Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

An insight for all travelling to the Medway towns for the game. Gillingham, Chatham, and Rochester form the Medway towns. Rochester was the home of Charles Dickens. A lot of history there and a pleasant place to visit with many decent pubs along the High Street. The railway station is a short walk away, with regular trains running through from the ‘Smoke’ stopping at both Chatham and Gillingham. Beware, Chatham is a dump. Known as ‘Brown town’, origin of the term ‘Chav’ and where the term ‘Chatham pocket’ came from. Full of ‘Scagheads’/Heroin addicts. Hence, being referred to as ‘Brown town’. The Chatham bottom is where they stash their drugs to avoid Police search powers. Gillingham is just as bad. Kent is known as the Garden of England.  When I was exiled here in 1997, having moved from Southampton to Margate (even worse than the Medway towns) I was told that this ‘Garden’ has a few cesspits, Medway, Thanet and Gravesend/Dartford. Trust me that about sums it up. The ‘cockney’ accent originates from the Medway towns. Before the East London docks were formed, Chatham housed the docks for the merchants shipping for London. When trade moved further up the Thames, the Dockers from Medway filled the jobs in the East End. Probably a reason that North Kent houses so many Wet Spam & Millwall fans here. Gillingham FC is the Kent club. It is a shame that most of Kent support London clubs or other big Prem clubs (Liverpool and Man U mainly), Tight little football ground situated in a residential area within back -to -back houses. It reminds me of the Dell and the houses along the Milton Road. Similar to where Nottarf Krap is in that place east of our great city. For all travelling enjoy the game. A nightmare trip from the South coast for you but the easiest one for me (for a change).  COYS ‘We March On!’    

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Margatesaint said:

An insight for all travelling to the Medway towns for the game. Gillingham, Chatham, and Rochester form the Medway towns. Rochester was the home of Charles Dickens. A lot of history there and a pleasant place to visit with many decent pubs along the High Street. The railway station is a short walk away, with regular trains running through from the ‘Smoke’ stopping at both Chatham and Gillingham. Beware, Chatham is a dump. Known as ‘Brown town’, origin of the term ‘Chav’ and where the term ‘Chatham pocket’ came from. Full of ‘Scagheads’/Heroin addicts. Hence, being referred to as ‘Brown town’. The Chatham bottom is where they stash their drugs to avoid Police search powers. Gillingham is just as bad. Kent is known as the Garden of England.  When I was exiled here in 1997, having moved from Southampton to Margate (even worse than the Medway towns) I was told that this ‘Garden’ has a few cesspits, Medway, Thanet and Gravesend/Dartford. Trust me that about sums it up. The ‘cockney’ accent originates from the Medway towns. Before the East London docks were formed, Chatham housed the docks for the merchants shipping for London. When trade moved further up the Thames, the Dockers from Medway filled the jobs in the East End. Probably a reason that North Kent houses so many Wet Spam & Millwall fans here. Gillingham FC is the Kent club. It is a shame that most of Kent support London clubs or other big Prem clubs (Liverpool and Man U mainly), Tight little football ground situated in a residential area within back -to -back houses. It reminds me of the Dell and the houses along the Milton Road. Similar to where Nottarf Krap is in that place east of our great city. For all travelling enjoy the game. A nightmare trip from the South coast for you but the easiest one for me (for a change).  COYS ‘We March On!’    

Not sure that people in Maidstone would be happy to hear you say that Gillingham is the Kent club. 

I grew up between Maidstone and Headcorn and have some (distant) relatives in Gillingham so have spent some time there unfortunately. Also had a couple of friends in Chatham who must have somehow avoided the missing chromosome in the rest of the gene pool around there by actually being normal people.

For utter shitholes in Kent I can't really look past the Isle Of Sheppy which I remember to be full of total scum and static caravans. There's even an estate there called Halfway House which tells you all you need to know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Not sure that people in Maidstone would be happy to hear you say that Gillingham is the Kent club. 

Or Margate for that matter. My second team and first footballing love, followed them up from the Southern League to the Conference in the late 90's/early 00's when they were managed by Chris Kinnear. Fun times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

I grew up between Maidstone and Headcorn and have some (distant) relatives in Gillingham so have spent some time there unfortunately. Also had a couple of friends in Chatham who must have somehow avoided the missing chromosome in the rest of the gene pool around there by actually being normal people.

For utter shitholes in Kent I can't really look past the Isle Of Sheppy which I remember to be full of total scum and static caravans. There's even an estate there called Halfway House which tells you all you need to know.

If Halfway House is halfway as bad as Stanhope then you have a point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Done at bit at Dover as well who I used to watch a bit many moons ago.

Yeah, nearly got them into the football league around the early 90's. He had a second spell at Margate and did alright in the early part of the 2010's.... Then went back to Dover again when their Chairman (Who was also former Margate and Dover chairman before...... Jim Parmenter) dangled a large cheque his way.

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

That's right, you never see a Gillingham shirt in Maidstone. One of the reasons Gillingham is a small club is that they have no wider Kent support, people will support London clubs or their local non-league side over Gillingham.

I did a job in Gillingham and got chatting to a old boy, who was moaning about a foreign surveyor not understanding the area, I asked where the surveyor was from, he said Maidstone, the two towns are 5 miles apart.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

When I moved to Kent in 09 I had this idyllic view of the garden of England, but quickly discovered there are some real shit holes.

I live in Canterbury but often do some outreach work in Sheppey schools. Really deprived place and majority of them have never been off the island. Sad really.

Gillingham on the other hand is just full of rotters. We'll be pubbing in Rochester.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

That's right, you never see a Gillingham shirt in Maidstone. One of the reasons Gillingham is a small club is that they have no wider Kent support, people will support London clubs or their local non-league side over Gillingham.

I did a job in Gillingham and got chatting to a old boy, who was moaning about a foreign surveyor not understanding the area, I asked where the surveyor was from, he said Maidstone, the two towns are 5 miles apart.

Haha. I'd say anyone from the north side of Blue Bell Hill would be judged as untrustworthy. A bit like anyone east of Fareham in Hampshire.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWD said:

When I moved to Kent in 09 I had this idyllic view of the garden of England, but quickly discovered there are some real shit holes.

I live in Canterbury but often do some outreach work in Sheppey schools. Really deprived place and majority of them have never been off the island. Sad really.

Gillingham on the other hand is just full of rotters. We'll be pubbing in Rochester.

The villages are lovely, it's just the towns which are generally a bit shit with a few exceptions.

A lot of small town mentality there. Some very insular places which is strange considering how close a lot of it is to London.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Cat said:

The villages are lovely, it's just the towns which are generally a bit shit with a few exceptions.

A lot of small town mentality there. Some very insular places which is strange considering how close a lot of it is to London.

Surprised Sittingbourne has so far avoided mention in a conversation re the insular shitholes of North Kent!

Gillingham boss Neil Harris: “Southampton should never have got relegated from the Premier League last season, (it was an) absolute disgrace how their squad got relegated.

“I watched them against Sheffield Wednesday and I think they made 47,000 passes! They will probably make more against us. That’s what the game is going to be.

“If anyone is coming to watch expecting us to have the ball, don’t bother coming. I will make as many changes as I physically can, to protect my players.”

😆😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 26

Right. For those of us who no longer live in catchment for bbc radio solent... is there a way to listen to the match commentary for free? (i ask since they've seemingly now introduced charging for the bbc licence fee paid for commentary...).

Or are there going to be streams?

Thanks in advance :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saintsfan79 said:

Gillingham boss Neil Harris: “Southampton should never have got relegated from the Premier League last season, (it was an) absolute disgrace how their squad got relegated.

“I watched them against Sheffield Wednesday and I think they made 47,000 passes! They will probably make more against us. That’s what the game is going to be.

“If anyone is coming to watch expecting us to have the ball, don’t bother coming. I will make as many changes as I physically can, to protect my players.”

😆😆

That's a brilliant setup to a punchline of Saints losing to a long-ball goal and one of our centre-backs and/or Baz to drop a comedy clanger. 🤡

9 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Right. For those of us who no longer live in catchment for bbc radio solent... is there a way to listen to the match commentary for free? (i ask since they've seemingly now introduced charging for the bbc licence fee paid for commentary...).

Full match on Talksport 2.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saintsfan79 said:

😆😆

Mind games 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

IPlayer, Settings, Change Location to South. 

3 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

That's a brilliant setup to a punchline of Saints losing to a long-ball goal and one of our centre-backs and/or Baz to drop a comedy clanger. 🤡

Full match on Talksport 2.

Try the BBC Sound App and select Solent it might be on there.

4 hours ago, Saintsfan79 said:

😆😆

I thought that was fake at first, had to google it myself. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Margatesaint said:

Great summary, do I assume correctly that you work for the 'Medway Towns Tourist Board' ??

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, stevy777_x said:

Any streams for the game?

1 hour ago, derry said:

I think the EFL don't even allow the clubs to televise the matches except for the two nominated televised games therefore there are no streams.

1 hour ago, derry said:

Try the BBC Sound App and select Solent it might be on there.

Yes you’re right it’s the Sounds app and not IPlayer as I said above. However, you do need to change your location in settings should you live outside the region. 

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Graffito said:

Yes you’re right it’s the Sounds app and not IPlayer as I said above. However, you do need to change your location in settings should you live outside the region. 

It's on Talksport 2 as well.

43 minutes ago, Graffito said:

It won't be on BBC Sounds.

EFL games weren't even on Sounds last year.

This season no games will be on BBC Sounds, you have to pay for Saints Player.

7 hours ago, Saintsfan79 said:

😆😆

Canny bastard. Does this means he's resting his starting XI and putting his reserves out?!?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic