Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

12 goals conceded and Baz could of done better with 1 of the Sunderland ones in my opinion where he was unsighted and didn't have strong enough hands, the other 11 were down to.both defensive lapses and excellent goalscoring.

Forster was statistical the best goalkeeper in the league for nearly half a season one year but that also wasn't down to the goalie it was down to the fact that big Vic, Morgan, Toby, Fonte, clyne and Bertrand stopped any fucker from getting shots off

Instead of just blaming goalies for the end result we should look at the forwards, midfielders and defenders just as much for each one of these goals.

I've seen KWP, Bednerak, Manning, Holgate, Edozie just to name a few responsible for goals, left alone the Maginot line aka our midfielders who are just static mannequins when the oppo get the ball.

Understand it's frustrating but we should judge players on this season not their last, you might be right over the season of course and I will agree, but no one predicts correctly after 5 games.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

12 goals conceded and Baz could of done better with 1 of the Sunderland ones in my opinion where he was unsighted and didn't have strong enough hands, the other 11 were down to.both defensive lapses and excellent goalscoring.

Forster was statistical the best goalkeeper in the league for nearly half a season one year but that also wasn't down to the goalie it was down to the fact that big Vic, Morgan, Toby, Fonte, clyne and Bertrand stopped any fucker from getting shots off

Instead of just blaming goalies for the end result we should look at the forwards, midfielders and defenders just as much for each one of these goals.

I've seen KWP, Bednerak, Manning, Holgate, Edozie just to name a few responsible for goals, left alone the Maginot line aka our midfielders who are just static mannequins when the oppo get the ball.

Understand it's frustrating but we should judge players on this season not their last, you might be right over the season of course and I will agree, but no one predicts correctly after 5 games.

Agreed, we are appalling from a defensive perspective, and a huge amount of that blame lies with the manager and the way the team are setup. He needs to tailor his tactics to improve this or we're going to struggle to meet expectations this season.

• Like 1

On 11/09/2023 at 09:40, Osvaldorama said:

Again, just tripe of a post.  

Goalkeepers make a huge difference to a defence. Of course it’s a two way street, but they make a huge difference. 

A weak and uncommanding goalkeeper would make even Man City or Barcelona’s back 4 much worse. As has been proven over and over again. 

Statistically ederson has very similar stats to bazunu, save percentage for example...

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, notnowcato said:

You do get that if Bazunu played behind the City defence he'd concede a lot less goals than he does playing behind the Saints defence, right?

Does that mean he is exempt from criticism from letting in goals he really should have saved?

Ederson would let more goals in if he was Saints goalie for sure, but I wager a lot less than Baz has

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Does that mean he is exempt from criticism from letting in goals he really should have saved?

Ederson would let more goals in if he was Saints goalie for sure, but I wager a lot less than Baz has

What are you talking about? No one is saying anyone is exempt from criticism. 

There’s been one goal this season he should’ve saved, some goals he could’ve saved. 

The heat is on the wrong position. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Iam not Baz biggest fan but some of the criticism is madness. There hasn't been a keeper for some while who hasn't been pilloried on here. 

• Like 4

Some of the conjecture and claims about this defence and that goalkeeper have gone beyond utter stupidity. It is what it is. A team in transition, a manager who was an ex defender that doesn't seem to grasp that defenders have to defend not indulge in increasing possession statistics and kamikaze attacking. The consequences are a young goalkeeper exposed to easy goalscoring opportunities and a number of critics pushing their obsessive agenda.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I pretty much roll my eyes at the people making out he's been poor this year and at fault for loads of goals. There have been a couple where you'd like him to maybe get nearer, but he's nowhere near as bad as some are making out. The defence has made loads of errors and we're set up to be extremely vulnerable and give away a lot of chances. He's a solid keeper, has good distribution and sweeper play, and his mentality must be strong (because despite finishing bottom last year and having fans on his back constantly, he doesn't show any real signs of low confidence imo.

Playing for a year in the championship in a winning side (and with a defence and midfield that will get used to playing together) will do him a lot of good - and hopefully he'll develop his command of the back line / cb's once we get some stability.

I think people forget he's a young keeper that went up 2 divisions and played behind a total shit show of a side last season. He's not as bad as many make out, and he certainly has a lot of potential.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, HKsaint said:

But I am pretty sure that City would not have won the title if Bazunu were the goalie 

I might be misremembering here, but didn't Pep replace Hart with Bravo, due in part to the latter's distribution from the back? I think there was an early error, where Pep backed him to the hilt. But I think there were more, and he was dropped and eventually moved on.

That was probably Pep's first season, as I think Hart getting the boot was an early call. And I don't think they did win the title.

If that's right, then I think the answer is that Pep wouldn't have won with Bazunu in goal, having dropped him some time before. But he wouldn't have won it with Bazunu's replacement either in the same season. 🙂

4 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

My last post today.. Perhaps not to blame for the goals, but why he has confidence in that defence and still passes short to them putting them under pressure I do not know...

He's told to do it by the nutter in charge.

Bazunu one of a couple who can hold their head high today.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Anyone blaming Bazunu tonight wasn’t watching the absolute weak melts playing in front of them today. Piss poor by many, senior pros hiding. Not many positives at all. But Bazunu not to blame at all.

Agreed, he actually did quite well tonight, apart from one suicide pass to Smallbone (or Downes, not sure) which he got away with. Would have been more than 4 without him. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Anyone blaming Bazunu tonight wasn’t watching the absolute weak melts playing in front of them today. Piss poor by many, senior pros hiding. Not many positives at all. But Bazunu not to blame at all.

Apart from saint Clark,who is blaming Bazunu?

• Like 1

Bazunu was good tonight.

Excellent distribution long range, some vital saves to keep us in it. He was massively let down by the defence and midfield in front of him.

Even he started pelting it long when he could see the CB’s were being too slow.

Third goal he should’ve done a bit better but then again the entire back none of the team fell apart there.

Could’ve been Khan or Schmeichel or van der Sar in goal tonight and it wouldn’t have made a blind but of difference.

Only saving grace is that it wasn’t McCarthy, in which case we would’ve conceded many more.

• Like 3

Bazunu kept that to 4, would have been 6 or 7 otherwise. 

Got to feel sorry for him really, that 4th goal said it all - what hope does he have when a player is running clean through on goal, from the centre circle, and he has no one in front of him? It's truly horrendous for the lad, we're totally and utterly destroying him in front of our eyes. 

I don't think he'll ever recover from his Saints experience.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

lol not a single person, not one, has blamed him tonight.

Exactly as Fareham says... 

29 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The usual haters won’t pop up knowing he’s actually had a good game.

That said I’m sure they’re very excited to mention another day how he technically conceded four tonight. 🤣

Baz had as good a game as possible considering the shit show going on in front of him, his distribution was pretty damn good as well (not that Martin wants us playing that way).

• Like 3

Probably our best player today - kept the score down. Could criticise him for the 3rd as he seemed to offer up a lot of the goal - but when you have 3 players running unopposed at you can see why your positioning may faulter. Was especially pleased to see him get good hands behind a well hit shot pushed out of danger for a corner. I’m hoping that ironically despite conceding 4 tonight will build his confidence. 
I’m unconvinced he’s a top 6 keeper in this league but so far he’s far from the problem.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

He had a good game last night.  Even saw him shout at a defender once and looked pissed off at their shit defending.

I saw that as well. I think with him confidence is a big thing but once he gets angry enough that’s when the best will come out of him.

I hope he absolutely lets rip at his defence going forward, the best goalkeepers are commanding and direct.

If he can add that ruthlessness then he’ll be an asset more than a liability in the long term.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I guess my previous negative comments could put me in that category, but I agree he did have a good game last night. Made a couple of decent saves and his long distance kicking (and throwing) was excellent. Very encouraging.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

That said I’m sure they’re very excited to mention another day how he technically conceded four tonight. 🤣

I think the comments in here highlight that he can still have an alright game and ship goals. That means in other games when people have been rightly critical, he can also ship goals and perform poorly. 

• Like 1

Saves wise, Baz had a decent game, made the saves he should have done and wouldn’t be expected to save any of the goals. In other words, did the job I’d expect a keeper at our level to do. Needs to keep it up for me to change my mind, one game isn’t going to do it, and I’d have expected every top half keeper in the division to have let 4 in last night. It’s a measure of how bad he’s been that when he actually performs at the required level it’s hailed. Well done Baz, you did your job. 

Distribution wise he was excellent, certainly his best performance for us and one of the best I’ve seen from a Saints keeper (although to be fair to ex keepers, not many others were ever really asked to play that way). The problem was who he’s distributing it to). Some nice pings and good throw outs, he was probably our best passer on the day. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

His long range passing is incredible to be fair

Indeed last night his distribution was excellent , both kicking and with quick long throws. Probably as good as any keeper I've seen .   Which begs the question, if his distribution is that accurate why the hell are they farting around passing the ball around and across our own area? Push everyone up and let him deal with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I hope he absolutely lets rip at his defence going forward...

He'll have to find it first. 🙂

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Distribution wise he was excellent, certainly his best performance for us and one of the best I’ve seen from a Saints keeper (although to be fair to ex keepers, not many others were ever really asked to play that way). The problem was who he’s distributing it to). Some nice pings and good throw outs, he was probably our best passer on the day. 

He was noticeably better at passing it out under pressure and having varied, accurate distribution than his opposite number. Did his job fine for one on ones to keep the score lower too.  He kept his composure despite being repeatedly exposed by the shambles in front of him.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu