Sheffield Weds 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

On 26/07/2023 at 15:19, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Looks like they’ve given us less than 500 seats in the lower tier so will look a bit naff on TV. Even though, like the top tier, the capacity has been cut for safety reasons I think they usually let around 1500 in the lower, seems strange if they only allowing us a third if so, unless they’re still hoping to sell some to home fans?

Hopefully the grounds upper and lower tiers allow you to mix so we can fill the seats below if not sold by then.

4 hours ago, oldsarum said:

The lengthy row of Saints coaches going up the hill away from the ground seemed to go for miles, it was an incredible turn out for a game on terrestrial TV (ITV) from memory, on a Sunday

we took around 3,000 to Blackburn in the previous round which was on BBC on a Friday night, impressive support.

Good to see our initial away support in Championship is holding up well, with near on 3K going to Reading, approaching 3k sold so far for Sheff Weds, 1.6K so far Gillingham and our allocation of 1.7k already sold out for Plymouth 

Very impressive numbers I think.  

It's a shame we get such a small allocation for Plymouth, seems to be one loads wanted to do and missed out on. 

September and October looks like very tough months for the travelling fan though, certainly no issues getting tickets for anyone who fancies Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Hull or Preston. 

21 hours ago, st alex said:

Recommended pubs

Thanks, I'm travelling single and discreetly (GF hates footie) so the pubs you mentioned are a good possibility. The Wellington looks another likely one, is that a possibility?

I'll be missing Turkish and his dungeon I'm afraid - staying clear of Harrogate on the A1M until I get to the squaddies and hack a left towards my friend's place. Haven't been away for years due to caring duties and really need a break: restaurant recommendations in addition to that food hall also welcomed.

39 minutes ago, saintoaks said:

Hopefully the grounds upper and lower tiers allow you to mix so we can fill the seats below if not sold by then.

From memory don’t think they can mix and they’re probably pretty strict on fan movement in that stand with past history.

Both tiers will have a lot of empty seats due to safety regulations but we’ve now got the 3 central blocks in the lower with a further 300 on sale. 3,100 in total, not too shabby for a 400-mile round trip on a Friday night.

1 hour ago, sad saints fan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66335147

This could make life interesting

No other way of putting it if the last few seasons are anything to go by - we'll be f*****d by the throw-ins alone. Quarter of the team double yellowed in the first half meaning having to keep things tight whilst burning through the 18 added minutes wasted on deciding who to throw the ball to!

Just have to hope the man on the whistle can the difference between ineptitude and deception 🤪

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Thanks, I'm travelling single and discreetly (GF hates footie) so the pubs you mentioned are a good possibility. The Wellington looks another likely one, is that a possibility?

I'll be missing Turkish and his dungeon I'm afraid - staying clear of Harrogate on the A1M until I get to the squaddies and hack a left towards my friend's place. Haven't been away for years due to caring duties and really need a break: restaurant recommendations in addition to that food hall also welcomed.

Not actually been to the Wellington, but it looks good, might pop in on Friday. Sheffield's blessed with lots of very good pubs. The Fat Cat, and Kelham Island Tavern nearby are also good.

Foodwise, depends on how much time and money you have.
Pina (Tacos), Domo (Italian), Native (Seafood), VorV (Vegetables), all around Kelham Island and are decent, VorV's a little pricier, pricer still is Joro if you're really looking to treat yourself. You'd probably be advised to book for all of those. Noodle Doodle (Malaysian), Beteseb, or CANA (Ethiopian) cheaper hole in the wall type places nearer the city centre. 

Or somewhere like Heist Brew Co in Kelham Island will so you decent burgers and chips. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, st alex said:

Not actually been to the Wellington, but it looks good, might pop in on Friday. Sheffield's blessed with lots of very good pubs. The Fat Cat, and Kelham Island Tavern nearby are also good.

Foodwise, depends on how much time and money you have.
Pina (Tacos), Domo (Italian), Native (Seafood), VorV (Vegetables), all around Kelham Island and are decent, VorV's a little pricier, pricer still is Joro if you're really looking to treat yourself. You'd probably be advised to book for all of those. Noodle Doodle (Malaysian), Beteseb, or CANA (Ethiopian) cheaper hole in the wall type places nearer the city centre. 

Or somewhere like Heist Brew Co in Kelham Island will so you decent burgers and chips. 

Is the leadmill still open? Great music venue 

5 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Oh bummer, you were my last hope!

On 28/07/2023 at 13:45, JRM said:

Very impressive numbers I think.  

It's a shame we get such a small allocation for Plymouth, seems to be one loads wanted to do and missed out on. 

September and October looks like very tough months for the travelling fan though, certainly no issues getting tickets for anyone who fancies Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Hull or Preston. 

Yeah I just missed out on Plymouth- fucking ridiculously small allocation for the Man Utd of the Championship 

58 minutes ago, whelk said:

Yeah I just missed out on Plymouth- fucking ridiculously small allocation for the Man Utd of the Championship 

Snap....so got tickets for Wednesday instead. Grateful that Saints released additional seats for the game but judging by the amount of green on the Saints website, it could be a bit lonely in the section.

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Bannon is their best player and ran game at St Mary’s in cup last year need to shut him down.

Don’t think we should be worried about any sides this year. We have more money and better players than most, if we get it right we’ll go up. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Don’t think we should be worried about any sides this year. We have more money and better players than most, if we get it right we’ll go up. 

The lack of goals in the side does concern me. But I am certain we'll make a striker signing or two over the next few weeks to fix that.

12 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Lost 2-1 at home to Luton today. Arent too many players I know there apart from Bannan, Windass, Paterson and Fletcher on the bench.

We need to get the wheels in motion early and start with a win

Their preseason doesn’t show anything to be fearful of

IMG_0098.jpeg

10 hours ago, Suhari said:

The lack of goals in the side does concern me. But I am certain we'll make a striker signing or two over the next few weeks to fix that.

Oh I completely agree, I have the same concerns as I did at the start of last season. 

Weak at the back and give cheap goals away, including a less than solid keeper.

And a lack of creativity and goal threat. I think we probably need either Sulemena to stay or us to bring someone else in if similar standard, and we desperately need a new no 9. 

But we *should* still go up with the finances at our disposal. However if we don’t get the recruitment right, we won’t, and there is no doubt the first month will be tough with a bit of a mish mash squad. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Snap....so got tickets for Wednesday instead. Grateful that Saints released additional seats for the game but judging by the amount of green on the Saints website, it could be a bit lonely in the section.

Out of the 700 extra lower tier tickets we received, currently only around 170 left, so you certainly wont be on you own 

Need the mindset right for this game. Saints need to act like Champions elect, stop thinking like the underdog, and play with some self belief.

Certainly have the players, seems like like we have a decent coach. Just need to get everything to click.

Sheffield Wed pose a physical threat, well drilled, and will play with confidence. Saints should have a considerable edge on skill and EPL experience.

Need to absorb early bluster then wear them down, quieten the crowd. No way will the Wednesday defenders cope with the pace of Tella, Edozie, Amo Ameyaw, and Armstrong. Should be a potential penalty right there.

Team for me should be

Bazunu

Tino Lyanco Stephens KWP

Charles Smallbone JWP Alcaraz

Tella A Armstrong

Lavia for Charles if he's still here obviously

Amo Ameyaw and Edozie to feature as subs

Question marks on Lyanco but assuming injuries still keeping ABK and Bendarek out of the team.

On paper that's a good side. 8 experienced EPL players and 2 Championship team of the year players.

Edited by macca155

25 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Need the mindset right for this game. Saints need to act like Champions elect, stop thinking like the underdog, and play with some self belief.

Certainly have the players, seems like like we have a decent coach. Just need to get everything to click.

Sheffield Wed pose a physical threat, well drilled, and will play with confidence. Saints should have a considerable edge on skill and EPL experience.

Need to absorb early bluster then wear them down, quieten the crowd. No way will the Wednesday defenders cope with the pace of Tella, Edozie, Amo Ameyaw, and Armstrong. Should be a potential penalty right there.

Team for me should be

Bazunu

Tino Lyanco Stephens KWP

Tella A Armstrong

Question marks on Lyanco but assuming injuries still keeping ABK and Bendarek out of the team.

On paper that's a good side. 8 experienced EPL players and 2 Championship team of the year players.

No chance Manning doesn't start, also no chance that Charles is on the wing? 

Bazunu; Tino, Charles, Stephens, Manning; Smallbone, JWP, Alcaraz; Tella, Amo-Ameyaw; Armstrong/Adams.

Would have had Stu in for Amo-Ameyaw but it looks as if he's injured. Edozie hasn't impressed me much in pre season. Toss up between Armstrong and Adams up top. Charles at CB unless Bednarek is fit. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

Bazunu

KWP*   Stephens   Charles** Manning

Smallbone    JWP***

Alcaraz 

Tella                                Edozie

Armstrong

*KWP if Tino is either likely to be sold / injured
** If Bednarek not fit
*** If JWP off then Charles instead, Bednarek or Lyanco CB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macca155 said:

Team for me should be

Bazunu

Tino Lyanco Stephens KWP

Tella A Armstrong

Lost 4 of their last 5 fwiw. Also lost a popular manager. Not sure they will be full of confidence tbh.

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

No chance Manning doesn't start, also no chance that Charles is on the wing? 

Leaving KWP out is a massive call but think you're right. 

Been impressed with Charles, assumed a 4 2 2 2 formation that allows JWP and Alcaraz to play further forward.

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

Leaving KWP out is a massive call but think you're right. 

Been impressed with Charles, assumed a 4 2 2 2 formation that allows JWP and Alcaraz to play further forward.

Not sure what's happened to KWP. He looked a big downgrade on Livramento yesterday. 

He's really regressed over the past year or so from being one of our best, most consistent players to someone who looks like they are going through the motions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Lost 4 of their last 5 fwiw. Also lost a popular manager. Not sure they will be full of confidence tbh.

Playing at home, raucous crowd, they'll have the adrenaline rush of a recent promotion. I was thinking first 20 mins really.

Just now, The Cat said:

Not sure what's happened to KWP. He looked a big downgrade on Livramento yesterday. 

He's really regressed over the past year or so from being one of our best, most consistent players to someone who looks like they are going through the motions.

He's been messed about a bit, needs to get his mo jo back.

7 hours ago, macca155 said:

Team for me should be

Bazunu

Tino Lyanco Stephens KWP

Tella A Armstrong

I can't imagine we're going to change formation at this point of the season...

Russell Martin on TalkSport this morning

Great to come to a club and have a champion in the squad, hope to work with him for a long time (Tella)

All players have been really good since I have been here, some players will leave and some will go straight back to the premier league

Want the fans to 'strap in' and enjoy the ride, we will not lose the core belief and conviction of what we are doing here with regards to style

I am fairly young a a manager and expect to be criticised with my style, being British. I am 37 years old and at a club like Southampton and am tasked with getting us back to the premier league. There will be some scary moments, but we have to be together

Sure players will maximise their potential with me and we can be successful

I would love a cut-off point where no more players can leave, but that is not reality. We will end up players a couple of games where players are starting for us, but will go

We hope to keep a couple of who are attracting interest, but reality is some will go

Players will lots of noise around them have been brilliant whilst here

We will plan to potentially use every player on Friday, but we have to be adaptable and prepared to be without them

There will be more than 10 teams who feel they have a very good chance of promotion, Boro, Norwich, WBA and others, alongside the 3 that went down

The 3 teams that came up from League 1 had brilliant seasons and will be competitive

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Russell Martin on TalkSport this morning

Great to come to a club and have a champion in the squad, hope to work with him for a long time (Tella)

All players have been really good since I have been here, some players will leave and some will go straight back to the premier league

Want the fans to 'strap in' and enjoy the ride, we will not lose the core belief and conviction of what we are doing here with regards to style

I am fairly young a a manager and expect to be criticised with my style, being British. I am 37 years old and at a club like Southampton and am tasked with getting us back to the premier league. There will be some scary moments, but we have to be together

Sure players will maximise their potential with me and we can be successful

I would love a cut-off point where no more players can leave, but that is not reality. We will end up players a couple of games where players are starting for us, but will go

We hope to keep a couple of who are attracting interest, but reality is some will go

Players will lots of noise around them have been brilliant whilst here

We will plan to potentially use every player on Friday, but we have to be adaptable and prepared to be without them

There will be more than 10 teams who feel they have a very good chance of promotion, Boro, Norwich, WBA and others, alongside the 3 that went down

The 3 teams that came up from League 1 had brilliant seasons and will be competitive

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

10 hours ago, Black Sea Saint said:

I can't imagine we're going to change formation at this point of the season...

Was less about formation, I've already been ripped apart for that, more about mindset. Got to think as winners.

Looking back since Saints last came up, 90 points gets you automatic promotion. 30 wins out of 46 matches. Maybe a few less and a bunch of draws. That is achievable but we need to believe.

Once a negative mindset sets in, it will be hard to maintain  momentum.

You've only got to look at some of the comments on here to see, quite understandably  that a fair few are still wobbly.

22/23 Bur 101 Shef 91

21/22 Ful 90 Bou 88

20/21 Nor 97 Wat 91

19/20 Lee 93 Wat 83

18/19 Nor 94 Shef 89

17/18 Wol 99 Car 90

16/17 New 94 Bri 93

15/16 Bur 93 Mid 89

14/15 Bou 90 Wat 89

13/14 Lei 102 Bur 93

12/13 Car 87 Hull 79

11/12 Rea 89 Sot 88

27 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Was less about formation, I've already been ripped apart for that, more about mindset. Got to think as winners.

Looking back since Saints last came up, 90 points gets you automatic promotion. 30 wins out of 46 matches. Maybe a few less and a bunch of draws. That is achievable but we need to believe.

Once a negative mindset sets in, it will be hard to maintain  momentum.

You've only got to look at some of the comments on here to see, quite understandably  that a fair few are still wobbly.

22/23 Bur 101 Shef 91

21/22 Ful 90 Bou 88

20/21 Nor 97 Wat 91

19/20 Lee 93 Wat 83

18/19 Nor 94 Shef 89

17/18 Wol 99 Car 90

16/17 New 94 Bri 93

15/16 Bur 93 Mid 89

14/15 Bou 90 Wat 89

13/14 Lei 102 Bur 93

12/13 Car 87 Hull 79

11/12 Rea 89 Sot 88

interesting to see our points tally is fairly low down on this list, though so is readings that year also (in title winning terms)

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

Any update on ticket sales? Have we sold out our end? Are we the best supported club in the land?

We sold the initial 2,600*, then another 500 and then another 300 and now sales have ended - I think?

*might've been 2,400 (either way we'll have roughly 3.3k there, give or take)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Each to their own, but I'd rather not go than sit with the home fans. 

Plus literally anyone can still buy in our own end at the subsidised price. I meet up with mates often at away games who follow the opposition,  few pints together before and after but never sit together at the actual match that would just feel odd to me 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sheffield Weds vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Sheffield Weds 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic