The depressing brass band death march

SaintsLoyal

Said it time after time…it’s a dirge. Depressing shite. 
Ever since they’ve been on the seen we’ve been in decline. 
coincidence….I think not.
seriously,it  really doesn’t act as a rallying cry for support…

not a slight on the band members…but it needs to be binned. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I seem to remember that back in the 60's the whole crowd sang OWTS at the slow speed. As time went by the Milton speeded it up, then a few years ago the Northam decided that doing it twice at the slow speed, followed by the faster speed was the way to go. I think that this why Saints Brass have done it that way.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Pip said:

How many of you moaning about it actually heard yesterday's version?

I thought the same reading this thread tbh. Apart from the opening, called by musicians an “intro” I believe 😉, the whole thing was upbeat. The idea of it getting faster at the half way line has been replaced so get behind the band playing OUR song ffs !!!

It's like a bad scent left over to remind you of last season, enough to send shivers down ones spine. Also the song 'won't stop till we're legends' last season seemed fitting as we didn't stop losing to the likes of Everton, Forest and others. Noticed they didn't play that "It started in a church" video bollox this time round.

The Saints are coming is a lovely reintroduction, other than that let the fans create the atmosphere. With all four sides of the ground now seemingly having a section for some chanting, I see no reason why we cannot. 

• Like 1

Far more upbeat yesterday, coupled with the video on the new big screens of our best bits over the years I thought it was decent.

Thought the teams were going to come out to Enter Sandman by Metallica as they played that straight after but cut it short after about 10 seconds!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

I’m ok with it, but I’d like a trumpeter to go rogue and start blaring out a jazz version as a solo then finish up with a knee slide. 

Good thinking.

Wonder if he could go ‘blackface’ and do the full Satchmo (Louis Armstrong for younger readers) style.

Think it might gain some publicity. 

Edited by Badger

31 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

I like it and consider it unique to us !

Always people around me clapping along and where I am in the Kingsland I've never heard any complaints !

Amazingly there are a number of critical comments on Saintsweb, who'd have thunk it 😆😆 !

Agree. Now they get to the quicker bit sooner, it gets even us old fogeys in the Kingsland clapping. And OWTS is our song.  It's important to keep tradition and anything that's particular to one club going, or every crowd becomes interchangeable.

Similarly good on the Norwich fans for still singing "on the ball city" - their song for many many years -  and Stoke for delilah (if it's still allowed!) .... etc.

Speaking as somebody whose 3 children have all played at the National Brass Band Championships Finals, and has sat through probably over a hundred concerts, the worst BB tune ever is "Ruby Tuesday", closely followed by a segue piece called "Santa Claustrophobia".

• Haha 1