Sunderland 5-0 Southampton

coalman

7 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

So, big half time for Martin.

He's gotta take a lot of the blame imo. He can't be blamed for individual player fuck ups but why does he keep playing AA as central striker when it keeps not working and we improve when he moves him. Why can't he see this midfield is too fucking weak without Charles in it?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Juice said:

Watching the goals: 

1st: Mara stands still with runner off him for free header

2nd: Manning too easily beaten in the air, Downes doesnt respond to the shot early enough

3rd: Holgate and Bazunu... just shocking 

Edozie stood still for the first goal 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danjosaint said:

How long will RM be given, clearly a decent guy but fuck, tactically piss poor and fu**ing deluded 

It’s a big September for him, and I think Wilcox watching on Sky will be saying on Monday ‘Russell, this is part of a tough run now, it’s going to be THB-Downes-Charles-Adams as a spine. Pick who you want around that’.

Empathy with Holgate, the manager has thrown him under the bus with that midfield and it’s not helping Bazanu either. He needs to own this defeat, shore it up to avoid it being 5 or 6 to destroy the season and bring some professionalism to his tactics to know when to be open and when to nick a 1-0 at Elland Rd on the counter.

He’s got arguably the best squad at this level, yesterday was clearly disruptive and Mowbray is running rings round him as a result. He can overcome today but must learn from this and the Norwich game to tighten the midfield, limit the crosses and long range shots coming in and screen the back four. 

If there are a couple more defeats like this during September where the level of disorganisation and lack of structure are so evident, he will be under significant pressure if Wilcox and the board don’t believe he can learn, adapt and adjust. 

His squad now. Let’s see what he’s made of.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Wait for some pricks on here jump on Baz for his first mistake this season

Well just taking this game the tree kick he saves but spoons out in front of him then the third goal - there's two errors and I'm being generous to him regarding the second goal where I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Not for me I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Shambles from start to finish. That's on the manager. We already know he can't set up a defence, but the midfield and attack make no sense today either. 

Why has Mara been picked to fail out of position on the wing when he made a difference last week as centre forward? Why is Adam Armstrong up top when he's been excelling in a deeper position? Why has Shea Charles been dropped so we can play Smallbone and Stuart Armstrong in a midfield with no physicality?

Just your daily reminder that the managerial fraud Ruben Selles has won as many games this season as football visionary Russell Martin, with a team made up of kids and bits found in a skip. 

I'm amazed how many people are unable to spell Bazunu given how often his name crops up around here. It's past the point of even mentioning his contribution - what else is there to add at this point?

Rubbish all round. 

• Like 4

Just now, saintant said:

Well just taking this game the tree kick he saves but spoons out in front of him then the third goal - there's two errors and I'm being generous to him regarding the second goal where I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Not for me I'm afraid.

Yep. Patted it back right into the danger area just like Norwich. But, of course, third goal was his first mistake...

Just now, Chez said:

First game I've watched. Sorry. Bloody hell. It's so slow and predictable going forward. 

Yep, me too. Missed every game so far due to other engagements. Was really looking forward to actually getting to watch for the first time this season, given our form, and this is what we get served up?

I hate to say "I told you so" about Holgate, but he really is poor, even at this level. A CB pair with him and Bednarek is a disaster waiting to happen. Add in the fact they have a keeper behind them who can't save a fucking thing that isn't straight at him, and we can kiss goodbye to a promotion push.

• Like 2

Just now, saintant said:

Trouble is, after what Martin said at the forum, he's pretty much nailed on to start. Martin will look a complete twat if he drops the best keeper in the league. 

Surprised with how we set up in midfield, especially away from home. Smallbone seems to be more advanced than Stuey at times and Downes has been way too exposed. Like Smallbone, great passer and links up play really. Would like him a bit deeper, like he played against Reading and Wednesday. 
Would also bring Fraser on for Mara, move Edozie to the other wing. Che for AA. 

• Like 1

I'd only done a bit of my post on rating the transfer window, and it's going to sound a little sour and based on this half, rather than what I'd typed 🙂

Some of that was based on my unfamiliarity with the players. But with Baz, we've seen plenty of games, and we're seeing the same errors all the time. The window did offer us a chance to bring in competition. But 1) we're desperately trying to push McCarthy out the door and 2) The SR dream is poisiton blind. If Tino and Lavia are worth bucketloads, why not a 'keeper of the same age. While numerous, affordable goalkeepers passed us by.

Yes, he is not helped by plenty of errors elsewhere for a lot of the goals we concede. Yes, he's not helped by the tactics that leave massive gaps, and a defence pulled all over. The first was a deflection too. Lots of reasons, but it can;t be good when every shot on our goal, I expect to go in.

There have been a few posts about Martin's tactics. One was a reminder of the fragility of playing a single style or tactic with gradual tweaks to it. Sunderland didn;t take a minute to suss it out, break it and score. Gaps we've already seen plenty of time this season.

Like Baz, yes it's early days in the season. Yes, we've had a large player turnover, and yes, we're not playing any of our top two strikers. Yes, we'd expect to improve. But they are big gaps to fill.

Midfield balance is off today, and we need an attacker. Martin will have been guted by that first 45 and no surprise to see Che and Fraser on.

Yet, in the first seconds, Sunderland again exploit that massive gap at full back and get a chance in.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson

12 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

How long will RM be given, clearly a decent guy but fuck, tactically piss poor and fu**ing deluded 

I know it's bad form to quote someone twice, but I can't quite get over the glory of this post.

We're undefeated, we've got 10 from 12 points yet after one bad half you're how long the manager, who is currently overseeing his fifth competitive game for the club, has left before being given the boot?

Both the very worst and very best post.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Sunderland 5-0 Southampton Saturday
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Sunderland 5-0 Southampton
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic