January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

19 hours ago, Barsiem said:

We're one of a number of clubs linked in the below article with a move for Brereton Diaz, who has done nothing at Villarreal

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23911999.southampton-reportedly-among-clubs-keen-championship-ace-loan/

I've never watched him play but he had a great record at Blackburn so knows how to perform in this league

He was shit when he was just Dan Brereton from Stoke, then added Diaz to his surname, started banging goals and got called up to the Chilean national team and was scoring for them. No idea if he’s any good now, Che and Arma we’re both 25 goal strikers at this level at one point…

I’d love to see a proper DM recruited in January, someone to protect our back 4 a bit more. A new CB to challenge THB and Bednarek for a starting spot might be asking a bit too much I guess 

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jack said:

He was shit when he was just Dan Brereton from Stoke, then added Diaz to his surname, started banging goals and got called up to the Chilean national team and was scoring for them. No idea if he’s any good now, Che and Arma we’re both 25 goal strikers at this level at one point…

I’d love to see a proper DM recruited in January, someone to protect our back 4 a bit more. A new CB to challenge THB and Bednarek for a starting spot might be asking a bit too much I guess 

Is that Stephen's role? Personally I'd like to get rid of Mara and Adams and bring in a different type of striker to give us another option. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Is that Stephen's role? Personally I'd like to get rid of Mara and Adams and bring in a different type of striker to give us another option. 

Maybe in the club’s eyes but Stephens is pretty mediocre at this level IMO bar the occasional couple of games 

12 hours ago, Jack said:

Maybe in the club’s eyes but Stephens is pretty mediocre at this level IMO bar the occasional couple of games 

Just to jog your short term memory a tad.   Stephens spent last season on loan at Bournemouth, (in the Prem) and did fairly well by most reports.   By contrast Bednarek was loaned to Villa and barely played.      Both are clearly very good CBs at Championship level.    Both are probably mediocre defenders at Prem level......but in the second tier, neither are mediocre.

• Like 10

https://x.com/sunderlandafc/status/1724129857968177574?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Looks like we won’t be going back in for Patrick Roberts then. I do wonder if we really need another winger if nobody leaves in January though. I see Kamaldeen and Arma either side of Stewart, with Edozie and Fraser in reserve. Still having Amo-Ameyaw as cover too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

https://x.com/sunderlandafc/status/1724129857968177574?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Looks like we won’t be going back in for Patrick Roberts then. I do wonder if we really need another winger if nobody leaves in January though. I see Kamaldeen and Arma either side of Stewart, with Edozie and Fraser in reserve. Still having Amo-Ameyaw as cover too.

I have high hopes of Amo-Ameyaw. But he needs some game time. Perhaps we could get him out on loan in January.

3 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I have high hopes of Amo-Ameyaw. But he needs some game time. Perhaps we could get him out on loan in January.

Might be best for his development. He did look very dangerous coming on as a sub earlier on in the season. Not the same impact starting vs QPR and pretty much vanished since.

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

...kinda hoping we go for Jack Clarke at Sunderland. Maybe he is besties with the Loch Ness Drogba?

This would be a fantastic signing. Plays the same position as Sulemana though?

I think Brentford are very keen to sign him in January, it will be interesting to see if Sunderland can keep him. He reminds me of Lallana a bit. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

This would be a fantastic signing. Plays the same position as Sulemana though?

I think Brentford are very keen to sign him in January, it will be interesting to see if Sunderland can keep him. He reminds me of Lallana a bit. 

If he makes Messi look shite then it's a "yes" from me

• Haha 2

I'd be happy if the squad stays as it is.  It's already better than the vast majority of teams both in terms of quality and depth.  It's probably only the right side of attack where we don't have a natural first choice player but even that enables us to give players that need minutes or don't deserve to be dropped an opportunity.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

...kinda hoping we go for Jack Clarke at Sunderland. Maybe he is besties with the Loch Ness Drogba?

No chance unfortunately, if he leaves Sunderland it'll be for the PL. Unless we sell someone then I don't think we need another winger. Sulemana, Edozie, Fraser, SAA and potentially Arma are great options for the Championship.

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I'd be happy if the squad stays as it is.  It's already better than the vast majority of teams both in terms of quality and depth.  It's probably only the right side of attack where we don't have a natural first choice player but even that enables us to give players that need minutes or don't deserve to be dropped an opportunity.  

Agree that keeping this team together would be the priority. I think the right hand side will be Arma’s position. With KWP given the license to go so high, we can afford to not play a proper winger there and he has popped up with goals from that position. Arma’s work rate is notably very high this season too.  Need to find a way to keep our top scorer involved.

Bree being a more defensive minded full back than Manning at LB gives freedom to Kamaldeen to dominate that LW too and we have The Loch Ness Drogba as our main CF.

If I was being greedy I would say an experienced CDM and a defensive but natural (left footed) LB would be the two positions that would improve the squad. We only really have Shea atm as and out and out CDM, although Downes is proving to be a great player for us in that role atm. A championship Romeu would be ideal for closing out games. We are probably a decent LB away from having the best back 4 in the league IMO.

Sulemana LND Arma

Alcaraz Downes Stu/Smallbone

NEW Beds THB KWP

Baz

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

No chance unfortunately, if he leaves Sunderland it'll be for the PL. Unless we sell someone then I don't think we need another winger. Sulemana, Edozie, Fraser, SAA and potentially Arma are great options for the Championship.

I agree with you, but worth remembering that Fraser is a loan.

4 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah this. Hard to better what we have in most positions unless someone who is definitely Premier League quality becomes available.

On 14/11/2023 at 11:39, goodymatt said:

Everyone forgetting my man Joe Aribo!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, goodymatt said:

If I was being greedy I would say an experienced CDM and a defensive but natural (left footed) LB would be the two positions that would improve the squad. We only really have Shea atm as and out and out CDM, although Downes is proving to be a great player for us in that role atm. A championship Romeu would be ideal for closing out games. We are probably a decent LB away from having the best back 4 in the league IMO.

Agreed, but I don't think that's being greedy. With injuries and suspensions, not to mention fatigue, we do need good back ups in those two areas.

• Like 1

There’s a chance Sulemana goes to the AFCON in January isn’t there? Could miss him for a fairly important part of the season.

For SAA, we should offload Aribo, Mara and Adams in January. Think they’re probably all ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment due to what they’re costing the club in wages. Wouldn’t sit well to have their big wages doing nothing every Saturday. Offloading the three who had offers in the summer, but still had question marks of whether they could do it in a lower league, to which they’ve answered (they can’t, barring Adams who stopped playing as September started). Then that creates the space for SAA to sit on the bench on a Saturday and potentially get minutes should we hold a comfortable lead. 

8 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Yeah this. Hard to better what we have in most positions unless someone who is definitely Premier League quality becomes available.

Everyone forgetting my man Joe Aribo!

He is a baller bruv, his sick tekkers he will cook in the champ. Give ma fam Joe a chance Russell you Bumbaclot 

On 10/11/2023 at 13:18, Jack said:

We do have a proper DM - Shea Charles. And he can play CB too.

In our current system it’s fair to say he is closest to what we might call a  “DM” but Flynn Downes or Will Smallbone - both amongst our most consistent players this season - essentially fulfil that role at present. 

FD is only a loan and Will does seem a bit tackle light at times and neither are big lads but with Shea waiting to come on in place of them who is a bit more of a unit and a baller as well I’m not so sure a DM is an absolute priority. Unless it was as a back up to those three in which case I’d probably be looking to our young players personally as 4th choice. 

The CB position looks v sound to me. Once JS is back we will have four strong players now Mason has got his mojo on - but only two positions available. And that’s without the CB option Shea offers. 

If anything we may be a quality FB light. Larios is unproven and seems always injured so if any of RM JB and especially KWP in addition get a knock we are a bit vulnerable. And I’d rather keep Mason at cb than try him out wide messing up the whole defence cos we don’t have a proper fb. In the 1st transfer windiw due we lost Perraud and Tino but only brought in manning.
I’d say an experienced, intelligent, FB that’s two footed would be high on the list. 

Edited by gio1saints

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

We do have a proper DM - Shea Charles. And he can play CB too.

In our current system it’s fair to say he is closest to what we might call a  “DM” but Flynn Downes or Will Smallbone - both amongst our most consistent players this season - essentially fulfil that role at present. 

FD is only a loan and Will does seem a bit tackle light at times and neither are big lads but with Shea waiting to come on in place of them who is a bit more of a unit and a baller as well I’m not so sure a DM is an absolute priority. Unless it was as a back up to those three in which case I’d probably be looking to our young players personally as 4th choice. 

The CB position looks v sound to me. Once JS is back we will have four strong players now Mason has got his mojo on - but only two positions available. And that’s without the CB option Shea offers. 

If anything we may be a quality FB light. Larios is unproven and seems always injured so if any of RM JB and especially KWP in addition get a knock we are a bit vulnerable. And I’d rather keep Mason at cb than try him out wide messing up the whole defence cos we don’t have a proper fb. In the 1st transfer windiw due we lost Perraud and Tino but only brought in manning.
I’d say an experienced, intelligent, FB that’s two footed would be high on the list. 

Ben Johnson can play both sides and fits that criteria. I wonder if we’re still interested.

Edited by SNSUN
  • Like 1

Need a left back. Manning hasn't impressed me at all so far with and without the ball. An out of position Bree has looked more solid and better with the ball in the small sample of games.

May I suggest Omar Richards, again. He was outstanding at Reading three seasons ago and got a great move to Bayern Munich on a free. Perhaps unsurprisingly he didn't usurp Alphonso Davies and they allowed him to join Forest for £8.5m two summers ago. He missed all of last season with a leg break. Forest have now loaned him to sister club Olympiacos for the season and unfortunately he's been out again, this time with a hernia problem. He is back though, having just played his first game for their b side. Maybe now is the perfect time to test Forest's resolve (and forward plans) and make an offer. 

• Like 1

I’d argue you’ve just given a number of reasons for us not to go for Omar Richards 😂

Good player a few years back but clearly too much too soon has set his career back. 
Anyone remember Dale Jennings from Tranmere back in the League One days? He went to Bayern, played for the second team, suffered injury problems and ended up playing non-league by his late twenties.

17 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

If I were on the transfer committee I’d be trying to negotiate deals for both Flynn Downes and Taylor Hardwood-Bellis; or at least have agreements in principle come January.

Think we have an agreement on THB if we’re promoted. 

I had forgotten until recently that the last time we were looking to bounce back to the Premier League after relegation, we sold Niemi, Walcott, Ormerod, Delap, Quashie and Fernandes all in the January window. We picked up 1 win in 9 after that point, not that we had been going great beforehand. 

Hopefully we got our sales out of the way in the summer this time, but I do wonder if there will be any more disappointments to come - have we recouped the money we wanted? Will we stand in KWP's way if he gets a big offer?

Being optimistic, Che might leave and be replaced, but i don't see too much other action. I think we'll keep faith with Manning. Maybe some random youth players will come in.

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

6 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

If I were on the transfer committee I’d be trying to negotiate deals for both Flynn Downes and Taylor Hardwood-Bellis; or at least have agreements in principle come January.

There is absolutely zero benefit to Downes and THB agreeing deals with us in the summer, no matter how much we might want them.