World Cup 2034 - Saudi Arabia

Wade Garrett

1 minute ago, John Boy Saint said:

They'll get exactly what this Saudi Pro League set out to achieve - the 2034 World Cup.

Hardly a surprise

Yep.  You’ve got cunts like Henderson who get paid extra to talk them up on social media.

I really hope that there is a backlash from national associations.  That is assuming, of course, that they can’t be bought.

Can see why FIFA set up 2030 to be across multiple continents to enable this.  Fucking greedy wankers.

Saudi Arabia, that hotbed of football that mustered up an attendance of under 700 for Henderson’s last league match.

Russia, Qatar and now this.  Fuck the World Cup.  

• Like 3

It was nauseating watching the Tyson fight on Saturday. Laura Woods endlessly thanking ‘his excellency’. Like some vulgar parade in the Hunger Games as they panned to celebrities.  Anyone who laps this up deserve all they get.  Not in anyway jealous either they  just look empty vacuous boring people in awe of wealth. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, whelk said:

It was nauseating watching the Tyson fight on Saturday. Laura Woods endlessly thanking ‘his excellency’. Like some vulgar parade in the Hunger Games as they panned to celebrities.  Anyone who laps this up deserve all they get.  Not in anyway jealous either they  just look empty vacuous boring people in awe of wealth. 

please god they dont do the build ups like the boxing then, was disjointed and all over the place.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

What happens if Israel qualify ?

Interestingly, Riyadh was looking to "normalise" relations with Israel. So it would have been fine, but...

• Riyadh is a sworn enemy of the present Iranian regime, who are fighting Riyadh via their proxies, the Houthi rebels in Yemen. 
  • The Iranian regime has of course expressed the wish to eliminate Israel from the map
  • Hamas (and Hezbollah) like the Houthis, are in effect Iranian proxies fighting against Israel
  • Hence the warming of relations between Riyadh and Tel Aviv, has among several motivations, that they share a common enemy in Iran and her proxies.
  • There is therefore a school of thought that the Hamas attacks on Israel on October 7th was in part motivated by an Iranian desire to torpedo the imminent normalisation of relations between Saudia Arabia and Israel. 
  • If so, it has certainly postponed any such diplomatic thawing for probably at least several years and therefore been a success on that front. 

...so who knows now? It is 11 years away so a lot can happen. 

Edited by adrian lord

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Once all the rich countries have had it, hopefully we get it at the decent European countries again. A winter world Cup sucks. 

What it needs is for the English, Spanish, Italian, German & French leagues to get together and say 'you're not going to cock up our winter leagues again, we're not going'....but sadly, that won't happen.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

What it needs is for the English, Spanish, Italian, German & French leagues to get together and say 'you're not going to cock up our winter leagues again, we're not going'....but sadly, that won't happen.

Why should nations that have their seasons through our summer have to put up with their seasons being cocked up every time?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Why should nations that have their seasons through our summer have to put up with their seasons being cocked up every time?

And what nations are these? Most of Latin America runs their football season similar to Europe, African leagues run from September to June but yes, we'd cock up the Australian season! The only reason they won't play the World Cup in the the Middle East in summer is it's too hot. So we all have to kow tow to the Middle East because they have the cash. Sod that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Streaky said:

About time England had a world cup. Germany has had 2 since we last had 1 and they caused 2 World wars.

It's mental to have countries investing in white elephant construction projects just to host some sportswashing competition after which they'll probably get mothballed, when London alone could host a tournament using just the existing stadia within the M25. 

• Like 5

Another middle east world cup, blatantly bought is ridiculous. FIFA really have no shame. Australia would have been perfect. Their winter and chance to grow the game.

A better idea would be for Saudi to fund a world cup in Africa or Indonesia. That would would leave a legacy in a continent that loves the game.

The next two world cups are a mess. Three countries in 2026 and three continents in 2030. Utter madness 😠 they are ruining it

The main European countries could host it, without having to build a single stadium.

Money, money, money

• Like 1

6 hours ago, macca155 said:

Another middle east world cup, blatantly bought is ridiculous. FIFA really have no shame. Australia would have been perfect. Their winter and chance to grow the game.

A better idea would be for Saudi to fund a world cup in Africa or Indonesia. That would would leave a legacy in a continent that loves the game.

The next two world cups are a mess. Three countries in 2026 and three continents in 2030. Utter madness 😠 they are ruining it

The main European countries could host it, without having to build a single stadium.

Money, money, money

But Australia have pulled out of a bid, after pulling out of hosting the Commonwealth Games.

I do wonder when FIFA will push it too far. I mean, this decision is clearly obscene on multiple levels and yet we all casually expected it. That in itself shows what utter disdain most “western” fans have for FIFA. It is morally redundant and everyone knows it.

Question is, I guess, when does western football call time on it. Do we actually need FIFA. I mean, do we actually need it at all? The money in football flows from a handful of leagues in Europe which is increasingly alienated by FIFA - and perversely these same money men buying world cups will realise they need to do more to accommodate the wealthy European clubs to protect those investments. I sense a growing conflict ahead.

Money always ruined “sport” at its purest level and with the unfathomable sums involved nowadays its getting more nauseating by the second.

• Like 3

Today's news: "In a decision that will surprise nobody, the World Cup has been awarded to the enormously rich nation of Saudi Arabia after the Australian FA were paid off handsomely pulled out of the running completely of their own volition. Fans of the World Cup have not been quoted as saying "Oh yippee, another winter World Cup! Why would anyone want to enjoy a warm summer's afternoon sipping an ice cold Cider in a beer garden whilst enjoying a game when they could be freezing their tits off drinking Mulled Cider whilst ignoring their Kid's Christmas activities at home." An anonymous media outlet said that they had tried to contact Gianni Infantino for comment but was told he was out helicopter shopping."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

I do wonder when FIFA will push it too far. I mean, this decision is clearly obscene on multiple levels and yet we all casually expected it. That in itself shows what utter disdain most “western” fans have for FIFA. It is morally redundant and everyone knows it.

Question is, I guess, when does western football call time on it. Do we actually need FIFA. I mean, do we actually need it at all? The money in football flows from a handful of leagues in Europe which is increasingly alienated by FIFA - and perversely these same money men buying world cups will realise they need to do more to accommodate the wealthy European clubs to protect those investments. I sense a growing conflict ahead.

Money always ruined “sport” at its purest level and with the unfathomable sums involved nowadays its getting more nauseating by the second.

Why is this too far, and not the next World Cup?

Canada - unsure of their footballing heritage. How strong is the Canadian league?

mexico - almost a mafia state that supplies the west with unlimited class A drugs

USA - racist country no? They have to defund the police, millions of guns on the streets and still execute people 

but Saudi Arabia is just too far?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Today's news: "In a decision that will surprise nobody, the World Cup has been awarded to the enormously rich nation of Saudi Arabia after the Australian FA were paid off handsomely pulled out of the running completely of their own volition. Fans of the World Cup have not been quoted as saying "Oh yippee, another winter World Cup! Why would anyone want to enjoy a warm summer's afternoon sipping an ice cold Cider in a beer garden whilst enjoying a game when they could be freezing their tits off drinking Mulled Cider whilst ignoring their Kid's Christmas activities at home." An anonymous media outlet said that they had tried to contact Gianni Infantino for comment but was told he was out helicopter shopping."

Australia also pulled out from hosting the commonwealth games.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Why is this too far, and not the next World Cup?

Canada - unsure of their footballing heritage. How strong is the Canadian league?

mexico - almost a mafia state that supplies the west with unlimited class A drugs

USA - racist country no? They have to defund the police, millions of guns on the streets and still execute people 

but Saudi Arabia is just too far?

There is no country in the world that doesn't have an element of corruption or lawlessness but the three countries you mention are at least acknowledged to be democracies, although how much longer the US stays so is anyone's guess. Also, as far as I know, the leaders of those three countries don't personally order their henchmen to bludgeon to death pesky journalists and then cut up their bodies with a bone saw and all done in plainsight of their embassy. Presumably you are quite comfortable with all this? You and David Beckham, I guess but the only difference is he'll be trousering £25m

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

FIFA is not fit for purpose. Shame football nations do not have the balls to boycott it, and start a new association. After all dont England have the original rights to the game of football

Rights to do what? Stop the world playing?

we are free to leave FIFA at any point. We are free to not participate in the 2034 World Cup. Like Gary Linekar was free to not take the Qatari Shilling. 

as said, the next World Cup seems to be fine, despite its own ridiculousness.

5 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

A few weeks old but this video sums things up well.

It's not even just Saudi, the next 3 World Cups are a shambles. Infantino is a bigger crook than Blatter.

3 games are in South America, and the others are in Spain, Portugal and Morocco, which is pretty close and much better than the next world cup

I lost interest in the world cup 20 years ago and it gets more so with each one passing. Mainly because i know England will flatter to deceive as our players are gutless prima donnas who do not have a winning mentality. I also lost interest as each time they just ignore England as a host nation despite our superb facilities. They hate us and we will not host another world cup in my lifetime. It's been to other countries twice since 66 and never to us even once. Utter disgrace of a set up and nothing to do with football at all hence for me it is not a competition I have any interest in.

• Like 1

Incredible that a country which literally murdered a journalist for daring to critique its leader can be gifted a World cup just a few years later. Fifa don't even pretend to hide their corruption anymore. Fuck, it almost makes me want Blatter back. At least he pretended it wasn't corrupt. Like Fifa now spreading the 2030 WC amongst 3 continents to ensure that 'only' Asia or Oceania could host the 2034 edition. And then only giving a month to get bids in when the tournament is fucking 11 years away. Sportswashing doesn't even begin to describe this. We've also seen just progress in the last few years in the womens games, and LGBT rights with some footballers now feel comfortable to be themselves. Yet we think we should allow a country that pretty much denies the rights to both groups have the WC? I look forward to the Henderson of 2034 give some sort of 'face saving' speech whilst he boards the flight there.

I'm relieved Australia didn't participate and waste money in this. It pisses me off as now the earliest we can ever host a World Cup is 2046. At least we have made the knock out stages and produced excellent footballers and managers. We would host a banging world cup. Just not a big money spinning one.

7 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

Incredible that a country which literally murdered a journalist for daring to critique its leader can be gifted a World cup just a few years later. Fifa don't even pretend to hide their corruption anymore. Fuck, it almost makes me want Blatter back. At least he pretended it wasn't corrupt. Like Fifa now spreading the 2030 WC amongst 3 continents to ensure that 'only' Asia or Oceania could host the 2034 edition. And then only giving a month to get bids in when the tournament is fucking 11 years away. Sportswashing doesn't even begin to describe this. We've also seen just progress in the last few years in the womens games, and LGBT rights with some footballers now feel comfortable to be themselves. Yet we think we should allow a country that pretty much denies the rights to both groups have the WC? I look forward to the Henderson of 2034 give some sort of 'face saving' speech whilst he boards the flight there.

I'm relieved Australia didn't participate and waste money in this. It pisses me off as now the earliest we can ever host a World Cup is 2046. At least we have made the knock out stages and produced excellent footballers and managers. We would host a banging world cup. Just not a big money spinning one.

country that butchered the middle east 20 years ago, has been awarded the Euros'....so.