Millwall 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

CSA96

49 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

He could do a decent job there imo. I don't think he's a bad manager, was just the wrong fit for us and at the wrong time.

Agreed. Let's hope they don't appoint him til next week as otherwise I can see them turning us over.

Longest unbeaten run

• 19 matches, 5 September 1921 – 31 December 1921

NB Millwall away was match 7 of Saints record breaking 30 matches unbeaten run in the Championship during the 2023-24 season that culminated in their automatic promotion to the EPL.

They won the EPL convincingly in 2024-25 by 8 points from dogged Manchester City, a triumph that included a remarkable comeback away win at the Etihad from 3-0 down at half time to win 3-7, and followed this up by beating Bayern Munich 4-0 in the 2025-26 Champions League Final. Saints are favourites to lift the 2025-26 World Club trophy taking place in Doha and star strikers Charlie Alcaraz and Kameldeen Sulemana are battling it out for the Ballon d’or. Eight time winner Lionel Messi has publicly acknowledged his vote for Charlie and he’s bookies favourite. Two  times Manager of the year and likely big favourite World Manager of the Year, Russell Martin, is being courted by Real Madrid and Barca who are all keen to embrace his “ tippy tappy crab football “ and black polo neck sweaters in a bid to regain their place in world football. 
😇😁

Edited by gio1saints
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, CSA96 said:

I don't think we have a match thread yet...

...let's kick it off with this :rolleyes:

Don’t see why anyone would go excessively out of his way to give him stick as in the reaction to this. He wasn’t very good but the narrative around him is/was very over the top. Didn’t get support from day one. I wish him well, just not against us. 

Hopefully we keep our momentum

Miiiiiiii llwall 0-2 Saints

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Longest unbeaten run

• 19 matches, 5 September 1921 – 31 December 1921

NB Millwall away was match 7 of Saints record breaking 30 matches unbeaten run in the Championship during the 2023-24 season that culminated in their automatic promotion to the EPL.

They won the EPL convincingly in 2024-25 by 8 points from dogged Manchester City, a triumph that included a remarkable comeback away win at the Etihad from 3-0 down at half time to win 3-7, and followed this up by beating Bayern Munich 4-0 in the 2025-26 Champions League Final. Saints are favourites to lift the 2025-26 World Club trophy taking place in Doha and star strikers Charlie Alcaraz and Kameldeen Sulemana are battling it out for the Ballon d’or. Eight time winner Lionel Messi has publicly acknowledged his vote for Charlie and he’s bookies favourite. Two  times Manager of the year and likely big favourite World Manager of the Year, Russell Martin, is being courted by Real Madrid and Barca who are all keen to embrace his “ tippy tappy crab football “ and black polo neck sweaters in a bid to regain their place in world football. 
😇😁

Yeah right, next you'll be telling me Bazunu wins the golden glove. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

He could do a decent job there imo. I don't think he's a bad manager, was just the wrong fit for us and at the wrong time.

I cant think of any manager who would have been a good fit for us last season. The damage had long been done and we were doomed even when Ralph was still here. It was just a matter of time.

Jones was still an absolute looney though. The job of a lifetime and he dug his own grave with his bizarre interviews and post match comments. He'll probably fit in well at the insane asylum that is Milwall

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

I cant think of any manager who would have been a good fit for us last season. The damage had long been done and we were doomed even when Ralph was still here. It was just a matter of time.

Jones was still an absolute looney though. The job of a lifetime and he dug his own grave with his bizarre interviews and post match comments. He'll probably fit in well at the insane asylum that is Milwall

We'd only played 14 games so this is revisionist horseshit.

If I remember correctly you were a poster very much in the Nathan Jones camp and very much signed up to the Sports Republic know exactly what they are doing viewpoint. Nathan Jones would lead us into the 23/24 campaign come what may.

This time last year I don't believe you were saying "we're down, we're doomed, nothing can save us were relegated, the damage is done".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Bart is bound to play a blinder.  Let’s hope Bazza does, too!

Seems half a lifetime ago that Bart played for Saints - for some supporters it probably is, literally, half a lifetime ago.       Baz is of a different generation and I doubt he's aware of the Bialkowski connection to Saints.

I'm wondering if BB has played against us since leaving - perhaps for Notts County in a Cup game?    Always rated him a bit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKsaint said:

Hope NJ will be appointed as their manager before  our match. 

I don't, his 'front-footed' aggressive approach will, initially at least, pump up the locals and give them a lift. It's heading for a full house so will be feisty and with over 3,000 Saints there that will just pump it up a little bit more. It's billed as a 'Remembrance Fixture' that always goes down particularly well around Bermondsey (as it does for a lot of us) and can see little benefit to us if NJ rolls up.

• Like 1

I feel we have it in our locker to get a tonking win against someone soon... but not against Milwall. Either it'll be one goal either way or a draw. The rose tinted specs means I'll predict a 1-0 win to Saints, with a rare clean sheet for Baz and the defence.

12 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I feel we have it in our locker to get a tonking win against someone soon... but not against Milwall. Either it'll be one goal either way or a draw. The rose tinted specs means I'll predict a 1-0 win to Saints, with a rare clean sheet for Baz and the defence.

I think millwall will be there for the taking on Saturday. The south london hard men will be in hiding in fear of a confrontation with the DEF, maybe a few will give it large from the safety of their home areas but roared on by a large and vociferous away following from behind the goal we will crush any enthusiasm they have off the pitch. 

it’s then on the pitch that our lads need to deliver. Sap the life out of their initial aggression and watch the lions turn into pussy cats as the lads on the pitch match the ferocity of the travelling army

• Haha 1

We’ll if the table is anything to go on, we’ll win comfortably. But look a little closer and you’ll see they’ve only lost one of the last 5 and drawn three. They’re a tough resilient team that doesn’t give up lightly despite their relative lack of skill. Add in Saints fragile nature and I can see a draw or loss being served up. After all, that’s the Saintsy thing to do. 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I don't, his 'front-footed' aggressive approach will, initially at least, pump up the locals and give them a lift. 

Like it did for us against Forest last season?

6 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

can see little benefit to us if NJ rolls up.

Except the chance for our travelling fans to resurrect the "your football is shit" chant. Would be worth it IMO (as long as we still win, of course).

Edited by Sheaf Saint

28 minutes ago, Challenger said:

This fixture has lost its appeal since Millwall built their present ground. Proper nostalgia was the old Den, full of atmosphere and colourful characters.

Yeah it’s definitely lost its appeal, with our over 3000 sell out. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, B Rabbit said:

If anyone has a spare ticket for this, would you please get in contact. Friend has flown over from Los Angeles for the game… and didn’t get himself a ticket 😃 

thank you.

Ricky Lambert on another thread just posted he has a spare 

• Like 1

Ricky's two late pens still such a happy memory on my last visit there. And growing up in SE London my Dad took me a few times in the 80s but we always stood with Millwall fans. Not sure why! We got good at keeping very quiet if we scored. I recall a Le Tiss pen to get a point while all around us were very unhappy. Saints to win!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintstowin said:

Ricky's two late pens still such a happy memory on my last visit there. And growing up in SE London my Dad took me a few times in the 80s but we always stood with Millwall fans. Not sure why! We got good at keeping very quiet if we scored. I recall a Le Tiss pen to get a point while all around us were very unhappy. Saints to win!

Took the Den pal? Not many people can claim that. Good on you. Doing us proud. A father and son team strolling around unchallenged in their end taking liberties. another reason why the DEF are so feared even our families supporters are tougher than their hardcore. 👏👏👏👏

Edited by Turkish

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Took the Den pal? Not many people can claim that. Good on you. Doing us proud. A father and son team strolling around unchallenged in their end taking liberties. another reason why the DEF are so feared even our families supporters are tougher than their hardcore. 👏👏👏👏

I think my Dad trod on someone's toes and only said sorry twice.  Den takers. No messing with us. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, saintstowin said:

I think my Dad trod on someone's toes and only said sorry twice.  Den takers. No messing with us. 

If he’d have had to say it a third time then the lad would have left picking up his teeth with a broken arm. This is how we do it in Southampton classy, not bullies but mess with us you’d wish you hadn’t 

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

I think millwall will be there for the taking on Saturday. The south london hard men will be in hiding in fear of a confrontation with the DEF, maybe a few will give it large from the safety of their home areas but roared on by a large and vociferous away following from behind the goal we will crush any enthusiasm they have off the pitch. 

it’s then on the pitch that our lads need to deliver. Sap the life out of their initial aggression and watch the lions turn into pussy cats as the lads on the pitch match the ferocity of the travelling army

Best way to deal with the angry twats in flat caps making endless throat slitting gestures is to wave at them with a foam hand

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, saintstowin said:

Old Den was an experience. Hostile doesn’t cover it. 

Millwall have a pretty poor home record so far this season as below.

Millwall 7 2 1 4 7 11 -4 7

I hope they do not get some kind of new manager bounce this weekend as really, we should be winning this game. That said, in a way it might be good for us if they appoint Nathan Jones in the next 24 hours as i believe he is the type of guy who will go out to prove a point and have every one wound up too much, which in turn will mess them up and see a red card etc. I don't believe this myth about Millwall being a tough place to go. I went there a few times in the 80's and never felt their home support was all that. Come out hot from the blocks and get an early goal and we will have the crowd on their backs.

Things seem to be coming together a little for RM, so I have a feeling we will win this one something like 0-1 or 1-2.

9 hours ago, whelk said:

Best way to deal with the angry twats in flat caps making endless throat slitting gestures is to wave at them with a foam hand

Remember our last trip to Millwall? They retained their hide and seek champion title, couldn’t find them anywhere then this inside the ground, what a day 

E210FAA9-1906-489C-98E6-31A123AF407E.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Remember our last trip to Millwall? They retained their hide and seek champion title, couldn’t find them anywhere then this inside the ground, what a day 

E210FAA9-1906-489C-98E6-31A123AF407E.jpeg

If only we  could have scenes like that,  I could get excited about going to matches again.  Is that Rangers at Dundee last night? What brought all that on for a routine League game?

3 hours ago, coalman said:

If you change at Clapham Junction you can get a train to Queen's Road Peckham and it's about 20mins walk from there.

For Palace we’ve done Southern trains to Croydon, usually works out cheaper than going to Waterloo, never done it for Millwall before but I guess could be another option Saturday. It will be dark by the time everyone’s out of the ground so probably best sticking to more familiar routes in the circumstances!

If it’s replacement buses then a large chunk of the 3,000 Saints and thousands more home fans (looks like a full house) will be in hefty queues trying to get away. Best behaviour everyone.

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers

4 hours ago, Saint In Cornwall said:

Annoyingly I have 2 tickets 1 full price and 1 concession and now cannot go. As per my name I am too far away to hand them over :(

Just an idea, call the club and say they haven't arrived, if they arrange duplicates to collect someone could try that giving your name at the Millwall ticket office. 

On 31/10/2023 at 23:26, CB Fry said:

We'd only played 14 games so this is revisionist horseshit.

If I remember correctly you were a poster very much in the Nathan Jones camp and very much signed up to the Sports Republic know exactly what they are doing viewpoint. Nathan Jones would lead us into the 23/24 campaign come what may.

This time last year I don't believe you were saying "we're down, we're doomed, nothing can save us were relegated, the damage is done".

Talking shit as usual CB. I was in the Nathan Jones in camp from the outset, like I am for every manager who is appointed to the club. The club has people to make them decisions and are more qualified than some plebs on a fan forum so they get my support. I like other fans are allowed to change our minds if performances get worse and his comments to the media also didnt help matters with the fans.

Is the alternative to be like you and criticise every appointment we make, and when results dont go our way (like they do for every manager) you can shout loudest about how you were right. You must be raging that our form under RM has picked up the last 4-6 weeks. Whopper

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, JRM said:

Just an idea, call the club and say they haven't arrived, if they arrange duplicates to collect someone could try that giving your name at the Millwall ticket office. 

Flaw in that plan is you might need to provide ID for collection. ( We had to at Hull for instance). 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Millwall 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic