Millwall 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

CSA96

2 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Great to win again in injury time.  But, and I am sorry to say this, yet again I am underwhelmed by our performance and, as in the other late-win games, I have no feeling of satisfaction in our win - because of the manner of it (tiring the opposition out so that they are out on their feet) before scoring after about four minutes of injury time.  More, a feeling of sheer relief in winning three points.  And I cannot understand how AA was not given offside; unless he was off the field of play when, I think, CA passed to him and came back onto the pitch after the pass to him was made and then slid the ball back to RF, whose first-time strike was exceptionally good.  Millwall won nearly all the physical battles and we played too much tippy-tippy passing without any real intent to draw them out of position, even fannying about in our own half after several minutes of extra time.  Still, you cannot knock the three points.  I note our goal difference is at least 10 worse than our main rivals’ so we need to win our future games by more than one goal to make inroads into that deficit.  The next game, against WBA will not be easy.  But here’s hoping for the best.

Incidentally, my first years of attending games were at the (old) Den, which was well to the north of the New Den, in the 1950s.  My dad and I used to walk to the ground from our house via the Rotherhithe tunnel.  It took what seemed to be an age to get there.  I seem to remember that the pies were good.  I was obviously too young to know what the beer was like; we used to take a flask of tea.  My first game was Millwall v Accrington Stanley.  The Lions have been my second team since I moved to Southampton in the late ‘50s.I am sorry to see them so near the relegation places but, hey, that is the price of our Saints’ promotion push.

Ever the optimist!  The Saints way.

There is nothing more satisfying than a last minute win. Sometimes I'm confused as to what some fans actually want.

We're not Barcelona, Bayern munich or whoever. We're Southampton, enjoy the wins when they come however they come.

• Like 26

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There is nothing more satisfying than a last minute win. Sometimes I'm confused as to what some fans actually want.

We're not Barcelona, Bayern munich or whoever. We're Southampton, enjoy the wins when they come however they come.

The first half wasn't particularly great but it wasn't that bad. Just a bit slow and a lack of composure in the final third. Apart from a few set pieces I never thought Millwall would score in that game.

The second half was just total domination from us, we looked very good indeed.

Those who were underwhelmed by an away performance like that must lead a pretty sad life.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Great to win again in injury time.  But, and I am sorry to say this, yet again I am underwhelmed by our performance and, as in the other late-win games, I have no feeling of satisfaction in our win - because of the manner of it (tiring the opposition out so that they are out on their feet) before scoring after about four minutes of injury time.  More, a feeling of sheer relief in winning three points.  And I cannot understand how AA was not given offside; unless he was off the field of play when, I think, CA passed to him and came back onto the pitch after the pass to him was made and then slid the ball back to RF, whose first-time strike was exceptionally good.  Millwall won nearly all the physical battles and we played too much tippy-tippy passing without any real intent to draw them out of position, even fannying about in our own half after several minutes of extra time.  Still, you cannot knock the three points.  I note our goal difference is at least 10 worse than our main rivals’ so we need to win our future games by more than one goal to make inroads into that deficit.  The next game, against WBA will not be easy.  But here’s hoping for the best.

Incidentally, my first years of attending games were at the (old) Den, which was well to the north of the New Den, in the 1950s.  My dad and I used to walk to the ground from our house via the Rotherhithe tunnel.  It took what seemed to be an age to get there.  I seem to remember that the pies were good.  I was obviously too young to know what the beer was like; we used to take a flask of tea.  My first game was Millwall v Accrington Stanley.  The Lions have been my second team since I moved to Southampton in the late ‘50s.I am sorry to see them so near the relegation places but, hey, that is the price of our Saints’ promotion push.

No feeling of satisfaction from a win like that haha you fucking lunatic. 

Luckily all of us in the ground thought it was fucking marvellous! Made being kept in afterwards much more fun than I thought it was going to be 5 minutes previous.

Not long got home and just stuck a bit of Johnny Cash on 😁

Edited by EssEffCee
  • Like 12

Yes, as far as last minute wins at hostile grounds in front of your own support goes, it was very disappointing. 

I was more excited in 1989 when we won a corner against West Brom, that I believe, and television pictures later indicated, should in fact have been a goal kick.

• Haha 13

Had to watch the game in the home stand to the right of our fans as no chance of an away ticket and my mate is a Millwall fan. 
Thought we played so well and totally controlled the game. Manning is a liability when he came on but thought so many players had a good game. 
Not their greatest fans but Baz and Jan played well and so did Charlie. 
How tough was it not to leap up when we scored, especially after listening to 90+ minutes of total shite from the Millwall fans.
Plus top effort from our away support, at the end was so good to hear and felt like back in the Adkins days when we were building towards something!!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Saint NL said:

Look at the atmosphere there, like we won the cup

Was the same at Preston and that was only a draw! But you have to live the moment, or you will never celebrate! 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

KWP brilliant, Downes brilliant, central defence super solid. First half was a bit pedestrian, but you add a goalscorer to this team and you have the minimum of a mid table premiership side. Really impressive.

Don't want to stay in this league, but this has been the most exciting Saints football for years.

COYR.

We are on a decent roll, but let's not run before we can walk.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I don’t know what to think anymore.

I think we all know this is a very strange league. Possibly stronger than it’s ever been. 

You then look at the Prem table so far and screams if we were in it this season a mid table berth would be no problem.

I can’t double guess it with RM at the moment.

But our team seems to be playing to 95 minutes plus which is a really good thing.

I’ll take that all day long, but that will be our undoing if RM is just living on pure luck at the moment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Fuck me ... find another sport fella!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

The first half wasn't particularly great but it wasn't that bad. Just a bit slow and a lack of composure in the final third. Apart from a few set pieces I never thought Millwall would score in that game.

The second half was just total domination from us, we looked very good indeed.

Those who were underwhelmed by an away performance like that must lead a pretty sad life.

Agreed, Millwall set up to try to frustrate us and sit ultra deep,  got to enjoy a win like that 

I bloody love a last minute goal.

I can not understand for the life of me, fans that are complaining about them. It’s the best way to win a game!?

Surely there’s no better indication of the teams desire and determination than a last minute goal, trying till the very end.

Im old enough to remember the Man Utd of the 90s, you just knew they’d always score late because they never gave up, the famous Chmspions League final commentary sticks in my head “can they score, they always score”they never gave up, “Fergie time” it was called back then.

i had that same feeling watching us today, attack after attack in that second half, I just knew we’d score.

87th minute winner vs Sheff Wed 
97th minute equaliser vs Norwich
94th minute winner vs Plymouth
95th minute winner vs Hull
96th minute equaliser vs Preston
93rd minute winner vs Millwall

Some of the football in the second half was just immense to watch, it really was.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

He was a bit of a hero for us. Not quite so random. 

I get that but what I mean is he was a lad from Lancaster, as northern as it gets, came through the Blackburn academy and only played for us for 7 years of a career that lasted over 20. 

We also managed it with Tessem, Pahars, Lundekvam, Hammond and plenty others they I'm blanking on right now. Even Adam Blackmore who grew up a Villa fan now says he considers himself a Saints fan.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Saint Gifford said:

I don’t know what to think anymore.

I think we all know this is a very strange league. Possibly stronger than it’s ever been. 

You then look at the Prem table so far and screams if we were in it this season a mid table berth would be no problem.

I can’t double guess it with RM at the moment.

But our team seems to be playing to 95 minutes plus which is a really good thing.

I’ll take that all day long, but that will be our undoing if RM is just living on pure luck at the moment.

It’s not luck if it keeps happening.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

No feeling of satisfaction from a win like that haha you fucking lunatic. 

Luckily all of us in the ground thought it was fucking marvellous! Made being kept in afterwards much more fun than I thought it was going to be 5 minutes previous.

Not long got home and just stuck a bit of Johnny Cash on 😁

After being corralled from the station although quite friendly lot one riot squad was from Romsey who hates sport! Missed the first 11 mins and stupid police block in the away end concourse I totally agree fucking marvellous win!!!

Millwall poor and only that giant looked dangerous set pieces Baz had quiet game as Bednarek and THB were excellent. Tempo too slow and need a striker but great win.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dan Johnson said:

87th minute winner vs Sheff Wed 
97th minute equaliser vs Norwich
94th minute winner vs Plymouth
95th minute winner vs Hull
96th minute equaliser vs Preston
93rd minute winner vs Millwall

You've got to give credit to the manager here - his style forces other teams to fatigue over the game giving us these late chances to score

• Like 4

A lot of criticism early season about Russell Martin's " total possession tactics"  ( 73% yesterday at Millwall ) 

but it's taken several factors to become successful.   It really does tire the opposition late on in games and 

several of their players were running (or should we say " walking) ..on empty in the last 10 minutes, and 

several of those who were subbed off looked totally exhausted. 

Game 15 yesterday, but only the third time that RM has had the luxury of the same start side in successive games. 

Hopefully this is beginning to work now, and the subs. are beginning to look inspired, (second time for Fraser).

Pity Bree was injured, he is beginning to look like the real thing in both FB positions, but need a special mention for

Adam Armstrong.  Now being free of " the burden" of having to play alongside Ché Adams he has a new lease of life.

Aside from being amongst the leagues leading scorers, he contributes his share of assists and pops up all over the field,

both as a creator and defender, and is a great inspiration to the whole squad. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

https://x.com/toby28831000/status/1720869243988664649?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Just found this video from behind the goal when we scored, absolute limbs!

“F****** come on” 😂

Surprises me watching that to see 4 Millwall players outside the box when we're attacking there, you'd think with 30 seconds on the clock and them being satisfied with the point they'd have all dug deep and put their bodies on the line.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Surprises me watching that to see 4 Millwall players outside the box when we're attacking there, you'd think with 30 seconds on the clock and them being satisfied with the point they'd have all dug deep and put their bodies on the line.

Tired defending I guess, agree you’d expect to see the lowest of blocks in the 93rd minute. 

We can’t rely on scoring so late every game, surely that isn’t sustainable. It’s a nice habit at the moment though!

4 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Tired defending I guess, agree you’d expect to see the lowest of blocks in the 93rd minute. 

We can’t rely on scoring so late every game, surely that isn’t sustainable. It’s a nice habit at the moment though!

We sure can't. It's inevitable that the last kick goal will go against us sooner rather than later. 

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Saw Millwall fan saying goal shouldn’t have stood as Armstrong left pitch and offside came back on?

He was offside, but it was played to him by a Millwall player so irrelevant. Nobody else touched it between Armstrongs two touches.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Saw Millwall fan saying goal shouldn’t have stood as Armstrong left pitch and offside came back on?

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He was offside, but it was played to him by a Millwall player so irrelevant. Nobody else touched it between Armstrongs two touches.

A player that leaves the pitch is considered to be on the goal line as far as offsides are concerned but as you say the ball came to him off a Millwall player.

From a Millwall forum.

I only watched the 2nd half yesterday, Southampton had quality all over the pitch, when they got the ball, they moved it around, to do so, players have to FUCKING MOVE. While a lot of their passing wasn't always hurting us in relation to the score line, it made us run around like headless chickens wasting valuable energy and in the latter part of the game it showed.

We on the other hand, didn't know what to do with it when we got it half the time, passing seemed to be something very few were capable of with any accuracy, although, saying that, there were 2 occasions when we moved it fast, direct, ON THE GROUND, and created momentum even if it only resulted in 2 shots from outside the box. It got me applauding them from the other side of the world. It showed that we CAN be direct and pose a threat when done correctly, it showed that we CAN and DO have the ability to pass the ball in an attacking manner and this against a team who had the ability to run rings around us. There is hope.

Overall though, we were second best all over the pitch and things have to change and fast. We do have the players to play attacking football, we need to make our home a fortress as it is stunningly obvious in results and performances, that the players are nervous as fuck, probably due to the abuse given to them by home fans from time to time, which, although I get, has to be directed in a constructive manner, not after 10 pints and a bit of doings.

I saw someone talking about our midfielders and that none of them can play, I disagree. I think it is the WAY we play that prevents them from being as effective as they could be, although, yesterday for instance, after seeing Southampton knock it around and through us at will, did cause me to shout "get closer to him then you cunt" on more than one occasion.

I was always taught to defend from the front, can't effectively do that with 1 upfront so we start defending from the midfield, who it seems have been told to defend the defence so they give ground in the middle of the park allowing teams to knock it about, gain confidence, and get us on the back foot AT HOME. If we need to change one thing, it is to stop this bollocks at home, away from home, fair enough, but at home, get at em, get the crowd on your side and go for it. Why have 11 defending a corner? We get the clearance to the half way line, where 2 Southampton players pick it up and start again, managing to play it through and around us to feet when they are outnumbered, how about leaving the strikers ( plural used there as we should always play with 2 at home ) up front either side of the center circle to pick up the clearances, that would automatically mean Soton having to have at least 3 stay back and maybe 4. Anyway, I could go on, but rant over. We are capable, we just need someone to steer the team in the right direction.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

it is stunningly obvious in results and performances, that the players are nervous as fuck, probably due to the abuse given to them by home fans from time to time, which, although I get, has to be directed in a constructive manner, not after 10 pints and a bit of doings.

after seeing Southampton knock it around and through us at will, did cause me to shout "get closer to him then you cunt" on more than one occasion.

Some proper constructive criticism from the Millwall sage there.

• Haha 4

Just now, Kenilworthy said:

What was going on the away stand before the game? I was in row B of the upper tier and for the first 15 minutes there was a stream of fans passing in front of us who had been directed up the left side rather than coming up the main stairway.

The police were directing everyone up that way rather than through concourse was stupid

16 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

The police were directing everyone up that way rather than through concourse was stupid

The policing at London games has always been absurd. I remember QPR away being directed out of the stadium on the side that sends you miles and miles around to get back to the tube station instead of the one thats two minutes walk. 

On 01/11/2023 at 12:41, Turkish said:

I think millwall will be there for the taking on Saturday. The south london hard men will be in hiding in fear of a confrontation with the DEF, maybe a few will give it large from the safety of their home areas but roared on by a large and vociferous away following from behind the goal we will crush any enthusiasm they have off the pitch. 

it’s then on the pitch that our lads need to deliver. Sap the life out of their initial aggression and watch the lions turn into pussy cats as the lads on the pitch match the ferocity of the travelling army

Went As predicted. Whilst the last minute loss to Millwall must have hurt at least the bushwackers retained their title as hide and seek champions of the England. 👊👻

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I love late wins and you are right. I do however wonder how long we can keep on picking points up in this manner. I would like to see us a few goals clear and coasting in a few more games so we don't have to rely on very late winners or equalisers. It's not going to work out every time. 

• Like 2

We are not the plucky underdog in this league, fingers crossed we can scrape victories at Millwall and Hull.

Whether you like it or not, this season we are the Barca or Bayern of this division, alongside Leicester and Leeds.

• Like 2

so many things wrong with this statement, given the context of this season, to be fair.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, austsaint said:

Someone said last week (Derry I think), that Saints couldn't keep relying on hail mary, last gasp results, and I agree.   Just the same, it does point up the strength of the squad and the fatigue element for oppositions forced to run and defend without the ball.     Leicester and Ipswich have also relied on narrow wins and last minute draws this season highlighting the role of good fortune in a tight, grinding league like this.

Another 'Hail Mary' goal, We deserved to win however we need to score more goals. Having said that we have a tendency when we score early to take our foot off the gas and sit a bit deeper often conceding. There's no question that scoring late in injury time deflates the opposition, and usually seals a result. We have to deal with this passive mode after scoring early and step up the control rather than concede it. Hopefully Stewart coming in and stays fit will give us a natural finisher. In the end if it takes a late goal to settle the result then so be it. The more we do it the better we will get at it and the more teams on the edge will try and defend giving us more opportunity.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I get that but what I mean is he was a lad from Lancaster, as northern as it gets, came through the Blackburn academy and only played for us for 7 years of a career that lasted over 20. 

We also managed it with Tessem, Pahars, Lundekvam, Hammond and plenty others they I'm blanking on right now. Even Adam Blackmore who grew up a Villa fan now says he considers himself a Saints fan.

It’s because we’re bloody brilliant. 

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Wonder how many extra they put on due to the station closure? Shouldn’t allow it when Millwall at home.  When went last time was completely segregated so nothing for police to do really 

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

They did let everyone through eventually when the crowd started to get really congested. Beyond stupid to do it in first place though.

If that was a Leeds/Cardiff/Brum type club reckon it'd have kicked right off before the game.

Edited by EssEffCee
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

They did let everyone through eventually when the crowd started to get really congested. Beyond stupid to do it in first place though.

If that was a Leeds/Cardiff/Brum type club reckon it'd have kicked right off before the game.

Leaving the ground was a joke too. I get that the station was shut so we had to go another way but forcing 3000 fans to squeeze between all of the coaches was just dangerous. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

The policing at London games has always been absurd. I remember QPR away being directed out of the stadium on the side that sends you miles and miles around to get back to the tube station instead of the one thats two minutes walk. 

I remember a long long time ago when Keegan was playing for us, after the game at QPR, three of us were trying to get to my car and we were directed by police down this long road and told to hide our colours, Half way down the road we were onset by 30 QPR looking for blood. They caught up with one of our group of three and beat the shit out of him. Sounds like things haven't changed much.

1 hour ago, Saint Billy said:

I remember a long long time ago when Keegan was playing for us, after the game at QPR, three of us were trying to get to my car and we were directed by police down this long road and told to hide our colours, Half way down the road we were onset by 30 QPR looking for blood. They caught up with one of our group of three and beat the shit out of him. Sounds like things haven't changed much.

How did you get away from 30 odd adults? Were you just a bit more pacey?