Millwall 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

CSA96

That second half performance was so good, it would have been an absolute travesty had we not won based on that. We don't like making it comfortable this year, but there's nothing better than a last min result at any level. Just gives everyone that extra bounce.

This bunch clearly have something about them as they keep going to the death, they've done it in every single game this year. The late goals are no coincidence and they are the sign of a very good team. We can somewhat see Leicester and Ipswich on the horizon again, but still a very tall order to get near them.

If we can get ourselves a win to finish this block of fixtures and make 30 points, then we'll be in a great nick for the Christmas fixture fest. That's where season defining gaps are formed.

• Like 20

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Am gonna claim the credit for this win as we always score when I switch off, streams were painful today.

Fraser is doing some post match press ...

"We work to the last kick...great team spirit...12th Man of the fans vital...one in particular, called conv..." oh, my stream has gone now too... 🙂

• Haha 1

Piece of piss - lolz. Second half we are right on the money so a deserved win. Clean sheet too with the crucial THB Janny B partnership looking solid. Glad it was our Jockanese Duracell Bunny that nicked it with a cool finish. In many ways Fraser epitomises what is being formed - a close knit, hardworking squad of players who aren’t beaten until the final whistle. Every great saints side I’ve seen had that about them. Need Leicester and Ipswich to keep their blip going whilst we stay unbeaten for a while longer. COYR! 

Decent 3 points but not going to get to carried away with it.  Given the amount of ball we have we really need to make these games easier for ourselves.  For all our possession we really need to score more goals, simple as.  On the plus side we played pretty well, a rare clean sheet and (eventually) got the job done.  Big game next week which we need to win to stay in touch. 

• Like 4

Did Adams touch the ball even once. Get in a tackle. For the goal with all the play on the near post stood unmoving outside the far post watching. This was a very solid performance against a difficult team. KWP,AA and Fraser did well to create the goal. Another clean sheet. 73% possession. Manning came on but looked inferior to Bree.

• Like 3

Phew! Deserved that. Such a lovely feeling to win games late rather than lose them. Was a high blood pressure watch until then...watching terrible streams with some Canadian friends on a boys trip in LA, who don't know football but were up early to watch the 'Southamptons vs the Mealworms' (I kid you not)....they'd just about given up on seeing what a goal was...

I'm not sure I converted any of them to Saints...

It has its critics but this is the benefit of possession football.  It is utterly draining being out of possession, endlessly having to watch runners etc.  You have to concentrate without fail and hopefully the “good it forward” gang will reflect.

As others have said we are looking very good defensively with a proper Centre Back partnership and midfield much more balanced than earlier this season.  Shout out for Charlie who had his best game for a while

• Like 3

On the way home. Great support and brilliant celebrations at the end. I thought our superiority told as the game went on. First half was too slow. Second half we must have spent 95% of it in their half. We definitely looked for more openings than the first 45, played a bit quicker, and should have scored earlier despite nothing too clear cut. At the moment I like how we don't panic even into injury time, we keep trying to find that space for one last chance. 

• Like 1

Great to win again in injury time.  But, and I am sorry to say this, yet again I am underwhelmed by our performance and, as in the other late-win games, I have no feeling of satisfaction in our win - because of the manner of it (tiring the opposition out so that they are out on their feet) before scoring after about four minutes of injury time.  More, a feeling of sheer relief in winning three points.  And I cannot understand how AA was not given offside; unless he was off the field of play when, I think, CA passed to him and came back onto the pitch after the pass to him was made and then slid the ball back to RF, whose first-time strike was exceptionally good.  Millwall won nearly all the physical battles and we played too much tippy-tippy passing without any real intent to draw them out of position, even fannying about in our own half after several minutes of extra time.  Still, you cannot knock the three points.  I note our goal difference is at least 10 worse than our main rivals’ so we need to win our future games by more than one goal to make inroads into that deficit.  The next game, against WBA will not be easy.  But here’s hoping for the best.

Incidentally, my first years of attending games were at the (old) Den, which was well to the north of the New Den, in the 1950s.  My dad and I used to walk to the ground from our house via the Rotherhithe tunnel.  It took what seemed to be an age to get there.  I seem to remember that the pies were good.  I was obviously too young to know what the beer was like; we used to take a flask of tea.  My first game was Millwall v Accrington Stanley.  The Lions have been my second team since I moved to Southampton in the late ‘50s.I am sorry to see them so near the relegation places but, hey, that is the price of our Saints’ promotion push.

Ever the optimist!  The Saints way.

• Like 6
  • Confused 6

30 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Great to win again in injury time.  But, and I am sorry to say this, yet again I am underwhelmed by our performance and, as in the other late-win games, I have no feeling of satisfaction in our win - because of the manner of it (tiring the opposition out so that they are out on their feet) before scoring after about four minutes of injury time.  More, a feeling of sheer relief in winning three points.  And I cannot understand how AA was not given offside; unless he was off the field of play when, I think, CA passed to him and came back onto the pitch after the pass to him was made and then slid the ball back to RF, whose first-time strike was exceptionally good.  Millwall won nearly all the physical battles and we played too much tippy-tippy passing without any real intent to draw them out of position, even fannying about in our own half after several minutes of extra time.  Still, you cannot knock the three points.  I note our goal difference is at least 10 worse than our main rivals’ so we need to win our future games by more than one goal to make inroads into that deficit.  The next game, against WBA will not be easy.  But here’s hoping for the best.

Incidentally, my first years of attending games were at the (old) Den, which was well to the north of the New Den, in the 1950s.  My dad and I used to walk to the ground from our house via the Rotherhithe tunnel.  It took what seemed to be an age to get there.  I seem to remember that the pies were good.  I was obviously too young to know what the beer was like; we used to take a flask of tea.  My first game was Millwall v Accrington Stanley.  The Lions have been my second team since I moved to Southampton in the late ‘50s.I am sorry to see them so near the relegation places but, hey, that is the price of our Saints’ promotion push.

No feeling of satisfaction after a stoppage time win? 🙄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Ever the optimist! I dread to think what you'd have written if you were a pessimist 🙂

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

The ball was played to him by a Millwall defender hence, not offside.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 8

23 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I'm liking that - tbf he's gutted but more than fair to us.

That mush over his shoulder looks like a direct descendant of Ray Winstone, he must be well pissed off he turned out a Millwall fan!

I'd be more pissed off that the bloke in front of me is spending the game holding his phone up recording his own face with me in the background.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Good win boys, please can you wrap things up earlier in matches as this is not healthy.

Someone said last week (Derry I think), that Saints couldn't keep relying on hail mary, last gasp results, and I agree.   Just the same, it does point up the strength of the squad and the fatigue element for oppositions forced to run and defend without the ball.     Leicester and Ipswich have also relied on narrow wins and last minute draws this season highlighting the role of good fortune in a tight, grinding league like this.

2 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

But, and I am sorry to say this, yet again I am underwhelmed by our performance and, as in the other late-win games, I have no feeling of satisfaction in our win - because of the manner of it (tiring the opposition out so that they are out on their feet) before scoring after about four minutes of injury time.  More, a feeling of sheer relief in winning three points.  

Seriously, no satisfaction? I can see that from a City fan but a Saints fan? Wow!