Saints 5-0 Swansea - Match Thread

southbourne saint

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Swansea - Boxing Day 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic

There may come a day when we lose a game of football, but it is not this day.

Hopefully.

Obviously no Shea, so probably same midfield 3 if Smallbone and Downes don’t have knocks. 
Guessing Manning for Bree if he’s out, otherwise I’d imagine unchanged.
Might see Charlie for this one with so many games and he’s completely fresh - can’t see anything else.

With Shea and probably Bree out of the match day squad there’s a couple of sub spaces available- guessing Dibbling and either SAA or Meghoma? 

IMO Swansea and Norwich pose more of a threat than Plymouth and Walsall.  So I’d keep our strongest available 11 for the former two and rest a few of our more delicate petals for the latter two.  And hope they keep off the slosh over Christmas and New Year.

Merry Christmas and a HNY to all our readers on this forum.

xxx

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

There may come a day when we lose a game of football, but it is not this day.

Hopefully.

Obviously no Shea, so probably same midfield 3 if Smallbone and Downes don’t have knocks. 
Guessing Manning for Bree if he’s out, otherwise I’d imagine unchanged.
Might see Charlie for this one with so many games and he’s completely fresh - can’t see anything else.

With Shea and probably Bree out of the match day squad there’s a couple of sub spaces available- guessing Dibbling and either SAA or Meghoma? 

Who is SAA ask me up in Scotland

Unfortunately my Dad passed away 4 hours after the last game, so I’ll be watching this on my own, although I like to think he’ll be there with me in spirit. 😔

Should be a win. Needs to be a win, as we can’t let space develop between us and Leeds now Ipswich are starting to falter. Think we’ll not find it easy with some key injuries. Could RM go three CB’s with Stephens available? Don’t want Che anywhere near the starting 11 and would rather see a youngster off the bench, but I guess that'll not happen unless we’re three up with 10 minutes left. Hope Bree and Downes are fit.

2-1 Saints.

• Like 56
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Unfortunately my Dad passed away 4 hours after the last game, so I’ll be watching this on my own, although I like to think he’ll be there with me in spirit. 😔

Should be a win. Needs to be a win, as we can’t let space develop between us and Leeds now Ipswich are starting to falter. Think we’ll not find it easy with some key injuries. Could RM go three CB’s with Stephens available? Don’t want Che anywhere near the starting 11 and would rather see a youngster off the bench, but I guess that'll not happen unless we’re three up with 10 minutes left. Hope Bree and Downes are fit.

2-1 Saints.

Sorry for your loss.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

My sympathies on your loss, but - trust me - he'll be there; not just tomorrow but for every game from here on. I lost my Dad on Christmas Eve 1977, and the last thing he said to me was "How did Saints get on?" But he'd lost track and thought it was Boxing Day, so I told him that they won, and he smiled. Two days later Saints beat Cardiff, so thankfully the last thing I said to Dad wasn't a lie.

We've watched every game together since the day he lifted me over a turnstile at the Dell when I was six, and that will last as long as I do.

Merry Christmas to all.

• Like 37

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

2-1 Saints.

Sorry for your loss -condolences to you and the family 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

2-1 Saints.

Best wishes to you and your family. 🙏

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

2-1 Saints.

Really sorry for your loss.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

2-1 Saints.

My condolences. No doubts he will be with you, watching another Saints win.

• Like 1

2-1 Saints.

So sorry for your loss

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

2-1 Saints.

Dads are special and I am sure he will be with you in spirit.Condolences for your loss but take comfort from many happy memories you will have.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

2-1 Saints.

I am so sorry for your loss, my thought are with you and your family

• Like 2

This is a game we should win ...for Russell Martin.  His reputation was on the line when Swansea did their " un-level " best 

to disrupt the move at every turn.   He stood out for a move to (our) relegated club who had sold their best players

and had to cobble together a team for the first unsteady 8 games before finding a successful formula.  

He seems to have "won over " the dressing room , and the fans, despite those complainers (like me) who want more goals in every game.

We have now gone 15 games unbeaten and hold a strong position in the play-off places and hopefully even a chance to catch the top two.  

Managers jobs are precarious at the best of times, so the players (and the club) need to show him that he made the right decision. 

A decisive win, by a convincing margin, would be a good way to show our appreciation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

2-1 Saints.

So sorry mate. My old man passed in hospital during covid after the 9-0 loss to United. It's always really bugged me that was his last memory of Saints, so cherish the fact that we've been flying for the last couple months of his life. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, coalman said:

Manager plays former team always ends the same way. No more unbeaten run.

From what I can work out, the last time we played a league match against our incumbent manager's former team was in April 2010 when Alan Pardew faced off against Charlton at SMS.

We won that game 1-0, with Antonio scoring the winner. 

21 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

2-1 Saints.

Sorry for your loss mate. I sincerely wish you and the family all the best.

My grandad was a season ticket holder for over 50 years. He died a couple of years ago and it’s still hard going to St Mary’s.…I often look over at his old seat in the Kingsland and expect to see him dishing out the jelly babies to his old mates.

It gets easier with time and also knowing that they are always there with you.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

2-1 Saints.

My Sympathy to you and your family

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

From what I can work out, the last time we played a league match against our incumbent manager's former team was in April 2010 when Alan Pardew faced off against Charlton at SMS.

We won that game 1-0, with Antonio scoring the winner. 

Thus rejinxing my childish attempt to unjinx us.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2023 at 00:33, Saint Fan CaM said:

2-1 Saints.

Sorry to hear that mate. 

He'll be watching today's game with Bobby Stokes; best seats in the house. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 5-0 Swansea - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic