Kyle Walker-Peters

Saint-Armstrong

8 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

KWP is my favourite player.
Thought he was very good in the Prem but absolutely top class in our current position.
All that said, if I was running the club I would contemplate letting him leave... a) if a very good offer came in... b) if he wanted to go...and c) if the transfer fee was invested in a good left back and a better striker than we have at the moment.

My favourite too. His ability and attitude is first class.

I say this because KWP's value will decrease as he nears a contract renewal and if we dont go up this season, the club will have to further reduce wages as the parachute payments fall away and KWP (and his agent) know he can earn a lot more in the Prem, especially as he has not been one of our top earners anyway.

Yes, the main reason why promotion this season is vital.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Kyle Walker-Peters
49 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

He can play anywhere at this level tbh.  I'd even happily let him play as a centre forward if it means he stays past Jan!

We would be mad to sell any players in January. I’ve seen press reports that we would see £40mi as a good deal but why would we let anyone go when we are in touching distance of automatics? 

1 hour ago, Fraser Spinney said:

Walker-Peters impressed further forward yesterday but will we see more of him at right wing in the future or was it a way to shoehorn Stephens into the side?

https://www.southamptonfc.news/match-coverage/southampton-star-flourishes-in-new-role-with-three-key-passes-in-hammering-of-swansea-city/

He's better running towards the opposition's goal from deep IMO. He should stay at RB.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

KWP is one of the cleverest and most versatile wing backs in the country right now whatever the level he is currently playing at. Surely, surely, surely even the blinkered and bigoted Southgate has to get the guy in an England shirt again very soon.

Only if Man City, Liverpool or Arsenal sign him.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

KWP is one of the cleverest and most versatile wing backs in the country right now whatever the level he is currently playing at. Surely, surely, surely even the blinkered and bigoted Southgate has to get the guy in an England shirt again very soon.

Now that the rest of the team seem to know what they are doing and are meant to be doing in most given situations it has meant that we have the luxury of letting our class act do his stuff more often. 
KWP has been given licence to hurt the opposition because we are more solid and competent defensively as a team now. When we were weaker KWP had to play a more restrictive defensive role.

Now stronger he’s got licence to kill.

Reminds me of the licence Saints gave MLT which only came off the back of the rest of the team working their butts off around him and knowing what to do ( apart from just give it to MLT 😁) out of possession. 

19 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

IMG_1466.png

Ffs, please don’t let this be true. Surely the management aren’t that short sighted, he is integral to this sides success, I can’t imagine he is a ‘Lallana’ type to force a move, what are they going to get for him, could be very costly if we don’t make an instant return to the Premiership.

12 minutes ago, Saint Marky said:

Ffs, please don’t let this be true. Surely the management aren’t that short sighted, he is integral to this sides success, I can’t imagine he is a ‘Lallana’ type to force a move, what are they going to get for him, could be very costly if we don’t make an instant return to the Premiership.

Saved PL wages, which he is still getting paid.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Saved PL wages, which he is still getting paid.

I can't imagine that's going to be an issue for the next six months. If we don't go up we can probably sell him for a similar amount in the summer. I'd be very surprised if we sell him late in the window but stranger things have happened. 

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I can't imagine that's going to be an issue for the next six months. If we don't go up we can probably sell him for a similar amount in the summer. I'd be very surprised if we sell him late in the window but stranger things have happened. 

I hope not, it’s just something I heard a few weeks back.

FWIW that Frazer Fletcher used to write on Football Insider and pretty much nothing he said was ever accurate.

One thing for sure, losing KWP would be a monumental blow and he would need replacing. 

He is certainly one of the best players in this league.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd genuinely be surprised if we looked to sell in January. Surely we'd factored in the cost of his wages once he wasn't sold in the summer. 

Pretty sure he is also on his initial deal from when he signed and back then he wouldnt have been on crazy PL money and likely far less than what Alex McCarthy gets now.

Seeing as he provides good value for it, I can't see that is an issue, certainly not this season.

48 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd genuinely be surprised if we looked to sell in January. Surely we'd factored in the cost of his wages once he wasn't sold in the summer. 

I wouldn’t be. There are a few players we’d accept a decent offer for, he is one of them. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I wouldn’t be. There are a few players we’d accept a decent offer for, he is one of them. 

Would suck and I'd be gutted if we lost him before the summer. Whatever replacement we got in we'd be significantly weaker after janusry than before. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Rumour is 30 

I expect we’ll tell them 30 and that’ll put them off straight away, that’s a lot for a backup full back from the Championship. 

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

You're probably right yet with the (automatic) promotion carrot dangling in plain sight, KWP's departure would disrupt so much of the attacking, creative threat.   I couldn't see his loss being covered well enough.  Are SR happy to take the money and risk blowing the strong chance of promotion?       Let him go to Chelsea in the Summer!     They can wait; they're not going to contend for anything in what remains of the season.

• Like 1

IF a big money offer comes in for any of our players they are going to look at it. If we were offered £30m for KWP I think SR accepts myself. £20m or below I think they pass. Inbetween maybe a swop is included. 

6 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

IF a big money offer comes in for any of our players they are going to look at it. If we were offered £30m for KWP I think SR accepts myself. £20m or below I think they pass. Inbetween maybe a swop is included. 

Well I'd take Broja in a swap --- if they paid some of his wages! 

KWP is outstanding IMO We shouldn't take anything less than 30. Ask for 40

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

Well I'd take Broja in a swap --- if they paid some of his wages! 

KWP is outstanding IMO We shouldn't take anything less than 30. Ask for 40

Thing is, a team that has already got Reece James at RB hardly needs KWP. And he’s surely not a loan while Reece repairs? 

5 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Rumour is 30 

That sounds about right. I wonder if that is what we were requesting in the summer? There was little noise about a KWP move, but if every call about him was met with "we won't accept anything less than £45m" then those conversations may have been short.

Although he didn't play well last season, overall he has been tremendous for us and the fact we got a season (hopefully a full one) out of him in the championship is great. He's too good for the championship though, so we really need to get promoted, otherwise he may push a little harder for a move next summer.

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Why do you say that - is it because his wages are still high in the championship or because he only has 18 months left, so now is the time to maximise return? 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

That sounds about right. I wonder if that is what we were requesting in the summer? There was little noise about a KWP move, but if every call about him was met with "we won't accept anything less than £45m" then those conversations may have been short.

Apparently Spurs have got a £30M buyback clause.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11016531/Tottenham-30m-buyback-clause-Southampton-Kyle-Walker-Peters.html

I love KWP but I can’t see any PL club offering more than £15m -£20M for him, which would surely be a price that would be rejected in the Jan window. Come the summer he’s only got a year left on his contract so a bit of a different story then.

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

who does Prutton suggest is? 

Ng from Cardiff....crazy.

KWP is so important to how we play, we'd be nuts to sell him full stop regardless of the fee.  As already pointed out, he'll get a decent move in the summer if we don't go up and for similar money that we'd get now. 

33 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Ng from Cardiff....crazy.

KWP is so important to how we play, we'd be nuts to sell him full stop regardless of the fee.  As already pointed out, he'll get a decent move in the summer if we don't go up and for similar money that we'd get now. 

He looked absolutely appalling when he came to St Marys! Got roasted.

• Like 1

One of very few players that I genuinely will wish well if he goes, even if he goes to fucking Chelsea. 

Been outstanding for us this season, top attitude, top player. I really hope he stays but he is very obviously much too good for this league, so if someone wants to splash the cash then there’s not much we can do. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Appy said:

I expect we’ll tell them 30 and that’ll put them off straight away, that’s a lot for a backup full back from the Championship. 

He would go as back up but would play more games than their first choice RB, the perpetually-injured Reece James. He can ably play left-back too, and Chelsea have been persistently playing a CB in Colwill there (because their other first choice fullback (Chilwell) is also perpetually injured...).

I'd absolutely hate it if he went there, but I can understand Chelsea's interest and why KWP could want to go.

I think we'll keep him this window but I could see this move happening in the summer, whether or not we go back up.

Edited by igsey

4 minutes ago, igsey said:

He would go as back up but would play more games than their first choice RB, the perpetually-injured Reece James. He can ably play left-back too, and Chelsea have been persistently playing a CB in Colwill there (because their other first choice fullback (Chilwell) is also perpetually injured...).

I'd absolutely hate it if he went there, but I can understand Chelsea's interest and why KWP could want to go.

I think we'll keep him this window but I could see this move happening in the summer, whether or not we go back up.

Been playing Malo Gusto in some games too who looks really poor there.KWP would suit them going forward but defensively……

Edited by Give it to Ron

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Probably, they're looking to sell Gallagher for 40 so that would fund it.

I wondered if that sale might be needed just to balance the books, so they might not have £30m to spend on a second choice right back.

https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/transfer-news/tag/newsnow-features-only/chelsea-transfer-news-kyle-walker-peters-southampton

Intetesting article, looks like they need him as a back-up? That alone tells me they dont rate him highly enough, he would be thier best, most versitile fb as far as i am concerned.

KWP was upset with Poch after being ignored after wininning motm, hope he still feels poch is not for him.

Keep an eye on some of their youth talent, looks like they will buy for sucess again instead of having faith in the youth, AKA Tino.....

• 2 months later...