Kyle Walker-Peters

Saint-Armstrong

7 minutes ago, kitch said:

Stalling on a new deal, according to TalkShite just now. Can't same I blame him, tbh. He could aim higher.

Not worth worrying about. Any contract he signs now will not stop him going to a big club if they want him so it hardly matters. When we go down he's gone even if he signs a 25 year contract tomorrow.

• Like 3

Call me crazy, as I know he's pretty highly rated here, but I wouldn't be that bothered if we lost him. Good player, but no end product and holds the ball too long like too many on our books - can't even remember the last time he put a cross in honestly, let alone getting an assist. Plenty out there who may be a bit less flashy, but are just as, if not more productive than KWP.

Edited by Nemi

4 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Call me crazy but I wouldn't be that bothered if we lost him. Good player, but no end product and holds the ball too long like too many on our books - can't even remember the last time he put a cross in honestly, let alone getting an assist. 

Hi Crazy. 

• Haha 3

I won’t be bothered but mainly because he’s done his service and we should be holding him up as a example of what we can offer as a club and what we want from players who come here. Regular football, time and opportunity to develop and when the time is right for everyone you can go on to inevitable better things. Good luck to the lad, whenever he goes, he’s been fantastic and professional. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Call me crazy, as I know he's pretty highly rated here, but I wouldn't be that bothered if we lost him. Good player, but no end product and holds the ball too long like too many on our books - can't even remember the last time he put a cross in honestly, let alone getting an assist. Plenty out there who may be a bit less flashy, but are just as, if not more productive than KWP.

I'm with you. Good player compared to others we've got, but not great and was rightly overlooked in favour of Tino. If Spurs wanted a deal involving Doherty and cash our way I'd talk to them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

Hi Crazy. 

Just looked. In 76 appearances for Saints he has 2 goals and 4 assists. His last assists two being a tackle on Connor Gallagher and a square pass to Elyounoussi. 

Like I said, I'm not calling him bad but that's hardly the record of someone irreplaceable, no?

• Like 1

Just now, Nemi said:

Just looked. In 76 appearances for Saints he has 2 goals and 4 assists. His last assists two being a tackle on Connor Gallagher and a square pass to Elyounoussi. 

Like I said, I'm not calling him bad but that's hardly the record of someone irreplaceable, no?

Was just having a laugh to be fair bud, not great stats but can also blame the assist record on our absolutely shambolic strike force 😂 if we had someone who wasn't a complete liability up top he'd probably have more. 

I find he's one of the only players in the current team who will run at the other team and beat a man. Holds on to the ball incredibly well whilst doing so in tight spaces. If Tinos fit and we can get a good fee + replacement then I wouldnt be against it I guess. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nemi said:

You're crazy. 

People who judge players on lack of assists really have no idea. You can't get an assist unless someone scores, we don't score goals (from open play), hence no assists. KWP is arguably our best player, losing him would be a serious problem, but to be honest who can really blame him if he wants to go.

• Like 4

KWP and JWP are our best 2 players. Lavia shows importance but needs to stay fit to enter that category. Losing him in Jan with Tino not being ready is just not possible.

I’d be sad to see him leave but agree it’s probably time from his perspective to move up the chain. I love how good he can dribble and take pressure off of us. When in from you just can’t get the ball off him. Great control in tight spaces and can play both sides. He’s unlucky we have so much strength at RB in the England squad.

Assists and goal stats are interesting but also having such poor finishers will have influenced that. Perhaps not the best defensively but I love him as a player. He’s been a quality purchase who’s struggled a bit with niggling injuries when playing 3 times a week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

You're crazy. 

People who judge players on lack of assists really have no idea. You can't get an assist unless someone scores, we don't score goals (from open play), hence no assists. KWP is arguably our best player, losing him would be a serious problem, but to be honest who can really blame him if he wants to go.

It depends on how we set up, based on what we seem to be signing it looks like we might be moving towards more of a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 in which the full backs probably aren’t as required to bomb forward, so pure defending probably more important, so there probably would be better available for that role 

overall he has been great for us but if a super solid defender was available and we got a great price it would be good for a couple of reasons, 1 it would improve is defensively and 2 it would keep the impression for other young ambitious players that we can be good for them

Edited by MAY-Z
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

You're crazy. 

Best player is an overstatement. He's a slight full back who lacks height so is poor in the air. Tino got in the team ahead of him because he offered more as an 18 year old. We can do better, and playing 4 at the back will be much more realistic if we have some height in the full back areas. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

You're crazy. 

It's not necessarily his lack of assists, he just doesn't get the ball in the box enough for me - I'm all for a wing-back getting forwards and being good at dribbling but he needs to show some willingness to get the ball into dangerous positions at the end of it all.  You also can't assist if you not getting the ball into the right areas.

Again I'm not calling him bad, he's good, but he's not irreplaceable and he needs to improve in this area if he's going to be competing for England caps as people claim he should be.

Edited by Nemi
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nemi said:

I know he's an attacking full back but why are you judging a defender on goals and assists? Especially as his lack of assists is more to do with how we play (few crosses) and lack of decent strikers to take advantage. KWP is by far our best player imo, good defensively, excellent with the ball in tight spaces and very good at dribbling it forward. Which is where it usually breaks down due to our crapness in attack.

Tino did very well when he first came in but faded fast before his injury and is not as good defensively as KWP. 

I'm sure he'll be off in the summer and it's hard to begrudge him a move given what a shit show we've become. We'll miss him when he's gone.

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m pretty sure he still has a couple of years left after this season.

I wouldn’t blame him for wanting to leave when the club has regressed so much during his time here. 

Yep. Has a contract until 2025, so two years to go. The summer is the ideal time to sign him up to a new deal if we stay up, or sell if we don't, assuming he will want to stay in the Prem, or indeed if he doesn't want to sign a new deal, to maximise these return and give us more money to spend on a replacement.

For now, I'm enjoying having him here. He's an excellent fullback. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nemi said:

What’s his defensive stats like?

I have probably watched only half to two thirds of his appearances this season, but on those showings certainly seems to be playing well within himself. Nowhere near as attacking / positive as we’ve seen in the past - put it down to him not wanting to get injured again/ not being fully fit, or a lack of confidence? Would be a shame if he left as still one of our best players but hasn’t had a really great game for a while 

2 hours ago, egg said:

Best player is an overstatement. He's a slight full back who lacks height so is poor in the air. Tino got in the team ahead of him because he offered more as an 18 year old. We can do better, and playing 4 at the back will be much more realistic if we have some height in the full back areas. 

I have no proof of this of course but i believe that Tino got in ahead of KWP because that was part of the discussion to get Tino to come to the club. No way you buy an 18 yr old (admittedly very good) and replace what is probbaly your best player full time from the start of the season unless there is a reason to or a big difference in class. All opinion but felt very much like proof of why youth should come to us

13 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

He's had a fall out with NJ. The week NJ joined KWP was heard walking off the training ground saying "WTF is this guy all about?". 

The week NJ joined he gave the players a week off so he could work on tactics, he didn’t start training with the players until at least 10 days after taking the job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

He's had a fall out with NJ. The week NJ joined KWP was heard walking off the training ground saying "WTF is this guy all about?". 

Could've sworn someone said that about AMN about a week ago.

Having said that, sounds like several of them are letting their body language on the pitch do the talking.

2 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I know he's an attacking full back but why are you judging a defender on goals and assists? Especially as his lack of assists is more to do with how we play (few crosses) and lack of decent strikers to take advantage. KWP is by far our best player imo, good defensively, excellent with the ball in tight spaces and very good at dribbling it forward. Which is where it usually breaks down due to our crapness in attack.

Tino did very well when he first came in but faded fast before his injury and is not as good defensively as KWP. 

I'm sure he'll be off in the summer and it's hard to begrudge him a move given what a shit show we've become. We'll miss him when he's gone.

Yep he is great at dribbling, he's a very decent player, but he's not unreplaceable. Our crapness in attack is a two-way street of poor strikers and poor service. Ultimately, I think KWP could improve his final ball and release it quicker and more decisively: we have plenty in the squad now who can dribble but have nothing to show for it. 

If he's unhappy and wants to leave, then let him go and bring in someone who may not be as good at dribbling but is a better passer because our team desperately lacks it. 

1 hour ago, Saint Troy said:

I have no proof of this of course but i believe that Tino got in ahead of KWP because that was part of the discussion to get Tino to come to the club. No way you buy an 18 yr old (admittedly very good) and replace what is probbaly your best player full time from the start of the season unless there is a reason to or a big difference in class. All opinion but felt very much like proof of why youth should come to us

We'll agree to differ. For me, having 2 shortish full backs in a back 4 doesn't work. As good as KWP is, he is a defender first and foremost, and his lack of size must be a factor in the way manager has played a back 3. If he wants out, grant him his wish, and bring someone in who can defend the near post without needing an extra CB to do the job for him. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

We'll agree to differ. For me, having 2 shortish full backs in a back 4 doesn't work. As good as KWP is, he is a defender first and foremost, and his lack of size must be a factor in the way manager has played a back 3. If he wants out, grant him his wish, and bring someone in who can defend the near post without needing an extra CB to do the job for him. 

May just be me, but I am chuckling at these complete Souness-isms 😅. He wastes no time saying basically exactly this any time he's allow to do punditry on small wing/full backs!

20 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

May just be me, but I am chuckling at these complete Souness-isms 😅. He wastes no time saying basically exactly this any time he's allow to do punditry on small wing/full backs!

He's right. 5ft 8 full backs ain't much help at corners, or otherwise defending in the air. I was one, and we were almost a man short (no pun intended) every time we defended a corner! 

People get excited that KWP can run at players and put a (shit) cross in, but a defender has to be able to defend. If I was the manager, I'd play a back 3 if KWP and Perraud were my full/wing backs. 

2 hours ago, egg said:

Yeah, in amongst the hyperbolic noise around NJ and his insistence on 3 at the back I think most have missed that he has said precisely this.  We are otherwise a very short team (not just full backs) and playing three CBs gives us more presence for set pieces in both boxes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, egg said:

He's right. 5ft 8 full backs ain't much help at corners, or otherwise defending in the air. I was one, and we were almost a man short (no pun intended) every time we defended a corner! 

People get excited that KWP can run at players and put a (shit) cross in, but a defender has to be able to defend. If I was the manager, I'd play a back 3 if KWP and Perraud were my full/wing backs. 

I like KWP, I personally think he’s one of our better players and one who is most ‘saleable’. I don’t particularly agree with his height being an issue, but it is important to remember that he was a winger converted to a full back, rather than being an out and out defender. 

If we’re going to persist with a shitty back 3/5, I’d rather we got a RB who can play RCB (Walker, as an example of someone like that, but obviously not a realistic signing). 

I think as a wing back, Tino would be better, however I’d rather us play an actual winger to give us more attacking presence. 

Rather a 343 than 523, if that makes sense. 

I think KWP would do very well in the United side and has been a good servant. Wouldn’t begrudge him a move. 

2 hours ago, austsaint said:

By far and away our best player.  A good lad too, who plays with a smile on his face.   Will obviously leave if we go down.  Hope he stays if survival is reached.

Proved this evening what an asset he is, he’s such a good defender and his ability on the ball is probably the best in the squad, he stutters and shifts his weight and the ball so brilliantly to keep possession 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

was very good defensively tonight but slows so many of our attacks down when he gets the ball in a good position

I think that's a bit harsh, he was one of our best attacking outlets down that right side. He checks back due to a lack of movement/options at times in that final third, so I think if we flood that area with a bit more quality then he'll have more choice. He was on the front foot though, given a licence because of our extra men in midfield and it allowed us to play a bit higher up.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Proved this evening what an asset he is, he’s such a good defender and his ability on the ball is probably the best in the squad, he stutters and shifts his weight and the ball so brilliantly to keep possession 

Could not agree more.

Love your username by the way. I used to think I was FFs biggest fan.😏 I spent hours on the saints forum arguing his case.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Could not agree more.

Love your username by the way. I used to think I was FFs biggest fan.😏 I spent hours on the saints forum arguing his case.

He used to cut in from the right wing to open up that trusty left foot - didn't he?

12 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

slows so many of our attacks down when he gets the ball in a good position

Would struggle to disagree more. He is superb at holding the ball up rather than losing it, he'll look for quick 1-2s, and run off the shoulder of players, and his dribbling skills make him a great threat when he gets into the box in tight spaces. He also makes great runs carrying the ball to move us up the pitch and to make space for others, which allows players like jwp to drift in behind or overlap to support attacks and put crosses in etc. He's the best attacking full back / wing back I can recall at saints. And he ain't bad defensively either. 

I'll be stunned if we get a better player than him as a replacement, and it we'll lose the balance he brings us (good defence / attack) down that side. When he finally goes it will be a loss, but for the sake of his career (and England chances - and he should already be in that mix when fit) he probably should be looking to move up to the right big club now - unless saints can really pick up and return to our top 8 finishes... Doubtful right now let's be honest. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Kyle Walker-Peters