Kyle Walker-Peters

Saint-Armstrong

On 12/08/2020 at 18:25, Saint Keef said:

Yeh, you're right, I'd particularly forgotten Wan-Bissaka. If there was a World Cup just for Right Backs, we'd probably win that! If KWP can get on a par with him and Trent Alexander, then we'll be laughing. Something for him to aim for though!

My steadfast unpopular opinion is that Alexander Arnold isn't anywhere as good as people make out.

He holds the top 3 records for giving the ball away which is pretty bizarre.

https://punditarena.com/football/daniel-hussey/trent-alexander-arnold-leicester-possession/

40 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is how we played when Walker-Peters went off yesterday. The commentators didn't realise it.

Exactly.

I will lose my shit with Moussa playing there though, it would absolute carnage. I'd put JWP there if anyone. He can play the RWB role.

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

He's clearly the best player of all time judging by the contrast in performances.

A huge cog in how we play. Take the attacking  right back out and our right side goes.

Then we're left with the left side, which is pretty shit most of the time (Bertrands legs have gone)

Dear noble ladies and gentlemen of the Saintsweb forum,

May I be so bold to ascertain that the main factor behind our Jeckyll and Hyde performances this season is Kyle Walker-Peters?

Exhibit A m'lud...

Games played = 19
Points = 29
Points per game = 1.53

Games not played = 6
Points = 1
Points per game = 0.17

Our shape definitely goes to pot when he doesn't play...

In the words of Huey Lewis, is it as simple as that?

Edited by trousers

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

May I be so bold to ascertain that the main factor behind our Jeckyll and Hyde performances this season is Kyle Walker-Peters?

Exhibit A m'lud...

Games played = 19
Points = 29
Points per game = 1.53

Games not played = 6
Points = 1
Points per game = 0.17

It's as simple as not having cover for him and those stats bare that out in black and white. Criminal really.

We have to either rip apart our midfield, change our entire team shape, or move centre back partnerships around to fill his gap.

He's important for us, one of our 'must not lose' types due to his importance to our style...but that's not to say another fully capable wing back style player couldn't do a job there. We just don't have that option.

Christ, even Martina would do a job for us there.

Edited by S-Clarke

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Exhibit A m'lud...

Games played = 19
Points = 29
Points per game = 1.53

Games not played = 6
Points = 1
Points per game = 0.17

Maybe so, and we are never going to replace him being absent.

But - wtf are we doing putting Bedders there, and not playing Ramsey.  It is nuts, positionally, and attacking outlet and stuff.  We got lucky v Chelsea and found out tonight IMO, Ralph does need to come up with some answers, and real quick.

The City game, I am absolutely dreading. I never thought anyone could beat our 9-0’s record, but in that game, I think we may just do it 🙄

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Maybe so, and we are never going to replace him being absent.

But - wtf are we doing putting Bedders there, and not playing Ramsey.  It is nuts, positionally, and attacking outlet and stuff.  We got lucky v Chelsea and found out tonight IMO, Ralph does need to come up with some answers, and real quick.

The City game, I am absolutely dreading. I never thought anyone could beat our 9-0’s record, but in that game, I think we may just do it 🙄

I think it's for experience. Ramsay has looked like a fish out of water whenever I've seen him. Doesn't look like he's anywhere near this level quality wise.

I wouldn't even say he's a wing back either, that's stretching it. He can play right sided centre back or defensive right back at a push. So he's equally a pretty dreadful option.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it's for experience. Ramsay has looked like a fish out of water whenever I've seen him. Doesn't look like he's anywhere near this level quality wise.

I wouldn't even say he's a wing back either, that's stretching it. He can play right sided centre back or defensive right back at a push. So he's equally a pretty dreadful option.

I thought he was RB. I thought he got better in the 2nd half v Utd, or maybe Kack at RB next game. Bedders just isn’t right there at all, no slight on him, he is a good CB.

• 6 months later...
42 minutes ago, TWar said:

Makes sense, he is quality. So glad to have three fantastic fullbacks in contention. In previous seasons we barely had one.

KWP and Livramento are top qualify, who is the third? 

Just now, JRM said:

KWP and Livramento are top qualify, who is the third? 

I really rate Perraud off the basis of what we have seen so far. Maybe fantastic is generous for him but he already looks a tonne better than Bertrand to me.

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Purely speculative, but it was interesting that Saints apparently made a very late bid to land Djed Spence the right back from Middleborough. If Saints had received a big enough offer from Everton and with Tino proving to be an adequate replacement, could Saints have considered taking the money and getting Spence in as cover for Tino ? 

I know, I know. It sounds ridiculous. KWP is one of our best players even if he cannot currently get in the team in his favoured position. When I heard that we'd been linked with Middlesborough's right back I dismissed it as paper talk, because we have 2 very good right backs, but when I saw the KWP link I did wonder whether maybe, just maybe there was something in this after all. 

If Everton had offered £20m for KWP perhaps that would have funded Spence and a strong centre midfielder. 

Purely speculative, but not impossible ..... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

If Everton had offered £20m for KWP perhaps that would have funded Spence and a strong centre midfielder.

I'd put KWP's value in excess of £20m, think he's only going to get better, and can only hope a seed hasn't been sown for January/next summer. But I would think and accept that he will move on to bigger things eventually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

I'd put KWP's value in excess of £20m, think he's only going to get better, and can only hope a seed hasn't been sown for January/next summer. But I would think and accept that he will move on to bigger things eventually.

Wan-Bissaka went to United from Palace for £45 million two years ago. KWP is a better player so we have to be looking at £50 million.

• Haha 1

Spuds forum still rave about kwp and would take him back in heartbeat…they still think he’s been their best RB in a few seasons .. they will be back in for him in January I reckon..but hope we keep him ..would love to see Tino play in front of him up that right side..would be a formidable partnership…come on Ralph let the dog see the rabbit !!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Spuds forum still rave about kwp and would take him back in heartbeat…they still think he’s been their best RB in a few seasons .. they will be back in for him in January I reckon..but hope we keep him ..would love to see Tino play in front of him up that right side..would be a formidable partnership…come on Ralph let the dog see the rabbit !!

That surprises me. When he was on his way out I thought the consensus, and often repeated on here, was that they didn't rate him, and thought he was too small etc.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Badger said:

That surprises me. When he was on his way out I thought the consensus, and often repeated on here, was that they didn't rate him, and thought he was too small etc.

Think the 'they' in this case should be replaced with Jose M, who of course has a really strong track record for judging talent! He had similar doubts over Luke Shaw. We should have a poll over the greatest talent let go from a club when he was manager! Or maybe Saints scouts should start reviewing lists of players who left the clubs he managed and are currently available.

Edited by HnycS

On 01/09/2021 at 17:34, TWar said:

I really rate Perraud off the basis of what we have seen so far. Maybe fantastic is generous for him but he already looks a tonne better than Bertrand to me.

Over generous comparison in my view.  A poor mans Cedric is nearer the mark at the moment. 
Yes I know opposite sides…

Perraud has quite a way to go yet before he is a nailed on first teamer.

• Confused 4

On 01/09/2021 at 20:01, WALK DMC said:

Purely speculative, but it was interesting that Saints apparently made a very late bid to land Djed Spence the right back from Middleborough. If Saints had received a big enough offer from Everton and with Tino proving to be an adequate replacement, could Saints have considered taking the money and getting Spence in as cover for Tino ? 

I know, I know. It sounds ridiculous. KWP is one of our best players even if he cannot currently get in the team in his favoured position. When I heard that we'd been linked with Middlesborough's right back I dismissed it as paper talk, because we have 2 very good right backs, but when I saw the KWP link I did wonder whether maybe, just maybe there was something in this after all. 

Purely speculative, but not impossible ..... 

makes sense.  Everton ask if a £Xm offer would be considered and we tell them it would need to be doubled or trebled. They go away to consider, and in the  mean time we ensure that, should they meet our valuation, we have a viable replacement lined up. Every player has a price. Just good business practice to be prepared to take advantage of a potential `generous' offer.

On 01/09/2021 at 17:34, TWar said:

I'm probably just misinterpreting and you are just referring to the Bertrand of last season. But if comparing to Bertand through most of his time here, Perraud is looking quite a way off that. For me he's looked okay given he's in a new country, new team and he's pretty young. Though I would be expecting his level to go up from here though to be considered a fantastic signing, but happy to give him time to do so. 

35 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

I'm probably just misinterpreting and you are just referring to the Bertrand of last season. But if comparing to Bertand through most of his time here, Perraud is looking quite a way off that. For me he's looked okay given he's in a new country, new team and he's pretty young. Though I would be expecting his level to go up from here though to be considered a fantastic signing, but happy to give him time to do so. 

Yeah Bertrand 15/16 was the best LB in the league and was an absolute world beater. Perraud is nowhere near that level yet but neither was Bertrand when he left us. Last season Bertrand (ahead of McCarthy and maybe alongside Bednarek) was amongst the weakest links in our ideal starting 11 imo. Perraud is a big step up from that is all I mean.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

Hoping we can hang on to kwp to be honest! Him and Armstrong were our best players last year and both of them have been linked with a move..and rightly so both of them class acts ! 
It’s time tho for Saints to hang on to our better players ..at least for another season .. by then we may have new investors!
alright it’s Friday 🍺🍺got on it early ! 🤪

Edited by Chris cooper

6 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Hoping we can hang on to kwp to be honest! Him and Armstrong were our best players last year and both of them have been linked with a move..and rightly so both of them class acts ! 
It’s time tho for Saints to hang on to our better players ..at least for another season .. by then we may have new investors!
alright it’s Friday 🍺🍺got on it early ! 🤪

It's going to be very hard to convince him to stay if we are sticking with Livramento as first choice.

15 hours ago, TWar said:

Yeah Bertrand 15/16 was the best LB in the league and was an absolute world beater. Perraud is nowhere near that level yet but neither was Bertrand when he left us. Last season Bertrand (ahead of McCarthy and maybe alongside Bednarek) was amongst the weakest links in our ideal starting 11 imo. Perraud is a big step up from that is all I mean.

Agree that Bertrand had declined and it was probably time to let him go, but I can't say I've seen enough from Perraud to convince me he's going to be good enough, fingers crossed he can develop, the fact he was dropped for KWP at Newcastle might indicate he's not going to be first choice just yet. 

43 minutes ago, JRM said:

Agree that Bertrand had declined and it was probably time to let him go, but I can't say I've seen enough from Perraud to convince me he's going to be good enough, fingers crossed he can develop, the fact he was dropped for KWP at Newcastle might indicate he's not going to be first choice just yet. 

Ditto. Although Bertrand was done here, I'm far from convinced about Perraud. He struggled in his first 2 games, and was rightly dropped for KWP.

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

It's going to be very hard to convince him to stay if we are sticking with Livramento as first choice.

Yeah I agree but if tino has an outstanding season he could be gone next year himself and if we get rid of kwp in January we will be back to square one.. would be so Saints to do that.

45 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Yeah I agree but if tino has an outstanding season he could be gone next year himself and if we get rid of kwp in January we will be back to square one.. would be so Saints to do that.

I'm repeating myself but there just has to be room for both KWP and Livramento...and preferably with KWP at right back and TL ahead of him.  Perraud slots into LB.

Just now, austsaint said:

I'm repeating myself but there just has to be room for both KWP and Livramento...and preferably with KWP at right back and TL ahead of him.  Perraud slots into LB.

I get that, but for me, Stuart Armstrong on the right is our best option there which means Livramento RB, and KWP at LB. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, egg said:

I get that, but for me, Stuart Armstrong on the right is our best option there which means Livramento RB, and KWP at LB. 

Behave, haven’t you had enough of square pegs into round holes. Perraud was bought as a RB, and as a direct replacement for Bertrand. He has been ok so far, and needs to integrate, cut him some slack.

Just now, Gingeletiss said:

Behave, haven’t you had enough of square pegs into round holes. Perraud was bought as a RB, and as a direct replacement for Bertrand. He has been ok so far, and needs to integrate, cut him some slack.

Behave. Livramento was bought as a RB, talking of playing him elsewhere after 3 games, and playing him on the right ahead of S Armstrong, is ridiculous. 

Perraud has looked like a fish up a tree, and quite rightly was dropped. 

If the choice is:

1.  Livramento RB, KWP LB, S Armstrong RM, and Perraud bench or

2. KWP RB, Perraud LB, Livramento RM and S Armstrong bench 

Then it's option 1 all day long for me

1 minute ago, egg said:

Behave. Livramento was bought as a RB, talking of playing him elsewhere after 3 games, and playing him on the right ahead of S Armstrong, is ridiculous. 

Perraud has looked like a fish up a tree, and quite rightly was dropped. 

If the choice is:

1.  Livramento RB, KWP LB, S Armstrong RM, and Perraud bench or

2. KWP RB, Perraud LB, Livramento RM and S Armstrong bench 

Then it's option 1 all day long for me

Yeah, I’ve seen you postings re players, thank f*ck you aren’t the manager.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Kyle Walker-Peters