Kyle Walker-Peters

Saint-Armstrong

1 hour ago, Hodgey said:

We’ve got away with this as we clearly thought Valery was the next big thing, but that hasn’t worked out leaving us horribly exposed at right back. 

44 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Valery showed some potential but doesn’t have what it takes at this level for me, concentration and defensive positioning are just not there. 

He's 21. This message board has people trying to convince us Reed, Hesketh and Sims all have parts to play and they are 2-4 years older than Valery. Areas he needs to improve, obviously, but writing him off is genuinely laughable.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

He's 21. This message board has people trying to convince us Reed, Hesketh and Sims all have parts to play and they are 2-4 years older than Valery. Areas he needs to improve, obviously, but writing him off is genuinely laughable.

I've not read one person say Hesketh and Sims have a part to play. The only comments about them is that Les Reed thought they'd make it big, and one or two thought they'd do well. 

As to Valery, I agree with you. He has weaknesses, but he has a chance and shouldn't be written off. 

Wasn’t writing him off - he’s got something and has lost his way (he may actually be a better winger), May well improve in a few years but equally may drop down the leagues. point is - we thought he was an immediate replacement for Cedric - he wasn’t and we almost got badly burned....

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Wasn’t writing him off - he’s got something and has lost his way (he may actually be a better winger), May well improve in a few years but equally may drop down the leagues. point is - we thought he was an immediate replacement for Cedric - he wasn’t and we almost got badly burned....

Well said👌

12 hours ago, egg said:

I've not read one person say Hesketh and Sims have a part to play. The only comments about them is that Les Reed thought they'd make it big, and one or two thought they'd do well. 

As to Valery, I agree with you. He has weaknesses, but he has a chance and shouldn't be written off. 

I have read loads of comments

18 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Agree this is a really good signing at a very reasonable price,  especially considering the fee received for Targett. Bertrand was circa £10m before money got silly in football, he may have played a CL final (by default) but was still struggling to consistently perform for Villa on loan and was never in Chelsea’s long term plans. Felt like a gamble on a big club squad player at the time, one which worked out better than we could have ever hoped really!

To buy a promising English player with 6 months experience working with our squad (Ralph often mentions it takes much more time to get up to speed with his system), with lots of potential to improve for £12m in 2020 is a no brainer.

He looked excellent after lock down and I’m very pleased we have sorted out the shambles at RB. Valery showed some potential but doesn’t have what it takes at this level for me, concentration and defensive positioning are just not there. Cedric’s head was elsewhere and did have some clear weaknesses, despite his self proclaimed world class crossing...

Can anyone tell me what has happened to Kayne Ramsey who looked pretty decent when he made an unexpected debut against Man City about 18 months ago? We should've won that one...

(I know he went on loan to Shrewsbury - did he play much... is he still in Ralph's plans...?)

Edited by LaptopSaint
Added Shrews comment

23 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Can anyone tell me what has happened to Kayne Ramsey who looked pretty decent when he made an unexpected debut against Man City about 18 months ago? We should've won that one...

(I know he went on loan to Shrewsbury - did he play much... is he still in Ralph's plans...?)

He joined Shrewsbury on 31st January, so there wasn't much time for him between that and the League One season ending in March. He played 5 league games for them in that time.

Cedric’s problem with defending wasn’t particularly his height, it was that he was pretty shit. As mentioned, plenty of small fullbacks who do just fine, he’ll get beaten for headers sometimes i’m sure, but the game isn’t played in the air particularly often these days and what he lacks in height he more than makes up for in pace, desire and agility.

I went to the Saints big quiz thing with the ex players vs current players a couple of years back and Cedric was there. He came across as a really nice guy, real good laugh, obviously popular amongst his teammates and was happy to be the brunt of the joke a lot of the time. So I wish him well and hope he’s successful at Arsenal, I just think we needed to upgrade - appreciate some probably rated him but for me he wasn’t good enough at the things we need from a full back. KWP may or may not be either, but i’m optimistic from what i’ve seen, really glad we seem to have got him onboard. 

On 09/08/2020 at 11:42, S-Clarke said:

A lot is made of 'lightweight' and 'small' - but just look around at some of the best full backs, they're not all power houses are they?

Jordi Alba is tiny, Lucas Digne isn't huge either. I don't think it's a position where you necessarily need to be a powerhouse, but you certainly need pace with the way we play (right back supporting the attacks). He has pace in abundance, reads the game very well and has an excellent low centre of gravity which enables him to wiggle out of tight spots. He's got all the natural tools of a modern day wing back to be honest.

In the spirit of debate rather than being condescending, does he have pace in abundance? I say that because my best mate is a Spurs fan and one of the things he mentioned he found disappointing with KWP was that he was a bit slow. In the games I watched I don’t recall seeing him really turn on the burners.

I could be wrong, but just think it’s worth paying attention to this to see if it really is the case. There is a tendency for certain players to appear fast. Redmond is a good example. I’m sure some people will get annoyed over this comment, but there’s a reason Redmond has a higher Pace atttribute on Fifa than Shane Long, and it’s not because he is faster...!

10 minutes ago, mrfahaji said:

In the spirit of debate rather than being condescending, does he have pace in abundance? I say that because my best mate is a Spurs fan and one of the things he mentioned he found disappointing with KWP was that he was a bit slow. In the games I watched I don’t recall seeing him really turn on the burners.

I could be wrong, but just think it’s worth paying attention to this to see if it really is the case. There is a tendency for certain players to appear fast. Redmond is a good example. I’m sure some people will get annoyed over this comment, but there’s a reason Redmond has a higher Pace atttribute on Fifa than Shane Long, and it’s not because he is faster...!

There you go Redmond is fast but fails to deliver at a level that matches his pace and and ability to run with the ball - stand a a couple of big boys in front of him and steam starts to billow from his ears as he tries to figure out what to do, Long similar blisteringly fast keeps the oppo defence on its toes alas as has been seen more recently his feet don't operate at the same pace as his running and he has missed a few of what many would consider to be easy chances.

Watch KWP and what has impressed me is his football brain and tenacity, not sure if he is quick  but his quick thinking and importantly his vision probably more than makes up for that. Recent games he has lost the ball realised his error and been the first to Mop up the mess, Redmond is often dwelling on losing the ball running through it in his mind, SL is offside having burned all his fuel in the sprint. Again in the recent games to change things up when Armstrong has gone off, a few times JWP has momentarily slid back into a RB position and let KWP have a bit of a foray further up the pitch 

When KWP played against us last season and clattered Armstrong for the superb JWP goal - I thought he looked like a fish up a tree in the Spurs defence that day - I wondered what the whatsit we were doing taking him on loan. Seems to fit nicely into Saints way of playing under Ralph, and after that game last season for Spurs he has turned my head around and has looked a breath of fresh air.

At the end of the day you need allsorts of characters and abilities in your team - if the manager can pull all the attributes together to produce a potent force then that has to be better than just one individual who can run fast. 

8 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

There you go Redmond is fast but fails to deliver at a level that matches his pace and and ability to run with the ball - stand a a couple of big boys in front of him and steam starts to billow from his ears as he tries to figure out what to do, Long similar blisteringly fast keeps the oppo defence on its toes alas as has been seen more recently his feet don't operate at the same pace as his running and he has missed a few of what many would consider to be easy chances.

Watch KWP and what has impressed me is his football brain and tenacity, not sure if he is quick  but his quick thinking and importantly his vision probably more than makes up for that. Recent games he has lost the ball realised his error and been the first to Mop up the mess, Redmond is often dwelling on losing the ball running through it in his mind, SL is offside having burned all his fuel in the sprint. Again in the recent games to change things up when Armstrong has gone off, a few times JWP has momentarily slid back into a RB position and let KWP have a bit of a foray further up the pitch 

When KWP played against us last season and clattered Armstrong for the superb JWP goal - I thought he looked like a fish up a tree in the Spurs defence that day - I wondered what the whatsit we were doing taking him on loan. Seems to fit nicely into Saints way of playing under Ralph, and after that game last season for Spurs he has turned my head around and has looked a breath of fresh air.

At the end of the day you need allsorts of characters and abilities in your team - if the manager can pull all the attributes together to produce a potent force then that has to be better than just one individual who can run fast. 

But my point is that Redmond ISN'T "blisteringly fast" like Long is. He has quick feet, maybe a decent turn of pace, but in terms of straight line speed he's not actually that quick. How often do you see him overtake defenders to get the ball in the way Long does? The thing is, it doesn't matter much, because there are more important things, like you have listed. However my point is just that Redmond often gets cited as someone with "pace" and who we should be using to "stretch the play" when in fact that is a myth.

And funny that you should bring up that Spurs game, as that was one in particular my friend used as evidence that KWP isn't that quick - he asked me, "Didn't you say Redmond isn't particularly quick? Because he was regularly outpacing KWP. Hate full backs with no pace!" - hence my original reply to S-Clarke. I have been impressed with him too, but am reserving judgement on "pace in abundance" until I see more evidence of it. At no point have I sought to compare Redmond and KWP as footballers, but simply as examples of players who might have their speed overestimated.

9 hours ago, mrfahaji said:

This is true, although I do remember KWP showing a good turn of pace in a match, I think.

Armstrong is probably quicker than Redmond in a straight race but, as you say, appears less likely to be a top sprinter.

It's weird how the club haven't announced anything yet.

Sky Sports confirmed we'd signed Salisu last week, nothing from the club yet. 

No doubts at all that these are both done deals, it's just odd as to why the club are keeping it so quiet.

Edited by S-Clarke

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

No doubts at all that these are both done deals, it's just odd as to why the club are keeping it so quiet.

Probably waiting for Simon Peach to have his holiday...

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So currently as far as we know we are waiting for them to announce - 

Salisu signing

KWP signing

JWP contract extension

Bertrand possible contract extension going by the little clue the media team tweeted a few weeks back.

i suppose they are waiting for Salisu to arrive in the country, contract extensions when the players report back and KWP just been done so that could be anytime now?

9 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Salisu signing

KWP signing

JWP contract extension

Bertrand possible contract extension going by the little clue the media team tweeted a few weeks back.

i suppose they are waiting for Salisu to arrive in the country, contract extensions when the players report back and KWP just been done so that could be anytime now?

If they announce it all at once, how is this forum going to cope??? It'll be down for the day!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Not weired at all, dsipite what Sky report perhaps as of yet we havent actually signed them .....yet.

I read on Sky that Hojbjerg will be unveiled some point today by Spurs - and the KWP deal is personal terms yet to be agreed - obviously no negotiators in the building at Saints as you would have thought most of that would have been just going over the pencil with ink, unless that's classed as tapping up even though they are on loan with us already. 

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Salisu signing

KWP signing

JWP contract extension

My source has just told me KWP should be done later today, Hojbjerg is now complete. #watchthisspace

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Is your source Adam Blackmore off twitter....

Has he posted something? I've not seen, i've been in meetings most of the day so not be able to post. Either way if now Blackmore has confirmed my source as correct then it only confirms my ITK status.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Has he posted something? I've not seen, i've been in meetings most of the day so not be able to post. Either way if now Blackmore has confirmed my source as correct then it only confirms my ITK status.

😂😂😂 Alright bud, You aint pulling the wool over my eyes.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Kyle Walker-Peters: Official - Signs 5 Year Deal

KWP is ideal for Ralph in the same way PEH is ideal for Mourinho’s - win win. Salisu next to give us that pace and power lacking at CB, although Stephens and Jan improved hugely second half of the season. MC next and if we can move a few on that other clubs want - Reed, Boufal - then the Arsenal striker with a year left on his deal as a succession plan for Long and give Obafemi something to think about. 

Welcome to KWP. This feels like a good signing to me. A definite upgrade on recent right backs. Possible England caps in the future too - probably part of the add-ons  - obviously behind Trent Alexander at present, but who knows?  A five year contract? - pure speculation, but stays with us for 3 years and moves on to "bigger things" still with 2 years on his contract and therefore possibly with a good profit as well.  Time will tell... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Welcome to KWP. This feels like a good signing to me. A definite upgrade on recent right backs. Possible England caps in the future too - probably part of the add-ons  - obviously behind Trent Alexander at present, but who knows?  A five year contract? - pure speculation, but stays with us for 3 years and moves on to "bigger things" still with 2 years on his contract and therefore possibly with a good profit as well.  Time will tell... 

Lots of really good English right backs at the mo. Pretty stocked in that area for years to come, he'll find it hard to get in a squad imo.

Trent, obviously. Walker - still decent. Trippier, Aarons, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Reece James who looks really good. He's come on the scene at a time when there's lots of comp, he could certainly play for England but I think there will be higher profile players in the pecking order first.

I'm happy with this signing...would rather see an attacking wing-back who likes to go forward and has good ball control than a stay-at-home defender that invites pressure.

Also think PEH move to Spurs is good for him and us. Jack Charlton used to say there were footballers and players that stopped footballers playing...PEH is the latter...I'd rather have more creativity with the ball than muscle without it. 

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Lots of really good English right backs at the mo. Pretty stocked in that area for years to come, he'll find it hard to get in a squad imo.

Trent, obviously. Walker - still decent. Trippier, Aarons, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Reece James who looks really good. He's come on the scene at a time when there's lots of comp, he could certainly play for England but I think there will be higher profile players in the pecking order first.

Agreed. You've got Brandon Williams at Utd and Maitland-Niles at Arsenal too. Getting into any full-back slot in the England squad is going to be tough in future, as LB is well stocked too. Shame we haven't got the same depth at CB & CM.

9 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

Agreed. You've got Brandon Williams at Utd and Maitland-Niles at Arsenal too. Getting into any full-back slot in the England squad is going to be tough in future, as LB is well stocked too. Shame we haven't got the same depth at CB & CM.

I'd argue left back isn't stocked at all. Williams is a right back filling in on his wrong side and Maitland-Niles a very right footed midfielder who wants to leave Arsenal because they won't play him in his position.

England's left back options start and end with the pretty average Ben Chillwell and Luke Shaw (assuming Danny Rose and Bertrand are no longer in contention). 

Unless they successfully convert Bukayo Saka (and he doesn't switch to Nigeria) or Ryan Sessegnon (who Mourinho doesn't consider as a viable forward player) into full time left backs, the cupboard looks bare for the foreseeable future.

Step forward, Jake Vokins...

17 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeh, you're right, I'd particularly forgotten Wan-Bissaka. If there was a World Cup just for Right Backs, we'd probably win that! If KWP can get on a par with him and Trent Alexander, then we'll be laughing. Something for him to aim for though!

• 6 months later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Kyle Walker-Peters
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Kyle Walker-Peters