Kyle Walker-Peters

Saint-Armstrong

11 minutes ago, egg said:

Behave. Livramento was bought as a RB, talking of playing him elsewhere after 3 games, and playing him on the right ahead of S Armstrong, is ridiculous. 

Perraud has looked like a fish up a tree, and quite rightly was dropped. 

If the choice is:

1.  Livramento RB, KWP LB, S Armstrong RM, and Perraud bench or

2. KWP RB, Perraud LB, Livramento RM and S Armstrong bench 

Then it's option 1 all day long for me

How about option 3?  KWP RB, Perraud LB, Livramento RM and S Armstrong LM. Armstrong has played there before I think and none of other LM have been great so far. Would try in a cup game first. Nice problem to have in a way.

We have to give Perraud a longer time to bed in surely, otherwise why buy him? Let's not forget it took Ings (the mighty god in some people's view) best part of a season to settle in (many on here were clamoring for him to be sold and claiming what a waste of money he was).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, egg said:

Ha!! Dropping S Armstrong. Bless. 

You don't need to drop Armstrong though. It's a squad game these days, and Stu often seems to be blowing out of his arse by around the 70 minute mark.

Bringing on a fresh Tino to replace him in the second half would terrify the tiring opposition defenders.

5 minutes ago, Red said:

How about option 3?  KWP RB, Perraud LB, Livramento RM and S Armstrong LM. Armstrong has played there before I think and none of other LM have been great so far. Would try in a cup game first. Nice problem to have in a way.

We have to give Perraud a longer time to bed in surely, otherwise why buy him? Let's not forget it took Ings (the mighty god in some people's view) best part of a season to settle in (many on here were clamoring for him to be sold and claiming what a waste of money he was).

Yep, that's an option, but S Armstrong at LM is as much a square peg in a round hole as KWP at LB. 

My focus in options 1 and 2 were the players I mentioned just over those 3 positions. For me, you play your best players, and I rate S Armstrong a better player than Perraud, and to be honest, KWP may be a better LB than Perraud anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

You don't need to drop Armstrong though. It's a squad game these days, and Stu often seems to be blowing out of his arse by around the 70 minute mark.

Bringing on a fresh Tino to replace him in the second half would terrify the tiring opposition defenders.

Sure its a squad game, but every team has a best XI and for me that has Tino as our first pic RB. There's no need to meddle with that. It's what we do with our other squad players. Our best RM is S Armstrong and I'm sure he'll play there when fit. Assuming that's correct, we have KWP and Perraud - only one can play LB and although it's early days, KWP looks the better option to me. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Sure its a squad game, but every team has a best XI and for me that has Tino as our first pic RB. There's no need to meddle with that. It's what we do with our other squad players. Our best RM is S Armstrong and I'm sure he'll play there when fit. Assuming that's correct, we have KWP and Perraud - only one can play LB and although it's early days, KWP looks the better option to me. 

KWP was clearly at fault for one of Newcastle's goals last week though, so is he really the best option we have at LB? 

We signed two new LBs this summer, so it makes no sense whatsoever to play KWP there out of position when he was arguably our best player last season in his natural position.

Tino has looked very promising so far, but he's got a long way to go before proving he is our best RB ahead of KWP.

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

KWP was clearly at fault for one of Newcastle's goals last week though, so is he really the best option we have at LB? 

We signed two new LBs this summer, so it makes no sense whatsoever to play KWP there out of position when he was arguably our best player last season in his natural position.

Tino has looked very promising so far, but he's got a long way to go before proving he is our best RB ahead of KWP.

We all see it differently. I've not been impressed with Perraud at all, KWP looks a better option to me. The other lad is 17 and although he could be another Livramento, he could be another Vokins. 

To get our best players on the pitch at the same time, there is always at least one playing out of his natural position or the one we signed him to play - Livramento at RM, KWP at LB, S Armstrong at LM. That's a fact with our squad. 

As an aside, discussion is pointless when people criticise someone else's opinion because it suggests playing someone out of position / not where we signed him to play, but in the same breath argue the same for another player. 

5 minutes ago, egg said:

The other lad is 17 and although he could be another Livramento, he could be another Vokins. 

I've watched Thierry Small a lot in the Everton U23s, and believe me he is light years better than Vokins.

5 minutes ago, egg said:

As an aside, discussion is pointless when people criticise someone else's opinion because it suggests playing someone out of position / not where we signed him to play, but in the same breath argue the same for another player. 

Livramento hasn't always been a RB, he is an attacking right sided player who was converted to RB out of necessity in the Chelsea youth team.

Suggesting moving him forward is not the same as advocating playing a naturally right sided player on the left.

7 minutes ago, egg said:

We all see it differently. I've not been impressed with Perraud at all, KWP looks a better option to me. The other lad is 17 and although he could be another Livramento, he could be another Vokins. 

To get our best players on the pitch at the same time, there is always at least one playing out of his natural position or the one we signed him to play - Livramento at RM, KWP at LB, S Armstrong at LM. That's a fact with our squad. 

I haven’t always agreed with stuff you post, but I do with this.

It matters little if we play someone out of position if they are performing better than the natural incumbent for the role.

Although I dont think Perrault has done so bad, if KWP is a better option for the opposition, then why not - that said, if Perraud doesn’t play, he cant improve.

I wonder v WHU we will see Perraud back, a bit less light weight than KWP?

I'd like us to play all of them. KWP and Perraud as full backs, Livramento in a three with JWP and Romeu with S. Armstrong (if fit) in front of them. Adams and AA upfront. Especially against Man City. A 4-3-1-2 formation.  

7 hours ago, egg said:

Perraud has played two games ffs, he will take time to adjust to a new league. That said he hasn't been bad, just hasn't instantly stood out like Tino.

Playing KWP out of position is a sure fire way to piss him off. He was one of our best players last season, there's no need to move or drop him. I'm fed up with us putting square pegs in round holes and now we have more depth there is no reason to do that. 

Perraud LB, KWP RB, Armstrong in either of the 'ten' positions with Tino either on the right or fresh and ready to come off the bench. At least we have options now but I don't want to see KWP becoming disenchanted.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, egg said:

Behave. Livramento was bought as a RB, talking of playing him elsewhere after 3 games, and playing him on the right ahead of S Armstrong, is ridiculous. 

Perraud has looked like a fish up a tree, and quite rightly was dropped. 

If the choice is:

1.  Livramento RB, KWP LB, S Armstrong RM, and Perraud bench or

2. KWP RB, Perraud LB, Livramento RM and S Armstrong bench 

Then it's option 1 all day long for me

That's how I see it, you'd imagine they'll be testing Perraud in training and he may well improve, I watched pre season and first two league games and he just seems to be lacking something. 

Theirry Small - doubt we'll see him for a while if he refused to train with Everton (is that correct?) 

On 04/09/2021 at 09:08, Chris cooper said:

Yeah I agree but if tino has an outstanding season he could be gone next year himself and if we get rid of kwp in January we will be back to square one.. would be so Saints to do that.

I'm sure KWP will be only too happy to step back into the side after being dumped for a season. If he's been dropped to second choice I would not blame him in the slightest if he pushed for a move.

• Like 1

I suppose the KWP situation is a difficult one for any Manager.
The club has brought in a young right back who has started the season very well but players of this age often experience a dip in form at some stage of the season.
Meantime KWP has been an excellent buy and has probably increased his transfer value.
KWP can fill in at left back but this is not a natural position for him.
There is also adequate cover at right back provided by Valery.
So does the club stick or twist?
Subject to the expected transfer value of KWP, if I was Saints Manager I would look at reluctantly selling KWP and use the money strengthening at defensive midfield and cover at left back.
A difficult decision as KWP has been an excellent player for us.

On 04/09/2021 at 21:05, JRM said:

That's how I see it, you'd imagine they'll be testing Perraud in training and he may well improve, I watched pre season and first two league games and he just seems to be lacking something. 

Theirry Small - doubt we'll see him for a while if he refused to train with Everton (is that correct?) 

He didn't refuse to train at Everton. He refused their contract offer, and therefore wasn't employed by Everton when they went back for pre-season training.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2021 at 22:04, LiberalCommunist said:

I really hope we haven't pissed Kwp off. We must keep him. We've been putting square pegs in rounds holes for years, I'm happy to do that just to keep these two quality players happy. 

An inevitable consequence of having a squad fit for the PL is that good players will spend time on the bench. The idea that we'd persist with square pegs/round holes to avoid it baffles me. I've personally had my fill of Ralph's fun and games with the full back positions tbh.

This is a problem of Ralph's / club's own making. There was no need to drop KWP and literally no one would be clamouring for him to do so in order to give Tino a game, other than in the cup matches.

It makes no sense and smacks of pure moneyball and interference from above IMO.

Edited by benjii

1 hour ago, benjii said:

This is a problem of Ralph's / club's own making. There was no need to drop KWP and literally no one would be clamouring for him to do so in order to give Tino a game, other than in the cup matches.

I'm inclined to agree. I thought Tino and Small would be the backups/cup gamers this season, but Ralph has favoured Tino over KWP in opening games. Now, I don't mind if he wants to alternate them, either game by game, or run of games, but KWP cannot be sidelined. Similarly Small needs to get a few games this season to bring him on.

LB had be resolved, and more than happy with the two guys there. RB didn't need to be changed. We just needed a backup (assuming Valery wasn't going to be that player).

48 minutes ago, benjii said:

Definitely an element that starting Livramento makes a big impact/statement in Academy football. Probably also played a part in bring able to sign Small rather than him going to a competitor.

That said, pretty clear from watching Livramento that he is going to be a monster player, and there probably isnt a big difference right now between him and KWP.

Genuinely tough call, but Livramento at £5m was a no brainer and will probably be in demand next summer I would imagine.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Definitely an element that starting Livramento makes a big impact/statement in Academy football. Probably also played a part in bring able to sign Small rather than him going to a competitor.

That said, pretty clear from watching Livramento that he is going to be a monster player, and there probably isnt a big difference right now between him and KWP.

Genuinely tough call, but Livramento at £5m was a no brainer and will probably be in demand next summer I would imagine.

Yep. Livramento undoubtedly signed to play, and if Ralph thinks he's the better option at Rab, that's what Ralph is paid to decide. Him playing will have added credence to any assurances we gave Small that he'd play if he signed, and won't do any harm if this tactic of buying young talent from other academies. 

26 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. Livramento undoubtedly signed to play, and if Ralph thinks he's the better option at Rab, that's what Ralph is paid to decide. Him playing will have added credence to any assurances we gave Small that he'd play if he signed, and won't do any harm if this tactic of buying young talent from other academies. 

But there is another option to play both on the right side infront of one another surley

1 minute ago, Roo1976 said:

But there is another option to play both on the right side infront of one another surley

Sure, the kid's played RM a lot at u23 level, but it's clear from his bio on the os that he was signed as a RB. I also think S Armstrong will be, and should be, first pick on the right when he's fit. The only way to get KWP, Livramento, and Armstrong on the pitch is for one of them to be played out of their best position or the position that we signed them to play. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Depressed of Shirley said:

He didn't refuse to train at Everton. He refused their contract offer, and therefore wasn't employed by Everton when they went back for pre-season training.

Thanks, wasn't there talk about him having a bad attitude or was that just Everton fans annoyed that he wouldn't sign a new deal? 

Assume from end of season in May until we signed him he wasn't involved in any training so he'll need a bit of time. Born in August 2004, blimey makes me feel old. 

On 04/09/2021 at 22:04, LiberalCommunist said:

I really hope we haven't pissed Kwp off. We must keep him. We've been putting square pegs in rounds holes for years, I'm happy to do that just to keep these two quality players happy. 

Agree.  It was one of the few positions that really didn't need improving.  If only one of them could be equally good on the left. 

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Thought he was overall very good today. What a brilliant signing he's been and such an asset. I'd almost be tempted to say he's better on the left.

Great signing; seems to be a good lad, plays with a smile on his face, prepared to get his hands dirty when required.    It's going to be interesting if Small develops quickly as many expect.  Should always start (KWP).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Thought he was overall very good today. What a brilliant signing he's been and such an asset. I'd almost be tempted to say he's better on the left.

He is absolutely not better on the left. Had a good game but we are forever limited in our attacking threat down the side because of how one footed he is. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

He is absolutely not better on the left. Had a good game but we are forever limited in our attacking threat down the side because of how one footed he is. 

And there are plenty of times he gets caught out defensively by being right sided. 

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

We have our two best full backs on the field, and having KWP on the left is better than having Perraud there or shoving Livramento into a position he wasn't signed to play in, and never has at senior level. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

We have our two best full backs on the field, and having KWP on the left is better than having Perraud there or shoving Livramento into a position he wasn't signed to play in, and never has at senior level. 

Tino struggles to get back and defend he needs to learn some basic up and down defending .. still think he’d thrive ahead of Kwp on the right side and would give us the attacking Balance ..how is theirry small doing ? Is he anywhere near ready ? Small with moi down left could be a future option.

14 minutes ago, egg said:

All these keyboard managers writing off Perraud, who in my opinion, has not been given a fair chance by a manager, who had a big say in said players signing.

3 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

All these keyboard managers writing off Perraud, who in my opinion, has not been given a fair chance by a manager, who had a big say in said players signing.

100% it's not just about best players, it's about balance and as much as I rate kwp he's nowhere near as effective and get caught wrong sided causing a lot of unnecessary fouls, Peroud would give us more balance and then push Tino infant of Kwp on the right, again really rate Tino but he's can be a little bit of liability at rb due to poor positional sense this is mainly down to experience and age, id rather not ruin his confidence as he's clearly gone downhill over last 4-5weeks and either needs to be rested or pushed further forward without the pressure of cocking up being last man or at fault for a goal

Keyboard manager! I've seen him play. Have you? If so, do you really believe he's a better option at LB than KWP? 

It's not about writing him off. He is playing behind two of our best players. I have been impressed by Perraud, but he has stiff competition.

Regarding KWP on the left, I too have quite liked him on the left. I think he attacks just as well on the left as he does on the right. Inverted wingers/wingbacks/fullbacks are pretty common nowadays. Players like Cancelo and Maehle arguably have their best games on the other side to their foot. We are not really a team that relies on crossing particularly heavily (Tino is a poor crosser too) so I don't think it is such a big deal he can't go outside and whip in crosses.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, egg said:

Keyboard manager! I've seen him play. Have you? If so, do you really believe he's a better option at LB than KWP? 

From what I've seen I think we look better with Perraud at left back, yes. He has a cracking cross on him with his left foot which would make us more of a threat as well. 

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

From what I've seen I think we look better with Perraud at left back, yes. He has a cracking cross on him with his left foot which would make us more of a threat as well. 

Perraud can cross well but to who? We are not a team that scores a lot of headers and haven't been since Pelle left. We don't set up like a Burnley or an Everton. The ability for a fullback to whip in a mean cross is less important in our side than the ability to progress the ball, press, dribble, and to pick incisive through balls. All of which both Tino and KWP are better at over Perraud imo.

KWP and Tino are 1st and 7th respectively for take ons per 90 for defenders in the league and are ahead of Perraud on pretty much every metric other than crossing. I think it's handy to have a crosser in the side so we can do something a bit different but, outside of deadball situations, we just don't really cross that much. We are more likely to pull it back to someone in the box in that situation.

Edited by TWar

26 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

Perraud can cross well but to who?

Our best striker...

Edited by Matthew Le God

21 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Our striker...

Being good at headed duels isn't the same as being able to score goals from crosses. Hitting balls long and our forwards winning the ball in the air and then us winning the second ball is a very key part of how we play but that's not the same as putting in goals from whipped in crosses. According to this: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/armando-broja/alletore/spieler/571743Broja has scored one headed goal in his senior club career. Not sure that's a good enough argument to favour a more cross heavy approach than what we do at the moment, which is already working very well for Broja.

Edited by TWar

57 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Would you prefer Perraud at LB to KWP? That's the issue, not whether Perraud is OK. Personally I think KWP is better in every way than Perraud, save crossing ability with left foot, but as TWar says that's largely academic as he has nobody to hit with his crosses. His assist yesterday shows that you haven't got to put into the mixer to be creative from full back. 

• Like 1

KWP deserves to be in the side, so Perraud is just going to have to bide his time. I’ve nothing against inverted widemen or full backs, but not down the same side together. Surely one of the reasons you play the wideman on the “wrong” side is he cuts inside dragging his full back with him, which gives our full back more space to overlap. If our full back then has to come inside because he doesn’t cross particularly well on his wrong foot, then it’s a wasted opportunity. All this pony about crossing and who heads it in, is just that pony. Nowadays when you get in behind their full backs the cross is low, or pulled back for someone. If we had an exceptional left back, then one of KWP or Tino will have to warm the bench, we haven’t, and we’re not good enough to leave better players out. I just wish we had a better left footed wide man in front of him. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

KWP deserves to be in the side, so Perraud is just going to have to bide his time. I’ve nothing against inverted widemen or full backs, but not down the same side together. Surely one of the reasons you play the wideman on the “wrong” side is he cuts inside dragging his full back with him, which gives our full back more space to overlap. If our full back then has to come inside because he doesn’t cross particularly well on his wrong foot, then it’s a wasted opportunity. All this pony about crossing and who heads it in, is just that pony. Nowadays when you get in behind their full backs the cross is low, or pulled back for someone. If we had an exceptional left back, then one of KWP or Tino will have to warm the bench, we haven’t, and we’re not good enough to leave better players out. 

I'm with you on not having two players on the wrong side together. If KWP is on the left then he needs a left footer ahead of him. We then have KWP coming inside and the wide man going outside. That gives the opposition more to think about than 2 men wanting to go outside or inside. 

I'm not sure why it's pony though to question who'll get on the end of crosses. It's a basic point - don't ping it in if you haven't got anyone to get on the end of the cross, you may as well just give the ball to them as that's what you're essentially doing. 

Edited by egg

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm not sure why it's pony though to question who'll get on the end of crosses. It's a basic point - don't ping it in if you haven't got anyone to get on the end of the cross, you may as well just give the ball to them as what you're essentially doing. 

What I meant was there doesn’t need to be a big man on the end of it. Most crosses nowadays are passes pulled back, accurate pin point delivery or driven along the 6 yard line. Not many fighting balls go in there these days. Look at Jota, he’s hardly Joe Jordan but he gets on the end of a few. If we get blokes in box the crosser can pick them out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

KWP deserves to be in the side, so Perraud is just going to have to bide his time. I’ve nothing against inverted widemen or full backs, but not down the same side together. Surely one of the reasons you play the wideman on the “wrong” side is he cuts inside dragging his full back with him, which gives our full back more space to overlap. If our full back then has to come inside because he doesn’t cross particularly well on his wrong foot, then it’s a wasted opportunity. All this pony about crossing and who heads it in, is just that pony. Nowadays when you get in behind their full backs the cross is low, or pulled back for someone. If we had an exceptional left back, then one of KWP or Tino will have to warm the bench, we haven’t, and we’re not good enough to leave better players out. I just wish we had a better left footed wide man in front of him. 

Low crosses and pullbacks aren't as important to be on the outside foot. KWP can easily beat his man, turn perpendicular to the goal and pull it back right footed, and he does this very often as well as driving along the line towards the goal in order to get a better angle. Crossing with your left foot from the left is generally better as an out-swinger gives you more room to work with, see my frankly gorgeous illustration (where black is attackers, red is defenders/keeper, blue is an in-swinger and green is an out-swinger):

image.png.114c9e39b4ead4985e728e1113b7288e.png

But if your intention is to cut it back from the by-line then it doesn't matter, that's the basis of how Djenepo plays.

Edited by TWar

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What I meant was there doesn’t need to be a big man on the end of it. Most crosses nowadays are passes pulled back, accurate pin point delivery or driven along the 6 yard line. Not many fighting balls go in there these days. Look at Jota, he’s hardly Joe Jordan but he gets on the end of a few. If we get blokes in box the crosser can pick them out. 

Jota has a great leap and can head a ball well.  Jota has more headed goals in the two seasons (7) than Adams (1), Armstrong (3), and Broja (1) have combined in their senior careers. Heading is not an easy skill everyone has, it's tricky. If Broja shows in training he's a modern day Peter Crouch then by all means we should try to cross more, but until he does so lets keep playing the way we currently do, as Broja is banging in a tonne with this system.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Kyle Walker-Peters