Kyle Walker-Peters

Saint-Armstrong

2 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

London Bridge is a bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. It was built in the 1830s and formerly spanned the River Thames in London, England. It was dismantled in 1967 and relocated to Arizona. The Arizona bridge is a reinforced concrete structure clad in the original masonry of the 1830s bridge, which was purchased by Robert P. McCulloch from the City of London. McCulloch had exterior granite blocks from the original bridge numbered and transported to America to construct the present bridge in Lake Havasu City, a planned community he established in 1964 on the shore of Lake Havasu. The bridge was completed in 1971 (along with a canal), and links an island in the Colorado River with the main part of Lake Havasu City.

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

image.thumb.png.7d1dcbc20841e1c8929d77374856ab22.png

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The bridge was bought and reconstruted but the myth is that the buyer thought he was getting Tower Bridge.

Sorry, should have made it clear the myth was that it was they bought it thinking it was Tower Bridge.  I've actually been to Lake Havasu (which is why I know all about it).  Very nice place too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Meanwhile …. back on Walker-Peters,has he signed yet?

(This is going to be Skacel all over again.)

Going by Ralph s last press conference, he doesn t appear extra keen to sign, says he s had good games but has made mistakes too and that they have several options in the summer to fill the right back spot and he hasn t decided yet.

51 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Going by Ralph s last press conference, he doesn t appear extra keen to sign, says he s had good games but has made mistakes too and that they have several options in the summer to fill the right back spot and he hasn t decided yet.

Bit of poker going on.

Defensively all over the place first half but started the move for the 1st and did a superb block/tackle when Wilson needed to tap it in. 2nd half better at the back, looked like RH sat RB and KWP a touch deeper defensively which helped a lot.

10m-14m ...would be decent enough and don't think anyone can grumble too much.

1 minute ago, the saint in winchester said:

I think he has already improved massively since coming here, so Ralph's coaching of him is helping. Hungry and capacity to improve, check.

And Spurs have named the price at £10M, which is modest, so I would go for it.

Would you always pay the asking price for a property?

I hope we get this wrapped up asap. If we have a price set from the loan then great, but otherwise if Hoj goes to Everton then imagine Levy will be doing his usual and trying to charge £20mil odd. I think signing him is a must, and at £10mil it’d be a snip imo for a 23 year old English full back who we’ve been able to test out first.

49 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Oh why ? Are you afraid of the big bad wolf  Levy? 

Small club tin pot mentality right there.

£10m for a young, English player with PL and European experience, who has already demonstrated his usefulness and suitability for Ralph's system, is an absolute steal. 

I would much rather we pay Spurs what they are asking for him, rather than miss out because of our own stubbornness and end up having to take a gamble on a player from the European leagues.

We sold Targett for at least £14m (some reports said £17m and I can barely recall a good game he had for us.

IMO KWP with a few years left on his contract has to be worth at least £15m.

Therefore something like KWP and £5m for Hojbjerg represents a good deal considering the latter has only a year left on his contract. If we really wanted £35m then we should have sold him last summer or extended his contract sooner.

Usually our incomings are risky as you never know how they will settle from foreign leagues or take the step up from the Championship. In that regard KWP is brilliant as he is already prooving he will be a good signing.

If we don't buy him you can be sure someone else in the PL will do.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2020 at 14:15, Dusic said:

We sold Targett for at least £14m (some reports said £17m and I can barely recall a good game he had for us.

IMO KWP with a few years left on his contract has to be worth at least £15m.

Therefore something like KWP and £5m for Hojbjerg represents a good deal considering the latter has only a year left on his contract. If we really wanted £35m then we should have sold him last summer or extended his contract sooner.

Good comparison. Targett got rave reviews in the championship and that was why Villa signed him. KWP hasn't had the same press, but has looked a better player than Targett ever did. I think `want' or `need' to sell are two key considerations. Spurs want to sell KWP. No doubt about it. They want his wages gone so they can spend the elsewhere. I am not sure we felt the same way about Targett last summer. For that reason, we might get a better deal for KWP, but we'll see.

As for Hoj, who would have spent £35m on him last summer? No one. The fact he only has a year left is what makes him attractive. I've been amazed at the fees paid over the last couple of season for many players in the last year of their contract. I've never rated Hoj, but if Spurs want him they must see a top player and thus should be paying top dollar. `£25m and falling', feels light, although with the pandemic, who knows.

10 hours ago, Chez said:

Targett got rave reviews in the championship and that was why Villa signed him.

Well MT did play for us over 20 games the season after that loan spell at the top level. Both similar players, both look better going forward but KWP has that extra pace.

On 21/07/2020 at 10:46, iansums said:

Would you always pay the asking price for a property?

On 21/07/2020 at 11:08, SaintsFan86 said:

10Million is a good price, Lets not piss off Spurs more than we should eh.

I'm all for a bargain, but I think £10M is on the low side for KWP now. Admittedly, when he came I thought £5M was about right, but seeing him improve under Ralph and thinking of where he could be in a couple of years, I would pay the £10M now, improve him further and brace ourselves for £30M offers in 2022!

• 3 weeks later...

£12m for KWP and £20m for PEH. If these figures are correct, I can't help thinking we've come out of this pretty well.  Based upon what we've seen since lockdown I think KWP could be the best right-back we've had for years.  Just think.....a right back who can cross the ball accurately.  Whatever next? 

That's good business if the figures are correct. Take the loyalty bonus out of the Hoj fee though, agents, the KWP add inns, the loan fee we will have previously paid, and I suspect that we're not actually up much money.. 

That all said, I like KWP and think he'll do well for us. I think Hoj is underrated but we've shown we can live without him. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

That's good business if the figures are correct. Take the loyalty bonus out of the Hoj fee though, agents, the KWP add inns, the loan fee we will have previously paid, and I suspect that we're not actually up much money.. 

That all said, I like KWP and think he'll do well for us. I think Hoj is underrated but we've shown we can live without him. 

Dont every club have agents fees, loyalty bonuses and adds on to pay for pretty much every single transfer they do? Plus we supposedly got a loan fee of £5m for Cedric which covers almost half the transfer fee

Edited by Turkish

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No they didn't 

Congratulations Matthew for once you are right. We got £1m the package was £5m which included them paying his wages.

either way i very much doubt our loan fee for walker Peters was more than £1m so the loan fee is pretty much negligible as part of the permanent deal

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Dont every club have agents fees, loyalty bonuses and adds on to pay for pretty much every single transfer they do? Plus we supposedly got a loan fee of £5m for Cedric which covers almost half the transfer fee

If the Hoj fee is say £20m, and KWP is £12m, there's a theoretical £8m profit. If the loan fee, agents fees, loyalty bonuses, signing on fee etc totals £8m, there is no profit. Sure, other clubs have those outgoings, but that doesn't alter that what looks like a profit often isn't. 

10 minutes ago, egg said:

If the Hoj fee is say £20m, and KWP is £12m, there's a theoretical £8m profit. If the loan fee, agents fees, loyalty bonuses, signing on fee etc totals £8m, there is no profit. Sure, other clubs have those outgoings, but that doesn't alter that what looks like a profit often isn't. 

They are separate deals though. We needed to sign a right back so whatever ever happened we’d have to stump up for one and we’ve got a good one for £5m less than we got for Targett last summer. The loan fee for walker Peters was more than likely was covered by the Cedric loan fee we got. Spurs will also have had to pay loyalty bonuses, agents fees and so on, I find it bizarre that every time anyone talks about making a profit in a transfer window suddenly agents fees and loyalty bonuses are wheeled out to claim things aren’t as good as they first appear when every other club has to pay them too.

Edited by Turkish

Looks like KWP is close to being completed now... Spurs fans saying he's good going forward but way too weak and lightweight in defence, do you think this is something RH can improve if spurs have failed to? Then again PEH could be described the same surely? 

38 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Looks like KWP is close to being completed now... Spurs fans saying he's good going forward but way too weak and lightweight in defence, do you think this is something RH can improve if spurs have failed to? Then again PEH could be described the same surely? 

Spurs really haven't seen him much. He only played 12 premier League games for them in the last three seasons.

Points per game with Spurs this season was 1.33.

With us was 1.8.

If Ralph is comfortable that he understands the playbook, that's all we need.

12 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Spurs really haven't seen him much. He only played 12 premier League games for them in the last three seasons.

Points per game with Spurs this season was 1.33.

With us was 1.8.

If Ralph is comfortable that he understands the playbook, that's all we need.

Agreed if Ralph believes in him then he clearly must have something, he's certainly impressed more than PEH did In the couple of appearances he made! Wonder where this leaves Yan Valery? He must be a third Or forth choice now 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Agreed if Ralph believes in him then he clearly must have something, he's certainly impressed more than PEH did In the couple of appearances he made! Wonder where this leaves Yan Valery? He must be a third Or forth choice now 

Valery is still second choice RB surely? Who else do we have?

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

I wonder if Spurs fans are blinded by a big cock up he made against Barcelona I think it was the year they got to the Champions League Final ? 

Unlike some of our recent right backs he has been in the right place at the right time quite a bit with blocks etc. Ok hes made a few mistakes but if you look at his career stats hes played more for England Under 19/20/21's than he had for Spurs. He looks very comfortable on the ball, he obviously has something about him. Very pleased with this signing to be honest.

The big, big imponderable with any signing is whether he will fit in/the deal will work out.  Something like 1/3 of signings just don't work for one reason or another - no fault, just doesn't work out.  That is clearly not an issue here: he is a no-risk signing, and partly because of that a really good deal for the club

• Lighthouse changed the title to Kyle Walker-Peters

I think in terms of price, his age and the fact he has been with the group for over 6 months now so no need to settle in (plus he's English so no new culture, language, style of league to adjust to) means its a pretty low risk signing. 

Sure if he isn't great then we need another right back, but I think he has shown there is a decent player there and we know Ralph has managed to improve several of our players (JWP, Redmond, Stephens) so lets hope he is another. 

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

Can that be coached out of the player ? 

More time in the gym perhaps.

A lot is made of 'lightweight' and 'small' - but just look around at some of the best full backs, they're not all power houses are they?

Jordi Alba is tiny, Lucas Digne isn't huge either. I don't think it's a position where you necessarily need to be a powerhouse, but you certainly need pace with the way we play (right back supporting the attacks). He has pace in abundance, reads the game very well and has an excellent low centre of gravity which enables him to wiggle out of tight spots. He's got all the natural tools of a modern day wing back to be honest.

57 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

A lot is made of 'lightweight' and 'small' - but just look around at some of the best full backs, they're not all power houses are they?

Jordi Alba is tiny, Lucas Digne isn't huge either. I don't think it's a position where you necessarily need to be a powerhouse, but you certainly need pace with the way we play (right back supporting the attacks). He has pace in abundance, reads the game very well and has an excellent low centre of gravity which enables him to wiggle out of tight spots. He's got all the natural tools of a modern day wing back to be honest.

Most fullbacks are not like 6 foot +, pace and stamina is what a modern full back needs and good technical ability as they are now expected to be contributing a lot in the final third. 

I also wonder where all these giant target men or wingers are that you supposedly need big fullbacks for. 

Fantastic signing at a good price. We’ve got away with this as we clearly thought Valery was the next big thing, but that hasn’t worked out leaving us horribly exposed at right back. If KWP hadn’t worked out we would be in panic buying mode now and other clubs would know it.

All that aside, he looks like exactly the sort of player who can fit into our team, with clear quality going fwd. People worried about him being beaten on the far post in the air - well Clyne was the same (we used to do it against Palace) it’s part and parcel.

Really pleased with this - not often you buy someone knowing they will walk into the 1st team - especially at that price...

Agree this is a really good signing at a very reasonable price,  especially considering the fee received for Targett. Bertrand was circa £10m before money got silly in football, he may have played a CL final (by default) but was still struggling to consistently perform for Villa on loan and was never in Chelsea’s long term plans. Felt like a gamble on a big club squad player at the time, one which worked out better than we could have ever hoped really!

To buy a promising English player with 6 months experience working with our squad (Ralph often mentions it takes much more time to get up to speed with his system), with lots of potential to improve for £12m in 2020 is a no brainer.

He looked excellent after lock down and I’m very pleased we have sorted out the shambles at RB. Valery showed some potential but doesn’t have what it takes at this level for me, concentration and defensive positioning are just not there. Cedric’s head was elsewhere and did have some clear weaknesses, despite his self proclaimed world class crossing...

• Lighthouse changed the title to Kyle Walker-Peters