Kyle Walker-Peters

Saint-Armstrong

3 hours ago, Batman said:

May I ask what makes you so special you think you can use names on here when it is against the rules?

No offence intended. Lighthouse did edit my post but that seems to have got reversed, so I have just corrected it.

18 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Not sure I want us to be up for signing KWP permanently, but does anyone what sor tof salary he is on? This site suggeests £20K per week, which seems low.

If PEH goes to Spurs, I guess he could be a makewight?

Spurs wages aren’t at the stratospheric level many other clubs piddle up the wall, makes me wonder if the win bonus is rather nice thank you. Think Arsenal did similar once as did we in the days of Lowe. It’s only recently Kane had a new contract that bolted him to the floor at £200k pw not that long ago he was around £50k pw which when it came out made you think Gosh that’s low.

Thought he was excellent today, shackled Sterling very well so much so that I think he ended up switching sides. But it's only one game, something to build on though, there is clearly some talent there.

Also lovely pass and vision to almost put Ings through as well. 

Can expect Spurs to massively over charge for him though. 

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Thought he was excellent today, shackled Sterling very well so much so that I think he ended up switching sides. But it's only one game, something to build on though, there is clearly some talent there.

Also lovely pass and vision to almost put Ings through as well. 

Can expect Spurs to massively over charge for him though. 

Ralph insinuated last week the fee etc had already been agreed and the ball is entirely in our court.

15 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Ralph insinuated last week the fee etc had already been agreed and the ball is entirely in our court.

Anything over the value we sold Targett for would be disappointing. Hopefully a good deal for us from Spurs for once!

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Still not sure. Still very suspect defensively. 

Disagree, he is so small and quick he gets in between the attacker and the ball when it looks impossible, he also plays his way out of tight corners, I like what I have seen of him so far.. 

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Disagree, he is so small and quick he gets in between the attacker and the ball when it looks impossible, he also plays his way out of tight corners, I like what I have seen of him so far.. 

I know we beat City etc etc, but two horrible bits of defending by him...first casually/stupidly laying the ball to their player on the edge of the box to strike and hit the post, 2nd time was he was covering Silva but decided to leave him space for some reason by running out to the flank, Silva span in the box and have a run at goal but denied by a good save.

If they had both gone in the opinion would have been much different I'm sure lol. We got away with them yesterday. The rest of his game looked alright tbh.

3 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I know we beat City etc etc, but two horrible bits of defending by him...first casually/stupidly laying the ball to their player on the edge of the box to strike and hit the post, 2nd time was he was covering Silva but decided to leave him space for some reason by running out to the flank, Silva span in the box and have a run at goal but denied by a good save.

If they had both gone in the opinion would have been much different I'm sure lol. We got away with them yesterday. The rest of his game looked alright tbh.

Both he and Bertie got caught out several times. But then again we are talking about Man City so I'll cut them some slack on that. 

I thought that he had an excellent game last night, very sound technically and doesn't give the ball away too much. He did make one or two mistakes but the relentless attacking of Man City meant that there was no where to hide for our defenders. Even our MoM Jack Stephens made a glaring error in the 2nd half which could have led to the equaliser. I didn't like the fact that David Silva out jumped him for a header though ..... 

I still think that there are three reasons why we may not sign him:

1) I've yet to see him contribute much as an attacking force in the final 3rd. I appreciate that Man City wasn't a game where he would get much opportunity for that ... 

2) There remains questions about his physicality and strength 

3) Mr Levy  (probably the biggest reason) 

14 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

I thought that he had an excellent game last night, very sound technically and doesn't give the ball away too much. He did make one or two mistakes but the relentless attacking of Man City meant that there was no where to hide for our defenders. Even our MoM Jack Stephens made a glaring error in the 2nd half which could have led to the equaliser. I didn't like the fact that David Silva out jumped him for a header though ..... 

I still think that there are three reasons why we may not sign him:

1) I've yet to see him contribute much as an attacking force in the final 3rd. I appreciate that Man City wasn't a game where he would get much opportunity for that ... 

2) There remains questions about his physicality and strength 

3) Mr Levy  (probably the biggest reason) 

Could not disagree more with any of this. The lad has played only 3 games or so for us, he's settling in nicely and his confidence is growing in every match. 

The first job of a right back is to defend and he has already shown that he can do that in spades. He reads the game well and is fast on his feet. Sterling was nowhere to be seen yesterday apart from that one shot at McCarthy.

You talk about him not getting forward. Were you not watching when he ran forwards late in the second half to drop a pin-point cross onto Ings foot?

Who is asking questions about his physicality and strength exactly? Yesterday he was in the thick of it,  got battered more than once but just got up and got on with it.

Levy will ask top dollar especially with the lad turning in a top performance on national TV but we can always walk away. He needs the money more than you might think and Hojberg is a strong bargaining point..

• Like 1

Clyne comparison made above, but has always been on my mind too, has a similar movement style I think, slightly hunched over and looks a bit awkward on the ball sometimes but effective.

Really worth remembering he has only made 12 senior appearances for Tottenham too, he’s 23 but he’s still barely played in the Premier League. I like him, i’ve liked him in every game, and yesterday was exactly the performance he needed to leave a mark. That cross for Ings was the sort of intelligence and precision that we have so desperately lacked with Cedric as our RB, everything was just smashed into the air with no direction. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Clyne comparison made above, but has always been on my mind too, has a similar movement style I think, slightly hunched over and looks a bit awkward on the ball sometimes but effective.

Really worth remembering he has only made 12 senior appearances for Tottenham too, he’s 23 but he’s still barely played in the Premier League. I like him, i’ve liked him in every game, and yesterday was exactly the performance he needed to leave a mark. That cross for Ings was the sort of intelligence and precision that we have so desperately lacked with Cedric as our RB, everything was just smashed into the air with no direction. 

This jumped out to me too when reading his stats. Why has he not been on loan and had a decent bout of games in League 1 or the Champs?

Still can't understand how teams are reluctant to let their young players go out on loan to play games and gain experience when the U21 league is clearly not fit for purpose. It did players like Morgan and Lallana a world of good. By the time they reached the PL, they had 150+ league games under their belt and hit the ground running at that level (more or less).

23 is not that young in footballing standards and he really should have played 100+ senior games.

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Could not disagree more with any of this. The lad has played only 3 games or so for us, he's settling in nicely and his confidence is growing in every match. 

The first job of a right back is to defend and he has already shown that he can do that in spades. He reads the game well and is fast on his feet. Sterling was nowhere to be seen yesterday apart from that one shot at McCarthy.

You talk about him not getting forward. Were you not watching when he ran forwards late in the second half to drop a pin-point cross onto Ings foot?

Who is asking questions about his physicality and strength exactly? Yesterday he was in the thick of it,  got battered more than once but just got up and got on with it.

Levy will ask top dollar especially with the lad turning in a top performance on national TV but we can always walk away. He needs the money more than you might think and Hojberg is a strong bargaining point..

KWP played a lovely ball in to Ings, but he played it from around 50 yards from goal. As I said in my original post, I haven't seen him do much in the last third of the pitch as in taking on defenders or making overlapping runs. The 2nd half against Arsenal was a better example where we had loads of possession but he didn't demonstrate any willingness to get beyond the midfielder or around the back. It is early days and he may have this capacity, my word of caution is that we don't pay Levy loads until we know that he has some of those skills in his tank. 

Getting battered and getting up isn't a test of strength or physicality - more a demonstration of bravery. Getting outjumped by David Silva was more my concern and he did come with a reputation as lacking in this area. He certainly doesn't possess an imposing size.

My main point, is that we need more evidence of his abilities before letting Levy take our cash. I've seen plenty of players who have flattered to deceive in their first few games only for their (sizable) flaws to be exposed later on.  Because of the Hojberg connection we may be more willing to do a deal with Levy, but we need to make sure before we make a big commitment - there may be better options out there. 

Reading on here today and we've now got a team of world beaters.

KWP has been a step up on Valery's showing this season but thats's as far as it goes for me. I'd have strong reservations about signing him permanently. As someone else referred to earlier he scuffed a few clearances including the one where City hit the post. 

Far from convinced, and whatever Levy thinks he's worth will be too much.

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Reading on here today and we've now got a team of world beaters.

KWP has been a step up on Valery's showing this season but thats's as far as it goes for me. I'd have strong reservations about signing him permanently. As someone else referred to earlier he scuffed a few clearances including the one where City hit the post. 

Far from convinced, and whatever Levy thinks he's worth will be too much.

Agreed. Seems like a good bloke and did a good job against City but Valery has made him look better than he is. 

If we can get him signed quickly and fairly cheaply then I’m ok with it but you know it won’t work like that and we should be looking elsewhere as well.

RB, CB and LB (unless Vokins is considered good enough) have to be our priorities.

4 hours ago, benjii said:

Agreed. Seems like a good bloke and did a good job against City but Valery has made him look better than he is. 

If we can get him signed quickly and fairly cheaply then I’m ok with it but you know it won’t work like that and we should be looking elsewhere as well.

RB, CB and LB (unless Vokins is considered good enough) have to be our priorities.

You're probably right.  I'd be a little worried about his size as well- he did get out jumped by David Silva 😅.

Generally he was great vs City and I'd be pleased if we signed him for a good price but we shouldn't break the bank.

2 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Agreed. He reminds me of a young David Peach - pre-perm.

Now there was a player. At one stage he was the highest scoring full-back in the history of the Football League. He must be nearly 70 now. When I was a nipper, I played the same position and tried to model myself on him (obviously with less successful results)

Also, one of only 2 players to play in 2 cup finals for Saints.

2 hours ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

You're probably right.  I'd be a little worried about his size as well- he did get out jumped by David Silva 😅.

Generally he was great vs City and I'd be pleased if we signed him for a good price but we shouldn't break the bank.

Twice I think.

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Now there was a player. At one stage he was the highest scoring full-back in the history of the Football League. He must be nearly 70 now. When I was a nipper, I played the same position and tried to model myself on him (obviously with less successful results)

Also, one of only 2 players to play in 2 cup finals for Saints.

One of my early favourites when I started going to the Dell, thought to be a little lightweight at first but turned into a great left back who should have got the promised full England cap, the other double cup final player, Nicky Holmes, not bad either! You're right, both would be pensioners now. 

My old man had been a left back at a good standard and I played at centre half as a school kid but used to take penalties, he rated Peachy very highly and told me to watch him closely.  A neighbour gave me a bundle of football coaching manuals (one a month to go into a binder, that type of thing) and I clearly remember one featured Alan Ball on short passing and Dave Peach on penalty kicks - Saints were still in the second division at the time so the national exposure seemed very exciting.  I spent hours on Riverside Park and the Common perfecting the Peach penalty style - it worked a good few times.  Of course on the other side in 1979 against Forest, your man Golac - another terrific signing for very little money.   

2 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

One of my early favourites when I started going to the Dell, thought to be a little lightweight at first but turned into a great left back who should have got the promised full England cap, the other double cup final player, Nicky Holmes, not bad either! You're right, both would be pensioners now. 

My old man had been a left back at a good standard and I played at centre half as a school kid but used to take penalties, he rated Peachy very highly and told me to watch him closely.  A neighbour gave me a bundle of football coaching manuals (one a month to go into a binder, that type of thing) and I clearly remember one featured Alan Ball on short passing and Dave Peach on penalty kicks - Saints were still in the second division at the time so the national exposure seemed very exciting.  I spent hours on Riverside Park and the Common perfecting the Peach penalty style - it worked a good few times.  Of course on the other side in 1979 against Forest, your man Golac - another terrific signing for very little money.   

Sounds like you and me had very similar upbringings. I reckon I had the exact same coaching binders!  Great memories. Yes, Ivan was a beast. Wonder what he would be worth in his prime in today's market!

• Like 1

Man of the match vs city imo.solid game broke up loads of attacks and was hard to pass. Also put in some great covering tackles in the box. And even a lovely ball to ings..

looked next level after watching valery and to a lesser extent cedric

looks a player hope we sign him 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

and Dave Peach on penalty kicks -  Of course on the other side in 1979 against Forest, your man Golac - another terrific signing for very little money.   

3 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Sounds like you and me had very similar upbringings. I reckon I had the exact same coaching binders!  Great memories. Yes, Ivan was a beast. Wonder what he would be worth in his prime in today's market!

Two of my favourite full backs ever to play for Saints, plus Mark Dennis.

Very few since have come close to matching them, Golac would certainly be my first choice RB in an all time Saints team since I've been going. That though is based on watching him at The Dell as I think he went 'missing' from time to time away from home. 

• Like 2

On 06/07/2020 at 09:09, Saint Garrett said:

Reminds me of when we had Clyne.  Still a bit raw, but more than good enough to play for us, and would be a position that we need to improve sorted.

I hope we sign him.

Wasn't Clyne already an England U21 international on joining us ? He'd certainly had a season or so under his belt with Palace before he arrived.

14 hours ago, Badger said:

Two of my favourite full backs ever to play for Saints, plus Mark Dennis.

Very few since have come close to matching them, Golac would certainly be my first choice RB in an all time Saints team since I've been going. That though is based on watching him at The Dell as I think he went 'missing' from time to time away from home. 

Yes, Golac and Dennis were superb, both played their best football at Saints - great combative defenders, able to create, and hard as nails - the latter reputation being what cost MD the deserved England call up.

Looks decent going forward and can go past players. I think his positioning needs a bit of work and obviously height will always be an issue but if we can get him for around £10-£12 million then it's a no brainer for me. 

39 minutes ago, trousers said:

Please someone ITK tell me that we've got a guaranteed option to buy rather than the ball of decision being in Tottenham's court...?

I’m guessing, but I would say Levy is far too canny to have a price agreed.

I'm not totally convinced by him: he's decent: he's better than Valery for sure, but how many times does he beat his man and put in a telling cross?

Once today I think. 

He doesn't seem to want to commit and overlap, or beat the last man. Looks like he can (the one time I recall from today he did it with ease), but he needs to do it more.

He is excellent on the ball, much better than I expected he would be. Seems to have a great first touch and control that means he plays well in tight areas.

On the evidence so far it would be good to keep him, but I fear the only way will be a straight swap for PEH otherwise Spurs will price him out of a move.

He will be a starter for someone in the PL next season though, and Levy personally rates him so he may feel he can outlast Mourinho at Spurs.

Starting to win me over each passing game, hopefully not a player just trying to win a contract to then go off the boil.

As someone said..defensive positioning needs work but that should come over time.

Grab him for under 14m and will be decent enough.

10 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Looks decent going forward and can go past players. I think his positioning needs a bit of work and obviously height will always be an issue but if we can get him for around £10-£12 million then it's a no brainer for me. 

Wasn't Zeefuik meant to be c £4m ? He does seem to have a bit more strength,aggression and speed to his game than KWP.

Dusic also raises an interesting point re spurs and how long Levy will back Mourinho's judgement so don't think this deal is a foregone conclusion.

48 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

True. Spurs fan in the office says Levy doesn't suffer fools gladly, and that Mourinho is acting like a fool. He thinks JM may be released at the end of the season. Spurs may put a lock on outgoings until a potential new manager has assessed the squad.

I can't believe that Levy wouldn't have inserted performance clauses in Mourinho's contract, given his abysmal recent record. Sacking him otherwise would cost a fortune. Mind you, what was Levy thinking in appointing him in the first place?

If his contract permits financially, Jose will not be at Spurs next season.

I don't know anybody, whether a neutral or a Spurs fan who thought he was a good appointment. Given Levy's reputation as a hard headed business man you would have thought there would be performance clauses, but certainly given the debts for building the ground financial considerations must weigh heavily. Perhaps they'll sell Kane.. 😉

• Lighthouse changed the title to Kyle Walker-Peters