Che Adams

TopGun

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

I’d compare him to a modern day Emily Heskey. His strengths come In getting the best out of a striking partner, rather than having great ability himself. 

In a 2, he should be starting without a doubt based on our options, if / when we revert back to a lone striker, it has to be broja. 

Getting the best out of your strike partner is a great ability...

• Like 1

Just now, TWar said:

Getting the best out of your strike partner is a great ability...

Agreed, which why playing with someone of broja’s quality he is fine. Partnered with someone like Armstrong, where we’d need him to be more clinical, I’d worry. 

The impact Broja has had on us is vastly underrated. His pace to run I behind and directness on the ball causes so much space in that gap between the midfield and strikers. It’s no surprise to me, Elyounssi and Adams (and us as a whole) have both looked drastically better since he’s had a consistent run of games. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

To the tune of Run to You by Bryan Adams

hes gonna run at you

hes gonna run at you

cause when the goals in sight, Adam’s will run all night

hes gonna run at you 

Got this mixed up with the Whitney Houston Run To You, was a bit bemused singing it in my head.

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Agreed, which why playing with someone of broja’s quality he is fine. Partnered with someone like Armstrong, where we’d need him to be more clinical, I’d worry. 

The impact Broja has had on us is vastly underrated. His pace to run I behind and directness on the ball causes so much space in that gap between the midfield and strikers. It’s no surprise to me, Elyounssi and Adams (and us as a whole) have both looked drastically better since he’s had a consistent run of games. 

He did well with Ings too, who now looks lost at Villa. Maybe the role of the support striker is being drastically underrated...

Armstrong is a fine player. He showed he can do well in the championship and needs a bit of confidence in this league and a run of games, just like Adams did.

Adams should be proof that having a tricky first season in the prem (playing on the wing for newcastle as a teenager for like 3 games not withstanding) is not a good reason to write a lad off.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

He did well with Ings too, who now looks lost at Villa. Maybe the role of the support striker is being drastically underrated...

Armstrong is a fine player. He showed he can do well in the championship and needs a bit of confidence in this league and a run of games, just like Adams did.

Adams should be proof that having a tricky first season in the prem (playing on the wing for newcastle as a teenager for like 3 games not withstanding) is not a good reason to write a lad off.

Adam Armstrong is never going to be a success here or anywhere in the Prem, simply not good enough for this standard and certainly never going to be a player to help push for top half

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Got this mixed up with the Whitney Houston Run To You, was a bit bemused singing it in my head.

Haha, yeah that won’t work. But think this could sound good on terraces when sung on repeat

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Adam Armstrong is never going to be a success here or anywhere in the Prem, simply not good enough for this standard and certainly never going to be a player to help push for top half

I tend to agree with this to be honest, whilst Adams was never much cop in front of goal, still arguably isn’t (nice finish yesterday though, that being said), he was fairly effective with his hold up play and playing as a target man. 

Ive not seen anything from Armstrong to suggest he’s got the brain to play at this level, most of his shots are blocked because he’s not quick enough to get them away. 

Anyway; let’s hope he somehow finds it from somewhere. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

I tend to agree with this to be honest, whilst Adams was never much cop in front of goal, still arguably isn’t (nice finish yesterday though, that being said), he was fairly effective with his hold up play and playing as a target man. 

Ive not seen anything from Armstrong to suggest he’s got the brain to play at this level, most of his shots are blocked because he’s not quick enough to get them away. 

Anyway; let’s hope he somehow finds it from somewhere. 

To be fair people said exactly that about Adams in his first season. His shots were generally smashed as hard as they can be and got blocked or saved. He’s grow considerably this season yesterdays finish was lovely. I have doubts about Armstrong but he needs more time, he’s hardly played of late but too early to write him off just yet 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

Che is a very good Premier League forward. He'll miss some chances but show me a striker who doesn't. For the money we paid for him he's been a great signing and continues to improve. Ideal foil for Broja - these two are tough to defend against for any opponents. Che is a very good fit for the way we play the game. I had high hopes of Adam Armstrong - maybe he'll need time like Che but his style is totally different. He came as a single minded striker who is looking to shoot at every opportunity which can work in the Championship but you need more sophistication in the Premier League. For me he needs to slow his game down a bit instead of trying to do everything at 100mph and making errors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Ings may be lost at Villa, but there's no denying when he was fit he was brilliant for us. A top forward is worth his weight in gold, and positively impacts the team from front to back. Even Long looked good when playing with Mane. If we lose Broja in the summer (sadly most likely) then a quality front man must be a priority. Unfortunately, as we all know, an affordable one is as rare as hens teeth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I’m prepared to cut him some slack. Let’s not overlook how much players improve once they receive the benefit of our coaching system.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Ings may be lost at Villa, but there's no denying when he was fit he was brilliant for us. A top forward is worth his weight in gold, and positively impacts the team from front to back. Even Long looked good when playing with Mane. If we lose Broja in the summer (sadly most likely) then a quality front man must be a priority. Unfortunately, as we all know, an affordable one is as rare as hens teeth.

Clearly we'll not be able to afford the finished product so I hope we are checking out all the up and coming young strikers and can sign one who will give us what we need. Probably impossible to unearth another Broja but maybe we can get a player in the same style, big, strong and quick - it's a tall order.

18 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I’m prepared to cut him some slack. Let’s not overlook how much players improve once they receive the benefit of our coaching system.

Agree, Adams was generally labelled as not good enough but has improved considerably, having had spells of bench sitting himself. AA has good touch and shields the ball well, he will progress in time, I don't think we've got another Carillo on our hands here. The lad needs good coaching and patience.

• Like 3

Che was what? 22 when he signed. Still a promising talent and deserved time.

Armstrong is already 25 and should be far further along in his ability than he is if you think he’s going to be a success here. If he’s not sold this summer it won’t be long before he’s sent on loan to a championship club which is his level.

let’s also not forget that Armstrong has benefited from being a child coming through the Newcastle academy vs Che who had to use non league football to build his career 

Edited by Tommy

2 hours ago, Dman said:

I wouldn't put the improvements in some of our players down to Broja's presence at all. It is partly luck, partly perseverance and better game management and Ralph has found at last an XI that gels well together. We've become a side that is not only hard to beat but can be relied on to score goals. Broja is a good striker but quite selfish and blinkered in possession and has squandered as many chances as he has scored goals by simply not making critical passes to team mates inside the box.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Clearly we'll not be able to afford the finished product so I hope we are checking out all the up and coming young strikers and can sign one who will give us what we need. Probably impossible to unearth another Broja but maybe we can get a player in the same style, big, strong and quick - it's a tall order.

If Burnley go down maybe Weghorst is worth a shout? A goal in every other game for Wolfsburg, big and strong with an eye for goal. Not young (29) but maybe worth a good 3 or 4 years.

• Like 2

Saturdays goal was his 6th of the season in the league, drawing him level with Broja, also would really be 7 as our goal at home to United was down to him. Going under the radar a bit in what feels a bit of a stop/start season for him. He’s on track for back to back double figure seasons, which for a club of our size is very respectable. Remember Lambert got 13 and 15, whilst Pelle got 11 and 12 in their Premier League seasons. I’d also argue Che’s role is much more sacrificial than those two, he’s often the support for a partner, and he’s playing in a less able team. He’s become a very good signing.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

If Burnley go down maybe Weghorst is worth a shout? A goal in every other game for Wolfsburg, big and strong with an eye for goal. Not young (29) but maybe worth a good 3 or 4 years.

I saw online that he was watched by a load of clubs but he isn’t vaccinated so not many would take a punt on him. 

I wonder if that landscape would change in 6 months or so? Certainly looks a decent player. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Saturdays goal was his 6th of the season in the league, drawing him level with Broja, also would really be 7 as our goal at home to United was down to him. Going under the radar a bit in what feels a bit of a stop/start season for him. He’s on track for back to back double figure seasons, which for a club of our size is very respectable. Remember Lambert got 13 and 15, whilst Pelle got 11 and 12 in their Premier League seasons. I’d also argue Che’s role is much more sacrificial than those two, he’s often the support for a partner, and he’s playing in a less able team. He’s become a very good signing.

Interesting, didn't appreciate he'd scored as many as Broja who we are all raving about. Has Che played more games? I'm guessing so. Adams does go under the radar and I think he's a better footballer than many give him credit for. He should get to double figures this season at this rate.

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Interesting, didn't appreciate he'd scored as many as Broja who we are all raving about. Has Che played more games? I'm guessing so. Adams does go under the radar and I think he's a better footballer than many give him credit for. He should get to double figures this season at this rate.

Che has 6 goals (sort of 7) in 18 appearances, 4 of which came off the bench. Broja has 6 goals in 20 appearances, 8 of which came off the bench. So they’re pretty even in terms of goals per game.

Just now, saintwbu said:

Che has 6 goals (sort of 7) in 18 appearances, 4 of which came off the bench. Broja has 6 goals in 20 appearances, 8 of which came off the bench. So they’re pretty even in terms of goals per game.

Thanks, maybe we should be raving about Che a bit more 🙂

• Like 4

Easily overlooked because of Broja but Adams is developing really well and is a miles better player than when we first signed him.

Good instinctive finisher (still misses too many more straightforward ones), works really hard and is nearly always available.

If we paid 15m, he must be worth £25m now.

Hopefully he gets the new contract he has earned.

• Like 3

He's... fine. Don't rate him as a finisher (two misses in the six yard box last couple of games) but he holds the ball up well and often picks a pretty good pass. Obviously streets ahead of A Armstrong who looks like a player from another era, but I don't think it would be hard to upgrade on Che if we're valuing him at £25m.

• Confused 2

He's a good striker for where we are in the league and he's in good form. He's a hard working, unselfish player that leads the line well, has a bit of pace and definitely has an eye for a good pass. The downside is his finishing and perhaps consistency but if he was a 20 goal striker he wouldn't be with us very long. He's definitely improved since being picked for Scotland, similar to how Brereton Diaz seems to have improved at Blackburn having been picked for Chile.

He's worth the money we paid for him, in the summer where a few Championship strikers were pilfered by the Premier League. (Maupay, McBurnie, Sessegnon, James, JRod, Ayew) and was overshadowed at the time by the signing of Ings. Let's hope Armstrong can come good in time.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

He's a good striker for where we are in the league and he's in good form. He's a hard working, unselfish player that leads the line well, has a bit of pace and definitely has an eye for a good pass. The downside is his finishing and perhaps consistency but if he was a 20 goal striker he wouldn't be with us very long. He's definitely improved since being picked for Scotland, similar to how Brereton Diaz seems to have improved at Blackburn having been picked for Chile.

He's worth the money we paid for him, in the summer where a few Championship strikers were pilfered by the Premier League. (Maupay, McBurnie, Sessegnon, James, JRod, Ayew) and was overshadowed at the time by the signing of Ings. Let's hope Armstrong can come good in time.

Armstrong is fucking shit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

He's... fine. Don't rate him as a finisher (two misses in the six yard box last couple of games) but he holds the ball up well and often picks a pretty good pass. Obviously streets ahead of A Armstrong who looks like a player from another era, but I don't think it would be hard to upgrade on Che if we're valuing him at £25m.

Who are you suggesting out of interest?

43 minutes ago, Yozzman said:

Who are you suggesting out of interest?

No one specific. But I'm not a football scout, so that's fine.

Emmanuel Dennis only cost Watford £4m last summer, so there are better players than Che going for less money if you know where to look.

Edited by verlaine1979

I like Che but he has to be the most one-footed player I've ever seen. I'm not sure if I've ever seen him use his left foot. 

This may be a by-product of not coming through an academy where coaching staff would have worked on it. 

I just think if he could use his left foot there would be a few more goals. For example, on Saturday JWP floated a lovely ball in that was begging to be volleyed with his left but he had to take it with the outside of his right which meant he had to adjust his body shape and couldn't get any power on it and Pickford easily gobbled it up. 

100% that ball was easier to take on his right root

14 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

I like Che but he has to be the most one-footed player I've ever seen. I'm not sure if I've ever seen him use his left foot. 

This may be a by-product of not coming through an academy where coaching staff would have worked on it. 

I just think if he could use his left foot there would be a few more goals. For example, on Saturday JWP floated a lovely ball in that was begging to be volleyed with his left but he had to take it with the outside of his right which meant he had to adjust his body shape and couldn't get any power on it and Pickford easily gobbled 

Taking that chance on his right foot was 100% the right thing to do.a very high percentage of players would of done exactly that 

• Confused 1

Back to the same Che argument which seemingly comes up every season. Hes currently our second best striker- obviously not as good a finisher as Broja but has great hold up play and is less selfish. The same situation as it has been the last few seasons when Ings was here. 

Outside of the top 6, you'll struggle to find a better 'second best' striker across the remaining teams than Che. 7 goals so far and on track for his best goal return in a season (9 goals last year but played more regularly).

Delighted hes with us and not sure what some of our fans expect - both strikers hitting 15-20 goals a season? Well they wouldnt be with us if that was the case

• Like 6

12 hours ago, jimmysaint7 said:

100% that ball was easier to take on his right root

Taking that chance on his right foot was 100% the right thing to do.a very high percentage of players would of done exactly that 

Will have to disagree with that one. If he had a left foot that would have been in the back of the net. 

• Like 1

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

There he is again. Offering alot more than Broja has done the last few games

Broja has gone off the boil a bit. We should put a bid in quick before his form picks back up!

Actually thought Che struggled a bit too today to get involved but he took one chance very well and that's all that really matters!

6 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

I think he's agreeing with you but accidentally typed right and he meant left. Surely? How he didn't hit that with his left was criminal.

Most footballers would of tried flicking that with there right foot,far easier moving forward with his body at the shape it was to try and help it on rather than try wrapping his left foot around the ball.

Im not sure we need to slag off one striker to appreciate the other, both are gelling brilliantly with each other and fit the system well

Ive always rated Che, he is a classic ‘confidence’ player (that is so often the case with strikers) but when ‘off’ form still offers work rate, hold up play and is an overall nuisance to opposition defences

A fine finish today after a bit of a mix up with his feet

Im not overly concerned at the goalscoring role reversal of our strikers atm, this happens in strike partnerships, as a pair they’re scoring, thats all that matters

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im not sure we need to slag off one striker to appreciate the other, both are gelling brilliantly with each other and fit the system well

Ive always rated Che, he is a classic ‘confidence’ player (that is so often the case with strikers) but when ‘off’ form still offers work rate, hold up play and is an overall nuisance to opposition defences

A fine finish today after a bit of a mix up with his feet

Im not overly concerned at the goalscoring role reversal of our strikers atm, this happens in strike partnerships, as a pair they’re scoring, thats all that matters

Agree, some are too quick to criticise the pair but week in week out they are a real handful for whoever they come up against. Sure, Broja has played better games than today but he's still just a kid with little experience and still gave Norwich plenty to think about. Opponents will be getting wise to how good a pair the two of them are and paying them extra attention which often means others get more space.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Che Adams