Che Adams

TopGun

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, that's pretty much it and ,yes,  I watched the film as well.

If we started buying ancient over the hill players, or journeymen, or players that might be good at one particular thing and nowt else for next to nothing and then had formations and styles of play that emphasised those strengths and tried as far as possible to negate the weaknesses then that's moneyball.  You use the statistical analysis to identify those players that are being overlooked and find the hidden value.  You can argue that buying younger players whilst they're cheap and then flogging them later once they've had developed is a form of moneyball I guess but it's not quite the same thing.  If we went full on moneyball then I'd expect the forum to explode every time we signed a player.

To be honest, I don't think it's something that really translates to football that well.  Baseball roles are far more easily defined and the actions are limited.  Football has too many variables and positions. 

They seem to add stats all the time, but yet to see things like: full back got his distances right, so attacker didn't attempt to take him on. Or. First touch was spot on, enabling player to take advantage of the space he had rather than have to take lessor option...etc.

7 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I've always found it bizarre.  Since the wonder goal against Man City, Che has been consistantly good but Ralph often drops him.  I'm sure there was a point last season that Che scored 3 games in a row and then Ralph benched him.  Must be something Ralph doesn't like.

Didn't happen.

He was dropped after the Chelsea debacle, which was on the back of four or five games when we were offered little threat.

He came back two games later, played two then was dropped to the bench for last three, with Ralph seemingly having lost faith in all our strikers, rightly or wrongly.

28 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

If he has 2 years left on his contract sell him next year.

Allowing players to wind down contracts is financial suicide.

You don't want that extra £10m to spend on the replacement? 

29 minutes ago, Chez said:

Allowing players to wind down contracts is financial suicide.

You don't want that extra £10m to spend on the replacement? 

Next year his replacement could be our #1 priority and we could use a much larger proportion of our budget on ensuring we got a quality replacement. In the meantime we at least get a known level of performance and goals this season.

• Like 1

Only just caught up with this. Honestly feels insane to me.

But hey, let's get the sale through quick as you like and then get on with the "well, we couldn't quite get the deal over the line" routine with the replacements. Just like old times.

Make sure you get the sale done  though Saints. Don't let other clubs ever suffer what we have to.

• Like 2

Unless we’ve got 2 new strikers coming in selling Adams when the season has already started is just plain fucking strange.

Maybe Che has fallen out of favour personally for something behind the scenes. Maybe he told Ralph how clueless he is.

• Haha 1

Wonder what the hold up is with the other striker ?

Club trying to replace him before announcing ?

In a European qualifying game that needs to end before announcing?

I can't believe we are waiting for a striker to hope a better club comes in before we sign them, doesn't exactly show the commitment we want.

16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

There's no way we should be letting Che go anywhere unless we have a top class proven goal scorer coming on board & 15 million is cheap! https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-united/che-adams-southampton-sale-planned-price-revealed-prem-suitors-soar-past-leeds-race

Bit old that.

Edited by Toadhall Saint

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

15m! Crazy if he was sold for that amount. I reckon if we tried to buy a similar striker from say Palace they would want 30m+.

didn't they just let Benteke go for nothing, despite him having 12 months left on his contract?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Wonder what the hold up is with the other striker ?

Club trying to replace him before announcing ?

In a European qualifying game that needs to end before announcing?

I can't believe we are waiting for a striker to hope a better club comes in before we sign them, doesn't exactly show the commitment we want.

better to go for a striker that is weighing his options rather than a striker that only has one option, us.  If no one else is interested, the question has to  be `why'? 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I doubt there are any takers for Adam Armstrong though, that's the prob. 

TBH he's a body up front who may, if he improves, chip in with five or six goals. Some people would have been content to see Shane Long given a new deal on the back of scoring one goal a season, so that can only be seen as a step forward of sorts.

• Like 1

We needed an additional striker anyway so to sell Che, our best by some distance, seems like utter lunacy. If we sell him to Everton, a relegation rival, then it’s up there with selling Fonte before League Cup final/spunking our transfer record on Carrillo in terms of transfer follies. 

19 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

TBH he's a body up front who may, if he improves, chip in with five or six goals. Some people would have been content to see Shane Long given a new deal on the back of scoring one goal a season, so that can only be seen as a step forward of sorts.

Not sure there were many Saints fans happy to see Long get a new deal. There were some that thought he might get one, I was one of those, but I was certainly not `content'. 

It's obvious that Adams (probably through his agent) is very keen for a move, preferably to Everton, failing that the Midlands/North and is happy to stir things up as much as he needs to to get his way.

I agree he's the best forward on our  books and he should have played more at the back end of last season but which came first, his desire for a move or Ralph underusing him?

I think the two goals today show why we need to keep hold of Adams.

First goal he plays a lovely one two with Armstrong and the second one is a world class first touch which allows him to bring Mara into the game. 

We know he won't score tons of goals but he will get a fair amount whilst doing a lot of work that sometimes goes unnoticed. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

I think the two goals today show why we need to keep hold of Adams.

First goal he plays a lovely one two with Armstrong and the second one is a world class first touch which allows him to bring Mara into the game. 

We know he won't score tons of goals but he will get a fair amount whilst doing a lot of work that sometimes goes unnoticed. 

That's been obvious for a while, our strikers work better together rather than being lumped up top on their own devoid of any service.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Che is perfect striker if you want someone to hold the ball, battle and lay off to runners - if he could score then he'd be playing for City

That's exactly it, but the prob is they look hopeless when they've got no runners to lay off to (hence the first half struggles). I think Stu Armstrong was the only one trying to break the line in the first half. I'm not sure what Elyounoussi thought he was trying to do.

We do need a proper focal centre forward, that will stop us having to shoehorn Adams and Armstrong into these loan striker roles.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's exactly it, but the prob is they look hopeless when they've got no runners to lay off to (hence the first half struggles). I think Stu Armstrong was the only one trying to break the line in the first half. I'm not sure what Elyounoussi thought he was trying to do.

We do need a proper focal centre forward, that will stop us having to shoehorn Adams and Armstrong into these loan striker roles.

We don't have to shoehorn them into these lone striker roles, Ralph chooses to do that despite the fact that it doesn't work and just makes them look bad players.

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't get me started on Elyounoussi. He's just a bit of a pointless player at this level. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

“Adams, the Scotland international, is high on Lampard’s list of potential signings but Everton’s finances remain a serious threat to hopes of making more additions.“

They just signed Onana for £33.5m.

...and it’s looking likely they’re going to get more money from Chelsea for Gordon.

FFP though isn't it, They sell a player for big money, especially someone like Gordon who had no transfer fee, they sell him and it's all profit, They only have to take a % of the new players transfer fee this year. I'm not really sure where they are from a cash perspective, but despite them being a bit of a mess financially, I think this is why you're still seeing them throw money around, hasn't been any bids for Che supposedly though.  He wants a new contract, and club aren't discussing contracts until end of transfer window.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

FFP though isn't it, They sell a player for big money, especially someone like Gordon who had no transfer fee, they sell him and it's all profit, They only have to take a % of the new players transfer fee this year. I'm not really sure where they are from a cash perspective, but despite them being a bit of a mess financially, I think this is why you're still seeing them throw money around, hasn't been any bids for Che supposedly though.  He wants a new contract, and club aren't discussing contracts until end of transfer window.

if he spent more time thinking about scoring more goals then of getting a new contract then I think Saints might be more prepared to offer him one

On 15/08/2022 at 15:09, richardc said:

if he spent more time thinking about scoring more goals then of getting a new contract then I think Saints might be more prepared to offer him one

Id say he deserves it

Che changed the game today, he is more than a goalscorer, he is an effective outlet and good foil for his striker partner and wide men, today he added goals too and really should of had a hattrick

Brilliant performance that added what we needed to maintain possession where we needed it

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Che Adams