Che Adams

TopGun

On 22/09/2022 at 23:54, Wurzel said:

You're marked and isolated on your own, a long ball is pumped up to you. You have one option, to head/chest the ball in a controlled manner in the one direction and distance that ensures you also get the next  touch. Piece of piss for the defender who knows exactly what you will do. He doesn't even need to win the header, just do enough to stop you doing what you need to do ( a little nudge or hold down, not enough to give away a free kick is often enough) and he or a defensive colleague win the ball back.

You're marked but have one or more colleagues within 10 yards alongside you, a long ball is pumped up to you. You have options, head it sideways to him, flick it on for his run, control it yourself. Defender has no idea what you will try and can't make a decision without waiting for your move (or run risk of a free kick by going straight through you regardless), straight away you have much better chance of winning the header .

Hardly rocket science is it?

Incredible. So you're saying that if Elyounoussi had been standing a few yards closer, Adams wouldn't have looked like a small child jumping next to Tyrone Mings?

• 4 weeks later...

Another false dawn I'm guessing. He's been in the pocket of too many CBs recently for me to assume that bullying a Championship defense shows anything other than his proper level.

Though confining comments solely to the game, he was our best player by a mile tonight and caused them a lot of trouble.

6 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Excellent tonight.

Anyone know the reason for the heated debate between him and Djneppo at full time though?

Adams had a huge strop when Djneppo didn't square it to him at the end of the game and took a shot himself, so guessing it was about that.

It Was a brilliant performance from Che yesterday.  If he plays like that he'll easily clear 10 goals this season.  More please!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Adams had a huge strop when Djneppo didn't square it to him at the end of the game and took a shot himself, so guessing it was about that.

It Was a brilliant performance from Che yesterday.  If he plays like that he'll easily clear 10 goals this season.  More please!

5 in 11 games so far this season! he should be aiming for 15-20.

Edited by Turkish

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

5 in 11 games so far this season! he should be aiming for 15-20.

Why MLG is confused that a striker who is averaging almost a goal every other game at the moment shouldn't be aiming for 15 minimum is beyond me   :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just not premier league standard.  From 26 shots, only 10 are on target with 3 goals.  7 "Big chances missed" is more than anyone in the premier league.  While I'm not saying Ralph has been great, this has to be a big contribution to our current predicament!  Even Perraud and S Armstrong have more goals per minute played!

5 minutes ago, darren2 said:

Just not premier league standard.  From 26 shots, only 10 are on target with 3 goals.  7 "Big chances missed" is more than anyone in the premier league.  While I'm not saying Ralph has been great, this has to be a big contribution to our current predicament!  Even Perraud and S Armstrong have more goals per minute played!

I don't think that's fair. I think we're trying to talk up Adams up into someone he has never been.

You will never get many goals from Adams, but you do get physicality and some really good old up play for this level. Partnered with a better player he is a very useful PL forward without question. We've just hung him out to dry a little bit by expecting him to be our source of goals when he never was and never will be. 

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

Doesn't have the instinct of a natural goal scorer and never did. The club knows this and failed to do anything about it in the summer. A factor in the current predicament but not the only one.

This seems so obvious, but the club seem to be so unaware. He plays well as part of a 2, has done for Scotland and for us with Ings/Long/Broja. Why do we keep putting him in isolated positions, when that doesn't suit his game.

I have no clue what work has been done with him since he arrived, or anyone else for that matter. We lack a moving presence in the goal area. Neither Adams or Armstrong make speculative runs into the goal area, often standing flatfooted waiting for something to break. Every time a ball is likely to arrive in the goalmouth they have to make a run towards the goal line/near post, Every time. Patently we have too many players playing off the cuff all with major positional failures e.g. KWP and Perrault rarely goal side on opponents breaks. Perrault yesterday behind the break for at least two goals against. A lot of coaching is needed. I don't think they are getting much if any. I wouldn't mind betting that every Guardiola player gets shown in great detail how to play until it's second nature.

Adams uses one technique shoot hard and low. The opponents know this and goalkeepers are ready to block. Why isn't he feinting to shoot and committing the goalkeeper, ditto and dinking the ball, sometimes hit the ball higher. There is no variation which leads me to think there is no direction from coaches.

• 1 month later...

8 goals in 16 so far this season for the Brummie Benzema.

only needs one more goal to equal what Broja scored in 38. Level with his own haul of 8 last season and only one off his high of 9 with us in 42 games in 20/21 season. He really is turning into a top class striker 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

only needs one more goal to equal what Broja scored in 38. Level with his own haul of 8 last season and only one off his high of 9 with us in 42 games in 20/21 season. He really is turning into a top class striker 

He'll end the season on 18 goals and confuse the hell out of everyone. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

Makes you wonder what he could do with decent striker alongside him, a team mate able to take the pressure off. Like Adams but he is a confidence player in a side with fuck all confidence! 

2 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Makes you wonder what he could do with decent striker alongside him, a team mate able to take the pressure off. Like Adams but he is a confidence player in a side with fuck all confidence! 

If I remember rightly (which isn't much of a guarantee I know) he "assisted" in a few of Danny Ings' goals. I do remember a couple of delightful through balls to Ings completely wrong footing the defence and Ings duly slotted them away. (Can't remember who each one was against). If we can get someone similar alongside him I think it could pay dividends. Everyone seems to agree, his strength and hold-up play is very good, it's just the finishing. 

Agree with everything above - I actually think his all round game seems to have gone up a level this season, but the glaring misses will stand out more than ever because no one else is picking up the slack. Another player being able to score a few would take the pressure off Che massively and make the most of some of his great build up play.

18 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Agree with everything above - I actually think his all round game seems to have gone up a level this season, but the glaring misses will stand out more than ever because no one else is picking up the slack. Another player being able to score a few would take the pressure off Che massively and make the most of some of his great build up play.

That's exactly it, Che is a good player to have in any team. We got the best out of him when he had Ings hitting the goals, he did a lot of the unselfish work to make that possible and also chipped in with his own few. But he's not and never will be your potential '20 goal a season' man, he just doesn't have that skillset, I find it shocking that the club have hung him out like that.

His partner these days is Adam Armstrong who I don't know how to describe, just a non-entity of a footballer who is out of his depth.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

He's definitely hit a few good through balls in his time here. But aside from that freak game against Chelsea, his hold up play this season hasn't been great. If the ball isn't right for him to control it on his chest, he's not winning it any other way. And his finishing is dire.

Pointless, but I do wish we weren't a club reduced to strategizing how to get the best out of Che Adams.

4 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

If I remember rightly (which isn't much of a guarantee I know) he "assisted" in a few of Danny Ings' goals. I do remember a couple of delightful through balls to Ings completely wrong footing the defence and Ings duly slotted them away. (Can't remember who each one was against). If we can get someone similar alongside him I think it could pay dividends. Everyone seems to agree, his strength and hold-up play is very good, it's just the finishing. 

Yep, my perception as well.  We aren't likely to get another Ings but a player who wants the ball with a bit of a killer instinct would likely benefit Adams massively.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

seriously how many times is this guy going to cost us potential goals. his XG (lol) must be through the roof, he’s a large part of the reason on the playing side why we’ve been cost points. 

Not his fault whatsoever. Where would we be with AA in his place?

In case you are interested in the xG, he's only underperforming his numbers by 0.6 xG over the course of this season.

Salah is underperforming by 1.9 xG, G. Jesus by 2.7 xG, Nunez by 2.4 xG, etc.

Edited by SambaMaverick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

Not his fault whatsoever.

of course the calamity defence and lacklustre midfield are also to blame, but it can’t be denied che is heavily to blame when he misses the same easy chances every single game. a couple a season is expected but he is so poor at finishing it’s laughable. 

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

of course the calamity defence and lacklustre midfield are also to blame, but it can’t be denied che is heavily to blame when he misses the same easy chances every single game. a couple a season is expected but he is so poor at finishing it’s laughable. 

He's never been a finisher, and getting him one chance a game is just highlighting that. We need to create more chances for him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

In case you are interested in the xG, he's only underperforming his numbers by 0.6 xG over the course of this season.

Salah is underperforming by 1.9 xG, G. Jesus by 2.7 xG, Nunez by 2.4 xG, etc.

Proving once and for all what a load of old fucking pony Xg is. 

He missed one at Wolves my old mum could have knocked in with her slippers on. Missed a one on one at Fulham, Forest on Weds. These goals would have  changed games, changed the mood and confidence. He’s every bit as responsible for our position as Lyanco & Jones imo. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Proving once and for all what a load of old fucking pony Xg is. 

He missed one at Wolves my old mum could have knocked in with her slippers on. Missed a one on one at Fulham, Forest on Weds. These goals would have  changed games, changed the mood and confidence. He’s every bit as responsible for our position as Lyanco & Jones imo. 

Can't argue with the fact that he should have scored all of those chances (plus one at Palace), but why are we surprised that he didn't? He's never been clinical, he's always been a second striker, and yet he's been hung out to dry.

He had been giving 110% all season up to now but didn't look at it on Wednesday, I just hope his confidence hasn't been completely eroded.

Adams is another guy who has been somewhat hung out to dry. I know people laugh about the term 'support striker', but that is what he is at this level. His running and tenacity can open the space for players who are better finishers, as we saw with Ings. 

We have put ourselves in a position where we are expecting him to be someone he never was and never will be. He needs to be supported by clinical players, as he's the sort of guy you do need to do the hard grafts and the hard running, but expecting him to be the goal scorer on a consistent basis is somewhat hanging him out to dry.

Don't get me wrong, he can and will score goals, but you'll never get enough from him alone to create a successful team.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Adams is another guy who has been somewhat hung out to dry. I know people laugh about the term 'support striker', but that is what he is at this level. His running and tenacity can open the space for players who are better finishers, as we saw with Ings. 

We have put ourselves in a position where we are expecting him to be someone he never was and never will be. He needs to be supported by clinical players, as he's the sort of guy you do need to do the hard grafts and the hard running, but expecting him to be the goal scorer on a consistent basis is somewhat hanging him out to dry.

Don't get me wrong, he can and will score goals, but you'll never get enough from him alone to create a successful team.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

He had been giving 110% all season up to now but didn't look at it on Wednesday, I just hope his confidence hasn't been completely eroded.

It was his worst performance for us by a mile imo. I thought he even hid a bit, not really wanting the ball every time, when normally he’s totally willing to receive it anywhere. His all round performance was excellent at Bournemouth, he was a million miles off that Weds. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It was his worst performance for us by a mile imo. I thought he even hid a bit, not really wanting the ball every time, when normally he’s totally willing to receive it anywhere. His all round performance was excellent at Bournemouth, he was a million miles off that Weds. 

I saw a lot of disillusioned players against Forest to be honest, they looked a bit lost. This isn't me sticking up for the players, as they have dropped their own bollocks many times, but there's just a lack of engagement from players - especially Adams, totally isolated and lost with the ball being pumped 10ft above his head all night.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I saw a lot of disillusioned players against Forest to be honest, they looked a bit lost. This isn't me sticking up for the players, as they have dropped their own bollocks many times, but there's just a lack of engagement from players - especially Adams, totally isolated and lost with the ball being pumped 10ft above his head all night.

on player engagement, I found doswells assessment interesting when he picked up ABK was looking for any opportunity to get off the pitch. 

Edited by SotonianWill

• Lighthouse changed the title to Che Adams