Che Adams

TopGun

Just now, SotonianWill said:

on this, I found doswells assessment interesting when he picked up ABK was looking for any opportunity to get off the pitch. 

Yeah I wondered that, I think it was Baird who he said had noticed that. We'll find out soon I guess, couple of bits on twitter I saw over the last few days suggested he'd done his ACL or MCL. Seemed a bit innocuous.

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

Can't argue with the fact that he should have scored all of those chances (plus one at Palace), but why are we surprised that he didn't? He's never been clinical, he's always been a second striker, and yet he's been hung out to dry.

He had been giving 110% all season up to now but didn't look at it on Wednesday, I just hope his confidence hasn't been completely eroded.

Yep. Alongside Ings he'd be more than adequate. Lyanco and Jones wouldn't be adequate alongside Baresi and Ferguson. 

Adams is an Ormerod type, Ings was our Beattie. Broja filled that gap for a bit but as soon as his form tailed off, so did ours. This year has started the same way, we need a ‘something from nothing’ striker again to take the strain off Che. 

18 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Adams is an Ormerod type, Ings was our Beattie. Broja filled that gap for a bit but as soon as his form tailed off, so did ours. This year has started the same way, we need a ‘something from nothing’ striker again to take the strain off Che. 

What’s happening with Broja? Not heard anything about him pulling up trees at CFC - is he even getting game time?

Edited by Toadhall Saint

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

What’s happening with Broja? Not heard anything about him pulling up trees at CFC - is he even getting game time?

No, because he’s injured. Fucking blokes useless, hasn’t scored since getting an ACL. Mind you, neither has Che Adams in the same time period….

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/06/2019 at 09:04, verlaine1979 said:

Doesn't look to be the cleanest striker of a ball, so I hope his other attributes compensate for the technical shortcomings.

On 29/06/2019 at 09:35, Ekelund said:

Haha brilliant, technical shortcomings ffs...

On 29/06/2019 at 10:26, verlaine1979 said:

Eh, maybe it's just a coincidence, but the number of scuffed/bobbling goals last season does suggest that he doesn't strike the ball particularly well. It's not always a big impediment to a successful striker (Inzaghi never seemed to make a great connection and it never did him any harm) and of course, his first touch and passing could be exquisite, as all I've seen are the goals.

Prophets always face persecution ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Quality Guardian journalism

"Supporters hoped the 30-year-old Orsic would help ease the scoring burden on Che Adams, one of few players to impress this season"

Now i certainly don't think Che is a terrible player but nor would i ever say he's impressed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/feb/12/nathan-jones-must-not-take-all-the-blame-for-southampton-calamity

• 2 weeks later...

He was good yesterday. He is so good at holding it up and bringing others into the game. When he’s got quicker mobile players off him he is at his best. The touch and pass for the goal yesterday was very good. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

During his spell here, he has at times shown us exactly what we need in a support striker, scored some excellent goals and helped link up the play....but he has also been as equally frustrating with his many missed chances. He should never have ended up as our best striking option after the summer window, but he never shyed away and always put in a shift.

Think he would do a good job for us in the Championship given his exploits in the league previously. If we had a choice between Che and Tall Paul staying next season then I'd definitely opt for Che

• Like 7

Yet another statement that doesn’t commit to being there next year. If he cares that much there’s one way of showing it - give us a year in the Championship to help put right the wrongs. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Comes across as one of the few that genuinely cares. 

Not against Forest he didn’t. Played like he couldn’t give a shite. Writes a humble apology and people are lapping it up. He can fuck off with the rest of them as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Not against Forest he didn’t. Played like he couldn’t give a shite. Writes a humble apology and people are lapping it up. He can fuck off with the rest of them as far as I’m concerned. 

He was injured, it was clear he wasn’t match fit but reading the article he says he tried to play when not ready which is commendable in my view.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, James said:

Yet another statement that doesn’t commit to being there next year. If he cares that much there’s one way of showing it - give us a year in the Championship to help put right the wrongs. 

Really? It reads to me as a statement of commitment to the club.

I admit that Che always puts in a shift and, unlike so many of them, he clearly cares. And perhaps with a proper striker next to him he may yet fulfil his potential. But I can't pretend I'd be gutted if he left. The number of chances he misses is maddening, somewhat undoing his strong support play.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Pony, I genuinely believe he cares. He's been carrying an injury. 

It reads to me like he could well be here next season. I recon he sees himself as a future captain, too. 

Edited by Raging Bull
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

He was injured, it was clear he wasn’t match fit but reading the article he says he tried to play when not ready which is commendable in my view.

He’s been fucking pony all season, Bournemouth away was about his only decent game. Writes a heartfelt apology and you’re lapping it up. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, James said:

Agree let’s see if he means it .. I just kinda read it as what you would say to appease the fanbase but if he does mean it and is committed fair play to him 

4 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

During his spell here, he has at times shown us exactly what we need in a support striker, scored some excellent goals and helped link up the play....but he has also been as equally frustrating with his many missed chances. He should never have ended up as our best striking option after the summer window, but he never shyed away and always put in a shift.

Think he would do a good job for us in the Championship given his exploits in the league previously. If we had a choice between Che and Tall Paul staying next season then I'd definitely opt for Che

I think the choice between him and tall pall depends also on chance creation too .. I think che gets love because he does he does get stuck in and makes some impact on games, he doesn’t really going even though his finishing is shocking . Whilst Mara and pall can kind of not get in the game at all sometimes ..

if we are playing decent football and creating a lot of chances I think the other two would be more clinical though 

10 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s been fucking pony all season, Bournemouth away was about his only decent game. Writes a heartfelt apology and you’re lapping it up. 

He was instrumental in our win at Everton. Got the flick on for the first and won the free kick for the second. Take that together with the Bompey game and he had a big part to play in a third of our wins (don’t you love how stats can be manipulated!?)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bangkoksaint said:

He was instrumental in our win at Everton. Got the flick on for the first and won the free kick for the second. Take that together with the Bompey game and he had a big part to play in a third of our wins (don’t you love how stats can be manipulated!?)

And quality when he came on at Leicester and scored twice. Clearly he’s been struggling with injuries all season, but ultimately he’s not a “goalscorer”. He’s a decent forward but can’t be relied upon for goals. 

• Like 4

Being a cynic, he might be planning on helping Saints by getting a move elsewhere and freeing up transfer and wage funds. £25-£30M to a midtable side might do it.

Personally however, I would prefer him to stay. It's not his fault that we failed to get a striker for him to partner.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Che Adams is our best forward by a country mile. Yes he's missed some glaring chances but in recent games (especially at home) we've barely created any chances to miss.

The competition is dire but I agree. The idea that he shouldn’t be one of the squad of forwards is a joke when you compare the rest and the type of player we will attract. 

• Like 1

Didn't Adams score 22 goals in his last Championship season for an ordinary Birmingham side? Proves he can do it at that level, i.e. the level we will be at next season, so it seems to make sense to keep him, he should be a better player now with the experience of the last 4 years. Trouble is if he stays and we manage to get back up what do we do with him then, knowing he's not really good enough for the PL. Could make the same argument for Armstrong (Adam)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Being a cynic, he might be planning on helping Saints by getting a move elsewhere and freeing up transfer and wage funds. £25-£30M to a midtable side might do it.

Personally however, I would prefer him to stay. It's not his fault that we failed to get a striker for him to partner.

Ings went for £25m plus add ons. He had one year left on his contract, was 28 years old and scored 41 prem goals in 91 games. Che also has a year left, is 26 and has scored 25 goals in 123 Prem games. Not sure we'll get £25-30m for him. 

I think the statement was well written. However, it doesn’t exclude him from the open goals he’s missed and the chances not taken. And I really like him.

I’d prefer him to stay but honestly wouldn’t lose sleep if he went alongside maybe twenty five other players.

He will probably go, one year left on his contract. Probably done enough to earn a Forest deal maybe and move back Birmingham way.

4 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Che Adams is our best forward by a country mile. Yes he's missed some glaring chances but in recent games (especially at home) we've barely created any chances to miss.

Agreed, but by God its a very low bar. We desperately need a main striker who can score goals, and then perhaps Che doing the 'Shane Long' donkey work and chipping in single figure goals for the season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Yes completely agree, but as above it’s a low bar. I haven’t played for ten years and I’m pretty confident I could hit the level required.

14 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

I want him gone, even if we can't find anyone better. Four seasons of watching him trundle about and hit easy chances at the keeper is enough for anyone.

Me too. He's fucking hopeless. He is also in a football sense brainless. Examples:  looking along the line two yards offside does nothing puts the ball in the net from the cross. Ruled out offside. Just needed to stay on side. One on one with the keeper runs straight at him and shoots when ten yards out hits the keeper. How many times did that happen, probably enough to save us. Did he try anything else, did he hell. Change the angle, no, Sidestep, no, go round the keeper,no, feint to shoot and square up the keeper, no, dink it over, no, pass to somebody else, no. The Wolves disallowed goal miss on the goal line, missed the header hit his hand and went in. Stand on the six yard line, on his heels, ball watches, the ball comes in across the goal, no movement so tap in chance missed, how many times did that happen. How many goals did he have disallowed for offside.

No thanks get the best price we can and unload him. Keep Tella he can do all the things Adams can't. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I don’t think you’ll find many who disagree, but that is also the reason why we’re going down. 

Everyone always said if we need to rely on his goals we’re in trouble and that has proven to be spot on.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Che Adams