Saints 3-0 Watford - Match Thread

goodymatt

The extra game that both teams would not have wanted. The prize is a trip to Anfield live on ITV in the 5th round.

Win this game and we will have a midweek game every week running to mid March. This will be a huge test on our squad.

I think Martin will ring the changes again for this. Edozie should start, sounds like Bree isn’t back in time for this game, which is a shame. Holgate is gone so one CB to stay in the team I’d expect.

I’m going 2-1 Saints in normal time.

I’m only going because I want to sing the

“ Don’t you wish you could play like David Brooks, fa fa fa fa fa fafafafafa..” song.

Result entirely secondary.

I’m just a little bit concerned about being ejected out of block 42 for upsetting those around me because it does not include anything about Pompey 😎😁

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

“ Don’t you wish you could play like David Brooks, fa fa fa fa fa fafafafafa..” song.

I’m just a little bit concerned about being ejected out of block 42 for upsetting those around me because it does not include anything about Pompey 😎😁

David could well be stood next to you singing it as well, as he is cup tied 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Is there any definitive non pompey words to this one yet @Turkish

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Is there any definitive non pompey words to this one yet @Turkish

We can do it with or without Pompey references 

wish I could play like David Brooks 

fafafafafafafafa

he is a saint and cancer free

plays on the wing and hates Pompey 

And I wish could play like David Brooks

fafafafafafafafa 

For the dopey fuckers

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Not sure what I want here.

Liked the idea of testing this style of football against a Prem team in the cup but Anfield probably isn’t the way.

Got to want a win...we have a kind fixture at the weekend, so not all bad

I reckon....

Lumley, KwP, Stephens, Bed/THB, Meghoma, Smallbone, Charles, Rothwell, Fraser, Mara, Arma/Edozie

• Like 2

I'd love to see us tested against Liverpool whatever the result so as much as I'd rather we concentrate on the League (and ergo normally a defeat here wouldn't be a bad result) the prize on offer at Anfield to watch our superstars against their journeymen is too much to put out a second string side. Sure, rest one or two of the more important players to protect them, Stu maybe, but we need to put out a strong enough team to beat Watford.

Lumley, KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Manning, Charles, Smallbone, Rothwell, Brooks, AA, Edozie could be enough to see us through.

Good Luck Russ, over to you.

9 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I'd love to see us tested against Liverpool whatever the result so as much as I'd rather we concentrate on the League (and ergo normally a defeat here wouldn't be a bad result) the prize on offer at Anfield to watch our superstars against their journeymen is too much to put out a second string side. Sure, rest one or two of the more important players to protect them, Stu maybe, but we need to put out a strong enough team to beat Watford.

Lumley, KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Manning, Charles, Smallbone, Rothwell, Brooks, AA, Edozie could be enough to see us through.

Good Luck Russ, over to you.

Winning away at Liverpool in these circumstances would be properly epic.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Got to want a win...we have a kind fixture at the weekend, so not all bad

I reckon....

Lumley, KwP, Stephens, Bed/THB, Meghoma, Smallbone, Charles, Rothwell, Fraser, Mara, Arma/Edozie

Give Brooks a start but agree outside of that.

I’d probably start Downes as well.

5 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Give Brooks a start but agree outside of that.

I’d probably start Downes as well.

Can't - he's cup-tied. Played for Bompey against Swansea (captained the side, scored + 2 assists)  

Edited by waylander
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Quite fancy a cagey draw up there and beat them at St Marys in a replay.

No replays in the 5th round so will have to be cagey draw up the, extra time, win on pens 

I think that Watford will play pretty much as expected but RM may try surprise them by playing a 3 at the back from the off for this FA cup match - before reverting to the conventional four v Huddersfield. Just to give notice to test if league that we are not always the same formation. Im Probably totally wrong and he keeps the four at back ( insert Jan at CB in which case ) but without Holgate I’ve just got an inkling he may go for something a little different, if so, as follows 

Lumley

Stephens          THB              Meghoma 

Rothwell   Charles Smallbone    Dibling 

Armstrong  Mara  Edozie

• Like 1

Unless there's a sudden upsurge in ticket sales over the next couple of days then St Mary's will look a bit roomy for this one. Looks like they haven't bothered opening the Chapel corners again and sales slow in most stands. Watford still have plenty of tickets left from the smaller allocation, blocks 43 and 44 will be empty in their bit.

If we were to get through then I recommend numerous viewings of Shane Long on that Anfield night back in 2017 to get the blood racing.

Normally, I'd want to put out a strong enough team but knowing the draw already makes it all a bit moot.

Shame Bree isn't fit yet as we're now looking a bit light for cover at the back without Holgate. Similar in CM without Alcaraz and Aribo at the moment

I'm sure Lumley, Stephens, Meghoma, Charles and Rothwell will start. So two of Janny B, THB, Manning and KWP will probably need to play, plus Downes or Smallbone. 

I'd be tempted to keep Adams up top, with Edozie and SAA on the wings.

I wonder if the Watford Manager would be more likely to risk playing a full strength team bearing in mind that whilst Watford are 3 points outside the playoffs they probably are less concerned about injuries to key players than we are and possibly look at the potential 45% share of a £1m plus gate revenue at Anfield as a nice earner

#.

No point flogging key players like KWP, Downes, both Armstrongs etc.

I would go with something like this, a shame Bree isnt available:

Lumley

Stephens - Charles - THB- Meghoma

Dibling - Smallbone - Rothwell

SAA - Mara - Edozie

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Unless there's a sudden upsurge in ticket sales over the next couple of days then St Mary's will look a bit roomy for this one. Looks like they haven't bothered opening the Chapel corners again and sales slow in most stands. Watford still have plenty of tickets left from the smaller allocation, blocks 43 and 44 will be empty in their bit.

If we were to get through then I recommend numerous viewings of Shane Long on that Anfield night back in 2017 to get the blood racing.

Well, if they’re not going to consult me about the date they can expect an empty house.  🙄

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Lumley

Fraser - Mara - Edozie

Depends if we want to progress to the next round or not. Watford aren’t mugs and should have been out of sight in the first half, we had no control in midfield and rode our luck. If Russ has no interest, then let the youngsters have a go, but I find it strange that some here don’t want to go for it, play a strong team and then test ourselves against the top ( just ) of the prem. Win that and 2 (I think?) from a Wembley final. Yes I know we have 2 games a week for the next  4 or 5 weeks, but they are professional footballers who now understand Russell’s system, so have an extra rest day each week, if it’s necessary.

1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I just took a look,  shed loads of tickets left  as you say but Huddersfield next Saturday looking very healthy. Very few tickets left except for extra Northam blocks that Huddersfield returned.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Lumley

Fraser - Mara - Edozie

And out we go in a demoralising home defeat by a few goals.

Similar to the first game I’d like to see our key players protected; for me that’s KWP, ArmA, Downes and probably also Stu right now. I’d only play one of Fraser or Edozie too.

Personally I’d like/expect something like

Lumley

Stephens THB Bednarek Meghoma

Rothwell Charles Dibling

SAA Mara Edozie

could see Adams or Smallbone getting a start, though - possibly even Manning in midfield. 
Wide options possibly influenced on whether Kamaldeen is available.

And like everyone has said, Shane Bree is out.

Ultimately I’d like us to win but am not going to be too upset if we lose. The likelihood of a defeat at Anfield makes this game a free hit so protect the key men and give minutes to fringe players imho.

2 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Yeah going to be 15k ish crowd, empty seats, football in a library, magic of the cup. 

I'll still be there, cardboard trophy wrapped in foil, red and white ribbons tied on, never stop believing, could be our year. 

6 hours ago, trousers said:

Saints to lose on penalties

#blessingindisguise

If so I would claim, as it ended as a draw, that our unbeaten run would continue. A win-win as we avoid the extra match and probable stuffing at Anfield, and can focus on the league.

Edited by Dark Munster
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Turkish said:

We can do it with or without Pompey references 

wish I could play like David Brooks 

fafafafafafafafa

he is a saint and cancer free

plays on the wing and hates Pompey 

And I wish could play like David Brooks

fafafafafafafafa 

For the dopey fuckers

Alternatively:

And when I lie on my Pillow at night

I dream I could score like David Brooks

He’ll lead the saints team to vic-to-ry

We’ll finish top two or win the league

Wish I could play like David Brooks,

FaFaFafaFaFaFaFa  FaFaFafaFaFaFaFa 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 2

I'd expect it to be similar the away game.

Lumley

Bree? Stephens Harwood-Bellis Meghoma

Rothwell Charles Smallbone

Edozie Adams Sulemana

Not sure if Bree, Edozie and Sulemana are all fit yet?  Obviously no Brooks available.

Guess Mara, Fraser, Arma, Stu, Dibling, Amo-Ameyaw could all start if others aren't fit. 

Right back is a problem if Bree isn't fit, so I guess we could see Stephens there, or KWP starting.

• Like 1

Watched the press conference with Matt Gill, lots of changes expected, lots of waffling about potential trip to Anfield, he wants to get through as his Dad is a Liverpool fan and wants a ticket 

19 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I think that Watford will play pretty much as expected but RM may try surprise them by playing a 3 at the back from the off for this FA cup match - before reverting to the conventional four v Huddersfield. Just to give notice to test if league that we are not always the same formation. Im Probably totally wrong and he keeps the four at back ( insert Jan at CB in which case ) but without Holgate I’ve just got an inkling he may go for something a little different, if so, as follows 

Lumley

Stephens          THB              Meghoma 

Rothwell   Charles Smallbone    Dibling 

Armstrong  Mara  Edozie

Let me just get this right... You're suggesting we should/could/might play a 17 year old (attacking being biggest strength) LB at CB and a 17 year old attacker at Wing back... LOL

3 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Alternatively:

And when I lie on my Pillow at night

I dream I could score like David Brooks

He’ll lead the saints team to vic-to-ry

We’ll finish top two or win the league

FaFaFafaFaFaFaFa  FaFaFafaFaFaFaFa 

For goodness sake he is not even eligible to play. Get your head in gear.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Nolan said:

If you're driving to the game. Remember there's a 6-Month One Way System implemented around Cumberland Place thats going to affect travelling round the City Centre.

Map of the restrictions in place during the Ring Road improvements

Christ ! Not even in the 5th Round yet, and I thought you were planning the open top bus parade 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

Let me just get this right... You're suggesting we should/could/might play a 17 year old (attacking being biggest strength) LB at CB and a 17 year old attacker at Wing 

I’d be perfectly happy to suggest the exact same (conventional ) formation that we have played almost every minute of the season to date - except that’s a boring post and everyone including Watford know the formation if not the exact players.

Thank you for provoking discussion on  alternatives 😁

Saints same as usual formation for cup just different players from league matches 11: 

Lumley 

Stephens THB Jan Meg 

Rothwell Charles Smallbone Dibling 

AA Mara Edozie 

Sometimes a teams biggest Achilles heel is not its players or managers or coaches skill - but when they, the management, coaches and even the supporters, reach the outer limits of their imagination. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-0 Watford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic