Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Lallana being released by Brighton this summer, so get ready for all the links...

Would anyone accept him back here given the way he left? Purely on footballing terms I don't think he's a 46 game player if we stayed down and that's what we would need and he isn't a Premier League player anymore if we went up. So, fitness issues too much of a concern and he isn't the same player now because of that.

See Ramsey's return to Cardiff as a reference, which was also why I was against an Ox return. Walcott's return wasn't exactly successful either.

6 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Lallana being released by Brighton this summer, so get ready for all the links...

Would anyone accept him back here given the way he left? Purely on footballing terms I don't think he's a 46 game player if we stayed down and that's what we would need and he isn't a Premier League player anymore if we went up. So, fitness issues too much of a concern and he isn't the same player now because of that.

See Ramsey's return to Cardiff as a reference, which was also why I was against an Ox return. Walcott's return wasn't exactly successful either.

I wouldn’t want him back but the way he left has no bearing on that opinion.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

He's 36 years old. The answer is NO. 

He has also made it clear he needs to be back with his family. I guess that means Liverpool way, not Southampton, otherwise why would he have been away from them for 4 years (not sure why he would have been away from them for 4 years anyway, seems odd).

Edited by VectisSaint
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He's 36 years old. The answer is NO. 

He has also made it clear he needs to be back with his family. I guess that means Liverpool way, not Southampton, otherwise why would he have been away from them for 4 years (not sure why he would have been away from them for 4 years anyway, seems odd).

His son's in our academy, so they're possibly still based around this area.

10 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Newcastle, Celtic and Liverpool want McCarthy.

No way he goes to Liverpool or Newcastle. Why would they sign an old player who can barely play half a game?

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)

Lallana wants to go into coaching and his family home is still in the area so pretty sure he would be keen on moving back here.

I think he would be a great asset and certainly someone we should be looking to bring back in some form of role. I know some are still bitter from when he left but at some stage you have to move on and his more recent comments suggest he probably realises he didnt go about it in the best way.

Clearly a leader, has played and learned from some top coaches (Poortvliet, Poch, Klopp, Potter, De Zerbi etc) and knows how to transition from youth to mens football as well as what creates a good culture (they really valued his off the pitch impact at Brighton)

If he wants to continue playing and is sensible about cash he might be worth a year with the thought that he would likely just be coming off the bench. His main influence would be as a senior player/assistant coach.

If he is done with playing and wants to coach then its a no brainer to try and pair him with an experienced coach in one of the academy sides.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Suspect Lallana is looking for a coaching role more than playing tbh. Saw Chambers is allowed to leave Villa and had a good impact last night...

I’d take him but I suspect a lower half premier league club will get him 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Lallana wants to go into coaching and his family home is still in the area so pretty sure he would be keen on moving back here.

I think he would be a great asset and certainly someone we should be looking to bring back in some form of role. I know some are still bitter from when he left but at some stage you have to move on and his more recent comments suggest he probably realises he didnt go about it in the best way.

Clearly a leader, has played and learned from some top coaches (Poortvliet, Poch, Klopp, Potter, De Zerbi etc) and knows how to transition from youth to mens football as well as what creates a good culture (they really valued his off the pitch impact at Brighton)

If he wants to continue playing and is sensible about cash he might be worth a year with the thought that he would likely just be coming off the bench. His main influence would be as a senior player/assistant coach.

If he is done with playing and wants to coach then its a no brainer to try and pair him with an experienced coach in one of the academy sides.

He was at the presentation of saints youth awards. Make of that what you will.

Edited by stevy777_x

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

He was at the presentation of saints youth awards. Make of that what you will.

Think his son is in the academy — Was at an U18 match recently too.

Edited by SuperSAINT

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’d take him but I suspect a lower half premier league club will get him 

Yep, a club that wants to remain lower half premier league by hiring has been players. He’s no good for the Prem now and not robust enough for the Championship IMO. If he wants to get into coaching then perhaps try that out in the lower leagues first and work his way up. I’m tired with Saints being the testing ground for ‘up and coming’ coaches and managers who don’t contribute success.

11 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d like to see him back in some capacity. Rather him than Lambert and the tinfoil hat brigade.

And do what? What is it you think he’s going to bring to the club?

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

He’s barely fit enough to play 20 minutes when he’s not injured and he isn’t getting any younger or fitter.

Certainly not getting younger, but I don’t know anyone who is.  Not sure about the rest though.

Che to Wolves surfaces. What a wanker, timing-wise. Can't play him on Friday in my view. Won't give a shit (even less than normal). Plus he is talentless. Play Ross Stewart! And the Arma with shooting boots, not the one we saw at The Hawthorns

• Haha 6
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, DT said:

Che to Wolves surfaces. What a wanker, timing-wise. Can't play him on Friday in my view. Won't give a shit (even less than normal). Plus he is talentless. Play Ross Stewart! And the Arma with shooting boots, not the one we saw at The Hawthorns

🤣

13 minutes ago, DT said:

What's been confirmed? Been on the cards for a while that one hasn't it 

37 minutes ago, DT said:

🔔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

McCarthy is out of contract at the end of the season and in a very similar situation. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't play him too?

• Haha 2

Che is in the Scotland squad, he'll want his profile to be as high as possible. Plus since when did he not give a 100%. Finishing might be iffy at times but he's a committed pro.

His hold up play just recently has been excellent.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, DT said:

he's been here five years...giving his all. He might not be blessed with supreme talent, but I don't think there have been many opportunities to criticise his lack of effort. I'd be very surprised if put anything less than his best into the next two games. 

• Like 9

On 14/05/2024 at 17:55, HarvSFC said:

His son's in our academy, so they're possibly still based around this area.

So his comments don't make sense. If the family were in Southampton why would he have been away from them for the last 4 years? Southampton to Brighton is hardly the other side of the world. I have no idea where his family is, but I'm mystified by his comments.

8 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

So his comments don't make sense. If the family were in Southampton why would he have been away from them for the last 4 years? Southampton to Brighton is hardly the other side of the world. I have no idea where his family is, but I'm mystified by his comments.

Bournemouth/Ringwood to Brighton is not an easy drive to do on a regular basis. Between Havant and Chichester was always bad and if Goodwood is on even worse. I knew someone who commuted between Hayling Island and Bournemouth and found it very challenging, Brighton further still.

I’d have thought Brighton let him have some days at home but with their Europa campaign this year that’s probably been less often and he’s probably been staying in Sussex more often than not. 

3 hours ago, DT said:

Sometimes you just need to take a breather before posting, you throw your toys out of the pram way too quickly.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Sometimes you just need to take a breather before posting, you throw your toys out of the pram way too quickly.

Ok. Fair enough. He's still terrible and one of the worst finishers we've had, though. Wish we could have got some cash for him.

On 15/05/2024 at 09:38, Wade Garrett said:

If he has turned an offer from Brighton down, he definitely has an offer from elsewhere.

Struggling to understand where, he’s only going to be involved in cameo roles as his legs continue to go.

This season at Brighton he’s started 12 games and come on as sub in 12. So either unused sub or not in the squad in 14 league games.

Of the games he’s started, he’s only twice made it past the 60 minute mark before getting hooked.

And he’s scored zero goals, assisted 1.

He’s clearly still a pretty good player at some sort of level, but just such a risk for anyone to take as he can’t get close to finishing a 90 minute game.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-lallana/leistungsdaten/spieler/43530

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Struggling to understand where, he’s only going to be involved in cameo roles as his legs continue to go.

This season at Brighton he’s started 12 games and come on as sub in 12. So either unused sub or not in the squad in 14 league games.

Of the games he’s started, he’s only twice made it past the 60 minute mark before getting hooked.

And he’s scored zero goals, assisted 1.

He’s clearly still a pretty good player at some sort of level, but just such a risk for anyone to take as he can’t get close to finishing a 90 minute game.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-lallana/leistungsdaten/spieler/43530

I’m not disagreeing, but pros don’t turn contracts down unless there’s an alternative on the table.

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

I’m not disagreeing, but pros don’t turn contracts down unless there’s an alternative on the table.

No I know, I’m genuinely struggling to think who might pick him up given where he’s at. Unless he’s prepared to drop a ton of cash, but it sounds like he’s got multiple interests. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. But yeah, not one for us I’d hope.

On 15/05/2024 at 09:49, Lighthouse said:

And do what? What is it you think he’s going to bring to the club?

Well the U21 manager has just left the club. 

If Adam has the apetite to go into coaching, having spent a couple of years under a manager who plays in a similar way to us and been involved in the coaching set up there, it might be a good stepping stone for him. Wether to become our First team manager in a couple of years (would be a fairly smooth transition from Martin to him, you'd imagine from a playing style) or to a first team role elsewhere. 

However, this is Adam Lallana, I exepct his ego wouldn't let him learn his craft at u21 level. 

Just now, CSA96 said:

Eassily the most sensible bit of buisness that anyone in this leauge could have done this summer - from the very lmited I've seen, he's a fantastic shot stopper. 

We were never going to be interested though. He's a proper keeper, but not a footballer. he doesn't suit the way in which we want to play - which, you'd have to argue is fair enough - at least we have some form of strategy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Eassily the most sensible bit of buisness that anyone in this leauge could have done this summer - from the very lmited I've seen, he's a fantastic shot stopper. 

We were never going to be interested though. He's a proper keeper, but not a footballer. he doesn't suit the way in which we want to play - which, you'd have to argue is fair enough - at least we have some form of strategy. 

I guess its hard for Saints to commit to transfers at the moment as still a chance we will be a PL team. I very much doubt he is top flight material otherwise he wouldn't be going to Stoke after conceding shiiite loads of goals this season.

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

I guess its hard for Saints to commit to transfers at the moment as still a chance we will be a PL team. I very much doubt he is top flight material otherwise he wouldn't be going to Stoke after conceding shiiite loads of goals this season.

Would have thought Johansson would have made a decent EPL squad keeper at least. Would certainly prefer risking him there than any on our books currently.

• Like 1