Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

21 minutes ago, Badger said:

I thought Delap scored agaiinst us at Hull, but he didn't look that great so maybe he was carrying an injury. I remember he was subbed.

£10m, would be enough for Miosovic at Aberdeen who we were linked with due to Mowbray this season. Probably have some change left over as well. 

Just cannot see us spending £10m on a striker, when we have a fit Ross Stewart - who we really need to be the striker we hoped

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He scored in the away game, scrappy over the line job. But was injured in our home game.

Yeah the Aberdeen striker is another interesting option, our head scout (Mowbray) will know all about him as he scouted him for Aberdeen. I can't see him costing as much as £10m, probably more in the 5-6m range. Definitely could be an option.

If we end up staying down, I think I'd take a punt on Jay Stansfield personally.

• Like 3

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Just cannot see us spending £10m on a striker, when we have a fit Ross Stewart - who we really need to be the striker we hoped

You are probably right on us not spending that if we stay down. But even if we don't go up. should we be relying on a fit Ross Stewart for the season ?

Said it before, he might start next season like an express train for us, and we'll all be happy, but Sod's Law, he's injured September 2nd after the window "slams shut".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Adams will probably be gone and Mara cannot be trusted (if indeed he stays). AA is not a striker (though i'd have him as third choice if needed) and Ross's fitness will remain a concern. We absolutely need to be bringing in one new striker. (Two if we go up!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He was injured for the home game. He does seem a little injury prone, but he is a good player. £10m is about right, I have no idea what on earth went through our heads a few years ago when we were talking £34m for him though (it was £22m, up to 34m with add ons). That was before Wilcox as well, I think it was Shields trying to push us on that one. The more you look at it the more fishy these deals with Man City look.

If i'm honest I'd rather put that £10m down on Jay Stansfield from Fulham.

That was just media gossip, it was never that sort of money. My understanding was that it was up to £22m including add ons. 

He’ll go somewhere this summer, and we’re a decent option for him if we can afford him. 

18 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

KWP to Spurs transfers rumours hotting up. Probably one of the more obvious transfers for the summer. Ticks pretty much every single box needed for Spurs.

I absolutely love KWP but really hope he doesn't go back to Spurs. He deserves a proper club where he might win something

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

KWP to Spurs transfers rumours hotting up. Probably one of the more obvious transfers for the summer. Ticks pretty much every single box needed for Spurs.

Interesting move of it happens. I can't see him getting in the team ahead of Porro who's been great.  

11 minutes ago, egg said:

Interesting move of it happens. I can't see him getting in the team ahead of Porro who's been great.  

He’ll be a very welcomed versatile player who can play on both sides which will be needed with European football. Great move for him imo and fits the way they are trying to play really well, whether it be inverted from the left or as a right back. 

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

He’ll be a very welcomed versatile player who can play on both sides which will be needed with European football. Great move for him imo and fits the way they are trying to play really well, whether it be inverted from the left or as a right back. 

He needs to play and deserves to be more than just to be a squad player. Personally I hope he gets a move somewhere where he'll start. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

He needs to play and deserves to be more than just to be a squad player. Personally I hope he gets a move somewhere where he'll start. 

He will start 😂 They have two quality FB’s. He’ll get more than enough game time there. 

5 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Don't they have some sort of buy back clause?

42 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Bayern Munich it is then

could see him going to a German club and why wouldn't you? A lot of English players seem to do very well in that league, plus he'd get a champions league club so get that every season too. I know a lot of the premier league consumers on here will sneer at the German league but it's a good one to be in, plus a strong league with two championship semi finalists and a Europa league finalist this season

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

I thought the same, so just went researching. I thought there was a buyback at 30M agreed, but I can't find any such reference in the 2020 article.

Happy to be proven wrong if anyone can find a note?

Didn't he sign a new contract with us at some point? If so they may well have binned off the buy back clause in the new contract 

40 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Didn't he sign a new contract with us at some point? If so they may well have binned off the buy back clause in the new contract 

Not sure signing a new contract would  void the buy back clause, but you'd think there were time limits on any buy back.

The fee we can get for him is going to be a lot less now he has a year left of his contract...which is typically when Levy appears. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

I thought the same, so just went researching. I thought there was a buyback at 30M agreed, but I can't find any such reference in the 2020 article.

Happy to be proven wrong if anyone can find a note?

From 2022.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11016531/Tottenham-30m-buyback-clause-Southampton-Kyle-Walker-Peters.html

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Excellent, if Spurs come in for him we can say "no problem, and the good news is we don't have to waste any times with negotiations because we already agreed a fee!".

Worth a go. 

Daniel Levy, there's a man you can rely on to honour a deal...

39 minutes ago, Badger said:

Daniel Levy, there's a man you can rely on to honour a deal...

The Aldeweireld saga still makes me angry. To think we could have had a CB pairing of him and Van Dijk. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

The Aldeweireld saga still makes me angry. To think we could have had a CB pairing of him and Van Dijk. 

Lots of what ifs for us. 

The Spurs link is very odds on I’d say. The coaches style will fit him well. And it’s clearly an upwards step. I’m, sadly, certain it will happen. 

Two players I consider not as good as him but who have done well overseas are Lewis Ferguson and Nathan Tella. Tella obviously hit the jackpot going to Leverkusen but Ferguson deserves credit - awarded “ Seria A midfielder of the year whilst at Bologna. The player overseas much better than all of them got no medals this season - Harry Kane- but his reputation as World Class has been enhanced not reduced by his time at Bayern given his goals and performances. . 
KWP to Bayern is not such a ridiculous thought. And Bayern cannot go two seasons without trophies & medals so if I was kwp and offered the chance I’d jump…

33 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

No we wouldn’t. We wouldn’t have signed Van Dijk if we bought Alderweireld. 

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

No we wouldn’t. We wouldn’t have signed Van Dijk if we bought Alderweireld. 

Agree to disagree. Van Dijk was a long term target and Koeman was very keen to bring him in regardless of Toby. 

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Agree to disagree. Van Dijk was a long term target and Koeman was very keen to bring him in regardless of Toby. 

Fonte was also our Captain, No way was he getting dropped.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Fonte was also our Captain, No way was he getting dropped.

Maybe not, but Koeman also enjoyed tinkering with 3 at the back on occasion. That could have been what he had planned. 

Or maybe it was the club planning for Fonte leaving as one year later he was being frozen out - another travesty. No idea why they thought we were too good for him, the guys actually played more games since leaving us than he did for us and before joining.  

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 1

How certain is it the “crown jewels” the out of contracts and the loan players all leave Saints at season end? Funnily enough I don’t think it makes all that much difference either way. Sure the wages may get a bump but the contracts ( and c wages and prospects)  may not be as juicy as on offer at more established EPL clubs. Don’t forget the three promoted teams are always favourites for relegation..

If we go up - or stay down - I think the names and odds are still pretty much the same

1. Alex will leave 10/10 imo. 
2. Flynn is wanted and will go back and play for West Ham 9/10 imo. 
3. KWP will leave 10/10 imo. 
4. Stuart will leave 7/10 imo. 
5. Mara will leave on loan or transfer 10/10 imo 
6. Che will leave 9/10.  
7. THB will leave 10/10. 
8. Brooks will go back but we probably will be offered a chance to buy him ditto Rothwell. Unsure either are especially “ wanted” by Bournemouth. I’ve no idea if we would try keep either so I’m guessing it’s 6/10 they leave. 

Those are the current first readers off top of my head. 

Which suggests that there will be significant outgoings shortly, as expected. Strap yourselves in! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

How certain is it the “crown jewels” the out of contracts and the loan players all leave Saints at season end? Funnily enough I don’t think it makes all that much difference either way. Sure the wages may get a bump but the contracts ( and c wages and prospects)  may not be as juicy as on offer at more established EPL clubs. Don’t forget the three promoted teams are always favourites for relegation..

If we go up - or stay down - I think the names and odds are still pretty much the same

6. Che will leave 9/10.  
7. THB will leave 10/10. 
8. Brooks will go back but we probably will be offered a chance to buy him ditto Rothwell. Unsure either are especially “ wanted” by Bournemouth. I’ve no idea if we would try keep either so I’m guessing it’s 6/10 they leave. 

Which suggests that there will be significant outgoings shortly, as expected. Strap yourselves in! 

Che will be out of contract.

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

THB stays if we go up. If I remember righty we had an option to buy should we go up.

Not just an option to buy, but an obligation to buy if I recall correctly 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

6. Che will leave 9/10.  
7. THB will leave 10/10. 

Buts that’s just pure speculation, wait for a little bit longer and we will all know exactly what incomings and outgoings are happening, through a series of obscure pictures and quotes from 15th century French poetry, when the magnificent COT reopens. I can’t wait 🤢

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Saint Marky said:

Buts that’s just pure speculation, wait for a little bit longer and we will all know exactly what incomings and outgoings are happening, through a series of obscure pictures and quotes from 15th century French poetry, when the magnificent COT reopens. I can’t wait 🤢

Yes it is always fun and I take it as that. It of course be 'you heard it here first, we're not going to tell you what it is until it has happened, but we were in the know'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/05/2024 at 23:50, Turkish said:

He’s been excellent every time I’ve seen him. Signing keepers cheap from Rotherham isn’t very hipster though so doubt we’ll do it

It seems unless he can pass like KDB and spray the ball in all directions we will not be interested in someone saves the ball and keeps the ball out of the net.

THB still has a lot to learn to be successful in the premier league. If we don’t end up being promoted another season at the top end of the championship wouldn’t be the worse thing for him. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

THB still has a lot to learn to be successful in the premier league. If we don’t end up being promoted another season at the top end of the championship wouldn’t be the worse thing for him. 

If we don’t go up I would be amazed if we can afford his transfer fee.

I spoke to someone 'in the know' last week who basically underlined the message coming out of the club.
We have to go up this season to make finances work.
If we dont the money available for replacements for McCarthy/KWP/Downes/Harwood Bellis/Adams/Fraser/Rothwell/Brooks/S Armstrong/Mara/Sulemana is extremely limited.
The unsavoury fact of life is that Pompey may have a better financial model next season.
I do hope all this is not true but the person I spoke to has a pretty good handle on things and is a keen Saints fan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I spoke to someone 'in the know' last week who basically underlined the message coming out of the club.
We have to go up this season to make finances work.
If we dont the money available for replacements for McCarthy/KWP/Downes/Harwood Bellis/Adams/Fraser/Rothwell/Brooks/S Armstrong/Mara/Sulemana is extremely limited.
The unsavoury fact of life is that Pompey may have a better financial model next season.
I do hope all this is not true but the person I spoke to has a pretty good handle on things and is a keen Saints fan.

Similar to what I’ve heard. If we don’t go up then we are likely looking at many cuts on the pitch and off the pitch.

19 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Similar to what I’ve heard. If we don’t go up then we are likely looking at many cuts on the pitch and off the pitch.

So why are we building a fan zone etc surely money spent on that should be put in the team?

My Plymouth supporting neighbour told me yesterday that Matt Gill our assistant manager is very good friends with some one at Argyle and that we were given 3 days notice to sign Finn Azaz and dithered too long and he went to Boro. Make of that what you will.

Just now, Andrew Watson said:

My Plymouth supporting neighbour told me yesterday that Matt Gill our assistant manager is very good friends with some one at Argyle and that we were given 3 days notice to sign Finn Azaz and dithered too long and he went to Boro. Make of that what you will.

Probably was an option when we were looking to swap Charly, but we opted for Rothwell. Can't say that Azaz has ripped up any tree's what so ever at Boro, so I won't be crying over that one. Saved some $$.

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Probably was an option when we were looking to swap Charly, but we opted for Rothwell. Can't say that Azaz has ripped up any tree's what so ever at Boro, so I won't be crying over that one. Saved some $$.

Four goals and five assists is a bit better than anything our midfielders have served up since January, tbf

11 goals and 10 assists in the league across Argyle and Boro. Decent signing for what they paid. Wouldn't mind someone chipping in with those sort of numbers

7 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We’ll have one more season of parachute payments. So better than some teams but a lot less to play with compared to this season.

It's up to 3 years of Parachute payments. The second season is only around £6m less than the first year so still a significant advantage over most of the league.