Summer Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Nicked from The Kracken from the safe standing thread, who himself nicked it from the Ugly. [Ive removed the points 1-4, 7-9 that were raised relating to the stadium]

A small number of fans attended a meeting before today's game. It was very informative with a few surprises. 
5- Most of the parachute payment went on loan repayments (something to do with how the contracts were set up) 
6- if we don't get promoted, many players have said they will leave (no names!!) 

Nice of them, whoever they are.
Other than KWP, will there be a massive queue of clubs trying to prise them away? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Nicked from The Kracken from the safe standing thread, who himself nicked it from the Ugly. [Ive removed the points 1-4, 7-9 that were raised relating to the stadium]

A small number of fans attended a meeting before today's game. It was very informative with a few surprises. 
5- Most of the parachute payment went on loan repayments (something to do with how the contracts were set up) 
6- if we don't get promoted, many players have said they will leave (no names!!) 

Other than KWP, will there be a massive queue of clubs trying to prise them away? 

Armstrong, McCarthy and Adams on frees

Janny B, KWP, Sullemann, Aribo, Edozie will possibly think they should be premier league players?

Bazunu (lol) Might also

On 14/04/2024 at 12:27, Turkish said:

We’re going to need too. Whatever happens We will lose about 8 current first team squad players with loans and contracts ending. Of the rest how many are premier league level? KWP is, the rest hard to make a case for any of them. We’ve got plenty of players that have played in the premier league that doesn’t make them premier league players 

Not always the perfect barometer, but the championship team of the year contained just one Saint, KWP, reaffirming that we don't have a many top quality players. if we got promoted perhaps we'd be better placed than some to assess if any of these could make the step up.

Mads Hermansen (Leicester City)

Kyle Walker-Peters (Southampton), Ethan Ampadu (Leeds United), Jacob Greaves (Hull City), Leif Davis (Ipswich Town)

Gabriel Sara (Norwich City), Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall (Leicester City)

Morgan Whittaker (Plymouth Argyle), Sammie Szmodics (Blackburn Rovers), Crysencio Summerville (Leeds United)

Georginio Rutter (Leeds United)

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

Armstrong, McCarthy and Adams on frees

Janny B, KWP, Sullemann, Aribo, Edozie will possibly think they should be premier league players?

Bazunu (lol) Might also

Not sure the out of contract players count, but if they do, if we go up does that mean Stu and Adams might sign new deals

Janny B, KWP and Sullemana came to mind. Not so sure about Aribo, Edozie and Bazunu. Perhaps ABK, Charlie, Tall Paul and Perraud have been included, although would they want to stay if we did go up?  Not sure I care if any player departs other than KWP.

55 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not always the perfect barometer, but the championship team of the year contained just one Saint, KWP, reaffirming that we don't have a many top quality players. if we got promoted perhaps we'd be better placed than some to assess if any of these could make the step up.

Kyle Walker-Peters (Southampton), Ethan Ampadu (Leeds United), Jacob Greaves (Hull City), Leif Davis (Ipswich Town)

Morgan Whittaker (Plymouth Argyle), Sammie Szmodics (Blackburn Rovers), Crysencio Summerville (Leeds United)

To be fair I think that speaks more to the fact that the quality in the league this year is particularly strong rather than our players lacking quality. You could make a case for THB, Downes and Armstrong at least alongside KWP obviously. 

If we don't go up

Stuey, Adams, Sulemana, Mara, Downes, Fraser, Benares, Bellis, Brooks. 

Possibly Armstrong.....

Ketchup, Lyanco, DCC, Onuachu 

Can see the above all returning to clubs, or.being sold.

Strangely, there are only three players I'd be disappointed to lose this summer, Harwood-Bellis, Downes and Walker-Peters and they feel like an inevitability if we don't get promoted anyway, so double misery potentially this summer. Think everyone else in the squad is replaceable with a good scouting team, even with A. Armstrong's strong numbers. The good scouting team, is of course as always the worrying thing.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Chez said:

If we don't get promoted then this is a good thing. We'd have a squad littered with a core group of experienced players who would have relegated us and failed to bounce back so I'm very open to losing a lot of them personally. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Most of the summer signings were loans, only Shea Charles cost a fee  (15 mill.).

Even if we don't get promotion and we lose some players, we would need a repeat scenario to replace them.

If we 've done it once ..why not ? 

Shea Charles cost us £10Million, the extra 5 only comes into effect WHEN we are promoted.

Ross Stewart cost us £8Million

• Like 1

3 hours ago, david in sweden said:

I stand corrected, but it would be nice to see them playing regularly AND stay fit. 

Yeah, I'm still intrieged by Stewart, Only got to saw him for a small cameo on the RW. 

Edited by SaintsFan86
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Most of the summer signings were loans, only Shea Charles cost a fee  (15 mill.).

Even if we don't get promotion and we lose some players, we would need a repeat scenario to replace them.

If we 've done it once ..why not ? 

We would certainly have to replace the loans, but we'd have much more to do this summer should we fail.

KWP, Bednarek, Adams, Armstrong (x2), McCarthy, Sulemana would all need replacing in some form as well, as there's no chance we'd retain any of those guys. 

We'd need at least 12 players to replace all those we'd lose (including the loans), but we'd probably need more than that in order to have a squad. Will be a tough ask without a DoF to boot!

It's a bit daunting really, we'd have more of an upheaval than last summer, but we'd have less money, no DoF and no 'just relegated' advantage over the rest of the league. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We would certainly have to replace the loans, but we'd have much more to do this summer should we fail.

KWP, Bednarek, Adams, Armstrong (x2), McCarthy, Sulemana would all need replacing in some form as well, as there's no chance we'd retain any of those guys. 

We'd need at least 12 players to replace all those we'd lose (including the loans), but we'd probably need more than that in order to have a squad. Will be a tough ask without a DoF to boot!

It's a bit daunting really, we'd have more of an upheaval than last summer, but we'd have less money, no DoF and no 'just relegated' advantage over the rest of the league. 

We have some good youngsters, and those on loan to come back, so I doubt we need 12 new players.

Just now, Gingeletiss said:

We have some good youngsters, and those on loan to come back, so I doubt we need 12 new players.

Yeah I'd expect Dibling, SAA etc to step up - maybe Larios and Meghoma as well. The problem is we don't have those good youngsters to step in to fill Armstrongs boots, or Adams boots, or THB etc. 

The returning loans are an interesting proposition, but wages will dictate those I think. ABK has apparently already told us he'd only come back if we were promoted, so he can do one as far as I'm concernered.

If we don't go up this year we will have a serious job on our hands to build a competitive squad in the summer. Should make the rumour mills fun at least, and this thread should be mega active.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

ABK has apparently already told us he'd only come back if we were promoted, so he can do one as far as I'm concerned.

Unless someone loans him, he has to come back. Teams don't take players on loan on July 1st.  So he will be here for a month or two no matter what.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

which loans coming back are playing for us next season? They were loaned out this season for a reason (they didnt want to be here or we didn't want them here).

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

which loans coming back are playing for us next season? They were loaned out this season for a reason (they didnt want to be here or we didn't want them here).

True, but they still have to return, do they not?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Why would anyone buy Adam Armstrong?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah I'd expect Dibling, SAA etc to step up - maybe Larios and Meghoma as well. The problem is we don't have those good youngsters to step in to fill Armstrongs boots, or Adams boots, or THB etc. 

The returning loans are an interesting proposition, but wages will dictate those I think. ABK has apparently already told us he'd only come back if we were promoted, so he can do one as far as I'm concernered.

If we don't go up this year we will have a serious job on our hands to build a competitive squad in the summer. Should make the rumour mills fun at least, and this thread should be mega active.

Luckily you have several posters who can keep you all abreast with all the real transfer news 👼

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SambaMaverick said:

Why would anyone buy Adam Armstrong?

We did based on an excellent Championship season and now he's 27 and entering into his prime. But this is his level so unless a stupid bid comes in from the Prem (possible but we know he's not Prem material) I think he'll stay. The contract is a concern though, expires end of next season.

AA has his flaws (he ain't a striker) but 30 goal involvements so far shows he has a lot to offer us next season if we keep him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

We did based on an excellent Championship season and now he's 27 and entering into his prime. But this is his level so unless a stupid bid comes in from the Prem (possible but we know he's not Prem material) I think he'll stay. The contract is a concern though, expires end of next season.

AA has his flaws (he ain't a striker) but 30 goal involvements so far shows he has a lot to offer us next season if we keep him.

We bought him on the back of an excellent Championship season with an expectation/hope he would repeat that in the Prem. Surely everyone knows now he ain't no Premier League player.

Really depends on how skint we are, and if we really do get reduced to flogging our best players to the Sheffield Uniteds or Burnleys this summer.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Chez said:

This isn’t groundbreaking. This is only to be expected. I’m sure they’ll be lots of people on Twitter throwing their toys out the pram though 😅

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This is exactly why anything less than promotion will mean Russell Martin has failed, our decent players that gave us a big advantage over most of the league will be off

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Obviously with Baz out for most of if not all of next season priority has got to be a no. 1 keeper 

Do club go for ?

a) young long term player 

b) mid 20s - early 30s

c) old head with tons of experience & wanting to teach Baz

d) pure stop gap

B, no messing about.

• Like 2

Sulemana wouldn't need replacing. He's been woeful. £22m down the drain, I suspect we'll loan him out with the hope that he does well for his loan club so we can recoup some of the fortune we've wasted. Fingers crossed the scout who recommended him is long gone. 

• Like 5

If we don't go up the big losses will be Downes, THB and KWP.

Defence

Fullbacks Bree, Manning, Mehgoma, Larios - maybe one in?

CBs - god knows with 4 out on loan, 

Midfield - Rothwell for Stu

Charles for Downes

Smallbone stay

I can see Aribo staying or going

Fraser will stay

Wouldn't be stunned for Brooks to stay

Edozie

Dibling

A Armstrong

Sam AA

Maybe Bragg more in the squad 

Forwards

I can see Che and Mara both leaving, so just Stewart

Ballard maybe promoted

Priority has to be CF and CM (and probably CB dependant on JB and loans).

Clearly will be weakened by three main names going but don't think we will be ripped apart. 

(Edit - forgot Sulemana, prob leave, as not managed to cement a starting place but a shame for all the frustration I do look forward to him coming on)

Edited by West end Saints

You can loosely predict it:

Out of contracts that will 100% leave: Che Adams and Alex McCarthy.

Maybe: Stu Armstrong (league dependant, but from what I’ve read he’s got a good relationship with Russell Martin and the club).

I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of Ryan Fraser or David Brooks remain in some capacity.

I’m sure we’ll cash in on Sulemana, Onuachu, Kyle Walker-Peter’s, maybe Joe Aribo. A lot of them will be league and wage dependant.

On 15/04/2024 at 14:41, Chez said:

Leicester only have 2, but easily have the best players - the team of the season is just opinion and nothing more.

Assuming we dont go up....I think it's clear we will be without Mccarthy, KWP, THB, Downes, Stuey, Sulemana, Che. Probably also Bednarek.

Obviously as well as Downes, Fraser, Brooks and Rothwell are loans.

KWP will clearly be a miss but I do feel he has faded as the season has gone on, and Bree is no mug as part of a sllid back 4. Fraser maybe we can get on a free. Jury out on if Rothwell is really a Stuey replacement. Would love to keep Downes but can see him in a promoted Ipswich side! 

I can't see Perraud, Tall Paul, ABK or Alcaraz wanting to play, so there is potentially some income there. I wouldn't mind seeing Caleta Car back tho.

I think we need to buy a Keeper (baz replacement), Center Back or two (THB replacement), Right Back?, Holding Midfield, Box to Box midfield and probably a striker to support Stewart. 

There seem to be plenty of capable ball playing center backs in this league we could look at.

Not sure on Holding Midfield - Bielik? Sunjic? Box to Box Maybe O Hare? Ilias Chair?

The Rotheham keeper would be a good shout! Ball winning Holding midfielder will probably be the hardest one to find, would love Downes but can't see it.

Feel we need to sign proven players in this league now, and not City's kids.  Probably Holding and Box to Box midfield is the biggest area. 

Anyway, could be all academic as we have a good chance of going up still!!!

New GK 

Manning / Larios / Meghoma

Stephens / Bednarek / 2 New CBs

Bree / New RB

Charles / New Holding Midfield

Aribo / Smallbone / New CM / Rothwell?

Armstrong / Fraser / SAA / Edozie / Dibling

Stewart / Mara / New striker 

Edited by chownie20
Idea

These are my thoughts should we not make promotion, although even if we did, we still need to replace Baz.

Priority 1 has to be a new goalkeeper and I'd go for the guy from Rotherham.

Priority 2 : striker. I know we have Stewart but presumably Che leaves and Mara really should too, so we need A N other. Don't know who though.

Priority 3 : replace Downes as he will likely go back to WH. I really like the look of the Cov midfielder, Ben Sheath.

Priority 4  centre back to replace THB as he will go to the PL.  Another loan signing here IMO.

I think we keep Fraser as he has no interest going back to Newcastle.  Let Brooks and Rothwell go back and find another attacking midfielder on loan 

• Like 2

Ross Stewart was bought very much for the Championship. He'll be 28 this summer and he's spent most of his career in lower leagues in Scotland and League One so it's unlikely he'll be good enough to score goals in the Premier League. If we do get promoted, we're going to need new strikers and, of course, goalkeepers, or we'll be coming straight back down again. 

Ross Stewart - Player profile 23/24 | Transfermarkt

Edited by Nordic Saint

Playing a game of semi-realistic football manager for a minute, I’ve always preferred 4-2-3-1 as a formation and I think we’d be much better defensively.

New GK

Bree - - Stephens - - Bednarek - - Manning

Charles - - New CM

Armstrong - - New AM - - Fraser

Stewart

Subs: Lumley, Smallbone, Edozie, Dibling

Thats based on the following assumptions:

• KWP, Adams, McC, THB, Stu, Rothwell, Brooks, and Downes aren’t staying
  • None of our loan outs will be back.
  • Somehow we can offload Aribo, Alcaraz, Mara and Sully to raise some cash and trim the wage bill.

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Playing a game of semi-realistic football manager for a minute, I’ve always preferred 4-2-3-1 as a formation and I think we’d be much better defensively.

New GK

Charles - - New CM

Stewart

• Somehow we can offload Aribo, Alcaraz, Mara and Sully to raise some cash and trim the wage bill.

I agree, I feel more secure with two CM's in a pivot like that. The back 4 are less exposed and it's more balanced. You can then let the AMC's do what the AMC's do and drive forward, rather than worry about what's behind them.

I'm not sure we'll have that exact team though, I think we'll be getting a new CB as I can't see Bednarek sticking around, last year of his contract so the club will need to return some investment on him. 

The lack of width on the right of the midfield worries me though, you're asking a lot of Bree (who is very, very limited) to provide the attacking outlet that Fraser will provide from the left. (I'm not counting on Armstrong, as I believe the club will be forced to sell given his contract situation)

So...I think when the dust settles we'll end up needing a new GK, new CB, new FB x2, New CM, New AMC (if Charly stays, no new AMC). New Wide Right player, as in a proper purchased replacement for Tella. New ST.

I don't think we can count on Stewart being a first choice player for us, we're going to need to plan without Armstrong, Adams and Mara so we need a hell of a lot up top. I hope we see more of SAA and Edozie next season, but we will need a hell of a lot of incomings to remain competitive to any decent level.

Edited by S-Clarke

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

New GK

Charles - - New CM

Stewart

Id really like us to try and sign Ben Sheaf, But i imagine he'll have alot better offers.

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree, I feel more secure with two CM's in a pivot like that. The back 4 are less exposed and it's more balanced. You can then let the AMC's do what the AMC's do and drive forward, rather than worry about what's behind them.

I'm not sure we'll have that exact team though, I think we'll be getting a new CB as I can't see Bednarek sticking around, last year of his contract so the club will need to return some investment on him. 

The lack of width on the right of the midfield worries me though, you're asking a lot of Bree (who is very, very limited) to provide the attacking outlet that Fraser will provide from the left. (I'm not counting on Armstrong, as I believe the club will be forced to sell given his contract situation)

So...I think when the dust settles we'll end up needing a new GK, new CB, new FB x2, New CM, New AMC (if Charly stays, no new AMC). New Wide Right player, as in a proper purchased replacement for Tella. New ST.

I don't think we can count on Stewart being a first choice player for us, we're going to need to plan without Armstrong, Adams and Mara so we need a hell of a lot up top. I hope we see more of SAA and Edozie next season, but we will need a hell of a lot of incomings to remain competitive to any decent level.

Don’t disagree with any of that. My team was just an example of the skeleton we could realistically build around without further signings. Beyond the obvious need for a GK, CM and AM, as you say I’d ask for two better FB and another AM, ST and CB.