Blackburn 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

They tore Sunderland to threads in the last game, not really sure what to expect. We should beat them if we're honest, I'd put them on par with a Stoke or a Swansea style team in terms of quality.

We need some wins back to back to just get some momentum, getting an away win and going into 3 home games is a good opportunity to do just that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They tore Sunderland to threads in the last game, not really sure what to expect. We should beat them if we're honest, I'd put them on par with a Stoke or a Swansea style team in terms of quality.

We need some wins back to back to just get some momentum, getting an away win and going into 3 home games is a good opportunity to do just that.

Over It Comedy GIF by Superstore

• Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Blackburn v Brave Saints - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic

New ground so I’m looking forward to the trip despite the shit form - don’t think we’ve played up there since 2005. 

Fuck knows what line up he’ll play and pointless trying to make any predictions with this charlatan in charge. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Stephens  

Stephens  Stephens Stephens Stephens

Stephens Stephens Stephens

Stephens Stephens Stephens

No chance. He'll play Bazunu in goal when we defend, switching to a No 9 when we attack.

• Haha 1

They tore Ipswich apart last week too. Till ipswich scored against the run of play (again). At least they're unlikely to park the bus and it should be open.

Edited by chownie20
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bakovnetski said:

No chance. He'll play Bazunu in goal when we defend, switching to a No 9 when we attack.

He needs a proven finisher in the number nine role. A man who can swing a banjo and mean it.

51 minutes ago, LGTL said:

New ground so I’m looking forward to the trip despite the shit form - don’t think we’ve played up there since 2005. 

Fuck knows what line up he’ll play and pointless trying to make any predictions with this charlatan in charge. 

Looks like we've sold about 2300 , not bad really , 2100 in half the lower tier and couple of hundred in upper tier above, it was one of the grounds we'd take very few to in the 90s, I'll always associate Ewood Park with this goal, classic Saints score goal of the season and still manage to lose 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JRM said:

Looks like we've sold about 2300 , not bad really , 2100 in half the lower tier and couple of hundred in upper tier above, it was one of the grounds we'd take very few to in the 90s, I'll always associate Ewood Park with this goal, classic Saints score goal of the season and still manage to lose 

I remember that game well. That was in the days when we used to go to away games.

46 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Can’t muster any enthusiasm up for this one.  Martin has knocked it all out of me.  Wonder what fucking revolutionary idea he’s got for this game, the fucking arrogant prick.

KWP in for Bazunu? 

Went up there in 1984 cup game Blackburn 0-1 Saints,  D Armstrong. Great away day.

Rest of games this season will be draws. Too negative, yes we can score here and there but late goals, mistakes, stupid back passes. Injuries and low energy football provide opportunity for opposition. The one thing in Saints favour is a lot of teams that have won play off final or get there are the worst or weakest, seen as easiest to beat of the 3rd to 6th place teams. 

8 hours ago, die Mannyschaft said:

Went up there in 1984 cup game Blackburn 0-1 Saints,  D Armstrong. Great away day.

Rest of games this season will be draws. Too negative, yes we can score here and there but late goals, mistakes, stupid back passes. Injuries and low energy football provide opportunity for opposition. The one thing in Saints favour is a lot of teams that have won play off final or get there are the worst or weakest, seen as easiest to beat of the 3rd to 6th place teams. 

Yes I was there in 1984 ! Great game .

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The Ipswich game really was a shocker and I have little hope that this will be any different. 1-1 at best but probably 2-1 to Blackburn with a late goal.

Shocker in what sense? We certainly didn't play badly or get blown away, far from it. We were miles better than Ipswich and that's my main frustration, we beat ourselves rather than Ipswich tonking us.

• Like 6

Our form has been pretty poor of late w5 d1 l4 last 10 games. Over a 46 game season 73 points so might just about have made play offs. Right at the time when we should be kicking on with everyone fully onboard with Russball it all seems to have fallen off a cliff. Blackburn need a win so will be well up for it. Expect the usual script lots of the ball, concede a soft goal well score probably be a draw 

12 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Can’t muster any enthusiasm up for this one.  Martin has knocked it all out of me.  Wonder what fucking revolutionary idea he’s got for this game, the fucking arrogant prick.

It will likely involve latent anger, obsessive pre-match grooming, and Ryan Manning.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Shocker in what sense? We certainly didn't play badly or get blown away, far from it. We were miles better than Ipswich and that's my main frustration, we beat ourselves rather than Ipswich tonking us.

Maybe he means 'shocker' in terms of exactly the same failings over and over again. Score, dominate, fail to take chances, let in sloppy late goals.

We should be planning for the play offs now so a chance to try out some of the youngsters and give Lumley a try in goal. The results of individual games are no longer as important and our focus should be on getting ready for 2 huge matches leading hopefully to a massive final. The play off games may need some tactical tweaks rather than carrying on as we are which clearly risks us throwing away good positions through lack of in-game management. Time for RM to admit the flaws in his one system game plan and introduce some alternatives - he could learn a lot from the Ipswich manager who managed to turn a likely defeat into a stunning victory by changing things. I won't hold my breath.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, saintant said:

We should be planning for the play offs now so a chance to try out some of the youngsters and give Lumley a try in goal. The results of individual games are no longer as important and our focus should be on getting ready for 2 huge matches leading hopefully to a massive final. The play off games may need some tactical tweaks rather than carrying on as we are which clearly risks us throwing away good positions through lack of in-game management. Time for RM to admit the flaws in his one system game plan and introduce some alternatives - he could learn a lot from the Ipswich manager who managed to turn a likely defeat into a stunning victory by changing things. I won't hold my breath.

Sorry... what? Surely these two are incompatible, unless you are planning to play teenagers and a failed QPR/Boro goalkeeper who is now winding down his career in the biggest games of our season.

The main focus has to be to settle the defence down, find the right mix up top and get some confidence back into the guys who have declined of late.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Sorry... what? Surely these two are incompatible, unless you are planning to play teenagers and a failed QPR/Boro goalkeeper who is now winding down his career in the biggest games of our season.

The main focus has to be to settle the back four down, find the right front three and get some confidence back into the guys who have declined of late.

So you are assuming none of our youngsters would rise to the occasion?  I've seen bags of promise in Sam Amo-Ameyaw who is nearly 18 now and only one year younger than Kobbie Mainoo who is playing for Man Utd and England. If they're good enough they're old enough.

As to the goalkeeper you talk as though Baz is miles better than Lumley - not from what I've seen so why not give the latter a chance?

This is a chance to try out players with nothing riding on results.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saintant said:

So you are assuming none of our youngsters would rise to the occasion?  I've seen bags of promise in Sam Amo-Ameyaw who is nearly 18 now and only one year younger than Kobbie Mainoo who is playing for Man Utd and England. If they're good enough they're old enough.

As to the goalkeeper you talk as though Baz is miles better than Lumley - not from what I've seen so why not give the latter a chance?

This is a chance to try out players with nothing riding on results.

That's for pre-season in my opinion. We've got to hit these 8 games as well as we can, see if we can get ourselves on another run to create momentum. I don't see these 8 games as a mini preseason for the playoffs, we've just got to keep going with the best 11 we can.

I do believe we have a chance of winning the playoffs if we regain some momentum and we're not going to do that by playing around even more with the 11. These 8 games are still important and there are still things riding on the results - momentum.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coalman said:

"Their keeper looks like he has cement in his boots"

I'm not even mad.

It's odd that even off the back of that one game, other club's supporters can see what some of ours, and our manager, still can't after almost two years. Bizarre. 

• Like 5

It’s a shame Bree is suspended as it’ll mean Walker-Peters will play for sure. It’ll be interesting see after Brees shite clearance then losing his man for the first goal Monday if Martin drops him applying the same logic he did to KWP

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Could we technically not even make the play offs this season? 

We need probably 1 win, 1 draw to get playoffs. Not even a thought that we won't make the playoffs, we have a 10 gap advantage to 6th, 2 games in hand, a miles better GD and only 8 games to play. It will be confirmed within the next couple of weeks I'd have thought.

We will finish stranded in 4th.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Blackburn 0-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic