Blackburn 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We need probably 1 win, 1 draw to get playoffs. Not even a thought that we won't make the playoffs, we have a 10 gap advantage to 6th, 2 games in hand, a miles better GD and only 8 games to play. It will be confirmed within the next couple of weeks I'd have thought.

We will finish stranded in 4th.

we have teams in 7th and 8th at home on consecutive Tuesday so surely not even we can screw this up?

We play Coventry next week currently in 7th 14 points below us if we win that even if we lose Saturday and they win they’ll be 14 points behind us and they’ll have 5 to play. So we’d then have to lose every game and them win every game to over take us. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

we have teams in 7th and 8th at home on consecutive Tuesday so surely not even we can screw this up?

We play Coventry next week currently in 7th 14 points below us if we win that even if we lose Saturday and they win they’ll be 14 points behind us and they’ll have 5 to play. So we’d then have to lose every game and them win every game to over take us. 

We've done some crazy shit in recent years, but that's even beyond us at our worst. I reckon that Cov game will confirm our playoff place.

Hopefully we should be nicely placed for the playoffs. The top three are miles ahead so that should go down to the wire, if it does it is going to be tough for whoever misses out to lift themselves for the semi. Best case scenario is Ipswich just miss out after Leeds beat Saints reserves in the final game then end up having to play Norwich in the semi. It might be an advantage to us to have time to prepare mentally and physically as well as tactically.

Or we could just fuck it up.

• Like 1

I know we have to try and win every game, but in some warped/crazy way, I think the next 8 games or whatever should be used as some sort of pre-season for the playoffs.

Saying that, no doubt we will fuck it all up (as said above) anyway

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, aintforever said:

Hopefully we should be nicely placed for the playoffs. The top three are miles ahead so that should go down to the wire, if it does it is going to be tough for whoever misses out to lift themselves for the semi. Best case scenario is Ipswich just miss out after Leeds beat Saints reserves in the final game then end up having to play Norwich in the semi. It might be an advantage to us to have time to prepare mentally and physically as well as tactically.

Or we could just fuck it up.

I think VAR is used in the play-off final. If it is then it would be best for us to play Ipswich as VAR would undermine their brutal game, especially Morsy who would be off before halftime. Although i don't expect us to win the semi-final, as our history is based on losing at that stage.

1 hour ago, Kenilworthy said:

I think VAR is used in the play-off final. If it is then it would be best for us to play Ipswich as VAR would undermine their brutal game, especially Morsy who would be off before halftime. Although i don't expect us to win the semi-final, as our history is based on losing at that stage.

Based on a sample size of just one though surely...??

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

Based on a sample size of just one though surely...??

We've got into the Semi Finals of the FA Cup twice in the last 10 years and lost both. Semi Finals of the League Cup as recently as last season and lost

And lost the crappy Playoff Semi in 2006 against Derby.

Edited by S-Clarke

28 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We've got into the Semi Finals of the FA Cup twice in the last 10 years and lost both. Semi Finals of the League Cup as recently as last season and lost

And lost the crappy Playoff Semi in 2006 against Derby.

He was clearly talking about play-off semi finals. If you want to bring other competitions into it then history says we won semi-finals of the FA Cup in 1899, 1901, 1976 and 2003, League Cup in 1979 and 2017, Full Members Cup (ZDS) in 1992, Tin Pot Trophy in 2010. We lost in the play-off semis under George F***ing Burley, nothing more needs to be said about that.

3 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

A sad day as Toadhall Saint is gunned down at high noon, outside the saloon. Only later did they realise he was just offering a view of the upcoming fixture. 🙂

Too positive a view for this board?

4 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

A sad day as Toadhall Saint is gunned down at high noon, outside the saloon. Only later did they realise he was just offering a view of the upcoming fixture. 🙂

Took me a 2nd look.

I think Lumley will start after Gavin got hammered by Martin after Monday’s game, although personally I’d use the next few games to get McCarthy fit for the play-offs.

Other than that, if they won’t do that than it’s Charles and Downes in midfield to screen the back four better, there’s enough firepower in wide areas and with Che to win the game. 

Manager massively on probation now, win the play-offs or he’s gone, so stop the experimentation and concentrate on grinding out wins again.

6 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

I think Lumley will start after Gavin got hammered by Martin after Monday’s game, although personally I’d use the next few games to get McCarthy fit for the play-offs.

Other than that, if they won’t do that than it’s Charles and Downes in midfield to screen the back four better, there’s enough firepower in wide areas and with Che to win the game. 

Manager massively on probation now, win the play-offs or he’s gone, so stop the experimentation and concentrate on grinding out wins again.

I think RM is here next season whatever happens.

2 hours ago, saintant said:

I think RM is here next season whatever happens.

Unfortunately I think that's true. Rasmus F*cking Ankersen and his SR motley crew will stick with their vanity project, believing he will become the next Pep and us the next Man City.

F*cking morons.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 03/04/2024 at 10:54, S-Clarke said:

Shocker in what sense? We certainly didn't play badly or get blown away, far from it. We were miles better than Ipswich and that's my main frustration, we beat ourselves rather than Ipswich tonking us.

Well to answer your question, you could argue it was shocking that once again we dominated the game but failed to capitalise and win. Pretty obvious I would have thought.

I don’t think we were ‘miles better’ - just different. And frankly whatever the difference, they must have been better than us because they won and did so without any flukes. There’s a reason they’re league leaders and it’s probably the no nonsense coaching/management IMO. Something we can’t seem to get wholly right.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Unfortunately I think that's true. Rasmus F*cking Ankersen and his SR motley crew will stick with their vanity project, believing he will become the next Pep and us the next Man City.

F*cking morons.

TBH I’m fine with that. If the striker we signed last summer had been fit for more than 20 minutes of this season, I think we’d have gone up automatically. I don’t particularly mind us using Man City as a blueprint for our tactics either, would you prefer we were trying to emulate Big Sam’s Bolton?

• Like 5

I‘m going to this one but worry it will be a bit of a nothing game now we are out of the auto hunt. Hopefully we use these next 8 games to get a settled side and positive momentum. 

It would be nice to stop averaging 2 goals a game against, as per the recent run. I think Bazunu has the 2nd worst save % in the league and has conceded 11.9 goals more than expected (for context our expected goals should be the 3rd least in the league!).

For me that is the main reason why we aren’t going up automatically. Our best 2 CBs are both top 10 in the stats as well. Yes a fit and firing Ross Stewart may have covered that more but we have scored in all but 2 league games and have the 2nd top scorer in the league.

6 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

F*cking morons.

I wonder if they'd sell if a decent offer came in during the summer.

No S Armstrong tomorrow then.

Edited by Master Bates

More fan bashing by the fraud during the press conference this morning. Although this quote stood out for me:

“We haven’t actually given up many chances to concede. We need to sort out both boxes but that’s not tactical or technical, it’s about heart and desire”

He really doesn’t have a fucking clue how to sort out our defensive issues, does he?

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 7

Just now, LGTL said:

More fan bashing by the fraud during the press conference this morning. Although this quote stood out for me:

“We haven’t actually given up many chances to concede. We need to sort out both boxes but that’s not tactical or technical, it’s about heart and desire”

He really doesn’t have a fucking clue how to sort out either, does he?

I would say Adam's missed sitters are technical. He had the wrong body position, wrong touch, poor touch etc - those aren't to do with heart.

Gavin Bazunu's throw in goals are also technical as it's down to a lack of ability, a lack of heart or desire isn't stopping him moving his feet - that's just a lack of technical attributes and speed to get across.

When they start trotting out the heart and desire bollocks it's thin ground.

• Like 1

Stu Armstrong has concussion, will be tested before Tuesday night’s game but will miss Blackburn.

Martin has had a haircut, which he always does when the wheels have fallen off. He made a comment about one of our fans having a go again. Why does he feel the need to address that?

Wilcox going will affect him and his team most he thinks but wishes him all the best.

i agree with Martin that we should have got 6 points over Easter but we didn’t and that’s the difference between us and the top 3, we aren’t ruthless enough and are too soft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

Stu Armstrong has concussion, will be tested before Tuesday night’s game but will miss Blackburn.

Martin has had a haircut, which he always does when the wheels have fallen off. He made a comment about one of our fans having a go again. Why does he feel the need to address that?

Wilcox going will affect him and his team most he thinks but wishes him all the best.

i agree with Martin that we should have got 6 points over Easter but we didn’t and that’s the difference between us and the top 3, we aren’t ruthless enough and are too soft.

It's not a great look when they go defensive like that, Jones was very much the same.

That's what you get with Martin though, when things aren't going well he gets spikey and very, very defensive of everything he does. Adam Blackmore has been given the brunt of that. He's no where near as spikey as Jones (yet), but it's in his makeup for sure.

The best managers won't even bring that up or feel the need to address it as they let themselves do the talking, but the constant need to defend himself comes across as a a lack of confidence and a potential nerve being hit. I'm sure he knows.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's not a great look when they go defensive like that, Jones was very much the same.

That's what you get with Martin though, when things aren't going well he gets spikey and very, very defensive of everything he does. Adam Blackmore has been given the brunt of that. He's no where near as spikey as Jones (yet), but it's in his makeup for sure.

The best managers won't even bring that up or feel the need to address it as they let themselves do the talking, but the constant need to defend himself comes across as a a lack of confidence and a potential nerve being hit. I'm sure he knows.

I dunno, I think it just depends on the manager's personality.

Klopp can be a twat to interviewers, Mourinho was/is incredibly defensive at times. Wenger had his moments too.

• Like 1

Martin Presser (with a fresh hair cut)

• Stu Armstrong out with concussion. Hope to have him back by Tuesday, but will depend on the DRs
  • We never listen to outside noise, same when we were 25 games unbeaten
  • I was bullish and protective of the players on Mon, I had to calm down Janny B due to some of the backlash
  • It was 1 guy, but the players did not deserve it. I needed to protect the players
  • I felt frustrated and upset, only because I care
  • we were amazing for 70-odd mins, we were so good. But Ipswich are a very good team
  • watching it back, we should have been 4 goals ahead.
  • The players are aware of why we didn't get anything from the game, we need to sort that out
  • I believe it will be a brilliant end to the season, we have such a good opportunity to achieve what we need to achieve
  • we have watched this group grow, we watch them train, we appreciate what they are doing and what they have done
  • it is difficult to do it this way, and we have 8 important games left
  • It is equally useless to be over positive also. We lost, we should not have lost, we should have got 6 points from the last 2 games and we have to be better
  • we can still do it, it is there for us, and we have to continue to really want it
  • but, we still need to improve, and saying it is all good is pointless - we lost points and it hurts
  • The chances we have given up are not greater in number compared to the unbeaten run.
  • We simply have to improve in both boxes, we all know this, the players understand this
  • we have had some deep and honest conversations this week, if we do not carry it out this is football
  • If I do not do my job, i get sacked, if the players do not do their job, they dont play
  • It is my fault for not sorting out the deficiencies in both boxes
  • I like Blackburn, they play good stuff, young and athletic
  • They were outstanding in their last game, with other great performances that did not translate into results
  • Their manager is a really good manager, we know him and he is a good person and very smart
  • They are a club with a plan, but having a bit of a reset, and will be desperate to get their new manager's first home win
  • we were so brave at Ipswich, and we do that on Sat we should be OK, it will be exciting
  • Being honest, with Jason going will effect me the most. Doubt it will effect the players, wont effect how we continue at all
  • He is a really good person, there is lots going on still so nothing is sorted legally, the owners here have a job to protect our interests
  • If he goes to United, he will go with good wishes from the playing group, as he was significant in changing the culture at the training ground
  • He is from the Manchester area, and it is Man United, if he goes, we as a group, wish him well
Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

• Stu Armstrong out with concussion. Hope to have him back by Tuesday, but will depend on the DRs
  • I was bullish and protective of the players on Mon, I had to calm down Janny B due to some of the backlash
  • It was 1 guy, but the players did not deserve it. I needed to protect the players
  • we were amazing for 70-odd mins, we were so good. But Ipswich are a very good team
  • The players are aware of why we didn't get anything from the game, we need to sort that out
  • I believe it will be a brilliant end to the season, we have such a good opportunity to achieve what we need to achieve
  • we have watched this group grow, we watch them train, we appreciate what they are doing and what they have done
  • It is equally useless to be over positive also. We lost, we should not have lost, we should have got 6 points from the last 2 games and we have to be better
  • we can still do it, it is there for us, and we have to continue to really want it
  • but, we still need to improve, and saying it is all good is pointless - we lost points and it hurts
  • The chances we have given up are not greater in number compared to the unbeaten run.
  • We simply have to improve in both boxes, we all know this, the players understand this
  • we have had some deep and honest conversations this week, if we do not carry it out this is football
  • If I do not do my job, i get sacked, if the players do not do their job, they dont play
  • They were outstanding in their last game, with other great performances that did not translate into results
  • Their manager is a really good manager, we know him and he is a good person and very smart
  • They are a club with a plan, but having a bit of a reset, and will be desperate to get their new manager's first home win
  • we were so brave at Ipswich, and we do that on Sat we should be OK, it will be exciting
  • Being honest, with Jason going will effect me the most. Doubt it will effect the players, wont effect how we continue at all
  • He is a really good person, there is lots going on still so nothing is sorted legally, the owners here have a job to protect our interests
  • If he goes to United, he will go with good wishes from the playing group, as he was significant in changing the culture at the training ground
  • He is from the Manchester area, and it is Man United, if he goes, we as a group, wish him well

Thanks for posting this.

Sadly its all just waffle, the same old guff...Find a plan b FFS 

We have blown our best chance of getting up, will next seasons early excuse be scar tissue for missing promotion?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

TBH I’m fine with that. If the striker we signed last summer had been fit for more than 20 minutes of this season, I think we’d have gone up automatically. I don’t particularly mind us using Man City as a blueprint for our tactics either, would you prefer we were trying to emulate Big Sam’s Bolton?

Man City advance quickly with the ball, the players move around a lot and find space, and they rarely waste a ball when they are in good crossing positions.  When they haven’t got the ball they hunt on packs and close space.

I don’t think we play anything like Man City.  We are slow, negative and ponderous, shit at finding space and waste so many crosses as our forwards are like fucking statues in the box.  When we haven’t got the ball we gove their wingers time and space to hurt us.  Our marking in the box is fucking awful.  We give our wingers the responsibility to close their wingers instead of our full-backs.  This is RussBall and it is absolute dogshit.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Thanks for posting this.

Sadly its all just waffle, the same old guff...Find a plan b FFS 

We have blown our best chance of getting up, will next seasons early excuse be scar tissue for missing promotion?

This is my issue as well - it's all waffle and never changes which means the mistakes on the pitch never change. It's a load of catch-phrases and cliches without substance and always leaves me feeling that we will continue to throw away winning positions because RM has no intention of doing anything that might rectify the glaring omissions which cause our regular capitulations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

he has hardly ever played football at Championship level. So who knows

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I did see JB having a pop at someone after the game Monday and RM telling him to go away, It looked like he was pointing to someone downstairs around by the halfway line. I hope he knew they were Ipswich fans as we were upstairs 😁 

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

I dunno, I think it just depends on the manager's personality.

Klopp can be a twat to interviewers, Mourinho was/is incredibly defensive at times. Wenger had his moments too.

That is true, they can also be spikey - but they have history to backup them being spikey, I personally don't think Martin is good enough (yet) or has achieved enough (yet) to be as defensive he is about his 'way'. 

Fair enough if he'd won the Champions League with Bayern, Barca and the league with City whilst playing that way, you'd allow him to be a bit defensive to protect his style, but with Martin it's a bit different as he's never achieved anything to be as defensive as he is.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Did he honestly say "we were so brave at Ipswich"? Same old guff. 

He needs to be a lot more positive. The play-offs are only a lottery if you make them a lottery. We have the best team in the league, we have the most exciting players, we get in to great winning positions and from now on we'll show other teams that when we take the lead, we will be looking to extend our lead.

He needs to get this team believing in themselves...yes, there may be better individuals in this league (eg. Dewesbury-Hall, Gnonto), but I genuinely think we can put out the best overall team. 

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If I do not do my job, i get sacked, if the players do not do their job, they dont play

That made me laugh. Baz hasn't been doing his job for most of the season, yet still is constantly picked. Ok, the lack of a decent alternative might be an issue, but total bollocks by Martin all the same.

• Like 1

We will please the manager by having excellent statistics and pass completion and Baz will get beaten in the middle of the goal by powder puff shots. Allied to Che being Che we will lose 2-0. Oh, and we will shoehorn Stephens into a position he clearly isn't right for and Smallbone will run from side to side slowly, looking at the action going on in front of him, occasionally putting out a leg.

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Week in week out he talks complete shit.

What is all this rubbish about how well we train?  Matt le Tiss was one of the world's worst at training and kept this club in the top flight virtually single handed for years.  He does understand that goals win games which wins league points etc etc right?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pip said:

What is all this rubbish about how well we train?  Matt le Tiss was one of the world's worst at training and kept this club in the top flight virtually single handed for years.  He does understand that goals win games which wins league points etc etc right?

Not sure he does understand, Pip. It's all about possession stats. 

Le Tiss tells the story himself that the nearby McDonalds was told that if he came in pre match on a Saturday afternoon, he was only allowed one Big Mac. Makes you think, doesn't it? 😉

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We weren't just "brave" to line up with Bazunu in goal against Ipswich; we were f---ing stupid. How the Ipswich players must have laughed when they saw they were facing this clown again:

So Stu had concussion during the second half on Monday. Even more ridiculous that we didn’t take him off earlier. How did our medical professionals miss that?

He was awful and lost the ball nearly every time he touched it and should’ve come off way earlier, whether or not he was concussed. Incompetent all round. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

So Stu had concussion during the second half on Monday. Even more ridiculous that we didn’t take him off earlier. How did our medical professionals miss that?

He was awful and lost the ball nearly every time he touched it and should’ve come off way earlier, whether or not he was concussed. Incompetent all round. 

I did find that odd, Armstrong is usually blowing after 60 mins anyway and that's been the case for many years now. He should not have been on the pitch at 80mins.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Blackburn 0-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic