Blackburn 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Comfortably in the playoffs. What exactly were you expecting from the season?

Comfortably miles off the top 2 is underachieving with this squad and its potential 

• Like 3

Play with two full backs!

HT changes: Get Manning on for one of your CBs. Leave KWP in his actual position. Then put Armstrong out to the right and get Brooks off for Che, so we might actually have half a chance of holding onto the ball and not immediately getting muscled off of it.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2

Just now, Soton7 said:

Where’s Dean Hammond gone from the co-commentary? It’s all gone downhill since he’s left. He used to be super positive.

He’s got a coaching job, at Worthing I believe. 

• Like 2

Poor refereeing this game again. Every time we make a run they foul us or pull us back, and he lets them do it. Kills our game and wastes time.... to which we played only 2.5min of the allocated 3min stoppage time... and the fact that there was only 3min in itself is laughable.

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The Saints front 3 have been terrible. Nothing is really sticking, and pretty poor on the ball when it is shifted their way

and people moan non stop about Sulemana having no end product.  

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Probably know we're not getting top two and not falling out of the playoffs so why risk injury. Just treat the games as high intensity training sessions.

Agreed but in that case give Dibling, Wragg, or SAA a go. Ideal opportunity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Anyone got a Delorean? That's the only way I'm going to get that 45 minutes of my life back 

Got a Mazda 6. It doesn't time travel but it did pass it's MOT the other day so it's pretty safe.

Just now, Chez said:

Basically, we have dominated as normal and we'd be purring as fans if AA had done his job of tapping in from 8 yards. 

But not the chance where they nearly lobbed the keeper from the (normal) defensive mess up?

Just now, Chez said:

Basically, we have dominated as normal and we'd be purring as fans if AA had done his job of tapping in from 8 yards. 

All fart and no shit. 

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

Comfortably miles off the top 2 is underachieving with this squad and its potential 

Potential does will Promotion outstanding consistent  attacking players and strikers do but we do not seem to have any.

• Confused 2

Boring as fook!  Aribo is only player who is actually playing with any intensity !  Adams on for Brooks ..Armstrong back on the wing and has Rothwell actually toched the ball ?   Our football is so fn boring ! More like a pre season friendly out there !

• Like 2

I'm normally a fan of us being in control, but that was a bit boring.

The ref has made a couple of shocking decisions:

1) Not allowing play to be continued when Aribo eventually managed to set Brooks free with a pass despite being foiled.

2) Somehow penalising Rothwell for a Blackburn player falling over

Hopefully we do a goal or something.

Just now, John B said:

Potential does will Promotion outstanding consistent  attacking players and strikers do but we do not seem to have any.

Pardon?

……

nope still don’t understand it

• Haha 1

Does anyone here genuinely prioritise entertainment above results? If we win this, I'll be delighted. If we lose it, I'll be angry. How we do it or the style of football that achieves either of those is totally irrelevant for me.

But each to their own.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maysie said:

Pardon?

……

I think ''Potential does not win promotion. Outstanding consistent attacking players and strikers do, but we don't have any''.

• Like 1

Just now, maysie said:

Pardon?

……

Potential doesn't will Promotion.   Outstanding consistent, attacking players and strikers do, but we do not seem to have any.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I think ''Potential does not win promotion. Outstanding consistent attacking players and strikers do, but we don't have any''.

I mean, we do have the league's second top scorer who's also the league's highest assister...

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

So?

my point being, the two wingers have done almost nothing, not a dribble, not beaten a man (Brooks did it once) not go behind them, not got to the byeline, not got a cross in...petty much nothing.

Sulemena would do all of those things, but then get slated for not also smashing one in the top corner.

These two do fuck all, yet I don't see similar abuse.

Martin's main objective of massive possession was achieved.

We kept them to minimal chances. The accepted gaps down the flank that Martin allows and a chip from distance.

As expected with the line up, we lacked any kind of passing connection and fluidity from the centre.

We had Fraser and Brooks out there though, as well as KWP pushing up. However, we couldn;t seem to get many passes out to them either.

Brooks had the best couple of run in the half, both of which were fairly early. AA had a very good chance to put us into a lead.

Apart from that, Stephens got an chip in for an Aribo header. As piinted out, noone was there to follow in. The rest of our mobile front 3 elsewhere, rather than having a standard Che player working the middle.)

There's every chance we can win this today. At least we've not dominated with chances as well as possession, getting our hopes up for a standard let down. 🙂 

Just now, Chez said:

my point being, the two wingers have done almost nothing, not a dribble, not beaten a man (Brooks did it once) not go behind them, not got to the byeline, not got a cross in...petty much nothing.

Sulemena would do all of those things, but then get slated for not also smashing one in the top corner.

I think the other 2 have actually scored & contributed, to a level much greater than Sully.

Unless you think otherwise

Just now, Chez said:

I don't think you can generally put that at Frasers door, he has done that a lot this year and has been our best wide option imo. Both wide players have been below par today, but I believe the issue is that there is no link between the midfield and attack as Joe Rothwell has been quite simply horrific.

Bar a couple of home goals, he has been a disaster for us.

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Does anyone here genuinely prioritise entertainment above results? If we win this, I'll be delighted. If we lose it, I'll be angry. How we do it or the style of football that achieves either of those is totally irrelevant for me.

But each to their own.

As an add on, remember how entertaining, exciting and fast Monday's game was? Guess everyone must have been delighted with that?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

But each to their own.

If we won the vast majority of times that we played this way then yes, of course, people wouldn't give a toss... From my perspective this season, the more "entertaining" we've played the better our results...

• Like 3

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

As an add on, remember how entertaining, exciting and fast Monday's game was? Guess everyone must have been delighted with that?

Not really much to purr about, lots of mis placed passes, really slow build up, isolated front 3. 

I don't see much to shout about from that first half, it's been turgid. I know some people will proclaim control, but a better quality side against our lacklustre display today and we're dead.

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think the other 2 have actually scored & contributed, to a level much greater than Sully.

not today they aint.

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

hard to criticise a guy with 20 goals, but he could have 30.

I was talking about the performance not AA. Although he’s far better from out wide, this game isn’t really suiting him through the middle. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Blackburn 0-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic