Blackburn 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

That was a really, really, really terrible performance. No energy, no quality on the ball, no real chances created. Played safe in the middle third and between the back 4.

Blackburn defended well, kept it tight, but we didn't make them think or work. It was truly abysmal.

Way too predictable, way too slow, way too one-dimensional. One of the worst Championship games of the season for any side without a doubt.

This is why I always feared for our 'prolonged' break, it has absolutely killed us dead because it allowed the coaches to over think.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, The very right reverend said:

I can't wait to hear the clowns explanation for this, no way are we going up via the plays offs, no way, we're turgid, akin to Puel's reign.

Puel could set up a defence though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Why the actual fuck did we just pass that sideways and not launch it into the box! 

That’s the effect of the manager I’m afraid..  that was absolutely awful. Out of all the teams in the playoffs we look the worst right now. I hate to say it but we look much better with manning than Stephen’s. No balance whatsoever. I really hope that Martin isn’t here next season.

• Like 5

The constant exclusion of players like Edozie and Sulemana is baffling, as was the swap out of Alcaraz for Rothwell. The only conclusion i can come to is that the manager actively dislikes flair players that take responsibility for getting us forward, carrying the ball up the pitch, playing good through balls etc. If we can't get through the opposition with short sideways passes its no good... seemingly anyway. And what is worse, is that i am sure every single person on here could see we needed to make attacking changes from about 30min into the game, certainly long before we did in the 2nd half. 

• Like 4

Is "clown" the only insult football fans know these days? When did this start? Every player, manager or chairman that isn't doing well is a "clown" as is any fan who happens to disagree with them.

I can’t see us beating WBA, Norwich, Coventry or Hull over two legs, let alone beating any of the top three in a potential final.  I fear we’ll be enduring languid games like this for the foreseeable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Guys could only watch the last 30mins but anyone who watched the full game has my utmost respect as we looked utter shit.

Centre forwards, why are we the only team without one ?

We do - he’s perennially injured.

Better raise our game for Watford or they'll castrate us on the weekend. They've got some serious pace and power in their locker and will be looking at us with knowing full well that even a counter attacking setup should deliver them at least a couple of goals.

AA should score a relatively simple chance in the first half and we probably win the game.

Latter part of the first half and for large chucks of the second half blackburn pressed and fought and as a result we turned the ball over and they had a couple of half chances themselves. Last ten minutes, with Edozie and Sulemana looking lively it was all us, and Adams and KWP had decent chance, but it was too late.  In that period we showed good intensity. Sadly, we didn't show that in the rest of the game. 

I've said it a few times this week. We have a team full of passers and ballplayers, which you need to be a top side, but you also need workrate and bite when you don't have the ball and thats where we are lacking.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Maggie May said:

I can’t see us beating WBA, Norwich, Coventry or Hull over two legs, let alone beating any of the top three in a potential final.  I fear we’ll be enduring languid games like this for the foreseeable. 

looks like we'll be playing skates next season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 points from 9 in the last 3 "must win" games... Simply not good enough... We seem to be regressing rather than progressing... Worrying....

Screenshot_20240406-170222.png

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Martin out 

Yep, a few games left before playoffs and he's still dicking around, no idea who his best 11 are, who to play where, and how to change games with subs. 

Laughable.

• Like 6

That was truly abysmal. Sack that cunt. 

A lot of fucked off people at full time letting the arrogant twat know exactly what we thought. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trousers said:

2 points from 9 in the last 3 "must win" games... Simply not good enough... We seem to be regressing rather rather progressing... Worrying....

I said here come the skates. Again, I will ask. Why 23 games unbeaten, now this shite. ????

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Better raise our game for Watford or they'll castrate us on the weekend. They've got some serious pace and power in their locker and will be looking at us with knowing full well that even a counter attacking setup should deliver them at least a couple of goals.

We’ve got Coventry before them…..that’ll be tougher !

• Haha 1

Well, That was fucking dreadful. Again. 

So many times we beat the press with our defence, cut players out only for the midfield to pass back and put the defence under pressure, killing momentum and bring opposition players back into play. 

often we receive the ball in space in the middle, elect not to move into said space and pass backwards. But I thought the whole idea of passing backwards was to create space to utilise. 

im beginning to think this Martin guy doesn’t actually have a clue. The insistence of playing Stephens and having no proper LB means that we always come inside, have to take a touch and are facing inside when receiving the ball. It kills the left hand attacking threat completely. 

blackburn were fouling and being niggly and breaking up play but they probably looked the most likely to score. Dire, and very Boring to watch. And worst of all it’s just so so predictable. Who wants a bet that the next game will be more of the same? 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:
Is "clown" the only insult football fans know these days? When did this start? Every player, manager or chairman that isn't doing well is a "clown" as is any fan who happens to disagree with them.

Think it started with Pellegrino. He was the king of Clowns.🤡 

Just now, LGTL said:

That was truly abysmal. Sack that cunt. 

A lot of fucked off people at full time letting the arrogant twat know exactly what we thought. 

They'll be the same people whinging about Wilcox showing "NO LOYALTY" though.

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

2 points from 9 in the last 3 "must win" games... Simply not good enough... We seem to be regressing rather than progressing... Worrying....

That table can't be right, surely? Leicester seem to be clear at the top with a game in hand....

• Haha 1

I am far from a football manager, but can RM not just mix it up and rattle the opposition. 

We look like we go into every game with our opponents and manager, knowing exactly how we will play. 

What is wrong with giving the opposition a bit of possession forcing an error and causing chaos on the break. This is not F;:£ing Sunday league level. 

One plan like everyone on this forum says, really worry about getting through the semis let along making Wembley. 

Edited by Saint Gifford

This possession football is so boring- literally sends me to sleep. I've said it all season even during the unbeaten run. Predictable and boring.

Even the Blackburn commentators questioned why, when our players beat the first tackle that they would then turn and go backwards..........

Really not a fan of Martin's style and never will be. Bearing in mind the resources we have the team are massively under performing. Martin out for me whether we go up or syay down - I want to be entertained and we are far from doing that.........

Edited by whiteleySaint30
Mistake
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

They'll be the same people whinging about Wilcox showing "NO LOYALTY" though.

Couldn’t give a fuck about him leaving either. If SR can go too then even better.

• Like 1

It is falling apart at the worst time. 2 points from the last 9, playing shite

We need to get back to what made us tick a few months back, that does not include jack stephens, nor rothwell or Brooks

1 minute ago, Saint Gifford said:

I am far from a football manager, but can RM not just mix it up like and rattle the opposition. 

We look like we go into every game with our opponents and manager, knowing exactly how we will play. 

5 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

a few games left before playoffs and he's still dicking around, no idea who his best 11 are, who to play where

Okey dokey.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

Couldn’t give a fuck about him leaving either. If SR can go too then even better.

Me neither but it's the principle. You can't whinge about one manager (ie Koeman) showing no loyalty but then call another manager every name under the sun and demand he goes.

"Farke has no Plan B . Total fraud coach . No idea what his best 11 is . Needs to be replaced if we go up because hes shown he cant hack it in the top league . Needs to be replaced if we stay down for bottling it !!"

- A comment from the Leeds full time Facebook post. Football fans are hilarious. 

• Like 1

Rothwell has had 4 good touches since he joined us. Other than those goals, he has done nothing.  He is like Ted Mcdonald, without the offsides.

We were very flat until the 2 wingers came on. Like to see them start the next 2 games. 

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is falling apart at the worst time. 2 points from the last 9, playing shite

We need to get back to what made us tick a few months back, that does not include jack stephens, nor rothwell or Brooks

Brooks is such an odd one, clearly very talented but it seems as if we've brought him in because he's 'talented', rather than having an actual fit into our team. He looks so disjointed in our side, can't get into the game, roaming everywhere. 

Only Southampton could make a player like Brooks look bad at this level. Only us.

Rothwell isn't even worth a place on the bench. Hope he stays at Bournemouth in the summer and we don't do something daft like buy him.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anyone want to play Russell Martin bingo?

Terrific performance

Exciting end to the season

So proud of the team

Think he will say we needed to be braver on the ball

• Haha 1