Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Sad thing is Martin will still be here next season

As opposed to what? Some mythical manager who can manage more than 85-90 points in a season, with the likes of Che and Brooks spanking it into the car park every weekend. A lot of these players are nowhere near as good as a lot of people (including themselves) think they are. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Stu's injury is the worst thing of today, going into a season where he's out of contract as well and with the Euro's. There's been talk of him studying law and focusing on that, I reckon he might retire now.

• Sad 2

Just now, Lighthouse said:

As opposed to what? Some mythical manager who can manage more than 85-90 points in a season, with the likes of Che and Brooks spanking it into the car park every weekend. A lot of these players are nowhere near as good as a lot of people (including themselves) think they are. 

Any half decent manager should be getting that amount of points with this squad 

• Like 9

• Lighthouse changed the title to Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
1 minute ago, James said:

Genius for Martin to have left him on. Idiot.

I mean if you're going to blame Martin for that, then you're stretching massively.

Criticise him for genuine things but not nonsense like that.

• Like 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Nonsense. There are only 4 good teams in this league and we are the worst of the 4. 

Our squad is better than 4th. 

• Like 7

Players should be fucking ashamed after that. 21 attempts at goal , drawing would have been unforgivable let alone losing. 

We've mugged ourselves off buying Leicester and Leeds tickets, will be plenty looking to sell on now 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Why do we never seem to have the desire and commitment that teams like Cardiff show ?

Arrogance. It’s the old hard work beats talent adage, or as Strachan used to say, you have to earn the right to do the nice stuff, or words to that effect.

• Like 1

Just now, gammon cheeks said:

Plenty of chances to win the game ..thought Aribo was the most creative player on the pitch and he took him off! Subs done nothing !

Aribo was great, agreed. He was tiring a bit in that 2nd half though, but the subs were shocking.

Once again I don't know what Rothwell is, he's scored some great goals from the advanced position, but he plays like a kitman when he's deeper as a CM. I hope we're not tempted to keep him.

• Like 3

No words for that second half performance.

If we'd won that 5-0 it wouldnt have been a suprise, but somehow we lost that 2-1. Absolutely mind boggling.

We aren't going to win the playoffs, unless we race into a 2-0 lead every game. As soon as the other team put a bit of pressure on us, we crumble.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I mean if you're going to blame Martin for that, then you're stretching massively.

It was clear that he was blowing very early in the second half. Do I blame him for not predicting an ACL injury? No but Stu is so important to us and we know he can’t last multiple full games…

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There was nothing wrong with how we played today, opened them up on numerous occasions and should have been out of sight. As dominant as the PNE game in that first part of the game. Hit the bar, really sloppy finishes from Adams and dallying from Brooks cost us that. Played well enough to have won that 9 times out of 10.

We threw the team shape out of the window in the second half at the expense of winning/getting the goal, and it threw us off course. We tried to force it and then lost the composure we had in the first part of the game.

It was always a pretty much non-thing for us to win every game, so in a weird way it's better that the final nail is delivered today than the last game against Leeds as that would have been psychologically gut-retching

Playoff wise I have no idea what to expect, when the pressure is on and people start to look again this team does seem to buckle and certain players lose their heads/fluff their lines. They're fine when we're on the periphery and coming up from behind, but as soon as we step into the centre stage we lose our heads. And the playoffs are centre stage, all 3 games. Let's see how we handle that pressure, a hell of a lot more than we've had to deal with at any other stage this season.

But this shouldn't happen unless the coach is not up to the level he needs to be. A decent coach would have made fine tuning tweaks and steadied the ship giving us our best chance of winning - might not have worked but it's all about giving yourself the best shot in the heat of the battle. Seems to me there was wholesale panic in the dug-out and that is unacceptable. We could have still won the game after Cardiff equalised but you can't just lose your shit and make crazy decisions.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 4

Disgusting - what a bunch of bottlers.

No way should this team go up - they're pathetic.  

The genius Wilcox bringing in Rothwell and Brooks (when neither were needed) disrupted the squad.  And it's totally disgraceful the young players like SAA and Dibling have barely had a look in despite the players ahead of them underperforming.  Edozie and Sulemana are a disgrace to the shirt.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Any half decent manager should be getting that amount of points with this squad 

With strikers who can't hit a barn door and the three worst goalkeepers to ever play football? I think you need more realistic expectations. The playoffs were the minimum I expected this season and he's delivered that with room to spare. It's been a decent season, just not quite the one we were hoping for.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

No way does Martin get this side through the play offs. 

Not a chance. Every time we’ve had a look in this season we’ve blown it. Squad is mentally weak and Martin is tactically naive and refuses to learn.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Stu's injury is the worst thing of today, going into a season where he's out of contract as well and with the Euro's. There's been talk of him studying law and focusing on that, I reckon he might retire now.

Hopefully he’ll sue Russ for being a fucking cunt.

• Haha 4

Fucking shite. 

Same old story with this club. Never do things the easy way. A golden opportunity to go for promotion and they lose to a team who can't make the playoffs or get relegated. e

Better get used to performances and results like that because they'll be the norm next season. 

Nothing more than a bunch of serial underachievers. 

• Like 1

We've been edged all season and I'm afraid there's no happy ending (yet). We'll see if the playoffs can provide a reprieve for the team, who at the moment look to bottle it a bit when we have a chance to seize the initiative. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Aribo was great, agreed. He was tiring a bit in that 2nd half though, but the subs were shocking.

Once again I don't know what Rothwell is, he's scored some great goals from the advanced position, but he plays like a kitman when he's deeper as a CM. I hope we're not tempted to keep him.

He should have been subbed long before he was. You could see the defeat coming a mile off

• Like 2

1 minute ago, washsaint said:

Disgusting - what a bunch of bottlers.

No way should this team go up - they're pathetic.  

The genius Wilcox bringing in Rothwell and Brooks (when neither were needed) disrupted the squad.  And it's totally disgraceful the young players like SAA and Dibling have barely had a look in despite the players ahead of them underperforming.  Edozie and Sulemana are a disgrace to the shirt.

Yes, I particularly agree about the squad disruption point.

• Like 2

I don't know about picking on Che for not being able to hit a barn door with a banjo, our forward players are like a bloomin' out of tune ukelele band playing different tunes.

And the poster above was right, Stu and KWP were knacked, and we know the former isn't effective beyond about 70 minutes. Good player or not his tiredness means he loses the edge of accuracy, mobility and speed.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about the next few games: looks like we can save that for the play-offs..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Are you taking the piss.  Stevie Wonder could see he was blowing out of his arse, just like he does after an hour in every game.

• Like 2

Should have been out of sight there. The team was well balanced and created more than enough chances to win the game.

My criticism would be after they got to 1-1 Cardiff were the only team that seemed to want it. They really upped their intensity. Then we took off our best midfielder (Aribo) and replaced him with Rothwell which invited Cardiff to overrun us. And finally we just threw every attacking midfielder bar Dibling and wondered why we completely lost our shape.

So, kudos to the manager for setting up the team to win this game and the team for creating great chances. But shit finishing let us down and our second half substitutes didn't alter the game in our favour (the opposite in fact).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

As opposed to a manager who can coach a team to keep a clean sheet? Or who makes sensible team selections to cover for team members who are injured. Or who can adapt tactics to the opposition they are playing instead of thinking they are a genius unwilling to change approach?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

No way does Martin get this side through the play offs. 

That's the worry, I don't think these players have the bottle or mentality for the playoffs - absolute pressure caldron games. If they read this and hate us for saying it then I don't really care, but the proof is in the pudding and whenever the pressure has been on us this season we have fluffed our lines, either through overall performances or our goal scorers panicking.

We're fine when we're chasing and closing on teams, but when that chasing gets us back centre stage we choke. We did it in February when we got to 2nd after not losing for 24, and we've done it today when we once again got to within 1 point of 2nd with equal games.

As much as we like to hope, it's been pretty obvious since Feb that it's 4th for us and nothing else. And as much as I hate to say it, from what I've seen all season it seems pretty obvious that we are a 'gallant' but losing playoff team.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Some emotional overreactions on here. Simple as this: we need to take more of our chances. This could easily have been another Preston if we had.

How many games this season have gone the same way ? How the fuck did we not beat Rotherham or Millwall ? We dominate possession, generally create far more chances than the opposition, but on too many occasions have lacked guile intelligence, or hunger to win. Added to this a defence that, if we get to the last ten minutes with only a slender lead are almost guaranteed to fuck things up.

• Like 2

Well. Perhaps in reality we were hanging by a thread thanks to lots of injury time points gained and it'll turn out that 4th is where we deserve to be. Lots of questions to be answered about whether we should be higher. 

I saw none of it but all those misses is ridiculous when we needed to get across the line. 

I can't recall a game recently where subs have directly helped us. I know we've scored late sometimes but not in terms of shape and pressure. 

I know it's not an attacking change but Charles as a sub would help us keep/regain control of the midfield. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

No words for that second half performance.

If we'd won that 5-0 it wouldnt have been a suprise, but somehow we lost that 2-1. Absolutely mind boggling.

We aren't going to win the playoffs, unless we race into a 2-0 lead every game. As soon as the other team put a bit of pressure on us, we crumble.

The only thing that is mind boggling is that none of us are surprised with how it ended.

The Brooks miss was the one. An open goal to shoot into and he took another touch. Criminal. 

Can you IMAGINE this bunch of losers rocking up to Fratton next season. They’ll murder us. 

• Like 7