Leicester 5-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Right, so the plan is we lose this one (and Leeds) thus ensuring the maximum possible chance of Ipswich dropping into the playoffs. Ipswich then lose to Norwich in the semi final, meanwhile we beat an out of sorts West Brom, kill Phil (sorry Phil), win the final, then go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint and wait for all this to blow over.

• Like 5
  • Haha 15

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Right, so the plan is we lose this one (and Leeds) thus ensuring the maximum possible chance of Ipswich dropping into the playoffs. Ipswich then lose to Norwich in the semi final, meanwhile we beat an out of sorts West Brom, kill Phil (sorry Phil), win the final, then go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint and wait for all this to blow over.

Ipswich have only lost 6 games all season if they’re in the play offs they’ll be massive favourites. Bit of a pointless game for us now, Leicester will probably win after we miss loads of chances then concede a soft goal which will put them within touching distance of promotion. 

• Like 1

this team, club, owners can all go fuck themselves. I'll be climbing a Welsh mountain in the dark while these insufferable tosspots smother any joy I might once have felt watching them, I mean a Welsh mountain, I'm not describing some over weight woman I'm hoping to do a Saints to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ipswich have only lost 6 games all season if they’re in the play offs they’ll be massive favourites. Bit of a pointless game for us now, Leicester will probably win after we miss loads of chances then concede a soft goal which will put them within touching distance of promotion. 

But they've drawn and lost to Norwich ;)

Waste of time, defeat probably, more injuries, more scar tissue. 

Sold out 3300 away end, feels like hard work on a Tuesday night. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

In terms of the play offs that’s my thinking entirely.

We’ll lose 2-0. Not a lot of creation from our end, and a consolation from RM that the boys have been brave all season and just ran out of steam.

Can't see us winning this one after screwing up yesterday as players will be in the wrong mindset. A win yesterday and I'd have fancied us. Downes will probably not play due to his 'slight knock' and with Stu also out the midfield will be weak.  Limp towards the play-offs and I hope we'll give ourselves a fighting chance come the second leg at St Marys. If we make it to Wembley it's about performing on the big day rather than bottling it and we'll likely need a slice of luck.

It’s a ‘big’ game so our bottle jobs will miss countless chances and then concede a late goal or two, same as every time we have a chance to do something good. 

Man… supporting this club really sucks the joy out of you at times. 

• Like 2

Even if we take the lead we’ll implode in the second half and the idiot will make things worse.

Probably play Stephens again whilst leaving Charles on the bench.  I don’t hate the manager, he might be a nice bloke, but I hate him as our manager.

• Like 3

To be fair to Martin he's accepted that THB and Bednarek are our best centre back pairing (now watch him out in Stephens).

Now he's got to get his head around needing more steel in midfield.

He's got the team creating lots of chances. We still allow too many in return.

Nothing the manager can do about our ability to finish though worth noting that both Edozie and Fraser have significantly outperformed their expected goals. I would be tempted to play both instead of Adam Armstrong and Brooks. Both can run their fullbacks ragged.

McCarthy

KWP          THB          Bednarek    Mannjng

Aribo.       Downes.    Charles

Edozie.      Adams.     Fraser

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Win this and Stoke and it's back on.

Would be nice to go to the Leeds game with it still being just about possible.

Sadly I think that game will be a battle of who finishes 3rd

Don't do it to yourself! It was over once we lost to Ipswich away (And the two home games against Hull/Millwall). That meant we put ourselves in a position where we needed to win every game - we couldn't even afford to draw. We can only get 94 points now (seems a bit odd saying only!), Leicester are already on 91 and Ipswich are on 89. Definitely time to really forget about it now. We have consistently been 6 or more points away from the top 2 most of the season, as soon as we get a sniff we choke and it's back to 6+ points again.

Leeds are struggling a bit to finish 2nd now imo. Big game for them tomorrow, can at least watch that without putting pressure on us.

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Jesus wept.

I can see that rat faced vardy now cupping his ear as he runs to the saints fans after scoring the 87th minute winner.

Obviously saints were winning 1-0 and threw it away in the last 20 mins. Goes without saying really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint NL said:

I can see that rat faced vardy now cupping his ear as he runs to the saints fans after scoring the 87th minute winner.

Obviously saints were winning 1-0 and threw it away in the last 20 mins. Goes without saying really.

Textbook. 

Or a late Vestergaard header perhaps unmarked , cross to back post 

16 minutes ago, JRM said:

Didn't notice him get injured as well? 

The injury that causes him to not hit the target when presented with golden opportunities.

The same injury that Adams suffers from, shitfinisheritis.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, whelk said:

I’m going to Leeds. I can’t handle a ‘Jesus wept’ to remind me it is pointless and there is no hope

I'm going to Leicester.

It's pointless and there is no hope.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I'm going to Leicester.

It's pointless and there is no hope.

That’s one of my mantras that I say to myself in the mirror each morning

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

If we win this and then beat Stoke at the weekend, we will be above Ipswich by the time they next play. Just saying. 😉

Yup exactly this. I think Ipswich will get enough points to go up, same as Leicester, but it definitely makes things more interesting. Got to keep the faith!

58 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Yup exactly this. I think Ipswich will get enough points to go up, same as Leicester, but it definitely makes things more interesting. Got to keep the faith!

8 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

7 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Hope Stephens does play, we needed him on the pitch yesterday.

I miss drinking on a Sunday. 

• Haha 4

So if Leeds lose tonight,and Leicester beat us ( which I strongly suspect) Leicester are promoted. 
I really fucking hope Martin and the players feel the pain of failure. 
I’ll  be amazed if we beat them. So weak and fragile. We have no one else to blame but ourselves. 

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

So if Leeds lose tonight,and Leicester beat us ( which I strongly suspect) Leicester are promoted. 
I really fucking hope Martin and the players feel the pain of failure. 
I’ll  be amazed if we beat them. So weak and fragile. We have no one else to blame but ourselves. 

I don't particularly wish to go to a fucking promotion party on Tuesday, so COME ON LEEDS

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

On 20/04/2024 at 22:20, Turkish said:

Not only would Ipswich not be "massive favourites", they wouldn't be favourites at all - we would, and clearly.

• Confused 4

We want Leeds and Leciester out of this division next season, so by that very basis (unless Leeds lose tonight), I wouldn't be massively upset with a defeat.. which we will, because we have no bottle. 

FWIW - Really not impressed with Leciester, they look a pretty average side. What they do have is match winners and fight, as shown Saturday. 

2-1 foxes. 

26 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

Not only would Ipswich not be "massive favourites", they wouldn't be favourites at all - we would, and clearly.

You can react with all the confused faces you like Turkish (😉) but it is a fact - in that scenario, in the real world of cold, hard cash rather than the la la land of this forum, Saints would be clear favourites.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

You can react with all the confused faces you like Turkish (😉) but it is a fact - in that scenario, in the real world of cold, hard cash rather than the la la land of this forum, Saints would be clear favourites.

What about the la-la land of them being seven points clear of us and top two right now?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

How on earth have you come to the conclusion that we would be favoritues against a side which have; 1. beaten us twice 2. finished above us comfortably. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I don't particularly wish to go to a fucking promotion party on Tuesday, so COME ON LEEDS

Might be two promotion parties we go to this season, Leicester and Leeds on the final day. Always the bridesmaid etc ... 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 5-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic