Leeds 1-2 Southampton - Match Thread

Dman

9 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Dead rubber it is then...

No dead rubber for Leeds, they need to go all out for a win and hope for the best elsewhere. They've still got a realistic hope of going up automatically.

Elland Road will be a bearpit, at least early-on, you'll hardly notice a couple of thousand Saints fans tucked up in the corner with 35,000 Leeds fans baying for blood all round the ground. Can only see our ponderous lightweights crumbling in that environment. Still dead rubber for us.

• Like 1

This is as close to a dead rubber as you can get. The idea that Huddersfield the second worst team in the league and already relegated and on the beach, are going to beat Ipswich on their own patch with the premiership in touching distance is for the birds. Elland Road will have an atmosphere as flat as a witches tit, which despite what they like to tell you, often does.

• Haha 3

On reflection I'm glad we fucked it up early doors rather than leaving it until the last day - after 46 games Leeds could miss out by one deflected goal, one dodgy decision.

Ouch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morse said:

This is as close to a dead rubber as you can get. The idea that Huddersfield the second worst team in the league and already relegated and on the beach, are going to beat Ipswich on their own patch with the premiership in touching distance is for the birds. Elland Road will have an atmosphere as flat as a witches tit, which despite what they like to tell you, often does.

Surely ‘as close to a dead rubber as you can get’ would actually  be a dead rubber? Ie It would be mathematically impossible for Leeds to come second.

1 hour ago, Vancouver Saint said:

I'm I the only one who thinks Martin should have played Lumley before McCarthy once we knew Baz was injured?

I thought he was pretty impressive in the early FA Cup games.

I think McCarthy is by far the more experienced keeper and has played well since returning, so I am happy that he was picked over Lumley whose statistics last season were not inspiring.

• Like 7

On 29/04/2024 at 13:56, Sheaf Saint said:

What if we both get promoted?

What if neither of us do?

Both scenarios still entirely possible, and nowhere near as unlikely as you suggest.

So you are anticipating a WBA v Norwich Play-off final then?

It was a dead rubber for us the moment our 4th place was confirmed.  Priority has to be to play so we don’t get any injuries to key players or exert ourselves.

The latter shouldn’t be difficult for Martin to achieve, been doing it all season.

Funnier things have happened than a team in second losing against second bottom.  Huddersfield we’re pretty good at St Mary’s, so Leeds will be going all out for a big win.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

So you are anticipating a WBA v Norwich Play-off final then?

No. 

It's still entirely possible only one of us or Leeds makes the final, and even then there are no guarantees of victory.

So I stand by my assertion that your claim of it being virtually impossible for us to be in the same league next year is just wrong. It's likely that one of us will win the playoff final, but far from a foregone conclusion.

A relegated team are not going to bust a gut to help their Yorkshire rivals. It would be an absolute freak result for Huddersfield to win imo.

Both saints and Leeds are in terrible form so do they want to win build some confidence or does that risk giving away too much ahead of a potential playoff final showdown? 

At least saints have had longer to get their heads around the fact they weren't going up automatically so Leeds maybe the version of ourselves at Leicester. 

It's risky taking bad form into the playoffs as at least one team will have some momentum. It takes a lot of bravery and confidence to play the Russell Martin way so it does concern me especially if we lose easily against Leeds. 

Posted (edited)

I'll go 2-1 to Leeds in the battle of the chokers. They are poor but we are even poorer.

The Norwich and WBA games are a lot more interesting. I think Norwich will do enough to face us in the semi.

Edited by Cabrone

this will interesting to watch purely to see whose fans are the most despondent.

At least we have had a few games to realise it and so have our players, I would get a weird sense of enjoyment watching the leeds fans emotions for this game, they arent the most optimistic at the best of times.

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

At least Ipswich scoring after 20 minutes will give Saints fans something to sing about on the day.

Yeah can’t wait for 

Premier League and you fucked it up…

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

It was a dead rubber for us the moment our 4th place was confirmed.  Priority has to be to play so we don’t get any injuries to key players or exert ourselves.

The latter shouldn’t be difficult for Martin to achieve, been doing it all season.

Funnier things have happened than a team in second losing against second bottom.  Huddersfield were pretty good at St Mary’s, so Leeds will be going all out for a big win.

The same Leeds who had promotion in their hands until they got dicked at QPR?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Funnier things have happened than a team in second losing against second bottom.

Huddersfield we’re pretty good at St Mary’s, so Leeds will be going all out for a big win.

Ipswich have got themselves a final game that is pretty much identical to ours vs Coventry all those years ago.

If I remember we needed a point to be sure and we played at home the second bottom team who were already down. We know the rest.

Honestly Ipswich will smash them, Huddersfield will not stand in the way, with Leeds failing giving Huddersfield fans something to sing about anyway.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I get you but Leeds have no choice but to go all out for the win. If they are aggressive and play to their abilities we will be getting a smashing

I’m anticipating a smashing regardless! I just don’t see Leeds players and crowd being bang on it when promotion is all but gone. They weren’t on it when it was in their hands.

I always had a feel that this game would be a total dead rubber, but if I'm honest I thought it would have been because Leeds had wrapped it up - no idea what happened to them.

They're obviously very strong for the playoffs - maybe the best of the 4. It's not good for us that we may have to get past them in a final., as they have so many weapons on the break that are our kryptonite. 

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I always had a feel that this game would be a total dead rubber, but if I'm honest I thought it would have been because Leeds had wrapped it up - no idea what happened to them.

They're obviously very strong for the playoffs - maybe the best of the 4. It's not good for us that we may have to get past them in a final., as they have so many weapons on the break that are our kryptonite. 

and our answer to that will be to pass it around for 90 minutes in our own box. We all know how that ends

2 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Yeah can’t wait for 

Premier League and you fucked it up…

Is that us singing at them, or them at us - or both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Ipswich have got themselves a final game that is pretty much identical to ours vs Coventry all those years ago.

If I remember we needed a point to be sure and we played at home the second bottom team who were already down. We know the rest.

Honestly Ipswich will smash them, Huddersfield will not stand in the way, with Leeds failing giving Huddersfield fans something to sing about anyway.

I agree that is the likely scenario but you never know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

All I know is there will be loads in the crowd bringing their transistor radios keeping us up to date

39 minutes ago, whelk said:

Still one of the funniest things was ManCity getting a scoreline through from crowd and keeping the ball when was incorrect and they needed to score to avoid relegation 

with Alan Ball as manager https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/man-city-relegated-liverpool-1996-24035129

One of many reasons to love Bally

8 hours ago, lambtiss said:

I think McCarthy is by far the more experienced keeper and has played well since returning, so I am happy that he was picked over Lumley whose statistics last season were not inspiring.

Eight goals conceded in the last three games?

13 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Eight goals conceded in the last three games?

Or even 8 conceded in the last 4 games. I am no fan of McCarthy but to be fair he hasn't done bad apart from Leicester, and I'm not sure you could blame him much for those goals. Can't see that Lumley would have done much better, but of course we'll never know.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Or even 8 conceded in the last 4 games. I am no fan of McCarthy but to be fair he hasn't done bad apart from Leicester, and I'm not sure you could blame him much for those goals. Can't see that Lumley would have done much better, but of course we'll never know.

He’d have done well to concede against Preston, they were the worst side to come to St Mary’s this season. I think they’re joint bottom of the form table with Rotherham at the moment.

32 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I don’t blame him much for any of them but it’s a similar pattern to last season. I just don’t think that Bazunu would have got off so lightly.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rallyboy said:

On reflection I'm glad we fucked it up early doors rather than leaving it until the last day - after 46 games Leeds could miss out by one deflected goal, one dodgy decision.

Ouch.

My nightmare was that we would miss out by Baz punting that ball up the pitch at Ipswich, instead of rolling it out to Downes! 

Missing out by 9 points is more manageable. 

As for Saturday,  play Charles instead of Downes. If Charles is underperformed, don't haul him off after 45 minutes. Tell him what he is doing wrong and give him time to put it write. 

No Brooks or Rowthorne to start, they are only good of the bench. 

AA, Adams and Fraser up front. It is our best combo.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Many have remarked that this is " a meaningless game ", and whilst that maybe true from Saints' viewpoint, it's desperately important for Leeds.

Whilst they have a superior GD , they must beat us to get promotion, whilst hoping Ipswich will lose, as even a draw will be enough for Ipswich to go up.

With the prospect of winning the play-offs is a big challenge without Gavin Bazunu and Stuart Armstrong's availability,  it's the last chance for those

" bench candidates"  to impress RM before he chooses his starting side for the  play-offs.   Although some may think he is... "doing Leeds a  favour "

if he plays too many of the " second string " an appears to play....an understrength side.  

In truth... he may be trying to " protect " those key players who will be needed for the next 3 weeks  and who are vital whilst we still have the chance

to get the final promotion spot.   I think we should be glad if  everyone gets through the match without injuries.

It seems RM has settled for Macca as the keeper for the play-offs, so he should surely give Joe Lumley an outing in this " meaningless match".

We older fans who recall the successful Leeds' sides of the 1960'-70's  may also remember the oft-quoted comment that Leeds were... " tough, but fair ".

Something their fans regularly  ignored when they would provoke visiting sides...  ( like LIverpool .. ) with chants of ..,,." you'll never walk again " . 

I think this may be a very tough match, and not  particulary fair, either.

Edited by david in sweden
omission

Play a team made up of fringe players and youngsters. There's nothing in this game for us so if they hammer us at least it won't be the team they may face at Wembley so no dent to our already frail confidence plus we don't want to risk injuries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

Many have remarked that this is " a meaningless game ", and whilst that maybe true from Saints' viewpoint, it's desperately important for Leeds.

Whilst they have a superior GD , they must beat us to get promotion, whilst hoping Ipswich will lose, as even a draw will be enough for Ipswich to go up.

With the prospect of winning the play-offs is a big challenge without Gavin Bazunu and Stuart Armstrong's availability,  it's the last chance for those

" bench candidates"  to impress RM before he chooses his starting side for the  play-offs.   Although some may think he is... "doing Leeds a  favour "

if he plays too many of the " second string " an appears to play....an understrength side.  

In truth... he may be trying to " protect " those key players who will be needed for the next 3 weeks  and who are vital whilst we still have the chance

to get the final promotion spot.   I think we should be glad if  everyone gets through the match without injuries.

It seems RM has settled for Macca as the keeper for the play-offs, so he should surely give Joe Lumley an outing in this " meaningless match".

We older fans who recall the successful Leeds' sides of the 1960'-70's  may also remember the oft-quoted comment that Leeds were... " tough, but fair ".

Something their fans regularly  ignored when they would provoke visiting sides...  ( like LIverpool .. ) with chants of ..,,." you'll never walk again " . 

I think this may be a very tough match, and not  particulary fair, either.

Quite the opposite. We must have a settled side going into the playoffs. This is no time to give the also-rans a run out. We have lost three games in a row and this is no time to deliberately make it four.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Quite the opposite. We must have a settled side going into the playoffs. This is no time to give the also-rans a run out. We have lost three games in a row and this is no time to deliberately make it four.

And if we play a strong side and get hammered and pick up injuries is it a risk worth taking? Don't get me wrong I get what you're saying about not wanting to lose 4 in a row. I guess you have to decide which is the more damaging scenario. For me it's another possible hammering of the first team and injuries to key players so I'd play a weakened side for this one.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, saintant said:

And if we play a strong side and get hammered and pick up injuries is it a risk worth taking? Don't get me wrong I get what you're saying about not wanting to lose 4 in a row. I guess you have to decide which is the more damaging scenario. For me it's another possible hammering of the first team and injuries to key players so I'd play a weakened side for this one.

If you’re too scared to play you’ve already lost. We would be off the pace in the next game against a team which has been going flat out. Losing is a habit that’s hard to break.

15 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I don’t blame him much for any of them but it’s a similar pattern to last season. I just don’t think that Bazunu would have got off so lightly.

McCarthy made 3 or 4 decent-ish saves against Stoke that kept the scoreline down. None of them were exceptional - they were all the sort of saves you expect a competent keeper at this level to make - but the kind of shots that Baz seems to let in frequently.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 1-2 Southampton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic