Saints 3-1 West Brom - Match Thread

Disco Stu

Posted (edited)

So to be clear, would a yellow card for either Harwood-Bellis or Downes result in a suspension or is it a clean slate? Going to be a nervy affair, the team will need our support. I'll be more confident with Che back leading the line. Come on Saints!

Edited by Disco Stu

• Disco Stu changed the title to Saints vs West Brom - Friday 17th May 8pm
7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So to be clear, would a yellow card for either Harwood-Bellis or Downes result in a suspension or is it a clean slate? Going to be a nervy affair, the team will need our support. I'll be more confident with Che back leading the line. Come on Saints!

I tried to look it up but found nothing. I think the next two games are seen as an extension to the regular season. 

A red card on Friday would mean missing the next match or three.

• Like 1

I'd go back to 4 at the back for the home game.

McCarthy, KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning, Downes, Aribo, Smallbone, Fraser, AA, Adams/Stewart.

Guaranteed Stephens will play though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Is there a formation where we could get all 3 of A.Armstrong, Adams and Stewart on the pitch at the same time...? I just think that having Armstrong's and Adam's industry and tenacity sitting in-between Ross up top and Downes + Aribo behind them could be really effective.... Something like this maybe...?

McCarthy

KWP - THB - Bednarek - Stephens - Manning

Downes - Aribo

A.Armstrong - Adams

Stewart

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

What we won’t see Friday is us coming out of the blocks like greyhound’s as West Brom did today. We’ll be treated to slow and predictable patterns of play that will probably terrify them🙄

• Confused 3

4 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

What we won’t see Friday is us coming out of the blocks like greyhound’s as West Brom did today. We’ll be treated to slow and predictable patterns of play that will probably terrify them🙄

I'll wager a pint of your choice that we come out of the blocks with direct attacking intent on Friday.

• Like 8

West Brom will come here to frustrate, sit deep and catch up on the break or from a set piece. If we get an early goal we should win comfortably if we don’t It’s going to be a very tense evening. Hopefully Adams is back we missed him today because whilst he’s not great Mara is a huge drop 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

I'll have to dust off my sofa, because if it goes to penalties that's where I'll be hiding behind.

Funny you should say that the U11s team I coach had a penalty shoot out today. the first kid who is a very good player side football the ball really softly down the middle and the other keeper simply picked it up. When I asked him what he’d done he said he’d given the keeper the eye and rolled it down the middle like Jorginho does but the keeper didn’t move, FFS 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

West Brom will come here to frustrate, sit deep and catch up on the break or from a set piece. If we get an early goal we should win comfortably if we don’t It’s going to be a very tense evening. Hopefully Adams is back we missed him today because whilst he’s not great Mara is a huge drop 

Definitely missed Che Adams and Stuart Armstrong today. 

A fit Adams on Friday night would be good news, West Brom will fancy their chances on the break as we give the ball away so cheaply , would expect them to press the back 4 as we looked vulnerable trying to knock it about at times. 

Need the whole stadium to get the atmosphere going, for the first 10 mins today most of the WBA fans were on their feet , decent home support but hopefully we can better that on Friday.

4 hours ago, trousers said:

Is there a formation where we could get all 3 of A.Armstrong, Adams and Stewart on the pitch at the same time...? I just think that having Armstrong's and Adam's industry and tenacity sitting in-between Ross up top and Downes + Aribo behind them could be really effective.... Something like this maybe...?

McCarthy

KWP - THB - Bednarek - Stephens - Manning

Downes - Aribo

A.Armstrong - Adams

Stewart

Why do you want three CBs at home?  Stephens to get some splinters.  With only Flynn and Big Joe in midfield, we’ll be overrun.  I’d start Charles or (so long as he is docked £10,000 each time he passes backwards and £1,000 each time he passes sideways) Smallbone alongside those two.  LND will come on from the bench, not start.  I’d not have Manning or Stephens exposed to their wingers;  Bree at LB for me with Fraser or Edozie to start on the left in front of him.  Start aggressively and with pace and we’ll be 3:0 up before WBA know what has hit them.

Probably switch to a back 4 with KWP at left back. Their right winger seemed like their best player. Shoehorn can do right back.

Armstrong, Adams and Fraser up top.

Shame Stu Armstrong isn't fit :(

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, benjii said:

Shame Stu Armstrong isn't fit

Given there's only 19 days between the play off final and the start of the Euros, I'm wondering if there's an outside chance of Stu being available for the final, if we were to make it to Wembley... (Based on Martin saying at the time  that Stu's injury wasn't as bad as they first feared and that he was hopeful he could be ready for the Euros.)

8 hours ago, benjii said:

Probably switch to a back 4 with KWP at left back. Their right winger seemed like their best player. Shoehorn can do right back.

Armstrong, Adams and Fraser up top.

Shame Stu Armstrong isn't fit :(

Bree is very good at RB, he should start there with KWP at left. Stephens on the bench where he deserves to be based on his performance. 

No coincidence that THB has dropped off since the defence has been messed with repeatedly when Stephens came back. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Suhari said:

Great weekend of sport to enjoy, with the boxing on Saturday.

I think we'll have a nervous start, but end up comfortable.

3-1.

The big fight was last Saturday, Saints v Pompey. Lewie Edmondson with an easy win for red and white.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

If I had to pick out a something to train in for Friday it was the vulnerability exposed whilst defending against Tom Fellows.

Fellows got enough space from Ryan Manning to put in several excellent goal chance creating crosses.

Ryans ( our) style is to encourage his winger to go wide away from goal, but yesterday all the talented Fellows had to do was push the ball forward a bit to have enough space to cross. No particular skill required. if I was Corboran I’d give him the ball lots more.,

Unfortunately that ingrained defensive instinct can compromises ability to stop crosses. Has done all season. It’s why many on here bemoan his defending - but It’s most certainly due to the requirement that Ryan participate in our attacks much more than a standard LB - such that at breakdown ( when we lose possession) he is often out of optimal defensive position - so his first instinct is to get compact.

It’s easy to compare and contrast with Bree who appears better defensively because he attacks less - so is less often out of position - and is more likely to be close to his winger on turnaround to make crosses harder. 

Given Fellows is a threat I think I’d prefer Bree on him for Friday even if that foregoes our attacking potency a bit. I think we have enough attacking intent across the team without the need to compromise our left flank when out of possession. 
Alternately ask Ryan to curb his attacking enthusiasm. 
OR and this is more likely imo - revert to a back four. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

If I had to pick out a something to train from Friday it was the vulnerability exposed whilst defending against Tom Fellows.

Fellows got enough space from Ryan Manning to put in several excellent goal chance creating crosses.

Ryans ( our) style is to encourage his winger to go wide away from goal, but yesterday all the talented Fellows had to do was push the ball forward a bit to have enough space to cross. No particular skill required. if I was Corboran I’d give him the ball lots more.,

Unfortunately that ingrained defensive instinct can compromises ability to stop crosses. Has done all season. It’s why many on here bemoan his defending - but It’s most certainly due to the requirement that Ryan participate in our attacks much more than a standard LB - such that at breakdown ( when we lose possession) he is often out of optimal defensive position - so his first instinct is to get compact.

It’s easy to compare and contrast with Bree who appears better defensively because he attacks less - so is less often out of position - and is more likely to be close to his winger on turnaround to make crosses harder. 

Given Fellows is a threat I think I’d prefer Bree on him for Friday even if that foregoes our attacking potency a bit. I think we have enough attacking intent across the team without the need to compromise our left flank when out of possession. 

No doubt Manning looks poorer as his starting positions to support, and tuck in in the other formation, mean he's always having to run back, then get into a defensive position and then make a difference.

That said, he is beaten quite a bit even on the shorter runs back as well.

Agree that Bree is the better defender, in part for exactly the reasons you say. Our problem in getting the ball out from midfield into attacking positions, worse since Stu and Baz went out (arguably as Stephens came in), means Manning's not adding as much in an attacking sense either.

However, if RM is planning a home switch to 4-3-3 to blow WBA away in the first half, then I'd go with Manning. The more help our midfield gets the better. If it means he looks as if he's caught out defensively, while we still get attacks then I'd be happy with that. Can get a nice lead and then switch to Bree.

I'd also worry about conceding ground to Fellows with a more defensive player on that side, as it may create spaces for Fellows to exploit.

• Like 1

Leave Stephens out cos he made a number of howlers yesterday and was generally crap. Go back to a back four with KWP / THB / Bednarek / Bree. Apparently we're supposed to accept Manning's poor defending in return for him offering more of an attacking threat, but every time he got forward yesterday, he would invariably just stop and pass it back infield to Aribo instead of actually doing something with it. So if he can't defend, and offers nothing in attack, what's the point of having him in the team?

Leave Mara out completely. I know we were hamstrung by the injury to Che, but seriously his performance yesterday was worse than bad. There was a moment in the first half when Arma had busted a gut to press a WBA defender and he succeeded in stopping him from playing the ball he wanted to play. It broke towards their RB and all Mara had to do was copy the effort of Arma to get there first, and between them both they could have put some serious pressure on their goal. But he just jogged over and by the time he got there the defender had cleared it. Fucking pathetic, and you could see how pissed Arma was that he had done his bit but Mara couldn't be bothered. I'll honestly be happy if I never see him play for us again. He's clearly got ability, but his application is just shocking.

• Like 8

However, if RM is planning a home switch to 4-3-3 to blow WBA away in the first half, then I'd go with Manning.

Except we played rubbish with him v Stoke and v Cardiff in that supposedly more attacking formation. It’s a conundrum all right! I rate Ryan as technically a better player than Bree but in this case it’s not about the player as much as what formation RM decides - that then auto selects the right player. 

Thought they (WBA) did well to keep chasing the ball in that heat - although as someone said earlier, how much it's taken out of them physically we won't know until Friday.  I thought they also stepped right on to us in the last 20 mins or so, and the passing around at the back became flatter and more frantic as we failed to adjust - and I don't just mean in our own area - there were a number of times on the half way line where the final pass would put THB under huge pressure to not lose possession.  That will need looking at before the second leg.

Reassuring to see balls pumped (or chucked) into the box and our keeper dealing with them (Millwall home game in comparison).  Finally as has been said many times, Mara's lack of effort in a game of this importance was shocking.  

• Like 1

Was reassured by Alex last few games. Obviously despite not playing much he’s still a good pro. And a good keeper. He has done his career chances a lot of good these last two performances. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Leave Mara out completely. I know we were hamstrung by the injury to Che, but seriously his performance yesterday was worse than bad. There was a moment in the first half when Arma had busted a gut to press a WBA defender and he succeeded in stopping him from playing the ball he wanted to play. It broke towards their RB and all Mara had to do was copy the effort of Arma to get there first, and between them both they could have put some serious pressure on their goal. But he just jogged over and by the time he got there the defender had cleared it. Fucking pathetic, and you could see how pissed Arma was that he had done his bit but Mara couldn't be bothered. I'll honestly be happy if I never see him play for us again. He's clearly got ability, but his application is just shocking.

I remember that from AA. We needed some intensity from Mara. At least enough to support AA. Plus dropping back to allow us to create passing options. Mara does know he should be doing it. He's just choosing not to/ not sharp enough to influence the game.

8 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

However, if RM is planning a home switch to 4-3-3 to blow WBA away in the first half, then I'd go with Manning.

Except we played rubbish with him v Stoke and v Cardiff in that supposedly more attacking formation. It’s a conundrum all right! I rate Ryan as technically a better player than Bree but in this case it’s not about the player as much as what formation RM decides - that then auto selects the right player. 

Conundrum indeed. Manning is limited if no one around him gives any space for a pass. He's also at fault when another player has it. We then lose the ball and he has to race back. The third centre back should cover. But THB is not his best in a 3 and Stephens is possibly too far up, and was responsible for giving it away.

It would be nice if we could take the best of the 4-3-3, get a comfy lead, then switch to the 3 at the back, since 4-3-3 has proven to be a bit pants at not conceding.

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Was reassured by Alex last few games. Obviously despite not playing much he’s still a good pro. And a good keeper. He has done his career chances a lot of good these last two performances. 

He has.

The club we're desperate to remove him from the wage bill. Basically not playing him. Yet, when we were up against relegation, they brought him in (Baz was shot well before that, and could have been replaced at any time)

Same again this season. Not going to be getting a game. Yet, when Baz gets injured, the club bring him in over Lumley, who was on the bench.

Yes, Martin's style suits Baz's distribution. But  Baz would have played regardless of that. It's not just due to Alex's ability as a goalkeeper, that he's not picked.

Alex is not assured at getting lots of quick passes around his goal. But we do get a lot of improvements in other areas.

We've given ourselves a good chance but this is still very much in the balance. I recall that West Brom played far better at St Marys than they did at home and we were fortunate to beat them. We'll need to be right on our game and certainly cannot afford any passengers like Mara. If Adams is unfit we must start Stewart. Stephens needs to be much more careful with his passing particularly the square ones as he gave the ball away in dangerous situations a few times yesterday.  Fellows is a big concern and we don't really have the means or players to deal with him. Still believe we'll have enough to win but it is unlikely to be a walk in the park.

• Like 3

Not at all confident about this one - we don't tend do well underpressure and it'll be a cadgy atmposhere in SMS, espcially if we don't get off to a good start. 

We're going to have to come out flying imo, a bit like WBA did, get the fans on side early doors. 

I hope and pray the club don't do all that lightshow bollox.. when was the last time we won a game after a lightshow? feels like never. 

I think it'll end up a cadgey 2-0, but I can't put my finger on to whom yet. 

Posted (edited)

The only reason I can see for Mara being played is the same reason Baz had such a long run - the club need him to be in the shop window ready for the summer sales (whether we get promoted or not). Nothing has changed - we’re still a club that needs to turn a profit on youngsters and keeping Mara even on the bench will not serve a purpose. So if Che or AA are not fit for Friday, expect to see Mara in the team ahead of Ross S.

If we go 4 at the back then I would definitely chose Bree who is more likely to contain their attack then Manning who I thought looked leggy and positionally suspect (as usual). Brom seemed to target that side a fair bit knowing full well it’s our weaker side.

I thought Aribo and Downes did a great job in midfield, although I would like to see a little more speed in transition to attack their box - I think they’ve got some suspect defenders but we didn’t exploit those weaknesses enough.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
More…

14 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I'll have to dust off my sofa, because if it goes to penalties that's where I'll be hiding behind.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to take sofas into the ground?

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The only reason I can see for Mara being played is the same reason Baz had such a long run - the club need him to be in the shop window ready for the summer sales (whether we get promoted or not). Nothing has changed - we’re still a club that needs to turn a profit on youngsters and keeping Mara even on the bench will not serve a purpose. So if Che or AA are not fit for Friday, expect to see Mara in the team ahead of Ross S.

That's very obviously not true though. We played Baz because he is our best keeper. We played Mara by default, because our only other two options up front are either injured or coming back from a long injury. Our next best option is the equally useless Sully, playing out of position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Not at all confident about this one - we don't tend do well underpressure and it'll be a cadgy atmposhere in SMS, espcially if we don't get off to a good start. 

We're going to have to come out flying imo, a bit like WBA did, get the fans on side early doors. 

I hope and pray the club don't do all that lightshow bollox.. when was the last time we won a game after a lightshow? feels like never. 

Have to agree about WBA - they were certainly one of the best sides we played at SMS this season. Better than Ipswich Leeds and Norwich anyways imo. Came away from that home match thinking these were a good solid team - and they are. No idea what the score might be. 

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Pretty sure there was a light show before we cruised to victory against Preston. 

I checked out the WBA forum and the overall feeling from reading the posts is that they played well, most people seem happy with the performance and result and feel like they have confidence and a real chance at St Marys.

I couldn't call it either way and yesterday didn't give many clues as it was such a cagey game, if we really show up with aggression and passion, we will do the business, but we can't afford to take our foot off the gas for a second.

Bring on the light show!

• Like 2

I've had this silly feeling since Christmas that Ross Stewart was going to come back to the side in the playoffs and be the catalyst to take us up. Looking at what he brought coming off the bench yesterday: a bit of presence, a bit of height and nearly scoring by actually taking a shot early, I'm really hopeful there's some basis to that 'feeling'. If nothing else, we can start whipping higher balls into the box, when he's on the pitch, with at least some expectation he might get his head onto them, which isn't as true with Che or Arma. We need to start well and try to be confident (but slightly less risky around our own box). There's no point being in the playoffs unless you go for it; nothing worse than going out without a whimper.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

I've had this silly feeling since Christmas that Ross Stewart was going to come back to the side in the playoffs and be the catalyst to take us up. Looking at what he brought coming off the bench yesterday: a bit of presence, a bit of height and nearly scoring by actually taking a shot early, I'm really hopeful there's some basis to that 'feeling'. If nothing else, we can start whipping higher balls into the box, when he's on the pitch, with at least some expectation he might get his head onto them, which isn't as true with Che or Arma. We need to start well and try to be confident (but slightly less risky around our own box). There's no point being in the playoffs unless you go for it; nothing worse than going out without a whimper.

Agree in the small amount of time he had and after such a long injury, Ross looked like he will offer us something we need - a dangerous striker! Also some height in the box.

Regarding the dilly dallying, passing sideways in our own box - I really don't get it. Numerous times yesterday when we were under pressure, we should have just been booting the ball into row Z. I'm no football genius but I just don't get the unnecessary risks we take by doing this. It always leads to us losing the ball and putting ourselves under even more pressure.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gio1saints said:

If I had to pick out a something to train in for Friday it was the vulnerability exposed whilst defending against Tom Fellows.

Alternately ask Ryan to curb his attacking enthusiasm. 
OR and this is more likely imo - revert to a back four. 

Manning was a bit dim yesterday.  Fellows went down the line every time, he looks really one-footed to me.  Manning should have sussed this and defended better against him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

If we go 4 at the back then I would definitely chose Bree who is more likely to contain their attack then Manning who I thought looked leggy and positionally suspect (as usual). Brom seemed to target that side a fair bit knowing full well it’s our weaker side.

I thought Aribo and Downes did a great job in midfield, although I would like to see a little more speed in transition to attack their box - I think they’ve got some suspect defenders but we didn’t exploit those weaknesses enough.

Sorry but that's nonsense.

Martin picked the side he felt best to win (or not lose the game). 

We may not agree with it, but do you really think he would risk 1) his job 2) £ millions for promotion 3) self respect 4) personal pride competitiveness just to make sure we get a little bit more if we sell Mara??

We may disagree, to be fair you couldn't get a consensus on here for any 11 or formation.

I Like to think I'm an expert and great coach ... however, if I'm honest, I reckon he probably knows a bit more than me, particularly about opposition, tactics, fitness etc !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Agree in the small amount of time he had and after such a long injury, Ross looked like he will offer us something we need - a dangerous striker! Also some height in the box.

Regarding the dilly dallying, passing sideways in our own box - I really don't get it. Numerous times yesterday when we were under pressure, we should have just been booting the ball into row Z. I'm no football genius but I just don't get the unnecessary risks we take by doing this. It always leads to us losing the ball and putting ourselves under even more pressure.

Spot on and this is something RM needs to address but I think it goes against his beliefs. It's just a crazy way to play unless you are Man City. As it stands under RM player A receives the ball in a tight spot and passes it to player B in a tighter spot who passes it to player C in an impossible position and he tries to pass it to player D but only succeeds in gifting it to an opponent and risks giving a goal away. In a world of common sense player B or C nips it in the bud and launches the ball into row Z while RM shakes his head in the technical area but most Saints fans heave a collective sigh of relief. I'm not saying play hoof ball but there are clearly times when we should be clearing our lines rather than trying the impossible.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

That's very obviously not true though. We played Baz because he is our best keeper. We played Mara by default, because our only other two options up front are either injured or coming back from a long injury. Our next best option is the equally useless Sully, playing out of position.

Do you really believe Bazunu is a better goalkeeper than McCarthy?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I do agree with this post about the risks taken in our own penalty area.

Saints have been my side for over 60 years and I wish them well and would welcome a return to the Prem.

However,aren't they a mystery sometimes on the way they play under Martin.

And Sundays match was a microcosm of the way they are coached. On several occasions at West Brom they took mind blowing risks in trying to move the ball around in their own penalty area and got away with it by the skin of their teeth !

I do understand I think the strategy and concept of it ; trying to manoeuvre opposing players out of position in order to take an advantage and break out

However at the other end when attacking they seemingly are being coached not to take similar risks. The number of times in the match Sunday and throughout this season we have managed to put a player clear on the touchline and near to goal and almost inevitably that player, be it KWP or Smallbone on the right or Manning or Bree when he plays,on the left will pull it back or sideways across the pitch.

Many times you can see an opportunity to cross the ball first time but this team,coached as they are,will just not do it .

It is an absolute mystery to me that they seemed to have been coached  to take risks near to their own goal but to not at the other end.

• Like 8

The deeper passes work a lot better under Baz than Alex. Even then it has limits. I've seen Baz take care of silly passes (where they're lazily expecting too much of him), as well as others where he has had to hoof it (usually prolonged pressing). He's even had a go on at least one occasion.

Alex needs that extra moment, either to control it or think about the pass. It's a bigger risk and they must instruct the defence to have different positioning and triggers to clear it.

Super when it draws in other teams and we ping it past them. Not happening so much of late for various reasons.

22 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Nothing wrong with boring them to death. Once they switch off for a nap we get at 'em.

Stephens must not play, Manning must not play, Smallbone must not play, Mara must not play, Brooks must not play….. there, sorted. Anybody left?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 West Brom - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic