Norwich Post Match Reaction

Batman

Can we do that now?

Talk of being close to liverpool and having arsenal in our sights is and always was overly mental

Just seem to be playing very average. No where near good enough to grace the top 6 at the mo

Top 6?? not even top half!

We've got the players to do it, but we're a long way off it at the moment.

Today woeful, but against West Brom we looked excellent and against Sunderland just so so. Still long way to go in the season, but today was embarrassing and the worst we've played under Pochettino.

Just because you shell out millions on players doesnt mean they re brilliant. Gaston proves that point.

The lack if goals is worrying. Considering the supposed wealth if attacking talent we have in Lambert, Lallana, Ramirez, Osvaldo and Rodriguez it utterly shameful that we only seem to be to score from pens and dead balls.when you take into account our last 6 games of last season its only one win and 5 goals in 9 matches. When you take into account the standard of the opposition in those games its an awful record.

What the hell is going on with our selections?

Seem to be all over the place

We really need shaw and clyne playing to give us some sort of threat wide, chambers does not give that like clyne

What has happened to the intensity that served us well a few months ago. Just seem so slow getting the ball forward and predictable

Can we do that now?

Talk of being close to liverpool and having arsenal in our sights is and always was overly mental

Just seem to be playing very average. No where near good enough to grace the top 6 at the mo

I kind of always knew that, we are a day in a safe Red Row estate house whilst those two are a Friday night in a Mayfair apartment, who are the **** were the clappers kidding?

The simple facts are we are much more likely to be battling relegation than battling for a European place. If we come in mid table, 10th - 17th then job done. Progress in this league will take a lot, lot longer than in the Championship or League 1. Consolidation over the next 5 or 6 years in this league is good enough (and probably much more realistic) for me.

A very poorly managed game from MP, although being without Clyne and Shaw is a huge blow under our system. Credit to Norwich - a nice side with the pace we lack.

I've bitten my tongue about Ramirez, preferring to settle for "he doesn't suit our style." Now, though, I'm convinced that he's really not a very good player - lightweight, self-centered and lacking in passion. And he doesn't suit our style. We lost a lot when he came on.

What did Redmond do that we didn't? Ran into and attacked space with pace and power. What did he achieve? The win for Norwich. What did we do? Popped the ball around in pointless areas and didn't create anywhere near enough. We need pace and the ability to beat a man in the final third. We had a bit of that with Puncheon, and he was the difference on most occasions last year, but if we don't replace him then we'll achieve absolutely nothing, just bog standard stuff.

It's really frustrating to see us attacking teams, because we just don't do enough. We don't look like scoring at all and that needs to change pretty sharpish.

This was always going to be a tough game, but we should have made a hell of a lot more from it. It was also pretty sad to see Cork and Morgan sat next to each other on the bench at the end, the 2 linchpins of our midfield last year and we kind of looked like a disjointed mess at times in that 2nd half.

Lallana had a good game, why he was subbed is beyond me and Lovren was once again a moan mountain at the back. I thought Lmabert was pretty shocking in terms of giving us an outlet, Wanyama's ball retention was utterly diabolical and he was pointlessly diving in all over the show. Shouldn't have stayed on the pitch.

Osvaldo didn't really do anything, but to be honest we don't really have the pace to get down the sides of teams in order to get the best out of him. He's quite sharp though, not one of those ''take loads of touches'' players, he literately hits everything first time. Chambers and JWP struggled a little today, especially in the 2nd half and didn't offer us anything in terms of creativity. Chambers looks solid enough but not what i'd call an attacking full back.

Fox didn't really do much wrong, although there is always an enormous amount of space in and around him when he plays (Does he smell or something??). But to be honest they didn't really test him enough.

But to cut a long story short, I don't think it's just a ''bonus'' if we sign additional attacking pace, I think it's kind of a necessity. Let's hope the club have something up their sleeves. Look at what someone like Redmond can do.....

Well, for all the heavy spending in the transfer window, we couldn't score even a single goal away to Norwich. Neither did we really have many shots on goal. Norwich appeared to have outhought us tactically and it was them pressing us for much of the match.

My overwhelming feeling since the start of the season is that we are missing Cork. He would have made the difference in controlling the midfield and providing the extra effort to have swung the balance in our favour. I really do struggle to know what is our best team, but if Cork doesn't play, Schneiderlin just isn't the same. And please God, get us Shaw back fit so that we can get shot of Fox, and Clyne back too, if it isn't too much trouble. I'm also waiting to be convinced that Puncheon couldn't have produced something today too.

FFS we are going to lose games as will everyone.Deserved a point today, as for being woeful and embarrasing, unbelievable.Shouldn't have taken Lallana off and badly missed Clyne and Shaw.They were no better than us and for me absoloutly nothing to worry about.Just one of those days, lets face it we dont have many of them.

Negative point - we looked disorganised and lacked midfield control, ( Wanyama's contribution was probably worse than Fox's )

Positive point - we have played 3 matches, 2 away from home, and have 3 more points than the corresponding fixtures last season

Boruc - 5 - One decent save, otherwise he didn't have anything to do apart from pick the ball out of the net.

Chambers - 5 - OK first half, struggled second half. Hopefully Clyne comes back in after the break.

Fonte - 5 - Defended OK, but distribution was atrocious

Lovren - 5 - See Fonte

Fox - 5 - was always going to struggle if only because he was left 2 on 1 most of the match

Wanyama - 4 - Really poor game. Wayward passing and consistent fouls in dangerous areas

JWP - 5 - Not as influential and perhaps a sign he is not ready to start every time yet

Lallana - 6 - Probably our best player, hit the post, but other than that still wants to keep the ball in front of the defence too much.

Lambert - 4 - Anonymous, didn't look much like he'd link up well with Osvaldo at all

Morgan - 4 - Why did he go out wide? I'd guess MP wanted him to help Fox but he didn't do that well at all

Osvaldo - 5 - Lively, tried hard but all too evident that he needs time to get used to how the rest of the team plays.

Subs: Ramirez - 5 - Some decent touches, some bad ones, the usual

Davis - 5 - Didn't really do much

Rodriguez - 5 - ditto. Norwich had resolved to sit deep by the time he came on. Should have come on earlier while Norwich were still chasing the goal IMO.

Looks like the international break came at the right time for us, have to hope we don't play that poorly again this season.

As the 'we don't play with wingers' dullards chorus every time we are linked with someone who plays from midfield with a modicum of pace, our game plan apparently relies on Shaw and Clyne using their undoubted speed to created overlaps and stretch the play. When neither of those players is on the pitch it would be nice to have someone (perhaps left or right of the AM three) with a bit of pace. We don't currently have anyone who fits that description (not even Puncheon was really that quick).

We were dominating teams right left and center. Other teams seemed to be doing what we were. In our faces from the off. Long way to go but not sure we have the right formation. We seem very narrow and afraid to shoot from outside the box. Oh and please let JWP take the direct free kicks. RL your last few have been awful and hit the wall.

We need to keep some perspective. There's a lot of luck in football. The play could have been 100% identical except Lallana's volley is 4 inches to the right and the handball penalty is called. Then we're all talking about a sometimes ugly but effective 2-1 win.

Biggest single plus is that Adam Lallana is clearly back to his 100% best... He was our best player first half of last season, and he's showing it again. I'm shocked he was taken off. I don't think Gaston will play ahead of him again any time soon.

What I would love to see happen is for MP to go back to the core of what made the team great last year. It was built around Lallana, Cork, Schneiderlin. Start with that engine and then figure out how to add to it.

Anyway, I don't think it's likely there will be many afternoons ahead as frustrating as this one.

One simple mistake by the youngster Chambers who had a torrid time with Redmond today cost us. Cant blame him he will get better. We seem to overplay when we are attacking and need to get that sorted possession with purpose is the key.

Worrying thing for me is that we seem to have a lot of players who all look the same and not sure of their positional play. Having Rickie deeper doesn't make sense to me thought we lost something there. Not sure if they should play together. Also thought we missed the pace and running of Rod off Lambert

Close game that could have gone either way. They got that bit of quality with the goal, but we could have matched it if Lallana's shot had crept inside the post. We looked sluggish today. In fairness to Norwich they didn't give us time on the ball, especially after our flurry at the start of the second half. The penalty appeals evened themselves out so no complaints there.

Too many misplaced passes all over the pitch. Thought Wanyama had a poor game and was calling for him to be subbed around the time that Lallana was taken off and would definitely taken him off over Morgan.

No reason to panic after one game but the points above about us struggling to score over the last 8- 10 games is a concern. It's up to MP to sort that out as I believe that we have the players, but we need to find a system that works for them. We definitely didn't have that today.

As the 'we don't play with wingers' dullards chorus every time we are linked with someone who plays from midfield with a modicum of pace, our game plan apparently relies on Shaw and Clyne using their undoubted speed to created overlaps and stretch the play. When neither of those players is on the pitch it would be nice to have someone (perhaps left or right of the AM three) with a bit of pace. We don't currently have anyone who fits that description (not even Puncheon was really that quick).

Well said. The "we don't play wingers" brigade are quite persistent, though. To be honest I'd quite like to have a "winger" plus our attacking full backs back in the side, I don't think the two things are mutually exclusive.

Can't believe we've eschewed the superb Cork-Spider paring for these big-time Charlies.

This. Feel really sorry for Cork, especially when Wanyama struggled as he did today.

This is going to be another season where positions between 8th and 19th (Palace 20th) are going to be extremely tightly contested. Stoke beating WHU, our game could have gone either way today... it's unpredictable!

Positives: Chambers, Lovren, JWP

Negatives: Wanyama, Ramirez, Webb

Can't believe Howard Webb failed to give 2 stonewall penalties today (Johnson Handball, Fonte on Johnson)! He's the best in the world! A very bad day in the office for him...

Well, for all the heavy spending in the transfer window, we couldn't score even a single goal away to Norwich. Neither did we really have many shots on goal. Norwich appeared to have outhought us tactically and it was them pressing us for much of the match.

My overwhelming feeling since the start of the season is that we are missing Cork. He would have made the difference in controlling the midfield and providing the extra effort to have swung the balance in our favour. I really do struggle to know what is our best team, but if Cork doesn't play, Schneiderlin just isn't the same. And please God, get us Shaw back fit so that we can get shot of Fox, and Clyne back too, if it isn't too much trouble. I'm also waiting to be convinced that Puncheon couldn't have produced something today too.

Agree about punch and cork and clyne. Fox had an okay game. We were better going forward under Adkins, we have to work too hard to score. I've not seen anything to say mp is better than Adkins, maybe tighter defensively but that was starting to happen anyway.

We've got the players to do it, but we're a long way off it at the moment.

Today woeful, but against West Brom we looked excellent and against Sunderland just so so. Still long way to go in the season, but today was embarrassing and the worst we've played under Pochettino.

Huge over-reaction !

It was a tight match which could have gone either way and the handball pen which wasn't given could have changed the balance of the game !

Close game that could have gone either way. They got that bit of quality with the goal, but we could have matched it if Lallana's shot had crept inside the post. We looked sluggish today. In fairness to Norwich they didn't give us time on the ball, especially after our flurry at the start of the second half. The penalty appeals evened themselves out so no complaints there.

Too many misplaced passes all over the pitch. Thought Wanyama had a poor game and was calling for him to be subbed around the time that Lallana was taken off and would definitely taken him off over Morgan.

No reason to panic after one game but the points above about us struggling to score over the last 8- 10 games is a concern. It's up to MP to sort that out as I believe that we have the players, but we need to find a system that works for them. We definitely didn't have that today.

Poor performance today. Thought AL and the two CBs looked good but other than that it was pretty rubbish. Taking Lallana off was a bizarre decision, he looked like the only one who was going to create something.

We weren't as dreadful as people are making out, but I'm concerned about our lack of cutting edge. For a while now (and I include the end of last season in this) we just haven't been creating enough chances. Having all the possession is very nice but is ultimately a waste if we can't score any goals!

Defensively we were pretty sound today though, Fonte and Lovren are starting to form a good partnership.