Leicester vs Saints Build Up Thread

Dark Munster

It's a couple of weeks away, but this has been a match of anticipation for a while. They have been unbelievable. If we'd lost today Europe would almost be over, and a loss against Leicester would have a big silver lining of keeping them ahead of Spurs. But with today's epic victory this match is big for both teams. I just hope a win for us doesn't end up meaningless for us at the end of the season, while helping those north London bastards win the league.

True dat. Nightmare scenario: beat Leicester, lose against Spurs, Spurs win the league by a point or two, and we miss out on Europe. :uhoh:

Spurs next 2 games are Liverpool and Man Utd. Any slip ups and Leicester could be out of sight. Hopefully.

Screw them and their title aspirations- 3 pts is what I want, and nothing less even if it means Spurs wins the title :/

I'd like to see same team as today except Mane for Tadic and Wanyama on for Clasie, and also Cedric for Martina, providing no one is out through international injuries. Does anyone know if it's one of those weeks where Senegal play really late and so Mane gets back really late?

532 could potentially be a lethal weapon too- with hopefully Jay Rodriguez and Austin nearing fitness.

Prediction however: LCFC 2-1 SAINTS... :/

Do we ever play well after an international break? We should have beaten Leicester at sms earlier in the season( but we did a Liverpool) but I think we will struggle to get much out of this game if I'm honest.

I am not so sure I agree with your international break comment but Leicester cannot surely keep winning so I think we have a chance

I think this will be a tight game, 1-1 or 1-0 either way. A win, with momentum, and a top four containing Leicester, Spurs, West Ham and Saints is possible, if not very probable, and as much as I detest Spurs and think WH are gobsh*tes, that would be the best thing to happen in English football for decades!

Obviously will be a tough game, but Leicester will possibly only be down 2 points clear when we play them. If they're going to crack under the pressure, this could be the game.

I think if they do turn us over, they'll win the league. But this game will certainly be a real test of their credentials.

So, with JRod and Austin likely to be back in contention, we could be looking at one of our strongest match day squads ever IMO...

I'd revert to our 'February clean sheet formation' for this one (i.e 3 CBs + 2 wing backs), for example...

------------------------ Forster -------------------------

------- VvD ------------ Fonte ---------- Bertrand -----

Cedric ------------------------------------------ Targett

------------- Wanyama ----------- Romeu -------------

------ Pelle -------------- Mane ------------ Long ------

Subs: Stek, Martina/Yoshida, JWP, Clasie/Davis, Tadic, JRod, Austin

I wonder if this this will be the first time a regular full international player won't make the Saints match day squad (out of choice rather than injury/suspension)?

Edited by trousers
Forgot Davis!

If we were out of contention for Europe I'd be ok with a loss because I think what Leicester have achieved is absolutely fantastic for football. However...... Sorry Foxes, we need these three points just as much as you do. I'm hoping for a humdinger of a match, but with the three points going our way which puts us into Europe.

I reckon Spurs will choke under the pressure and Leicester will pick up points in other matches anyway. If losing to us costs Leicester the title, it'll be harsh but between now and seasons end they could do that against any team.

I reckon the key is to keep it very tight early doors as they looked a bit nervy in the 2nd half v both Newcastle and Palace !

Strangely we will have more players than them on international duty so I really hope we don't pick up injuries !

I'd like Leicester to win the title, but in the cold light of playing them next, I've revised my "I don't mind us losing to them" comments of a few weeks ago, I'll be happy for us to stuff them.

FWIW if Leicester get the bad injury luck that's overdue to them they'll be missing their entire team against us anyway.

Even if it was the final game of the season and a win would give Leicester the title, it still wouldn't mean as much to me as Saints winning, even if we were in mid table. Surely that's what being a supporter is about? Wanting your team to win every game?

Not sure why anyone would want us to lose tbh.

Let's turn Leicester over and be seen as the party poopers for a weekend.

Our run-in is interesting really, we've got the advantage of not really being under the pressure the likes of Spurs and Leicester are in. As the season counts down, they will drop points at places you never expect them to. The points tally to win the league this year will not reach 80 pts IMO. Neither have been in this position before, so no one really knows how they will react.

I do hope Leicester win it overall though, as I think it could potentially change the footballing landscape given how level pegging teams will be financially with the new TV deal.

How any saints fan could want anything less than 3 points is ridiculous. Yes, we all want the foxes to win the league but they can lose to us and win their remaining games :)

Agreed ....Dont give a flying fook about Leicester or Tottenham! Need the three points and if we play like we did 2nd half against Liverpool we will beat anyone !

How any saints fan could want anything less than 3 points is ridiculous. Yes, we all want the foxes to win the league but they can lose to us and win their remaining games :)

Consider me ridiculous then. I would much rather see Leicester win the league than see Saints finish 8th rather than 9th. Likelihood is that 7th wouldn't be enough for Europe this year either.

Consider me ridiculous then. I would much rather see Leicester win the league than see Saints finish 8th rather than 9th. Likelihood is that 7th wouldn't be enough for Europe this year either.

Yes, yes you are ridiculous. Extraordinary stance really, suddenly everyone absolutely loves Leicester, even to the detriment of their own side! Yes it would be nice for them to win the league obviously, I'd love it as much as the next person, but if you actually want us to lose to them in order for that to happen then I think you need to take a look at yourself.

Despite everything were somehow only 4 points of a Champions League spot and Man City have only beaten Villa, Sunderland and Palace in the League since New Years Day. Bear in mind they've still got to come to St Mary's too, let's not give up on that dream just yet.

Yes I would like Leicester to win the league but not at the expense of our own European aspirations. On the flip side I don't think I've wanted us to beat Spurs this much since that time Beattie and co. Got Hoddle sacked.

JRod and Charlie on the bench is pretty epic - considering some of the benches we had last year.

Forster

Cedric vvd fonte Bertrand target

Wanyama clasie

Mane

Pelle long

our bench is decent enough now that jwp, romeu, davis or tadic might not get onto it.

There's still 20% of the season left which is a fairly large amount so **** it, let's do a Leicester and get top 4.

Yes, yes you are ridiculous. Extraordinary stance really, suddenly everyone absolutely loves Leicester, even to the detriment of their own side! Yes it would be nice for them to win the league obviously, I'd love it as much as the next person, but if you actually want us to lose to them in order for that to happen then I think you need to take a look at yourself.

It's not so much 'loving Leicester' as 'hating Tottenham' for me. How many people would swap 8th for 9th if it meant Portsmouth wouldn't win the league? That's closer to how it feels for me, although I do also think Leicester winning would be a good story and a poke in the eye for all the big clubs.

It's not so much 'loving Leicester' as 'hating Tottenham' for me. How many people would swap 8th for 9th if it meant Portsmouth wouldn't win the league? That's closer to how it feels for me, although I do also think Leicester winning would be a good story and a poke in the eye for all the big clubs.

It's weird, you should want the team you support to win every game.

We've still got a genuine shout at 4th/5th so I hope we smash them and in any circumstances, I'd never cheer against Saints.

Agreed with that part. It would only be in hindsight a disappointment if a win against them doesn't affect our position, but ends up helping the north London bastards win the league.

Sounds good to me. :thumbup:

I don't want them to win the league. Similar club to us and I'd be too jealous to watch it happen. Hope we can nick something off them.

A mixture of admiration and jealousy from me, but the jealousy is swamped by not wanting MP and co. winning it.

Even if it was the final game of the season and a win would give Leicester the title, it still wouldn't mean as much to me as Saints winning, even if we were in mid table. Surely that's what being a supporter is about? Wanting your team to win every game?

If it was the last game of the season, and the result didn't affect our position, I'd hope that we'd outclass them for 90 minutes, have 3 perfectly good goals disallowed, and they'd win on an atrocious penalty decision. We'd claim the moral victory, and they'd claim the title at Spurs' expense (whose heads would explode at the injustice of it).

I stand to win £1615 if Leicester win the title, I won't really be cheering them on but I won't be the slightest bit bothered if we lose. Should we win however and that goes on to cost them well then, in hindsight i will be gutted.

What if it means we get in the top 4?

Reckon we'll win this. Lets hope there are no injuries from the internationals. Some people are very strange wanting saints to lose for whatever reason, I hope we hammer them and if they lose the title because of it then they should have played better.

Despite everything were somehow only 4 points of a Champions League spot and Man City have only beaten Villa, Sunderland and Palace in the League since New Years Day. Bear in mind they've still got to come to St Mary's too, let's not give up on that dream just yet.

Yes I would like Leicester to win the league but not at the expense of our own European aspirations. On the flip side I don't think I've wanted us to beat Spurs this much since that time Beattie and co. Got Hoddle sacked.

Exactly mate!! I'm loving that we have something to play for until the end. It's been such a mental season. It's almost like the race for the championship playoffs. :lol:

Edited by Shance