Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

don't like thinking of this aloud, but he's worth more to us if he were to get knocked over by a herd of stampeding wildebeests and killed.

We'de get full insurance and Liverpool and his agent would be left with nothing

It's OK I am due to go to confession tomorrow:uhoh:

I see some of their utter ****wits are still trying to peddle the line that we always wanted to sell and it's just the money we're mad about.

Obviously, everything, from making him captain, to him still having half a decade left on his contract, to us stating every single time he's not for sale, to actually calling out an investigation on them for tapping up, which caused them to put out a humiliating public apology, and end all interest in him, apparently at our insistence... all of that just screams 'for sale'....

Praise the Lord we don't have trolls like that on this forum... ;)

He says he wants out, is doing whatever he is doing to not be near the 1st team, but when you consider the fact that no one has actually phoned us up or sent an email to us expressing an interest in buying VVD he's not doing himself any favours. Any club knowing his perceived potential, are going to think what if he has a blistering season with us and Barcelona or Real come on the sniff is he going to be kicking up a stink with us like he is at Saints.

If someone had phoned up Uncle Les to enquire about VVD, you can pretty much guarantee that somewhere in the web of player dealings some gobsho1te could not resist spilling the beans to a media source. Liverpool might really want to buy him but having been "caught" grooming him, might actually be scratching their heads trying to find a way of buying him, without being sanctioned in the transfer market moving forward. After the slimy stunt they pulled with the nipper at Stoke which has seen them banned from academy player deals, who's to know what the FA actually said to them behind closed doors. Could have been "look lads you are in enough strife as it is, then you go and play silly buggers again!!" "Take it on the chin, you have been found out, you are not going to get the player, walk away, apologise, and express no further interest in him" "if however you do acquire him by the end of this window or the next we will have no other choice but to hit you hard, otherwise we will have a rebellion on our hands"

Just a rambling thought on a situation that is starting to rot a little.

Edited by John Boy Saint

don't like thinking of this aloud, but he's worth more to us if he were to get knocked over by a herd of stampeding wildebeests and killed.

We'de get full insurance and Liverpool and his agent would be left with nothing

It's OK I am due to go to confession tomorrow:uhoh:

Most policies have a wildebeest exclusion clause. Or maybe that is just an American thing. Nevermind.

I see some of their utter ****wits are still trying to peddle the line that we always wanted to sell and it's just the money we're mad about.

Obviously, everything, from making him captain, to him still having half a decade left on his contract, to us stating every single time he's not for sale, to actually calling out an investigation on them for tapping up, which caused them to put out a humiliating public apology, and end all interest in him, apparently at our insistence... all of that just screams 'for sale'....

surely, if there was a case of tapping up an actual investigation will have taken place.

the 'apology' is yesterday's news. No one cares and certainly not Liverpool.

fair play for Saints for trying to stand firm but it appears it will be for nothing, sadly

Got me thinking why Virgil started his strop in the first place.

Being made captain you would think he has sat down with someone and discussed the plans forward.

After hearing them say we shall only buy one player for 5m and change the manager again you would be wanting out at a shot.

We as a club are not ambitious enough for him and it's starting to really show.

Sounds like it's time for you to find something else to do.

If someone else had made that comment you'd be infracting them for a pointless or sarcastic comment, or insulting another member

As the biggest hysterical tart on here I think you should start practicing what you preach a bit more. I notice you never apologised to Tom after you had a go at him and he turned out to be correct, but then you don't apologise do you, because in your position of power as a mod you make the rules. Drunk on the power of being a moderator on an internet forum. Infraction incoming I guess as you don't like it when some abuses your position of authority. :lol:

Being made captain you would think he has sat down with someone and discussed the plans forward.

After hearing them say we shall only buy one player for 5m and change the manager again you would be wanting out at a shot.

In which case though he could have put in a transfer request and it would all have been over in June. And he could have gone to a club with prospects rather than Liverpool.

Cant you see the pattern?

Lallana - screaming down the phone at Les Reed that he had to let him leave or he'd go on strike, never play for Saints again Posing for pictures signing a Liverpool shirt whilst on international duty, rumours of tapping up whilst on England duty.

Lovren - Head is at Liverpool comment in the media

Van Dijk - on strike, tapped up before contact between clubs

What have they all got in common? The theme here is Liverpool.

It's how they do business, let the player know they are interested, offer them the riches and the move then make the player force the move through themselves. This isn't absolving our board from any blame but this is the way they do things and it's at least the third time it's happened, I don't know about Clyne but that was a different situation anyway.

Absolutely vile club. Yet all season we'll have it rammed down our throats how great they are, how wonderful the fans are, how every neutral in the country is behind them.

Ps - Don't mention Heysel.

Lallana - screaming down the phone at Les Reed that he had to let him leave or he'd go on strike, never play for Saints again Posing for pictures signing a Liverpool shirt whilst on international duty, rumours of tapping up whilst on England duty.

It's how they do business, let the player know they are interested, offer them the riches and the move then make the player force the move through themselves. This isn't absolving our board from any blame but this is the way they do things and it's at least the third time it's happened, I don't know about Clyne but that was a different situation anyway.

Absolutely vile club. Yet all season we'll have it rammed down our throats how great they are, how wonderful the fans are, how every neutral in the country is behind them.

It's amazing how they get away with it. You only have to look at the Shaw and Morgan transfers to Utd to see how things should and can be done, pretty quietly without much of a fuss. We have sold a fair few players over the last few years and yet the only times it's turned sour have been when that club has been involved. They, and scousers generally, are absolute vermin

With City spending 100m on two fullbacks (one fairly average some games and one unproven in England) I think 70m is quite good value for VVD in this market.

If Walker played for Saints most would be raving about how we had the best right back in the division. Don't think he's worth £50m mind, but then I don't think Neymar is worth £200m or Rodriguez is worth £15m...

Clyne had all but signed for united until his Agent got greedy and asked them for more, at which point they pulled out (hence the change of Agent). I believe that Liverpool were the next best option for him.

But yep, pretty much agree with all of the above, which is why we (and the rest of the PL) should take a stand and refuse to do business with them, whatever the price.

This ambition thing that everyone keeps trotting out is fairly meaningless without quantification. What do you mean by ambition? Do you want us to spend spend spend? Look at our bottom line - do you think that the club is making massive profits that are being squirrelled away in some bank account? Or are you advocating spending above and beyond what we earn?? Some on here really have no idea what so ever. We are a mid-sized provincial club that has the 8th highest wage bill in the PL and the 8th most expensively acquired squad (I think but happy to be corrected). Maybe you think that Leeds and Pompey are examples of ambition??

TBH I am not sure that they are alone in the manner they do transfers although they have been caught out at both senior level and junior level. The Blackpool meetings were an absolute disgrace not least because VVD's agent is "chairman of EFAA, the European Union for agents/intermediaries". If the chair of the agents' union is caught bang to rights, what hope is there for the game?? I really hope that Jansen is taken to task over this. UEFA should demand that he steps down from his role and maybe strip him of his licence. These agents are pariahs on the game. But that certainly does not absolve LFC of their behaviour. In all this, there is a complete lack of respect for SFC. You expect that from supporters of LFC (after all as 1 comment said, we are but makeweights in the league), but hope that the club, the agent and the player don't behave in the same disdainful manner. It seems though that they all are.

It is sad. The true (old) Liverpool supporter is fine. I recall one coming on here apologetically when Bodgers was buying from us to say (sincerely) how it wasn't good for the game. But the new breed of Sky generation supporter are vile. I always find it highly amusing when listening to call ins on the radio when you hear the accent of the Liverpool supporters. Hardly a man is Scouse or Irish - lots of Cockney and Surrey. I guess that there are many who buy the message of how great they are. They were great, no mistake about that, but I don't understand how you can arbitrarily support a club that you have no connection with and never go and see, at least not on a regular basis. People say that the atmosphere at football has changed and that it is now not a working man's game, but to me, it is the tourists that are killing the game. Clubs our size are less affected (if at all, although I did note that when ST holders around me are replaced for non PL games, the tourists have a really negative affect). The big clubs have this the whole time with their league games.

The Sky generation supporter is in tune with the business not the sport. The big clubs have moved so far away from sport that the local supporter is actually pretty irrelevant. They can relocate anywhere and still fill the stadium. The are owned by people who have no connection to the City, no connection with the Club and see it purely as an investment. When you are like that, do you really expect anything other than vile behaviour? Behaving in any other manner gets in the way of success/profit and that isn't what you invest for. When/if we get sold, we might well turn out to be more like that, but the size of our club won't allow us to behave like LFC. The big difference is that out of ALL their supporters, they are supported mostly by people who have no connection to the City nor surrounding area. They aren't alone in this by any means and I suspect most of the big 6 are the same. I suspect that the majority of Saints supporters have some connection to the club/area as they sure haven't chosen us for glory hunting reasons!! ☺

And as a "neutral" (can one ever be neutral??), I really am not behind them at all. You do hear that being trotted out by the media an awful lot and it is complete crap. I suspect that like many, I am behind one team and don't really care about anyone else. LCFC had my backing for a short period while they were winning the PL, but that was more about the good it brought to football despite it only being a facade. I take a passing interest in AFCB, but that is because I was born in Boscombe and as a nipper once in a while I used to go there when SFC were playing away, but I don't really care if they get relegated or promoted, so long as they don't do as well as us!! I view all other clubs with a total equanimity, save for wanting all the Big 6 to fail, especially in Europe. Success just increase the financial gap between the "them and us".

There, that's my rant over. Like a fair few others here, I just don't like the way money has changed football, and yes, I know that we are part of it. I look at Neymar going for £200m and earning £550k a week post tax and I just can't reconcile with it. Maybe it is best to leave it to the Sky generation as they seem quite happy to accept it.

PS - yes, best not mention Heysel.

Clyne had all but signed for united until his Agent got greedy and asked them for more, at which point they pulled out (hence the change of Agent). I believe that Liverpool were the next best option for him.

But yep, pretty much agree with all of the above, which is why we (and the rest of the PL) should take a stand and refuse to do business with them, whatever the price.

That is exactly what should happen. But it doesn't. It won't. Us "make weights" really need to stick together. Don't let players get their stroppy way. But then you have the likes of WHU. They suffered it with Payet, but were quite happy to let Stoke suffer it with Arnautovic. It's dog eat dog. There are no gentlemen left running the clubs, so what do you expect?

Come on. He's one of the best CB's around. Whoever we sign, however much money we offer him, he can get it all elsewhere plus the chance to win things and play in massive stadiums for famous clubs.

He's acted like a **** about it and screwed us over, but I can't think of many reasons he'd want to stay with a mid table or even Europa league club now.

Loyalty to the club that paid his wages for 6 months while he was injured? Is it really so much to expect a player to see out 1 year of a 6 year deal?

There is a toxic feel about SFC just now. Can't blame VVD for all of this, but this situation needs resolving one way or another.

I have almost zero excitement for the upcoming season.... Am i alone or others feeling the same?

I think you will find all the toxic nonsense is in your head... i am quite convinced you have a problem with this club but for what reason i cannot determine

either that or you are a troll... ?

This comment pretty much sums up the moronic state of this forum these days.

take away this forum and put in modern football fans, and you'll have it.

Seemingly, if you don't cost lots of £££££££££££££ then you are ****.

take away this forum and put in modern football fans, and you'll have it.

Seemingly, if you don't cost lots of £££££££££££££ then you are ****.

Lets be honest though, from what we've seen, he is everything you would expect from a £5m player in today's market.

Lets be honest though, from what we've seen, he is everything you would expect from a £5m player in today's market.

What, 1 and a bit games? Impossible to make any sort of judgement what so ever. I wouldn't say that he's a first team starter, but to call him 'crap' is just pathetic.

Come on. He's one of the best CB's around. Whoever we sign, however much money we offer him, he can get it all elsewhere plus the chance to win things and play in massive stadiums for famous clubs.

He's acted like a **** about it and screwed us over, but I can't think of many reasons he'd want to stay with a mid table or even Europa league club now.

He should have thought about that when he signed a new contract. He could have insisted on a release clause or not signed it.

Don't begrudge him wanting to leave but do begrudge his unprofessionalisn.

He should have thought about that when he signed a new contract. He could have insisted on a release clause or not signed it.

Don't begrudge him wanting to leave but do begrudge his unprofessionalisn.

Pretty much this. He must also know how himself/Liverpool have gone about this transfer is wrong, but he doesn't seem to care - unprofessionlism to the extreme.

I wouldn't say that he's a first team starter, but to call him 'crap' is just pathetic.

Judging him for what we need - a solid and experienced defender - he doesn't live up to that standard. That's not fair on him, but it's not weird to call that a crap signing if it turns out to be the only one (which I don't believe it will be). Nobody is 'crap' if you use your logic: how would they do in a lower team?

As an employment contract, wouldn't he be at the stage of written warnings if he's seen as disruptive to the other employees - to the extent where he's not permitted to work with fellow employees? I don't understand how his behaviour wouldn't be subject to some sort of disciplinary action? Mind you, this is football so anything is possible.

This ambition thing that everyone keeps trotting out is fairly meaningless without quantification. What do you mean by ambition? Do you want us to spend spend spend? Look at our bottom line - do you think that the club is making massive profits that are being squirrelled away in some bank account? Or are you advocating spending above and beyond what we earn?? Some on here really have no idea what so ever. We are a mid-sized provincial club that has the 8th highest wage bill in the PL and the 8th most expensively acquired squad (I think but happy to be corrected). Maybe you think that Leeds and Pompey are examples of ambition??

TBH I am not sure that they are alone in the manner they do transfers although they have been caught out at both senior level and junior level. The Blackpool meetings were an absolute disgrace not least because VVD's agent is "chairman of EFAA, the European Union for agents/intermediaries". If the chair of the agents' union is caught bang to rights, what hope is there for the game?? I really hope that Jansen is taken to task over this. UEFA should demand that he steps down from his role and maybe strip him of his licence. These agents are pariahs on the game. But that certainly does not absolve LFC of their behaviour. In all this, there is a complete lack of respect for SFC. You expect that from supporters of LFC (after all as 1 comment said, we are but makeweights in the league), but hope that the club, the agent and the player don't behave in the same disdainful manner. It seems though that they all are.

It is sad. The true (old) Liverpool supporter is fine. I recall one coming on here apologetically when Bodgers was buying from us to say (sincerely) how it wasn't good for the game. But the new breed of Sky generation supporter are vile. I always find it highly amusing when listening to call ins on the radio when you hear the accent of the Liverpool supporters. Hardly a man is Scouse or Irish - lots of Cockney and Surrey. I guess that there are many who buy the message of how great they are. They were great, no mistake about that, but I don't understand how you can arbitrarily support a club that you have no connection with and never go and see, at least not on a regular basis. People say that the atmosphere at football has changed and that it is now not a working man's game, but to me, it is the tourists that are killing the game. Clubs our size are less affected (if at all, although I did note that when ST holders around me are replaced for non PL games, the tourists have a really negative affect). The big clubs have this the whole time with their league games.

The Sky generation supporter is in tune with the business not the sport. The big clubs have moved so far away from sport that the local supporter is actually pretty irrelevant. They can relocate anywhere and still fill the stadium. The are owned by people who have no connection to the City, no connection with the Club and see it purely as an investment. When you are like that, do you really expect anything other than vile behaviour? Behaving in any other manner gets in the way of success/profit and that isn't what you invest for. When/if we get sold, we might well turn out to be more like that, but the size of our club won't allow us to behave like LFC. The big difference is that out of ALL their supporters, they are supported mostly by people who have no connection to the City nor surrounding area. They aren't alone in this by any means and I suspect most of the big 6 are the same. I suspect that the majority of Saints supporters have some connection to the club/area as they sure haven't chosen us for glory hunting reasons!! ☺

And as a "neutral" (can one ever be neutral??), I really am not behind them at all. You do hear that being trotted out by the media an awful lot and it is complete crap. I suspect that like many, I am behind one team and don't really care about anyone else. LCFC had my backing for a short period while they were winning the PL, but that was more about the good it brought to football despite it only being a facade. I take a passing interest in AFCB, but that is because I was born in Boscombe and as a nipper once in a while I used to go there when SFC were playing away, but I don't really care if they get relegated or promoted, so long as they don't do as well as us!! I view all other clubs with a total equanimity, save for wanting all the Big 6 to fail, especially in Europe. Success just increase the financial gap between the "them and us".

There, that's my rant over. Like a fair few others here, I just don't like the way money has changed football, and yes, I know that we are part of it. I look at Neymar going for £200m and earning £550k a week post tax and I just can't reconcile with it. Maybe it is best to leave it to the Sky generation as they seem quite happy to accept it.

PS - yes, best not mention Heysel.

Absolutely hit a few nails on the head here, and agree with pretty much everything you've said. Sadly, it moved away from being the working man's game many moons ago and the alienation between players earning stupid amounts of money and your average supporter who spends a large part of their hard-earned money paying to follow their team has never been more chasmic. There's a lot to be said for watching/attending lower league games nowadays - I attended a few L2 matches last season and really enjoyed them. That said, I know I'll still be getting to as many matches at SMS as I can afford next season, as being a fan is neither rational nor logical.....

So far we have signed a crap cheap centre back. . No wonder Van the man wants out.... Probably said get some talent in show ambition or I'm gone.
That has fu_ck all to do with VVD wanting out and only an utter moron would think it does.

VVD, for all his faults, wants to play for a "big" club on the biggest stage. I would consider that normal for a player, though why pick the dippers is beyond me when he could have his pick of the big clubs.

How he's gone about it, and most of the sh_it in the press comes directly from VVDs agent and PR team, marks him out as a ****, but he's a talented ****.

I still think he'll stay though. The club cannot afford to back down.

As an employment contract, wouldn't he be at the stage of written warnings if he's seen as disruptive to the other employees - to the extent where he's not permitted to work with fellow employees? I don't understand how his behaviour wouldn't be subject to some sort of disciplinary action? Mind you, this is football so anything is possible.

if MoPe is sending him to work on his own, presumably he's not not making himself available for training so not technically in breach of contract??

Well, there's literally no point sacking him so it doesn't matter.

Yep we're going to give him 3 written warnings and then sack him, that way he walks into Anfield tomorrow, gets what he wants and we get fark all, way to go. Normal disciplinary proceedures do not apply to footballers because they're worth a lot of money and you can't just sack them, well you can but at your loss.

I said we would appear desperate if we made a public statement that the situation is beyond salvageable...petal

Why would we "appear" desperate, honeybuns? If the Board decide that the situation is "beyond salvageable," which would become apparent if he is made available at some point soon, I don't get what is "desperate" about making a pragmatic decision. We still hold the cards and will sell at a price that will suit us. We can keep him until January or the following window if we want. We are clearly not desperate to sell him, even if he does go in the end. Can you really see us selling him on the cheap?

The whole saga has gone beyond silly now. If we do end up letting him go then is there enough time to spend the dough wisely. I do think that this season will be the toughest since we went back up - we were very predictable last year and it seems like most teams will have moved forward. We simply have gone backwards from 18 mo the ago.

The sad truth is that he is way too good for us at the moment. Only CL football will do but I'm just annoyed he want to go to Liverpool. Their behaviour is appalling and I too cannot stand their 'fans' on talksport etc or the media with their pro-Scouse bias. VVD is too good for Liverpool and should be setting his sights on one of the continental giants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would we "appear" desperate, honeybuns? If the Board decide that the situation is "beyond salvageable," which would become apparent if he is made available at some point soon, I don't get what is "desperate" about making a pragmatic decision. We still hold the cards and will sell at a price that will suit us. We can keep him until January or the following window if we want. We are clearly not desperate to sell him, even if he does go in the end. Can you really see us selling him on the cheap?

So we publicly tell everyone that he is for sale, has no future here and is causing a problem in the squad and then expect clubs to pay our full asking price....right. thank **** you're not in charge of the club.

So we publicly tell everyone that he is for sale, has no future here and is causing a problem in the squad and then expect clubs to pay our full asking price....right. thank **** you're not in charge of the club.

So you have something that others want that is valuable to both of you and you decide to sell because it doesn't make sense to keep it anymore. Why would you give it away cheaply when you know you can get more for it? Thank **** you're not in charge of the club.

So if we sell £70m for VVD , we then go out to replace and any player that would have cost £15M will now be £25-30 to us. So instead of doing the business before selling we lose what we gain.

Enlighten me then, who is going to give us 70 million for VvD in your estimation?

He's driven us into a corner, he doesn't seem to be any nearer backing down and nobody seems to be interested in buying him for the sums quoted.

He's a 60 million £ max player, even if he agrees to play again after the window closes again he'll be starting all his nonsense again in January because he simply wants to leave.

Enlighten me then, who is going to give us 70 million for VvD in your estimation?

He's driven us into a corner, he doesn't seem to be any nearer backing down and nobody seems to be interested in buying him for the sums quoted.

He's a 60 million £ max player, even if he agrees to play again after the window closes again he'll be starting all his nonsense again in January because he simply wants to leave.

I agree what you say, none of us know what we really get but in principle if we had bought pre the VVD saga the asking prices to us would be lower. I don't see how the club needs to sell before buying. I was making the point had we bought earlier that clubs would not see us cashed up and so ask a lot more than they would have done 6 weeks ago

It would be a good precedent to set, not selling him despite all this pressure from player and agent.

However I'm also concerned this will become a recurring gong show from Jan to next summer, if he stays.

Unless one of the big teams discovers in competitive play that their CB pairings are not up snuff or one of them gets a key injury before Sep 1, I can only see Liverpool stumping up anything close to Les and Co's valuation. If you believe the various press reports that came out this summer, VVD started off this summer as a £50 million player (allegedly the amount VVD's slimeball agent was working with during the tapping up process) to £60 million, to something north of £70 million.

[/b]

It would be a good precedent to set, not selling him despite all this pressure from player and agent.

However I'm also concerned this will become a recurring gong show from Jan to next summer, if he stays.

Unless one of the big teams discovers in competitive play that their CB pairings are not up snuff or one of them gets a key injury before Sep 1, I can only see Liverpool stumping up anything close to Les and Co's valuation. If you believe the various press reports that came out this summer, VVD started off this summer as a £50 million player (allegedly the amount VVD's slimeball agent was working with during the tapping up process) to £60 million, to something north of £70 million.

Like I said yesterday tell him get his nut down tell the dippers go thru the correct channels in January then and only then will the move happen!

Do you think he's going to want to stay after last nights shambles. I'm no bed wetter but 0-4 to that lot was unbelievably poor. I have a feeling this could be coming to a head.
For the umpteenth time, we know he wants to move, but it's up to Saints, not him, not his agent, not LFC, not the Daily Fail, not the Liverpool Echo, not Uncle Tom Cobbley.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would say he's in a corner, we just need to tell him he's staying, he can either spend his time here training alone, away from the other players and missing the world cup, wasting his career. Or, accept it, come to an agreement with the club similar to Schneiderlin, give us a season, put yourself in the shop window, give us no ****e in the background about moves, spurious injury problems, agents briefing the press, then go with our blessing providing we get the fee we want. If he causes trouble during the season then he'll have to give us another season, his career will soon wither away whilst Southampton as a club will just move on. He cannot be allowed to get away with this

I would say he's in a corner, we just need to tell him he's staying, he can either spend his time here training alone, away from the other players and missing the world cup, wasting his career. Or, accept it, come to an agreement with the club similar to Schneiderlin, give us a season, put yourself in the shop window, give us no ****e in the background about moves, spurious injury problems, agents briefing the press, then go with our blessing providing we get the fee we want. If he causes trouble during the season then he'll have to give us another season, his career will soon wither away whilst Southampton as a club will just move on. He cannot be allowed to get away with this

Always the Schneiderlin situation is quoted. Morgan is a pretty reasonable bloke who'd been with the club a while. There is no comparison, here we're dealing with an ambitious dutch knob who'll do (seemingly) whatever it takes to get what he wants.

In the words of the old Michael Miles game show....take the money..

He's not played a competitve game these last 6 months or so and his value is still sky high, in his eyes a few more months won't make any great difference.

Edited by Window Cleaner