Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Before jumping on the bloke, put yourself in his position. If tomorrow somebody would pay you 2, 3 or 4x your current salary. What would you do? Answer that question honestly.

I am disappointed at the situation but we've been here so many times I'm resigned to it now. Best case is that he does a Wanyama, we get half or one more season out of him then get loads of money with a replacement lined up. That is football nowadays, I hate it too that is how it is.

My understanding is that now he has requested a transfer formally he forgoes his loyalty payments and settlement of remaining contract. If he's on 80k a week thats 20million to end of contract.

Do we can assume that this will save saints 15-20 million if we sell. So a 50-55million sell is worth a 70million sell without transfer request.

I think we will now sell for 55 million to someone

Ahh the old "I'm an ambitious player". Yeah you and half the world mate. Wanting to play for a bigger club doesn't make you ambitious, everyone wants Champions League and extra money. I hope he breaks both his legs.

Only once he's signed for someone else.

My understanding is that now he has requested a transfer formally he forgoes his loyalty payments and settlement of remaining contract. If he's on 80k a week thats 20million to end of contract.

Do we can assume that this will save saints 15-20 million if we sell. So a 50-55million sell is worth a 70million sell without transfer request.

I don't think it's that much, is it?! I thought it was either a % of the selling price, or just a separate clause in the contract which means he is owed £x if he is sold at the club's behest. I have no idea really, but would be very surprised to learn that if your employer changed, your current employer would have to pay your entire contract.

We save the loyalty bonus but not the salary which we would not have to pay if he transfers. The salary would only have to be paid if we wanted to release him from his contract on a free transfer--like with Osvaldo.

Before jumping on the bloke, put yourself in his position. If tomorrow somebody would pay you 2, 3 or 4x your current salary. What would you do? Answer that question honestly.

I am disappointed at the situation but we've been here so many times I'm resigned to it now. Best case is that he does a Wanyama, we get half or one more season out of him then get loads of money with a replacement lined up. That is football nowadays, I hate it too that is how it is.

How many of us are currently earning how much he is though? He already lives a life of luxury and a very privileged life.

If the employer I was at had just rewarded me with 6 years of security, then I don't think I'd have been actively looking to triple my salary just 6 months later, I'd have been sensible enough to have got what I was after when I renewed my contract. To me, money isn't everything. I'd rather show a bit of loyalty to my current employees and leave on a nice note rather than burn tons of bridges along the way. You never know in life, you may need to come back one day.

But hey, I'm not a money grabbing footballer. Woe be them.

We save the loyalty bonus but not the salary which we would not have to pay if he transfers. The salary would only have to be paid if we wanted to release him from his contract on a free transfer--like with Osvaldo.

Ah ok. We save some money if we do sell though. Any idea how much?

VvD has put in a transfer request (well done).

Lfc won't be knocking on our door - they can't

5 years remaining of a 6 year contract

No other club has offered what we value him at

Ergo nothing has changed except his reputation with the fans (& probably the club) has reached rock bottom.

Let's not compare footballers to normal members of the public shall we.

Many if not all players (especially captains and Key players, such as Virgil) are role models to many people. They are under contract by their respective club and are therefore pretty owned by said club and should act in a professional way.

Virgil has not done this.

Many would accept him leaving, if he'd gone about it the right way. I.e Lambert, Shaw, Mane and Morgan/Wanyama (to a degree)

Hmmm. VVD burnt his bridges here and is manufacturing the dirtiest of all the recent departures.

I still think, looking at the bigger picture, that the club should stand firm but after this reintegration looks to be a bit of a forlorn hope. Of all the possible alternatives at this point, only selling to Liverpool will irritate me.

Completely pointless thing to say, in the real world that most of us work in who pays 2, 3 or 4x your salary. No one.

Completely pointless thing to say, in the real world that most of us work in who pays 2, 3 or 4x your salary. No one.

Exactly. If it doesn't happen in the real world, it's hard to put yourself in his shoes and confidently claim you would act differently.

If the employer I was at had just rewarded me with 6 years of security, then I don't think I'd have been actively looking to triple my salary just 6 months later, I'd have been sensible enough to have got what I was after when I renewed my contract. To me, money isn't everything. I'd rather show a bit of loyalty to my current employees and leave on a nice note rather than burn tons of bridges along the way. You never know in life, you may need to come back one day.

But hey, I'm not a money grabbing footballer. Woe be them.

OK I should've said if somebody offered to triple your salary with another 4 year contract. In 4 years you would earn double what you would've earned originally.

He could do an ACL in a month's time and never play again. He has to think about his and his families future. Good for you for showing loyalty but I don't think many people could HONESTLY say they would do they same and personally I think he be mad not to.

Let's be honest, he'll play if we don't sell him. He won't have typed up that statement himself, his agent will have. He isn't at the training ground kicking down doors, he's probably still chatting to everybody like normal, this is just part of the game to get the move that he wants. He isn't sat at home hyperventilating at the idea he might not play for Liverpool next season, he's just trying to get what he wants. Let's not go all crazy over how 'disgraceful' it is, it's part of the game. This doesn't force us to do anything, Everton rejected John Stones' transfer request to go to Chelsea, not sure why everyone thinks these things are so important.

Sums up my thoughts too. Great post.

Let's be honest, he'll play if we don't sell him. He won't have typed up that statement himself, his agent will have. He isn't at the training ground kicking down doors, he's probably still chatting to everybody like normal, this is just part of the game to get the move that he wants. He isn't sat at home hyperventilating at the idea he might not play for Liverpool next season, he's just trying to get what he wants. Let's not go all crazy over how 'disgraceful' it is, it's part of the game. This doesn't force us to do anything, Everton rejected John Stones' transfer request to go to Chelsea, not sure why everyone thinks these things are so important.

This, he'll be kissing the badge before Septembers up

Let's not compare footballers to normal members of the public shall we.

Many if not all players (especially captains and Key players, such as Virgil) are role models to many people. They are under contract by their respective club and are therefore pretty owned by said club and should act in a professional way.

Virgil has not done this.

Many would accept him leaving, if he'd gone about it the right way. I.e Lambert, Shaw, Mane and Morgan/Wanyama (to a degree)

Thing is with Mané we set a 2 year precedent - that you do well here, you can leave after that time. VVD will believe that he's as talented as Mané and he can do the same.

He also earns more in a week than most of us earn in a year. If you can't do the time don't do the crime...if he wasn't prepared to show some loyalty to SFC he shouldn't have signed the contract and taken the extra cash - that's the sole issue here for me - he wasn't strong armed into signing a new deal which has given the club all the aces, it was greed that motivated him to take a higher wage from us and it's greed and petulance that's motivating him to try and force his way out of a situation of his own making.

Assuming it won't cause an issue for Bertrand and Cedric I'd get rid and get Wimmer and/or Hoedt ASAP. The sooner we get him out the door and prevent our "captain" from polluting the rest of the squad the better.

Thing is with Mané we set a 2 year precedent - that you do well here, you can leave after that time. VVD will believe that he's as talented as Mané and he can do the same.

We've never set a precedent for a player leaving with 5 years left on his contract.

We've never set a precedent for a player leaving with 5 years left on his contract.

Very true, though doubt VVD sees it that way. Others on here claim that having plenty of time left on a contract is not in the player's interests but the club's interests.

Dear Virgil Van Dijk

So, you've finally come out and shown your true colours in public then (although judging by the wording of the statement, I seriously doubt you wrote it yourself).

Of course, you are just the innocent victim in all this, aren't you. I mean, what sort of awful employer would reward your good work with an improved and extended contract, with a handsome signing fee, and giving you the captaincy. what absolute assholes Saints FC must be to do that.

So you've been in pain and anguish over this horrible treatment, while getting paid an already ridiculous salary while not having to do any work at all for the last six months. Oh what a crying shame. really, my heart bleeds for you. I mean, you earn far more money than most of us fans will ever dream of. The money that exists in football now means that you and your fellow PL pros live in a completely different universe from the rest of us. All because you have a bit of talent for kicking a leather ball around.

But apparently that's not good enough for you now. You are so sad and desperate to leave us for greener pastures, despite the fact that the club have not received a single bid for you from another employer as yet. I wonder how that could have happened? You broke the rules of the league when you decide to go and meet with another potential suitor. Now you may not have realised that it was against the rules, in which case you're an idiot. Or perhaps you did know, but didn't care, in which case you're just a c*nt.

When you signed that contract last year, you waived certain rights, such as the right to demand whatever move away you wanted. You may have a bloated sense of your own importance, but you are in actual fact just an asset of Southampton FC, and with the number of years remaining on your contract that you were very happy to sign, that means the club holds all the aces here. If you think your little sob story and transfer request changes anything then you are seriously mistaken. If the club do not received a bid from another club that matches it's valuation of your services, then they don't have to agree to anything. I'm so very sorry if you don't like that.

As a longtime fan of Saints, through thick and thin, may I express to you what most of our fans are now thinking - that you please just F*** off and stick your self pity up your a*se, you greedy, self-important pr*ck.

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments, may I add though, unfortunately he is not the first or the last prima donna who will pull this stunt such is football atm.

OK I should've said if somebody offered to triple your salary with another 4 year contract. In 4 years you would earn double what you would've earned originally.

He could do an ACL in a month's time and never play again. He has to think about his and his families future. Good for you for showing loyalty but I don't think many people could HONESTLY say they would do they same and personally I think he be mad not to.

I really do wish people would give it a rest with this 'career's short', 'could be over at any moment' tripe. I'd hazard a guess that he has already made more money by the age of 26 than 50% of people do in their entire lives (and that's being conservative in my estimations). If he invested wisely he'd never have to work properly again if he retired tomorrow. Even if his career was ended by injury it's not as if he would have nothing else to go to or be left destitute. He would just have to, God forbid, get a job until he's normal retirement age.

The fact is most people would obviously want to earn more money, but the point still remains about behaving the right way relative to your position; and he is an incredibly fortunate young man behaving like an absolutely odious little c*nt. There is just no way you can objectively compare his wanting to earn more money with a 'normal' person wanting to earn more money. His 'more' is nowhere near as life changing as a 'normal' person's more; because the baseline is so much higher.

All these players are rotten cnts.

That fcking statement - my word I feel for Les having to work with such wnkers. He has always been a co ck though just good at football. £90m to Chelsea or rot you Dutch cnt.

You cannot compare a 'Normal' persons job with a Premier League players wages so the analogy just isn't at all justified.

Mane had two years left on his contract and presumably didn't want to discuss a new one.

If Virgil was still on his first contract then I wouldn't be bothered about us selling him now but he signed a NEW SIX YEAR contract.

When players first join they usually sign a four year contract. If they do well for two years and don't want to discuss a new contract we will probably sell them after two years.

I hate the "if you were offered the chance to double your wages" argument - it's ridiculous.

Someone doubling £30k a year has a far greater impact on the person then if they're doubling £90k a week.

I hate the "if you were offered the chance to double your wages" argument - it's ridiculous.

Someone doubling £30k a year has a far greater impact on the person then if they're doubling £90k a week.

Yep anyone who wants to defend it is despicable. Greedy fcker happy to sign 6 year contract blows any sense of discussion as to who is in the wrong.

Just been having a laugh on RAWK (they're still banned from talking about us). They're talking as if he's now 'done his bit' ''good lad'' etc. and now it's up to 'Liverpool' to finish the work.

They also, quite hilariously said ''If Southampton only want to sell to Chelsea or City, Virgil should stand firm - he can make this happen''. Who in living gods name do they think they are?????

They also quite poorly said that Keita now needs to do the same if he really wants to move.

They really are a cesspit.

It's the internet lad. Calm down.... calm down.

Exactly, someone earning an average of £70k a week playing football earns £54.6million over a 15 year career. That's absolutely plenty to live out the rest of your life in luxury.

Dear Virgil Van Dijk

So, you've finally come out and shown your true colours in public then (although judging by the wording of the statement, I seriously doubt you wrote it yourself).

Of course, you are just the innocent victim in all this, aren't you. I mean, what sort of awful employer would reward your good work with an improved and extended contract, with a handsome signing fee, and giving you the captaincy. what absolute assholes Saints FC must be to do that.

So you've been in pain and anguish over this horrible treatment, while getting paid an already ridiculous salary while not having to do any work at all for the last six months. Oh what a crying shame. really, my heart bleeds for you. I mean, you earn far more money than most of us fans will ever dream of. The money that exists in football now means that you and your fellow PL pros live in a completely different universe from the rest of us. All because you have a bit of talent for kicking a leather ball around.

But apparently that's not good enough for you now. You are so sad and desperate to leave us for greener pastures, despite the fact that the club have not received a single bid for you from another employer as yet. I wonder how that could have happened? You broke the rules of the league when you decide to go and meet with another potential suitor. Now you may not have realised that it was against the rules, in which case you're an idiot. Or perhaps you did know, but didn't care, in which case you're just a c*nt.

When you signed that contract last year, you waived certain rights, such as the right to demand whatever move away you wanted. You may have a bloated sense of your own importance, but you are in actual fact just an asset of Southampton FC, and with the number of years remaining on your contract that you were very happy to sign, that means the club holds all the aces here. If you think your little sob story and transfer request changes anything then you are seriously mistaken. If the club do not received a bid from another club that matches it's valuation of your services, then they don't have to agree to anything. I'm so very sorry if you don't like that.

As a longtime fan of Saints, through thick and thin, may I express to you what most of our fans are now thinking - that you please just F*** off and stick your self pity up your a*se, you greedy, self-important pr*ck.

Wow,

fantastic written words that I would love to type myself.

Can't believe after all he's done, he's actually trying to play the victim. What a despicable piece of work he is.

£70M from anyone but the Scousers or he rots for 5 years, as far as I'm concerned.

I think I know a club where he would fit in perfectly with that kind of behavior.

All these players are rotten cnts.

That fcking statement - my word I feel for Les having to work with such wnkers. He has always been a co ck though just good at football. £90m to Chelsea or rot you Dutch cnt.

This - I am really finding it difficult to engender any love or enthusiasm for football any more - not even Saints.

I'm just sad that the best player we will likely have is out the door, as most of us all suspected when he got that injury, and it became an 'injury'. The thing that galls is the contract, although we all suspected then (well I did) that it simply meant more money at the eventual transfer time. The only thing we can now hope for is that we get an offer from Chelsea, who will be concerned that with VVD Liverpool might actually be able to challenge this year. If they don't realise that they are chumps, not champs.

I suspect that the loyalty payment for 2016/17 would have been paid already.

It's difficult to know exactly what any player would get should a transfer take place but the standard is that he would get 5% of the fee however that isn't paid if a transfer request is put in. The player would continue to be paid in accordance with the contract and whilst a club can fine a player up to two weeks wages that usually does little to resolve matters.

I am not sure about the 6 year contract is as straight forward as we are led to believe as the maximum normally allowable, and stated in FIFA rules is 5 years.

Moving on to outrage that so many seem to be voicing about he wanting out then dare I say look at the clubs actions with regard to the last manger. Sign a 3 year deal buy hey after 1 it's bye bye? Doesn't it smack a bit of double standards?