Pellegrino OUT

Batman

I've literally had another theory- what if we aren't sacking Pellegrino in order to seem like a club who doesn't constantly hire and fire? I mean from the outside and a managers perspective- it doesn't look good for a club to constantly sack a man every three months if we aren't in the top 10. It does also echo some of the stuff Pellegrino comes out with in his pressers, like when he says 'the club has been nice to me, very supportive of me' or when he said something about Krueger offering support to him [Pellegrino]. I reckon the board are making him say that though to make us look good again- or to simply feed Reed's ego.

Therefore, maybe we are just taking a massive gamble and will try to ride the season out in order to look good to prospective managers for the summer (which is when I guess Pellegrino will go- I fear 4 months too late by then if we go down).

However, whilst the sentiment with the theory above, to me it just seems like we are rewarding mediocrity. We really should have rid of him after the Palace debacle, or even the Leicester game. I'm sure he is a lovely guy, just tactically inept for the PL.

It’s a possibility that the board don’t want us to be a club that hires and fires managers one after another (like Leeds and Watford). But wouldn’t the look even more stupid if we go down under Pellegrino, after finishing top 10 in our last 4 seasons?

Yes, I'd say we have, at best, a top 8 squad with maybe a cup final thrown in. Someone who could achieve that would be more or less getting the best out of the current lot, especially with the chronic lack of goal-scorers. However with a semi-decent manager the squad should not be any where near the drop zone, and anyone who has us in the bottom three is clearly a clueless muppet.

I agree.

I think Puel is a decent manager and that's what he achieved . An exceptional one would have maybe won the cup, gone further in Europe & perhaps finished above Everton.

With an average manager this squad should not be involved in a relegation battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s another Jeremy Wilson article on Pellegrino’s future featuring more guff from Ralph...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/02/15/mauricio-pellegrino-admits-next-five-games-fundamental-southampton/

It's pretty clear we are not going to sack him until it's too late, if then.

That Wilson puff-piece reads to me that the club have prioritised proving they were "right" about Pellegrino (ie finishing 16th/17th, whoopee) is more important than taking affirmative action to keep us in the league.

Upcoming results "could be pivotal" for Pellegrino's future - "could be" FFS and why is Pellegrino's future a "pivotal" thing - our staying in the division is the pivotal thing, not some experiment with a terrible manager that none of the fans have any interest in or enthusiasm for. Project Pellegrino is the pivotal thing? Eff me.

So, he's got plenty of "oh well, a point on reflection is quite good really/yes we lost but St James Park is always a tough place to go" bullsh it left in the tank then. Every and any excuse will be used and we will not sack that man.

Madness.

Edited by CB Fry

It's pretty clear we are not going to sack him until it's too late, if then.

That Wilson puff-piece reads to me that the club have prioritised proving they were "right" about Pellegrino (ie finishing 16th/17th, whoopee) is more important than taking affirmative action to keep us in the league.

Upcoming results "could be pivotal" for Pellegrino's future - "could be" FFS and why is Pellegrino's future a "pivotal" thing - our staying in the division is the pivotal thing, not some experiment with a terrible manager that none of the fans have any interest in or enthusiasm for. Project Pellegrino is the pivotal thing? Eff me.

So, he's got plenty of "oh well, a point on reflection is quite good really/yes we lost but St James Park is always a tough place to go" bullsh it left in the tank then. Every and any excuse will be used and we will not sack that man.

Madness.

just imagine the puff piece(s) if we do scrape 17th

I'll do a bingo card.

Didn't panic

Stability

Time to adapt

Highly rated young coach

Green Bay Packers

Different approach

Supportive environment

Role model

Ambition

as shurlock said on here the other week, Les Reed will be unbearable and actually like a pig on shyt in one of his videos!

Here’s another Jeremy Wilson article on Pellegrino’s future featuring more guff from Ralph...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/02/15/mauricio-pellegrino-admits-next-five-games-fundamental-southampton/

I see MP still going with his gym analogy. We may look sh1t but don’t worry you’ll see the benefits soon lads. How soon is now please.

I'm actually at the point of wondering whether there's a contractual reason we won't sack MP, say in the first year of his contract (unless for disciplinary reasons). That the board have bought into their own hype so much, a season flirting dangerously with relegation could never be considered. And now we're left with no alternative but to back a man who is so clearly not up to the job it's untrue.

I see MP still going with his gym analogy. We may look sh1t but don’t worry you’ll see the benefits soon lads. How soon is now please.

They've been at the gym since June and still look like Rik Waller.

And throwing out Carvahal-isms isn't going to endear you to anyone, MoPo.

Considering by every barometer he would have failed this season I'm struggling to understand the overwhelming reluctance to sack a criminally underperforming manager, who by every assessment factor should be sacked even if we stay up.

Sacking Puel was the right decision long term, it had reached breaking point with the players and the majority of fans. But if we're sacking a manager because the football was dire, how on earth can you not sack a manager who has left a better squad than what Puel had (without Europe to contend with) in a relegation scrap with a much worse defensive record and with the football just as turgid to watch, if not worse?

I'm actually at the point of wondering whether there's a contractual reason we won't sack MP' date=' say in the first year of his contract (unless for disciplinary reasons). That the board have bought into their own hype so much, a season flirting dangerously with relegation could never be considered. And now we're left with no alternative but to back a man who is so clearly not up to the job it's untrue.[/quote']

So pay him off

Considering by every barometer he would have failed this season I'm struggling to understand the overwhelming reluctance to sack a criminally underperforming manager, who by every assessment factor should be sacked even if we stay up.

Sacking Puel was the right decision long term, it had reached breaking point with the players and the majority of fans. But if we're sacking a manager because the football was dire, how on earth can you not sack a manager who has left a better squad than what Puel had (without Europe to contend with) in a relegation scrap with a much worse defensive record and with the football just as turgid to watch, if not worse?

Your incredulity at Pellegrino still being the SFC Manager is shared by thousands - but seemingly not by the 2-3 buffoons in charge of the Club. The ineptitude of Reed and Kreuger angers me only slightly less than the incumbency of Trump across the Atlantic ditch.

I'm actually at the point of wondering whether there's a contractual reason we won't sack MP' date=' say in the first year of his contract (unless for disciplinary reasons). That the board have bought into their own hype so much, a season flirting dangerously with relegation could never be considered. And now we're left with no alternative but to back a man who is so clearly not up to the job it's untrue.[/quote']

Every contract is only worth it’s term value, in other words it can be paid up for its total value. Unless both sides agree to an early termination.

He won't go. The club are too invested in their own hype to admit they've made a series of errors over the last two years which have essentially undone all the good work of the previous six.

You have to look at it from Reed's arrogant point of view, because keeping MP in charge and hoping we stay up is his best chance to save face.

Scenario one) MP is sacked. Reed has to admit to making a mistake. New manager has no time, we go down, Reed is proved to have made a mistake.

Scenario two) We keep faith with MP and we go down. Reed is proved to have made a mistake.

Scenario three) MP is sacked. Reed has to admit to making a mistake. New manager keeps us up but focus is still on why it took so long.

Scenario four) MP stays, we remain in the league, Reed comes out and laments other factors (VVD, injuries whatever) and is widely lauded for not being trigger happy in this modern age of revolving door managers (probably in the telegraph)

So, we have to force him out. His position should already be untenable. It isn't according to the board, so lets make it untenable. Starting at the game tomorrow. We need to change our focus to this rather than waiting for others to act. As Adkins wisely said 'you can only control the controllables'. Singing/protesting/ before during and after the games we are in control of. The T.V cameras will pick this up if we make enough noise. Who is going to take the lead here?? Ugly Inside?? Somebody has to. What, where and how????

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

That is just so so depressing to read. So much complacency and head in sand mentality even now. Pellegrino's own comments hardly seem to convey the urgency required to get the results needed now to avoid relegation, he's talking about improvement in 6 months FFS!

I fail to see this improvement that the board think has been shown in last few weeks. We managed to scrape a win at the bottom club, but all other performances have been totally in keeping with the rest of our season so really don't see where this confidence in MP to turn it around is coming from. Seems to be just blind faith and hope rather than anything based on real evidence or analysis.

And talking about next few games being pivotal for managers future is surely massively missing the bigger picture which is if we don't get results in next 5 games we are down and it's irrelevant what happens with the manager after that point as far as this season is concerned!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

So, we have to force him out. His position should already be untenable. It isn't according to the board, so lets make it untenable. Starting at the game tomorrow. We need to change our focus to this rather than waiting for others to act. As Adkins wisely said 'you can only control the controllables'. Singing/protesting/ before during and after the games we are in control of. The T.V cameras will pick this up if we make enough noise. Who is going to take the lead here?? Ugly Inside?? Somebody has to. What, where and how????

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Indeed. Get Saints trending in relation to Pellegrino's unpopularity, even for an hour, or better yet have a feature written in a national that isn't from Jeremy 'Spokesman' Wilson, and you would shake the complacency at the core of the club out of its stupor.

I was firmly in the camp that wanted Puel to go. But I foolishly believed in the hype from the club that managers (with players) all over the world are constantly being scouted so any eventuality can be taken care of.

we have gotten rid of a dull, stiff manager and found one even worse.

awful so far from him and like puel, he will do well to last beyond xmas as if he is still here by then, we will be struggling to maintain a position outside of the bottom 3.

terrible manager

Just had a look at the OP. Batman often gets a lot of stick, but how insightful he was back now over 4 months ago. Nothing has changed.........

I can't believe MP really thinks he is an effective manager.

He is always going on about improvement and the upcoming games etc etc, he has had nearly 3/4 of a season and his impact thus far have been deemed worse that those that followed before him.

Other managers can switch to a league, get their idea's across but after about 10 games in they are starting to see the impacts of the earlier work, all I see at the moment is a pile of sh8t.

That article just confirms what many fear. We're protecting the brand, don't want to be seen as a sack happy club, so we'll continue with project MP to protect the Southampton way.

All effort seems to be on the brand, not just in this country either.

So incredibly short sighted though? Do they not realise that all that global branding stuff goes straight out the window the instant we cease to be a premier league club?

That article just confirms what many fear. We're protecting the brand, don't want to be seen as a sack happy club, so we'll continue with project MP to protect the Southampton way.

All effort seems to be on the brand, not just in this country either.

Yes, I think that is the underlying reason he is still here. Non-Saints fans were perplexed that Saints sacked a manager who took them to 8th and almost won the cup. In the club management's eyes, to change manager ONCE was discerning, to change manager AGAIN may appear foolish and out of control. All brand image, how we look.

So incredibly short sighted though? Do they not realise that all that global branding stuff goes straight out the window the instant we cease to be a premier league club?

When you fill the 'top level' of the club with people who are corporate mouth pieces and commercial gurus – not football people - then football vision drops down the list. It will be all about protecting the brand, the image and how we're seen on a global scale. Ultimately this is the wrong way to run a football club.

When you head down the route of talking up your commercial activities (Radio station anyone?) and taking your eye off the ball footballing side, this happens. Maybe they need the genius idea to create a competitive team on the pitch with a component manager, which would do all the global corporate branding for you, stop all these stupid slogans and management conferences - which they still do all around the world.

Sacking managers means **** all to the "brand"

Only 5 Premier league clubs have had the same manager in place for 3 years+ and 9 managers have been in place for under 1 year.

Les Reed is just clueless on every level

Not true. The keeping of the manager and an illusion of stability and patience is important to the brand that Southampton FC want to promote world wide. It's all part of the narrative the club have been building the last few years.

The important point is whether there is any point continuing with the "Brand" if it is going to damage us in the long term. We fans clearly don't think so the club clearly feel its a risk worth taking.

It's 2005 all over again, a complete disconnect with what you see on the pitch and what you hear coming out the club.

All that guff is for the benefit of Gao who clearly understands very little about football. It Hitler's bunker syndrome, just tell him what he wants to hear and hope it all turns out OK because tell him the truth and you get the bullet anyway.

Edited by aintforever

When you fill the 'top level' of the club with people who are corporate mouth pieces and commercial gurus – not football people - then football vision drops down the list. It will be all about protecting the brand, the image and how we're seen on a global scale. Ultimately this is the wrong way to run a football club.

When you head down the route of talking up your commercial activities (Radio station anyone?) and taking your eye off the ball footballing side, this happens. Maybe they need the genius idea to create a competitive team on the pitch with a component manager, which would do all the global corporate branding for you, stop all these stupid slogans and management conferences - which they still do all around the world.

Annoying as it is I think that is just the way modern football has gone. Saints aren't any different. All club owners are hunting the money these days trying to get their bit of the pie football is ruled by money and hype these days.

Annoying as it is I think that is just the way modern football has gone. Saints aren't any different. All club owners are hunting the money these days trying to get their bit of the pie football is ruled by money and hype these days.
Maybe so, but the more sensible club owners and chairmen are able to recognise that results on the pitch trump everything else in football, and that the commercial and corporate types will be out of a job if the team and manager are not good enough to keep the club in the premier league.

Maybe so, but the more sensible club owners and chairmen are able to recognise that results on the pitch trump everything else in football, and that the commercial and corporate types will be out of a job if the team and manager are not good enough to keep the club in the premier league.

Exactly- best way to create the brand is success ON the pitch. Simples.

This is true but you can't get past the fact that some players are just naturally better than others. If saints had Kane up front this season we would be in a better position than now he is a natural goal scorer. If Spurs had Long (even one improved by poch) they would be in a worse position than they are now.
If we had Kane we would have sold him already.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

If we had Kane we would have sold him already.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Yes, we'd have sold him as soon as we got an offer for him from another Premier League club, as we would have done if we'd had Vardy or any other goal scorer. The business is the board and owners' sole priority now, not the team. Players are simply viewed as commodities to be sold and the team is only used as a shop window to attract buyers for them. But, that short-term greed and consequent neglect of the team is going to cost the owners money in the long term, as you need a successful team to attract buyers and keep the Premier League money pouring in, not that Kat will be particulary bothered as she is already laughing all the way to the bank, having made quarter of a billion out of us, which is more than just about any owner in history has ever made out of a football club.

So right now he is doing as good as (pl win ratio)

Brian McDermott

Egil Olsen

Ian Dowie

Jim Jefferies

Brian Law

Mickey Adams

Nigel Worthington

Solskjaer

Paul Ince

And above him

Stuart Gray

Alain Perrin

Brian Kidd

Dave Jones

Eddie Gray

Felix Magath

Gary Megson

Ian Holloway

Malky Mckay

Mick Mcarthy

Paul Hart

Rene Meulensteen

Steve Kean

Tony Mowbray

http://www.barriesview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/premier-league-manager-statistics.png

That is the level he is at.