Defectors Watch

adrian lord

I wonder if JV has a big confidence crisis going on, because he looks like he did when he first signed for us. Terrible.

It took him over a year to look like a decent player here, and then he wants out for a bigger project as soon as there's a sniff. That makes him fair game.

Berty was a great servant to us, and was top of his game for five of those years. The club was right to let him leave this summer, we're still paying a sentiment charge on a few players, but at least we didn't pick up Ryans last tab as well. Good call Saints. Good call. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I wonder if JV has a big confidence crisis going on, because he looks like he did when he first signed for us. Terrible.

It took him over a year to look like a decent player here, and then he wants out for a bigger project as soon as there's a sniff. That makes him fair game.

Berty was a great servant to us, and was top of his game for five of those years. The club was right to let him leave this summer, we're still paying a sentiment charge on a few players, but at least we didn't pick up Ryans last tab as well. Good call Saints. Good call. 

I think his spell 'when we were good' is looking more and more like a purple patch to me and not his norm. Once he came back after his injury, which was a blow at the time, he reverted to old pretty much. Sloppy out of possession, weak, slow. Getting £15m for him should be lauded to be honest. Bar 6 purple months he was another Wilson horror show scouting wise.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

On 25/09/2021 at 15:46, Nordic Saint said:

Vestergaard having his usual nightmare game for Leicester. He's so bad the commentators are saying they should take him off at half-time.

And Leicester fans have had enough of him already. They don't want to see him in their team any more:

Vestergaard signs - Page 17 - Leicester City Forum - FoxesTalk

This is great. Thank you for sharing :)

Koeman sack watch. 1D 4L in his last 5 champions league matches. 1W 1D 4L with Everton in the group stage 2017/18. The Midtjylland loss for us in the playoff. 1D 3L with Feyenoord in the playoff rounds the 2 years before joining us. His European record is beyond bad.

If they don't make it out of group stages it hits them even harder financially. The clubs a mess.

It's fascinating seeing how even clubs like Leicester can fall flat on their faces after a certain point. It's like they're a similarly sized club but with a massive case of the Midas touch, they can do no wrong, but then they overreach and troll us by signing our average personnel only to find that actually, Puel, Vest and Bertrand really weren't that great after all.

The Vestergaard signing is particularly humorous considering there were rumours about him joining them ever since the first 0-9.

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/126561-vestergaard-signs/page/26/#comments

This thread is absolutely hilarious 😂

I just hope we can get some wins and start to overtake them soon but the Leicester fans are not happy

That’s brilliant - I’d rightfully be fuming if I was a Leicester fan!

Saying that though I won’t laugh too hard as I’ve got a gut feeling we’re going to be feeling that way about Lyanco…

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Him and Jordan Robertson were quite the strike force.

Artur Boruc is also at Legia, but wasn’t playing tonight.

Did I read right somewhere that Robertson was arrested for dangerous driving?

Would quite like to know what happened to a few of these random players from those days.

Anyone remember Marcelo Sarmiento or Zoltan Liptak? 😂

On 26/09/2021 at 11:57, S-Clarke said:

I think his spell 'when we were good' is looking more and more like a purple patch to me and not his norm. Once he came back after his injury, which was a blow at the time, he reverted to old pretty much. Sloppy out of possession, weak, slow. Getting £15m for him should be lauded to be honest. Bar 6 purple months he was another Wilson horror show scouting wise.

I work with some Leicester fans so definitely a ‘no refunds’ policy where Jannik is concerned. Great for 3 months last season but otherwise terrible. Very poor even compared to our better DCs of the dismal 90s - Hall, Super Ken let alone the all time best ones eg Michael Svensson, VVD, Toby and Mark Wright. Wesley saves him from getting into the worst ever SFC top flight squad. And boy have we seen some astonishingly shit, overpaid players in the red and white stripes since 2016 when Les got the train set.

Ross and Les must have been consuming some strong stuff before and during the games they were watching - Vesty £17m, thanks for giving us 90% of that back Brendan, Hoedt a £4m player for £17m left on a free, Carrillo 10 games, £20m near enough, free…and so on.

Sad about Berty as great player for us overall but has just run out of petrol. Hope SFC starts trusting Perraud and teaming up KWP and Livra on the right. Tbh, I’m not sure Lyanco can be worse than Vesty even after a shaky start at SU, and he only cost an average Championship fee. At least he can run for a start.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, saint1977 said:

I work with some Leicester fans so definitely a ‘no refunds’ policy where Jannik is concerned. Great for 3 months last season but otherwise terrible. Very poor even compared to our better DCs of the dismal 90s - Hall, Super Ken let alone the all time best ones eg Michael Svensson, VVD, Toby and Mark Wright. Wesley saves him from getting into the worst ever SFC top flight squad. And boy have we seen some astonishingly shit, overpaid players in the red and white stripes since 2016 when Les got the train set.

Ross and Les must have been consuming some strong stuff before and during the games they were watching - Vesty £17m, thanks for giving us 90% of that back Brendan, Hoedt a £4m player for £17m left on a free, Carrillo 10 games, £20m near enough, free…and so on.

Sad about Berty as great player for us overall but has just run out of petrol. Hope SFC starts trusting Perraud and teaming up KWP and Livra on the right. Tbh, I’m not sure Lyanco can be worse than Vesty even after a shaky start at SU, and he only cost an average Championship fee. At least he can run for a start.

Bertrand was totally different to Vestergaard in the sense that we had some great times together, he was part of some of our best ever PL sides and gave us plenty back over numerous years. He was on the downturn though and we needed to evolve that spot, which we have done. Don't hold any grudges to Bertrand and I hope he does ok at Leicester, although he will prob be as quad player in the main.

Vestergaard was always limited tbh. It's interesting reading some of the posts on the Leicester forums, they're calling him their worst ever signing, the worst CB they've seen play for them etc. Granted, some of that is probably a bit OTT...but I didn't get the upset some had when he was sold. We were never going to miss Vestergaard really and it was a very good sale we could make to generate some funds without really weakening the side.

I'd have liked to have used the funds to get a more established CB in to replace him, but it won't take much for Lyanco to be better to be honest. 

• Like 2

One for the Where are they now? file. I was at the Scarborough Athletic v Mickleover match on Saturday, and the away goal scorer was one Lee Holmes... brought back memories of the Poortvliet era I'd rather forget!

• Like 1

It still bewilders me how Cedric, Hojbjerg, Vestergaard and a past his peak Bertrand earned steps up to the clubs competing for a top six place. I suppose at least Hojbjerg does a job, despite a lot of his game being average. But, none of them stood out here when they left and it's not a surprise to see they aren't enjoying any success at their new clubs. Just earning more money, I suppose, which is the key.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

It still bewilders me how Cedric, Hojbjerg, Vestergaard and a past his peak Bertrand earned steps up to the clubs competing for a top six place. I suppose at least Hojbjerg does a job, despite a lot of his game being average. But, none of them stood out here when they left and it's not a surprise to see they aren't enjoying any success at their new clubs. Just earning more money, I suppose, which is the key.

Because all 4 were starters for an average/bottom 6 PL team.

All these teams needed bigger squads so assumed our starters can fill the void when needed. With the exception of PEH possibly, the others were purchased to add some depth.

Once Fofana and Evans are back, Jannik will be 4th choice I'd assume, and similarly Luke Thomas and James Justin are seen as first choice left backs I think.

11 hours ago, 31cc said:

Lee Holmes... brought back memories of the Poortvliet era I'd rather forget

Didn’t he weirdly get fit on the way back through the Championship and play a reasonable number of games? He’s the almost completely forgotten man of that season but I’m sure he scored in a 4-0 or 4-1 against someone. Might have been Derby when Tadanari Lee scored a belter.

5 hours ago, 31cc said:

It was a good'un against Watford, plus 2 pens from SRL and a (non-offside!) goal from Guly 

(2) FLASHBACK: Southampton 4-0 Watford (1st October 2011) - YouTube

Thank you for posting that it was a good watch. Was Schneiderlin doing a paper round before the games in those days? Certainly looked young enough. Now I see why all the fuss about Guly here, he redefines effective and efficient stroller. Lambert yep had some great qualities.

But most dramatic of all who knew Sean Dyce had managed another team south of Burnley? Colour me shocked.

Plus yeah Lallana has always had great vision, sad how it ended with him and Saints, but he is still doing it for Brighton at an even slower pace in the PL!

Edited by HnycS

On 04/10/2021 at 17:05, HarvSFC said:

Yes. Hojbjerg is by far the most successful of the four. Even though defensive midfielder is not an eyecatching position, he is incredibly popular with Spurs fans and there was even talk of him being their player of the year.

"'He's a phenomenal player. Congratulations, Mr Levy."

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg: Is midfielder Spurs' most influential signing? - BBC Sport

4 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Yes. Hojbjerg is by far the most successful of the four. Even though defensive midfielder is not an eyecatching position, he is incredibly popular with Spurs fans and there was even talk of him being their player of the year.

"'He's a phenomenal player. Congratulations, Mr Levy."

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg: Is midfielder Spurs' most influential signing? - BBC Sport

Hojberg must have improved his passing ability since he left us as he was always giving the ball away.

Mario Lemina in the Athletic interview, with no hint of irony:

“When I first came to Southampton, I could say I came from Juventus and I could be arrogant about it,” he says. “But I worked my ass off every day to try and be the best Mario Lemina. I have never been arrogant 

• Confused 2

34 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Not so much defectors watch; but Rickie Lambert on Instagram is making his COVID stance known tonight.

Clearly spent too much time with Matt Le Tissier.

It's so sad seeing the pair of them carrying on like that. If anything Lambert is worse, his rantings seem somewhat unhinged and shouty.

Honestly, if I find out Marian Pahars is an anti-vaxxer I'm going to go and support Swindon or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Not so much defectors watch; but Rickie Lambert on Instagram is making his COVID stance known tonight.

Clearly spent too much time with Matt Le Tissier.

Both likely to be nominees for a Herman Cain award "Nominees have made public declaration of their anti-mask, anti-vax, or Covid-hoax views, followed by admission to hospital for Covid. The Award is granted upon the nominee's release from their Earthly shackles."

• 2 weeks later...

Vestergaard and Bertrand were Leicester's worst rated players again (they are every time they play).

"Jannik Vestergaard: Even in the middle of a back three where he has more protection, his lack of mobility is exposed":

Leicester City player ratings v Brighton: Barnes and Lookman take their chance in cup success - Leicestershire Live (leicestermercury.co.uk)

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1