Jump to content

Defectors Watch


adrian lord

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Because he was on loan from Reading. And there's no way we could have predicted that skinny little kid from back then would turn out to be a total beast mode. 

So was it Reading that wanted to keep him then. As I remember he and Pardew wanted him to stay here. Next I knew he was turning out at Colchester! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Michail Antonio is still spearheading a top 8 West Ham side. Why did we let him go? 

We wanted to keep him, but Reading wanted something like 1m. In hindsight that was a snip, but Cortese wouldn't pay that.

So we spent £750k on De Ridder instead.

Oh well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Michail Antonio is still spearheading a top 8 West Ham side. Why did we let him go? 

I remember watching him at the time, in the first team.  If I remember rightly, the common view was that he was fast but very raw and lacking ability at the time.  He needed serious coaching investment and I agree, it's a shame we didn't hang on to him and do it ourselves.  Win some, lose some.  

We've let go of a few high achievers over the years, but I'm sure all clubs are as guilty if not more so.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, S-Clarke said:

We wanted to keep him, but Reading wanted something like 1m. In hindsight that was a snip, but Cortese wouldn't pay that.

So we spent £750k on De Ridder instead.

Oh well.

I think Cortese probably felt Reading were taking the piss. I remember a fee of £250,00 was discussed/rumoured when the player first came to us then they hiked the price at the end of the season.

De Ridder was the season after promotion , so not an immediate replacement for Antonio.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We wanted to keep him, but Reading wanted something like 1m. In hindsight that was a snip, but Cortese wouldn't pay that.

So we spent £750k on De Ridder instead.

Oh well.

Who scored a cracker at Reading. Swings and roundabouts. 

Edited by Dr Who?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Whats up with Vestergaard? Doesnt even make the Leicester squad and they're having to play Amartey CB again

 

16 minutes ago, Nick75Sfc said:

Or Bertrand 

I understand Bertrand had covid. Vestergaard I'd imagine is unwell or injured. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

António murdered soyuncu. Hoping he has his usual hamstring strain by the time we play them.

Yep. Soyuncu doesn't get bullied too often, but he did tonight. Brilliant performance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I think Cortese probably felt Reading were taking the piss. I remember a fee of £250,00 was discussed/rumoured when the player first came to us then they hiked the price at the end of the season.

De Ridder was the season after promotion , so not an immediate replacement for Antonio.

Good point, was a year out on that one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Juanmi scored twice against Celtic this evening in Europa.

I read an interview with Hugo Scheckter a few months ago about a former Saints player whose Spanish wife settled so poorly in England that the club were forced to let the player leave for a lot less than his market value. No name was given but I presumed he was referring to Juanmi as the only Spanish player to leave in recent years, although I don't keep tabs on the nationality of player's spouses so it could have been someone else. There I was thinking it was that he wasn't really suited to English football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Juanmi scored twice against Celtic this evening in Europa.

I read an interview with Hugo Scheckter a few months ago about a former Saints player whose Spanish wife settled so poorly in England that the club were forced to let the player leave for a lot less than his market value. No name was given but I presumed he was referring to Juanmi as the only Spanish player to leave in recent years, although I don't keep tabs on the nationality of player's spouses so it could have been someone else. There I was thinking it was that he wasn't really suited to English football.

I was in The Costa del Sol  the preseason we signed him,  some ex pats were raving about him, reckoned we had an absolute gem on our hands.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FoxesTalk:

"Our defence without Evans is fvcking garbage."

"Defensive horror show."

"Defending this season has been atrocious. Look shaky every time the ball comes near our box."

"Centre defence was pretty weak"

"Soyuncu and Vestegaard scare me. The latter has to be the weakest player I've ever seen going shoulder to shoulder with a player."

"Problem with playing Evans and Vestergaard together is lack of pace - they got caught out lots of times in the first half."

"Vestergaard was very poor tonight, awful for their first goal and nowhere near their most dangerous player Osimhen for his headed goal, surely he should have been marking him ffs."

"I miss Fofana"

"Vestergaard looks weak and limp defensively."

"Vestegaard just literally gave up and let the Napoli striker just breeze past him. Shocking defending."

"Vestergaard is 8 foot 12 but hasn't got any shoulders."

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not just Leicester fans saying it either https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-player-ratings-v-5928431

Salisu is more of an athlete which is helping Stephens and tbh I’m not sure Lyanco will be worse than Vesty when gets opportunities. Soyuncu is a better partner for Vesty than Evans in a 4 at the back although looked like 3-5-2 or 5-3-2. Evans is a better defender and organiser but also not the quickest. 

Also quite a bit of trouble before, during and after the game between the fans with a dozen arrests and growing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

FoxesTalk:

"Our defence without Evans is fvcking garbage."

"Defensive horror show."

"Defending this season has been atrocious. Look shaky every time the ball comes near our box."

"Centre defence was pretty weak"

"Soyuncu and Vestegaard scare me. The latter has to be the weakest player I've ever seen going shoulder to shoulder with a player."

"Problem with playing Evans and Vestergaard together is lack of pace - they got caught out lots of times in the first half."

"Vestergaard was very poor tonight, awful for their first goal and nowhere near their most dangerous player Osimhen for his headed goal, surely he should have been marking him ffs."

"I miss Fofana"

"Vestergaard looks weak and limp defensively."

"Vestegaard just literally gave up and let the Napoli striker just breeze past him. Shocking defending."

"Vestergaard is 8 foot 12 but hasn't got any shoulders."

Seems we have got away with murder for once. Hide the money before they want to back!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the goal. I watched the match and Vestergaard was poor all round. Keeping players onside at times, slow against Napoli's attack, was booked for a late tackle on the halfway line. He wasn't even playing diagonal balls last night.

As said, he had three good months here in three years. He wasn't half as much of a loss as neutrals thought he was to us.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vestergaard having his usual nightmare game for Leicester. He's so bad the commentators are saying they should take him off at half-time.

 

And Leicester fans have had enough of him already. They don't want to see him in their team any more:

 

Vestergaard signs - Page 17 - Leicester City Forum - FoxesTalk

Edited by Nordic Saint
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

Vestergaard having his usual nightmare game for Leicester. He's so bad the commentators are saying they should take him off at half-time.

 

And Leicester fans have had enough of him already. They don't want to see him in their team any more:

 

Vestergaard signs - Page 17 - Leicester City Forum - FoxesTalk

Some very familiar comments in there.

Good job for us they didn't do their research on this board or we'd still have him here. Appears he's found his form there which isn't up to his 3-4 month purple patch he had with us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

Vestergaard having his usual nightmare game for Leicester. He's so bad the commentators are saying they should take him off at half-time.

 

And Leicester fans have had enough of him already. They don't want to see him in their team any more:

 

Vestergaard signs - Page 17 - Leicester City Forum - FoxesTalk

Vestie best not venture on to twitter, where he seems to be trending. Many seem impressed that we got £15m for him. Never like an ex player struggle. They're none too happy with Bertie either. 

Edited by angelman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Did anyone really believe that two average players from a mid-table club could help us...?"

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/126561-vestergaard-signs/?do=findComment&comment=6148833

 

This is what I find quite sad. LCFC and SFC really aren't hugely different, or rather there's no reason why we should be. But we are obviously down to the owners. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, angelman said:

"Did anyone really believe that two average players from a mid-table club could help us...?"

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/126561-vestergaard-signs/?do=findComment&comment=6148833

 

This is what I find quite sad. LCFC and SFC really aren't hugely different, or rather there's no reason why we should be. But we are obviously down to the owners. 

 

I wouldn't worry. If Leicester keep playing Vestergaard, we'll finish above them this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a result getting rid of both Bertrand and Vestegaard.

Bertrand was a good servant but crap the last year or so and Vestie was just crap except for one purple patch.  Can't believe Leicester gave Bertrand 2 years and paid 15 million for Vestie.

Salisu and Perraud are better than both.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})

{{comment