Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Jose Fonte captained Jeremy Pied's Lille to the French equivalent of the Community Shield tonight. They just play their version in Israel. A 1-0 win over Pochettino's PSG. But, don't worry, this is one of the two trophies Pochettino has won in his managerial career. Diallo's brother was playing left-back for PSG too, so plenty of Saints links within the match.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Bertrand starting at Wembley

Early start and no doubt new club bounce, but looks like a different player. Seems to have found those legs we thought he’d lost. 

14 minutes ago, SKD said:

Early start and no doubt new club bounce, but looks like a different player. Seems to have found those legs we thought he’d lost. 

Seems to have an energy that was missing for us at the end...

Suppose it happens, players need a change of scenery sometimes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Ofcourse it’s a trophy 🏆 ffs 🤦‍♂️ 

You’d surely enjoy it and can buy your half and half scarf and paint your face for a great day out. Tell the grandkids about the day and all your memories

47 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Ofcourse it’s a trophy 🏆 ffs 🤦‍♂️ 

Not for me or a lot of other people, https://shewore.com/2017/08/05/is-the-community-shield-a-real-trophy/ 

It's a good spectacle and one I'd loved Saints to be in. But its just a pre season charity match.

Leicester celebrated a bit too hard yesterday, thinking that way probably makes me sound miserable.

Edited by Fan The Flames

Re Bertrand - There is no doubting he served us well over the years but part of me thinks for the past couple of seasons he was "phoning in" his performance each week. He definitely looked "half arsed" towards the end. We needed to get rid with some fresh legs down the left (Perraud hopefully will supply that)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Having watched RB for for 70 mins yesterday, I didn't see anything different from his last few months with us. 

Watch him slip down to bit part player. I'm happy with the decision. 

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/126291-bertrand-signs/page/6/#comments

Leicester fans seem impressed and thinks he can take a set-piece.

I find it funny cos his set-pieces last season more often than not led to an opposition counter-attack

• Haha 2

Missed this at the weekend, but Lemina's debut at Nice ended with them winning 4-0 against Jose Fonte's champions Lille. 

Pretty good start at his new club. Once Schneiderlin is fit it will be interesting to see them link up in a Saints defectors midfield.

As the Brandon Williams rumour circulated on here for so long this summer, and the fan base was truly split on him be a potential legend or a massive waste of money, I feel he's earnt his place on the defectors thread. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does at Norwich. My guess right now, this season will be a steep learning curve for him ending in relegation. 

• Like 1

On 08/08/2021 at 09:24, whelk said:

Im hoping you are being sarcastic but anyone who thinks the community shield is a trophy is what is wrong with modern football

Sorry to back track 

But I would delighted to see Saints in the Charity Shield especially given the qualification criteria

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Saint Martini said:

Hoedt showing off his skills for Anderlecht tonight. Pathetic defending for Vitesse's 3rd goal. Loses the ball, doesn't bother tracking back. How Lazio conned Reed & Co. into believing he could play in the PL is beyond me.

Tall Dutch bloke who played CB and could hit an impressive pass out of defence (according to Youtube). Same boxes ticked as VVD. Obviously a surefire winner.

Les was perfectly relaxed about it.

On 08/08/2021 at 16:24, whelk said:

Im hoping you are being sarcastic but anyone who thinks the community shield is a trophy is what is wrong with modern football

Well it's not an apple is it?

It's not an FA Cup or Premier League title but it's a hell of a lot better than a kick in the teeth. Picking up silverware (of whatever kind) is the kind of thing ex-footballers remember when they're retired. Theo's 2 Community Shield medals look pretty nice in his trophy cabinet anyway.

Oh and yes you're right! Greedy agents, simulation, FIFA and bribery aren't what's wrong with modern football. No no, it's people thinking a trophy is a trophy that's really sticking the boot into our beautiful game. 

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 1

Just now, nta786 said:

I've not seen Ings goal, what surprised me more is Targett on the bench for Ashley Young 

Ashley young is massively experienced (many major medals), clearly in very good shape and still pretty quick.  Many things young Targett lacks

On 22/08/2021 at 16:47, Baird of the land said:

Amazed Cedric is still a premier league player. Amusing watching him standing yards behind Arsenal's offside line for that goal.

I didn't see it but he featured heavily (and not in a good way) in the match report I read.

I presume Bertrand and Vestergard are injured: neither on the bench tonight?

19 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

I didn't see it but he featured heavily (and not in a good way) in the match report I read.

I presume Bertrand and Vestergard are injured: neither on the bench tonight?

Bertrand tested positive for covid and Vesty picked up an injury in training during the week, I can't see anywhere what the injury is or how serious.