Defectors Watch

adrian lord

I'm pretty sure it only applies to the next time he is sold, and we didn't get that for Bale when he went to Real Madrid because we sold the clause for about £3 million in 2008 when we needed the cash. Apparently it would have been worth about £20 million too!

We did get something for Bale under the development rules, about £1.5m from memory.

Spot on.

It pulls up the ladder . Had FFP started when the premier league started chelsea and city would be ****ed. Now a RA or a rich Arab couldnt do the same to villa or Everton.

To be fair though, with the current rules in place we would have had trouble getting out of the Championship the way we did. Oddly enough, League One would not have been a problem.

Too late, only applies to players until they are 23 or so. GB is 25 going on 26. However,, we did receive compensation when he joined Real, even though he was 24 at the time.

Training compensation shall be paid to a player’s training club(s): (1) when a player signs his first contract as a professional and (2) each time a professional is transferred until the end of the season of his 23rd birthday."

How did we get out of the championship?

As I recall it had something to do with buying Billy Sharp to stop other people having him, then having Danny Fox, Jos, Connolly, Hammond and the bald one who wasn't Chris Marsden all being a bit rubbish but Kelvin having a good game away at Leeds and West Ham bottling it and only making the playoffs. And Steve De Ridder of course. And beating some team 4-0 at the end on the Gabby Logan show. And that Llama bloke too. I don't know really. Seems a long time ago.

Too late, only applies to players until they are 23 or so. GB is 25 going on 26. However,, we did receive compensation when he joined Real, even though he was 24 at the time.

Training compensation shall be paid to a player’s training club(s): (1) when a player signs his first contract as a professional and (2) each time a professional is transferred until the end of the season of his 23rd birthday."

You are agreeing with my point that we did get something when he joined Madrid.

As I recall it had something to do with buying Billy Sharp to stop other people having him, then having Danny Fox, Jos, Connolly, Hammond and the bald one who wasn't Chris Marsden all being a bit rubbish but Kelvin having a good game away at Leeds and West Ham bottling it and only making the playoffs. And Steve De Ridder of course. And beating some team 4-0 at the end on the Gabby Logan show. And that Llama bloke too. I don't know really. Seems a long time ago.

Yeah rings a bell. I also remember selling Oxo for a fat profit and only using crumbs from that on Jack Cork, who hemmed and hawed about joining us while knobbing TOWIE stars, a YouTube Frankenstein in Steve DeRidder while loaning a CB from Celtic (later made permanent) who liked to wisecrack about the weather, though was widely written before he had kicked a ball because some jocks thought he was gash, he had pinballed around the Swedish and Icelandic leagues and his name wasn't Kaspar (Gorkks).

Also have a vague recollection of how a motley crew of where-are-they-now strikers -from Craig McKail-Smith and Nicky Maynard to Jermaine Beckford and Sam Baldock turned us down because we supposedly couldn't compete with rivals on wages and ambition. Still we did get the Sheffield Inzaghi in January. As you say, seems a long time ago.

Edited by shurlock

By spending far in excess of what would be allowed under the current financial fair play rules.

I gathered that's what you're driving at; but interested to see the evidence, how the sale of Oxo factors in and how our record compared to the other clubs who, on the surface, spent much more than us.

Edited by shurlock

I gathered that's what you're driving at; but interested to see the evidence, how the sale of Oxo factors in and how our record compared to the other clubs who, on the surface, spent much more than us.

If I do the research to figure this out, it will written up as a blog post and we all know it is the sort of thing that saps some people's will to live. Do any of us really want that? (Also, I am swamped with work right now so big research blog projects are out.)

Edited by Redslo

The pass from Stirling, from which SRL then scored, was just about the first time one of his teammates gave him the ball in a good position in or around the penalty area. Given a decent service, he will still score. The look on his face as he ran towards the supporters in the crowd was priceless and indicates how passionate he is about scoring for his boyhood club. I only wish he gets a few goals at Anfield instead of always in away games. If he does move in the January window, I reckon he could still be an asset to one of the struggling EPL teams.

The pass from Stirling, from which SRL then scored, was just about the first time one of his teammates gave him the ball in a good position in or around the penalty area. Given a decent service, he will still score. The look on his face as he ran towards the supporters in the crowd was priceless and indicates how passionate he is about scoring for his boyhood club. I only wish he gets a few goals at Anfield instead of always in away games. If he does move in the January window, I reckon he could still be an asset to one of the struggling EPL teams.

I'm pretty surprised Stirling passed up the opportunity to run straight at Lambert before jinking into the penalty area and scuffing a shot into the keeper's hands.

I know it was his dream move and it is the club he supported all his life but it just looks so wrong seeing him in the Liverpool shirt celebrating like that!

Imagine how you would feel scoring for saints, that's how it feels for Rickie when he scores for Liverpool!

I scored 3 for saints at sms, it's not that great

(probably because I had the 3rd wrongly disallowed, and it was saints web supports match)

;)

its because you played for the wrong side. My team really enjoyed scoring, but they were a team

Still an outside chance of an all defectors final then. Hope Chelsea put Liverpool to the sword in the second league. Can't see Sheffield Utd being good enough to see off Spurs over two games, but we can hope.

Which would you least hate – Liverpool winning the cup or Spurs winning it? Whose smugness could you stomach most easily – Pinocchio's or the Liverpool Three's?

Still an outside chance of an all defectors final then. Hope Chelsea put Liverpool to the sword in the second league. Can't see Sheffield Utd being good enough to see off Spurs over two games, but we can hope.

Which would you least hate – Liverpool winning the cup or Spurs winning it? Whose smugness could you stomach most easily – Pinocchio's or the Liverpool Three's?

Liverpool. Nothing against SRL, Lallana (who also gave us many good years) will be on the bench, and Lovren will be in Liverpool watching it on the telly. MP on the other hand treated cups with total disdain when with us, so the last thing I want is that wanker winning one.

Liverpool. Nothing against SRL, Lallana (who also gave us many good years) will be on the bench, and Lovren will be in Liverpool watching it on the telly. MP on the other hand treated cups with total disdain when with us, so the last thing I want is that wanker winning one.

This, so much this.