Summer 2015 Hcdajfu thread ?

simo

Club need to pull their finger out, we have probably regressed with cedric at right back (don't doubt hed good but he'll need to adapt and will tire)... No strengthening of the GK situation, and we've bought a spare squad striker.

In comparison, we have lost the best English right back, will lose the leagues best DM, and will lose one of the leagues best CB's it appears.

On top of this we face a gruelling campaign in Europe with shed loads of travel and many more fixtures (we hope!)....

Not really too impressed with the club transfers thus far, our season starts early and no real improvements have been made nor look like being made.

Sorry to go all Alpine on you :)

Club need to pull their finger out, we have probably regressed with cedric at right back (don't doubt hed good but he'll need to adapt and will tire)...

There's no way of knowing how Cedric will do for us, but he has a good reputation in Portugal at club and national level and Fonte rates him highly so it bodes well. Time will tell though, so it's very unfair to say that we've regressed when he may turn out to be a better player for us than Clyne was.

No strengthening of the GK situation

I would say bringing in an experienced keeper like Stekelenburg on a loan deal is definitely strengthening - would you rather we kept Kelvin and Gazza for another season? Buying somebody like Krul or Begovic like a lot of people were suggesting wouldn't work out long-term as they will want to be first choice, which Forster is undoubtedly for us. What do we do when we have Forster and his replacement fit? This deal works for all parties involved.

and we've bought a spare squad striker.

Again, bit unfair on Juanmi. Similar to Cedric he has a good reputation at club and national level and is very versatile which means we may see him take up more attacking midfield roles while the likes of Shane Long are pushed up to more of a striker role (where he's more comfortable). Besides, the amount we paid for him represents a good deal for somebody that just won a cap for Spain and is viewed as an important part of their national team's future.

In comparison, we have lost the best English right back, will lose the leagues best DM, and will lose one of the leagues best CB's it appears.

On top of this we face a gruelling campaign in Europe with shed loads of travel and many more fixtures (we hope!)....

Do we know how to start a campaign any other way by now? :D

Not really too impressed with the club transfers thus far, our season starts early and no real improvements have been made nor look like being made.

I'm not sure what constitutes an improvement to you - the players we've signed could well be improvements but we have to see whether that's the case or not. We all know by now the level to which we scrutinise new arrivals at the club (Osvaldo aside...) so people at the club have faith that they'll deliver. I'd rather be signing young, promising players like we have than splashing cash left, right and centre on 'established Prem players'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33362759

At £9m, I'd like to see us nip in and buy him now. Surely Mane can tap him up .. sorry, let me re-phrase that ... can encourage him to come to us. Does he not look at Premier League tables? Come and play Europe League with a decent club.

At £9m, we don't need to delay until the MS situation resolves itself. It's pocket change these days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3147920/Southampton-Marseille-bid-10m-Idrissa-Gueye-despite-Lille-star-opening-talks-Aston-Villa.html

Southampton and Marseille bid £10m for Idrissa Gueye despite Lille star opening talks with Aston Villa

Idrissa Gueye was at Aston Villa's training ground for talks on Thursday

Villa had a £9m bid accepted for the midfielder but the deal is not complete

Southampton and Marseille both hope to beat Villa to the Senegal star

Gueye is expected to reject Marseille in favour of a Premier League move

published 5 hours ago.

Club need to pull their finger out, we have probably regressed with cedric at right back (don't doubt hed good but he'll need to adapt and will tire)... No strengthening of the GK situation, and we've bought a spare squad striker.

Sorry to go all Alpine on you :)

1. We've signed a goalkeeper.

2. Manage your expectations. We will not be hugely building up the squad. Well replace those who go but not a lot more. The rigours of the European campaign will be managed by using young players and probably sacrificing the league cup to the kids entirely.

3. We signed Mane on the last day of the window. It's highly likely the same thing will happen again. It's July 2nd.

There's no way of knowing how Cedric will do for us, but he has a good reputation in Portugal at club and national level and Fonte rates him highly so it bodes well. Time will tell though, so it's very unfair to say that we've regressed when he may turn out to be a better player for us than Clyne was.

I would say bringing in an experienced keeper like Stekelenburg on a loan deal is definitely strengthening - would you rather we kept Kelvin and Gazza for another season? Buying somebody like Krul or Begovic like a lot of people were suggesting wouldn't work out long-term as they will want to be first choice, which Forster is undoubtedly for us. What do we do when we have Forster and his replacement fit? This deal works for all parties involved.

Again, bit unfair on Juanmi. Similar to Cedric he has a good reputation at club and national level and is very versatile which means we may see him take up more attacking midfield roles while the likes of Shane Long are pushed up to more of a striker role (where he's more comfortable). Besides, the amount we paid for him represents a good deal for somebody that just won a cap for Spain and is viewed as an important part of their national team's future.

Do we know how to start a campaign any other way by now? :D

I'm not sure what constitutes an improvement to you - the players we've signed could well be improvements but we have to see whether that's the case or not. We all know by now the level to which we scrutinise new arrivals at the club (Osvaldo aside...) so people at the club have faith that they'll deliver. I'd rather be signing young, promising players like we have than splashing cash left, right and centre on 'established Prem players'.

The thing is, I don't see MS as an improvement to FF... On top of that, we don't actually have FF for at least half the campaign. So actually all we have done is go from one first choice and KD/Gazza to a slightly worse first choice (or the same ability) and KD/Gazza - that is not an improvement nor is it strengthening and should not be classed as such. (It is simply treading water of which I do not complain about in this case overly).

Cedric is by all accounts a good player, fine... But as we saw last year, not one of our foreign league players came in and lasted the whole campaign and faded in and/or out. Most also had to get used to the league, and the lack of a christmas break also took its toll. If you are banking on Cedric being different to that then I think that is a risky assumption. He is therefore replacing clyne, who is a very good prem right back and plays like such for the vast majority of the season. We have also lost our back up.... Therefore I class cedric as a slight reccession in terms of defending.

We are also losing MS.... he will not be replaced by someone at the same level. Simple fact.

We also look to be losing Toby - i hope this is not the case but I can't see Levy flying out there for any other reason (fingers crossed however)!!

Junami is what, squad depth for the shane long/mane role. All very good but attacking we are actually very strong in really: Pelle/Jay/Tadic/Long/Mane/Junami/Gallagher/seager(?)

So yes, signing Juami is "strengthening" but not in a major way.

As I said above, the season starts early and we will need to be better than last year in order to remain competitive. At present we are not, Toby has gone at present, MS is going, and clyne/cedric (you decide if thats an improvement/treading water/worse)....

The club clearly has the money having not managed to spend the Looserpool/arse/manure fees yet, let alone the two seasons of increased TV money and prize funds. And they need to invest it in a couple of quality players to replace Toby and MS and get some 1 or 2 further cover players.

Considering that we'll bank £39m from MS/Clyne/Toby, still have a nice chunk of last years transfer income and and the tv revenues/prize money... we need to spend and improve! Certainly more than we have done so far.

I do believe the club will do this. But its not "getting players in early" from an improvement position if by the end of the weekend we've lost Morgan, toby, clyne and Forster and signed Junami, Cedric and MS..... I think thats a valid point tbh.

That's a lot of assumptions that are quite likely not to be true.

You seem to forget that there were a lot of new players last year and they have only had 1 season together and in the premier league for a lot of them. Plus a lot of our younger players are a year older which is not to be understated.

I'm expecting for Pelle, Tadic, Mane, JWP, Reed, Targett, Stephens & Gallagher to all have better seasons than last year. With our excellent experienced core continuing to play to the standard of last season + Throwing in a JRod to the mix!

CB and a replacement for Morgan is all that is really required this summer. If we sell Gaston for some small £££, then there will probably be an AMC as well - Praet seems quite popular according to he press.

The thing is, I don't see MS as an improvement to FF... On top of that, we don't actually have FF for at least half the campaign. So actually all we have done is go from one first choice and KD/Gazza to a slightly worse first choice (or the same ability) and KD/Gazza - that is not an improvement nor is it strengthening and should not be classed as such. (It is simply treading water of which I do not complain about in this case overly).

Cedric is by all accounts a good player, fine... But as we saw last year, not one of our foreign league players came in and lasted the whole campaign and faded in and/or out. Most also had to get used to the league, and the lack of a christmas break also took its toll. If you are banking on Cedric being different to that then I think that is a risky assumption. He is therefore replacing clyne, who is a very good prem right back and plays like such for the vast majority of the season. We have also lost our back up.... Therefore I class cedric as a slight reccession in terms of defending.

We are also losing MS.... he will not be replaced by someone at the same level. Simple fact.

We also look to be losing Toby - i hope this is not the case but I can't see Levy flying out there for any other reason (fingers crossed however)!!

Junami is what, squad depth for the shane long/mane role. All very good but attacking we are actually very strong in really: Pelle/Jay/Tadic/Long/Mane/Junami/Gallagher/seager(?)

So yes, signing Juami is "strengthening" but not in a major way.

As I said above, the season starts early and we will need to be better than last year in order to remain competitive. At present we are not, Toby has gone at present, MS is going, and clyne/cedric (you decide if thats an improvement/treading water/worse)....

The club clearly has the money having not managed to spend the Looserpool/arse/manure fees yet, let alone the two seasons of increased TV money and prize funds. And they need to invest it in a couple of quality players to replace Toby and MS and get some 1 or 2 further cover players.

Considering that we'll bank £39m from MS/Clyne/Toby, still have a nice chunk of last years transfer income and and the tv revenues/prize money... we need to spend and improve! Certainly more than we have done so far.

I do believe the club will do this. But its not "getting players in early" from an improvement position if by the end of the weekend we've lost Morgan, toby, clyne and Forster and signed Junami, Cedric and MS..... I think thats a valid point tbh.

Morgan is a fantastic player, but he's not Maradona. He is replaceable, just as Lambert , Lovren and Lallana were.

You make some good points. I think Cedric can comfortably fill Clyne's shoes. He wasn't exactly a 7/10 every week. Spend enough money and Morgan can be replaced as well. Pelle doesn't have anyone really competing for his place. We have other good attackers, Jay, Long and Mane I rate highly, but they play different roles to Pelle. I would still love us to sign Charlie Austin. He can play the same role as Pelle, is a great finisher and a proper grafter. We'd have goals all over the place. Toby at the back and we're almost there.

^ If all these recent stories are true, we can certainly start crossing off some of the defensive midfielder names we've been linked to this summer.

Jordy Clasie / N'golo Kante / Idrissa Gueye / Alex Song / Grzegorz Krychowiak / Sven Bender / Gianelli Imbula / Marco Benassi / Yohan Cabaye

^ If all these recent stories are true, we can certainly start crossing off some of the defensive midfielder names we've been linked to this summer.

I reckon most realistic 'remaining' of those would be Benassi and Clasie

Bender and Krychowiak probably out of our league

1. We've signed a goalkeeper.

2. Manage your expectations. We will not be hugely building up the squad. Well replace those who go but not a lot more. The rigours of the European campaign will be managed by using young players and probably sacrificing the league cup to the kids entirely.

3. We signed Mane on the last day of the window. It's highly likely the same thing will happen again. It's July 2nd.

Him and Toby wasn't it.

Just to put things into perspective, last season our first signing was Tadic on 8th July.

Went and found this match for those that are interested in how Jordy Clasie plays and if he is "big" enough for the EPL as he hacks and gets hacked here and delivers consistent corners something we have been lacking, also I forgot he man marked Messi in the 2nd half of the world cup semi final, his 1st appearance of the tournament.

I watched this game and he was fantastic and was everywhere dragging the rest of the team with him looking for the winning goal.

Good scout report as well on how he would be a great buy for us - http://www.thefootyblog.net/2015/01/26/jordy-clasie-could-be-classy-buy-for-southampton/

This game is getting tasty, clasie looking immense, ajax players doing some world class play acting, some classic Klinsman dives from goalie and midfielders.

Toby A presented to the crowd with Daley Blind so the fans said thank you at half time.

Edited by Convict Colony

Went and found this match for those that are interested in how Jordy Clasie plays and if he is "big" enough for the EPL as he hacks and gets hacked here and delivers consistent corners something we have been lacking, also I forgot he man marked Messi in the 2nd half of the world cup semi final, his 1st appearance of the tournament.

I watched this game and he was fantastic and was everywhere dragging the rest of the team with him looking for the winning goal.

Good scout report as well on how he would be a great buy for us - http://www.thefootyblog.net/2015/01/26/jordy-clasie-could-be-classy-buy-for-southampton/

Based on that video he plays like a later-years Paul Scholes IMO.

Reminds me a bit of Makelele, not a big player but in the right place at the right time defensively.

He looks to be better on the ball than Makele, but you're right, he seems like a magnet where the ball's concerned. Often just seems to be in the right place.

PALACE CONFIRM CABAYE INTEREST

Crystal Palace co-chairman Steve Parish has confirmed the club are interested in signing PSG midfielder Yohan Cabaye.

Speaking to Sunday Supplement presenter Neil Ashton on talkSPORT yesterday, the Palace chief said of the former Newcastle man: "That’s definitely one we would like to do. It would be a massive thing for the club obviously.

"He’s a seasoned international, so it’s definitely one we are working on."

He looks to be better on the ball than Makele, but you're right, he seems like a magnet where the ball's concerned. Often just seems to be in the right place.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's usually what happens with a player's highlights package.

SKY SOURCES: WIJNALDUM UPDATE

There has been lots of paper talk that Newcastle are close to signing midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum from PSV, but Sky sources understand the Dutch side have had no contact from the Magpies.

Wijnaldum is due to return to pre-season training tomorrow, and missed today's 6-0 friendly win over Eindstand SV Dosko because he was given extra time off, along with other international players who were involved in the Euro qualifiers last month.

PSV have also had no expressions of interest from Roma, who have also been linked with the 24-year-old, but they have had one official bid from Zenit.

Wijnaldum is valued at £15million, has a gentleman's agreement that PSV will let him leave this summer, and his agent is working on getting him a move to England.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's usually what happens with a player's highlights package.

Its not really a "best bits" video, it shows all his touches in one game vs Ajax.

Trust me I watched that entire game (think it was on a sunday before one of our games) and he was fantastic hence pulling out that youtube clip summary.

If i was to pull out a highlights video it would of been even more immense.(sod it I just have)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHN0C7AkRYU

I think for 15m euro's his age and ability it really isn't much of a risk considering Koeman has worked with him before.

Maybe its been agreed and he will play both sides for Feyanoord v Southampton friendly as a farewell (they seem very very big on farewells in holland - Toby/Daley Blind and the above game and Koemans send off at Feyanoord).

Anyway him and Wijinaldum would make me very happy for 25mil.

Koeman has confirmed in his press conference that pending what happens with Schneiderlin and Toby, Saints are done in the transfer window after the impending signing of this defender from FC Twente. I suspect we've spent about £9m on Juanmi and Soares combined, who knows what this bloke from FC Twente will cost (not much I presume), and £10m out for Clyne and Osvaldo paid off as well. Not much spent at all - I've always said I don't think there is much money about.

Cuco Martina apparently on his way. Never heard of him personally.

Didn't watch the presser - but reading tweets made it sound as if after this guy our business might be done?

(Replacements for Toby & Morgan not withstanding)

Koeman has confirmed in his press conference that pending what happens with Schneiderlin and Toby' date=' Saints are done in the transfer window after the impending signing of this defender from FC Twente. I suspect we've spent about £9m on Juanmi and Soares combined, who knows what this bloke from FC Twente will cost (not much I presume), and £10m out for Clyne and Osvaldo paid off as well. Not much spent at all - I've always said I don't think there is much money about.[/quote']

Or you could read it in the much more likely angle, we don't really need to go spending if we keep Toby and Morgan.

Or you could read it in the much more likely angle, we don't really need to go spending if we keep Toby and Morgan.

I'd expected that Saints would get another CF in case Pelle doesn't deliver like he did in too many games last season? Guess I expected wrong then...

I'd expected that Saints would get another CF in case Pelle doesn't deliver like he did in too many games last season? Guess I expected wrong then...

We have Rodriguez this season no?

Yeah- i can see Djuricic and Elia not being bought and replaced by Juanmi and Gaston.

Jay Rod is the extra striker that we want.

Cedric replaces Clyne.

Everything else so far the same- let's just tie up Toby.