Saints v Everton Match Thread

Suhari

Holes in the midfield I agree with and we are looking lightweight but, perhaps more concerning, is that to a man we have not looked good.

Pelle, has battled, Tadic has put in one or two decent balls ... other then that I'm stumped for positives other then hopefully the players come out fired up for the second half and we can make a game of it! We get a goal early doors and it may unsettle Everton a little.

Everton have not looked brilliant but have crowded out the space in front of the cbs well and counter attacked superbly!

You can't sell top quality players every year, replace them on the cheap with "highly rated" players from Europe and constantly get away with it. It worked last year, doesn't look like it has this year (or at least not yet).

We are starting the season without an on the pitch replacement for Toby or Morgan and it shows (yes I know Clasie is injured).

At the game. We are getting utterly teabagged.

I did warn you all, but was shouted down for pointing out that our replacements are well below par.

This could end 4 or 5-0. They're passing it through our midfield utterly effortlessly.

At least now that he hasn't got MS to babysit him the garbage about Steven Davis being anything above bang average should die out. Especially as he hasnt won a single 50/50 so far

Frankly, it's an almost arrogant (for lack of a better word) line-up, perhaps based on our performances last season with this formation. Certainly a reality check - Davis & Wanyama cannot cope in a 2 man midfield, period. With Yoshida and Targett behind, why not opt for Caution to begin with for Christ's sake (I.e. 3CMs).

Reminds me of that West Brom game from a couple of seasons ago. We just seem to have no answer to their running power in attack - Lukaku & Barkley seem untouchable. We've also been typically indecisive in attack, with the usual suspects moving the ball far too slowly & always looking to push it wide with no variation (compare how many times Everton have already attacked centrally).

I can't believe Ron has got the formation this wrong again like last week. The gaping holes in the midfield are there for all to see.

Long has offered nothing so far today. He shouldn't have started IMO - should have been Reed or JWP to give better protection to the defence.

I'm with you on this. Last week was a warning but Ron doesn't seem to have taken any notice. Today falls squarely at RK's feet I'm sorry to say.

A little perspective, guys. It's bad, and I agree our midfield way underpowered. But there are always two teams involved. Everton have been excellent, really excellent. It's not over yet, either. A goal in the first 15 mins of second half, and we can still win it. Let's see how Koeman reshapes. And, if you want a silver lining, this will confirm club's determination to buy before deadline.

:lol:

Too right, they should've just locked them up and refused to let them go... even the one we didn't own.

Thought we had first option to buy him? How did that turn out?

And I stand by what I said. If you let key elements of your defence leave you are going to be weaker. It should of been worse if it wasn't for the save from Barkley.

We could of said no to selling them couldn't we? Or is it a case of letting players do what they want?

At the game. We are getting utterly teabagged.

I did warn you all, but was shouted down for pointing out that our replacements are well below par.

This could end 4 or 5-0. They're passing it through our midfield utterly effortlessly.

At least now that he hasn't got MS to babysit him the garbage about Steven Davis being anything above bang average should die out. Especially as he hasnt won a single 50/50 so far

Ross Barclay running the show. Midfield utterly invisible and the fullbacks looking really poor defensively. Oh well

Players may have been poor first half but i've got to say Koeman has got it wrong this time and needs to take a fair bit of the blame. Davis just can't play that defensive midfield position properly - doesn't give enough cover defensively and can't go forward as much as he needs to hold his position. Obviously hasn't learnt from the Newcastle goal last week leading to us being caught on the break from our own corner again. Long might as well not be on the pitch for all he's done which again has left Targett exposed.

Not sure what we're trying to do in terms of attacking tactics either. Don't seem to be getting too much down the wings via long or Tadic but likewise Mane not really dropping off in the centre to link up play meaning there's a lot of long balls to Pelle up front. Just look so unbalanced. Stick Reed or Romeu next to Wanyama and get Long off.

It's almost like Koeman didn't see the game last week and decided a team that is unbalanced and creates enough space in the midfield for the opposition to drive a bus through could work.

We've got what we have deserved.

However, independent of shape, balance, and tactics, what on earth is going on with our passing - this is the third game in a row now where it has been absolutely shocking. As bad as it has been since we've been back in the Premier League.

Unfair on Targett. He's completely unprotected from midfield. Cedric's really dismal defensively. Koeman's got one hell of a job to do shoring up our defense. How are well going to cope with injuries once the games come in thick and fast.

Kind of feel the Europa hoodoo has struck early.

Davis can't play the Schneiderlin role, put this new guy on FFS

A big ask when he joined midweek though. Shouldn't have taken until mid-August to get CM and DC sorted though, Juanmi is a nice bonus signing but in an area where we already had some depth and we've barely used him yet.

Just poor all-round today and easily worst performance since Ronald joined, can only assume the injury has taken his eye off the ball temporarily. He's been let down by Davis,Tadic, Soares, Long though, all have been pathetic, particularly Tadic who I'd haul off. Fair play to Everton for the execution on the first counter but the second has been made far too easy.

Need another beast in the CM area to accompany Victor and loan out some of the powder puff - JWP, Tadic. Won't criticise the CBs - other than Fonte's recommendation on Cedric - because the full backs are so poor they are constantly having to pull across and organise them. Roll on Bertrand returning but get Martina on for powder-puff Cedric because whatever his limitations, at least he'll make some effort at defending. Reed on for Tadic as well, would sub Long but we're 2 down.

Frankly, it's an almost arrogant (for lack of a better word) line-up, perhaps based on our performances last season with this formation. Certainly a reality check - Davis & Wanyama cannot cope in a 2 man midfield, period. With Yoshida and Targett behind, why not opt for Caution to begin with for Christ's sake (I.e. 3CMs).

+1, we have given Everton very little respect with this lineup. On the plus side home and away against Everton will have little baring on our season.

Nowhere near the quality of last seasons team yet, need to stop messing about with the CB situation. Our midfield is also offering close to no protection atm, and is Clasie really the player to put a stop to that? Hopefully we bring on Romeu for tadic or davis and hope we can scrap for a point.

What it reminds me of is that initial Prem period under Adkins when we tried playing Schneiderlin and Davis in the holding MF role.. once Cork came back from injury it turned around, and allowed Davis to go more forward. I'm concerned that Victor is often up ahead of Davis today. That just doesn't seem right.

Of course we had Jos and Fox playing back then, so there's no real comparison. Victor does seem both alone and too far forward though. Just made me think how Davis wasn't a holding midfielder.

We were NEVER outplayed before. Not ever ever.

Leicester City

01 Schmeichel

27 Wasilewski Booked

14 Huth

05 Morgan

11 Albrighton

08 James (Drinkwater - 13' )

19 Cambiasso

15 Schlupp

26 Mahrez

23 Ulloa (Hammond - 78' )

09 Vardy (Nugent - 70' )

Southampton

25 Gazzaniga

02 Clyne

06 Fonte

17 Alderweireld

21 Bertrand

28 Reed

12 Wanyama

08 Davis (Djuricic - 66' )

10 Mané

22 Elia (Long - 66' )

19 Pellè

No protection for our full backs again today Long keeps drifting in to the middle and no one moves over to cover leaving targett exposed time and again targett is getting turned inside out.

Get the new bloke on and move Davis over to the left.

Cedric isn't getting much from Tadic either watching him trying to stop Luakuku earlier for the first goal was like watching a small animal trying stop a bulldozer.

Also second game in a row when we've conceded from us having a corner getting done with a quick counter attack.

Ross Barclay running the show. Midfield utterly invisible and the fullbacks looking really poor defensively. Oh well

Don't think you can blame the full backs. Getting no protection from the wide midfielders. Davis is no Schniederlin either, so once Everton break there are massive gaps.

A big ask when he joined midweek though. Shouldn't have taken until mid-August to get CM and DC sorted though, Juanmi is a nice bonus signing but in an area where we already had some depth and we've barely used him yet.

Just poor all-round today and easily worst performance since Ronald joined, can only assume the injury has taken his eye off the ball temporarily. He's been let down by Davis,Tadic, Soares, Long though, all have been pathetic, particularly Tadic who I'd haul off. Fair play to Everton for the execution on the first counter but the second has been made far too easy.

Need another beast in the CM area to accompany Victor and loan out some of the powder puff - JWP, Tadic. Won't criticise the CBs - other than Fonte's recommendation on Cedric - because the full backs are so poor they are constantly having to pull across and organise them. Roll on Bertrand returning but get Martina on for powder-puff Cedric because whatever his limitations, at least he'll make some effort at defending. Reed on for Tadic as well, would sub Long but we're 2 down.

Good summary. Wide open through midfield - full backs look shaky and indifferent performances from Tadic and Long - who is better suited as a sub.

Except no one has said any of this. Caulker is cover for Gardos and Clasie is not Morgan's replacement.

You're just another whining sap who has not been paying attention.

Sadly fry, you are about the biggest mong on here these days :lol:

There are pages of threads to read through which have ample quotes to the above effect. If you can't handle that the club's summer could have been better i suggest you put the keyboard down.

There is still 45min to go and time for Big Ron to turn this around. Calm down, stop insulting fellow (i query that with you) fans for a change and support the team maybe?

All it needs is an early goal and for us to stop over committing the fullbacks quite so much as we are clearly wide open to the counter.

Also second game in a row when we've conceded from us having a corner getting done with a quick counter attack.

Not just two games in a row but almost twice today. Targett's booking - before the goal - came after Davis failed to clear the front defender with his corner. Yet again.

The Romeu introduction shows that RK realizes he got it wrong.

I was expecting some hysteria on here, but bloody hell.

Not watching the game but seen the goals - really poor defending for both. Romeu for Tadic is the right substitution.