WBA 0-0 SAINTS Post Match Misery

nta786

VVD the only bright spot for me; though an away point in not be scoffed at. Surprised that Long or Juanmi didn't make a late second half appearance and once again James Ward-Prowse was totally underwhelming.

I just don't understand why we persist with JWP. I'd have rather seen Davis playing that role and Romeu coming in to the starting 11. I totally agree with you about, Long & Juanmi. Players like that can change a game.

J

what player ratings have i given that are 'laughable'...cheers

Virtually all of them, you have a near vendetta against Pelle and are clueless as far as he is concerned and just

stupid with other players.

I bet you must have got over excited in your pants about your favourite club beating Chelsea today???

We never looked like losing. Free header from Dawson & Stelenburg dropping the ball aside we were never troubled.

Problem is, we didn't really look like scoring either.

VVD was easily our MOM. Can't believe Batman thought Tadic was. Even Wanyama was better than him.

Pelle had a poor game, but didn't get any service. I would have tried Long or Juanmi.

Surprised Romeu was dropped. Clasie will come in for JWP when fit.

We lost here last season so a point gained.

We never looked like losing. Free header from Dawson & Stelenburg dropping the ball aside we were never troubled.

Problem is, we didn't really look like scoring either.

VVD was easily our MOM. Can't believe Batman thought Tadic was. Even Wanyama was better than him.

Pelle had a poor game, but didn't get any service. I would have tried Long or Juanmi.

Surprised Romeu was dropped. Clasie will come in for JWP when fit.

We lost here last season so a point gained.

I can't believe it either as have no idea why you think I said that

put me in the camp that we can't afford to have JWP and Davis on the field at the same time. They offer no offensive threat.

Today, Tadic was the only player delivering the ball in front of the goal. He can't do it alone.

of our 5 realistic goal scorers today; Pelle, JRod, Davis, JWP, and Tadic; only one showed up. Past history tells us that JWP and Davis are not going to score. So, only really 3 goal scorers and one of those is coming off an 18 month layoff. And Pelle just had an off day, it happens.

I was keeping my fingers crossed VvD was going to create some sort of magic off a corner or set piece or we could get lucky with some sort of ricochet'd shot.

NOW, the positives.. 3 clean sheets in a row. The defense is really what buoyed us last year. With Bertrand coming back, VvD in place, and our defensive midfield sorted, I think opponents are going to find goals hard to come by. It was my first time seeing VvD play and I was impressed. He looked tall and big out there, made Big Vic look relatively puny. I am liking the cut of his jib. I saw only one positional error from VvD and that was in the second half, when one of the West Brom players got the ball the box and looked to threaten, but he ended up skying it over the crossbar. (It looked like the WBrom player was offside on that play, but the flag stayed down.)

and like most, I hope Clasie can be that creative spark in middle of the pitch this season when he returns. That remains to be seen, but considering his size and the physicality of the PL, it would seem that is where he would fit best.

overall, a dull game, we got an away point, we got the clean sheet, we build from there.

Not the greatest afternoon, but away draws are okay if you're not at your best. Especially since (from where I was, yet to see replay) we should have conceded a penalty and red card for that Targett tackle early on.

Biggest problem for me was the tempo - we passed around them with relative ease but couldn't move the ball fast enough to draw defenders out of position and exploit the gaps. Ward-Prowse was the only one who seemed to grasp the need to up the tempo and had a really good spell in the second half where he was spreading the play and dictating nicely. Shame he ruined it with some mistakes late on.

Van Dijk looked the business, but West Brom didn't really test him.

Dreadful Today showed up Koeman's limitations - he didn't even use all three subs. We have a right to expect better than that.

I hope you weren't the guy booing and making w**king gestures at our players at full time.

Edited by DuncanRG

I hope you weren't the guy booing and making w**king gestures at our players at full time.

Plenty of fans moaning all game, ridiculous.

On top of singing about players that don't play for us anymore (Lambert), weren't playing at the time (Mane), didn't want to play for us two weeks ago (Wanyama).

Decent point, just wish we'd gone for it a bit more with another sub in the last 15 and tried to sneak the win. Van Dijk strolled through the game and his distribution was excellent. Looks like we've picked up another gem, he was my MOTM.

Not a great atmosphere. We had over 2500 there but most only seemed to want to make a noise when Lambert went off. Take a look at the players wearing our shirt and maybe think about singing for them eh?

Tough run of games coming up now so it's encouraging that we are keeping clean sheets because we'll need our defence to be solid.

I can't believe Romeu was dropped, he has looked our most consistent midfielder since he arrived. Very strange decision for me.

Is it? Two DMs would have been overkill against WBA -and that proved the case. Romeu has shown little going forward (even compared with Davis/JWP), so it was ultimately a choice between him and Wanyama. Wanyama may have been a c**t but he's also the better player IMO -and critically, the more mobile of the two. Wanyama had a very good game as it turned out, though he got sloppier towards the end of the game.

Glass half full - considering where we were a few weeks ago the last two games we've looked much more like our old selves, we should have taken 6 points but I guess we'll take 4 points. We've tightened up at the back and we've got rid of the hoofing, VVD looked really good, Tadic showing some promise. Always hard to play against a Pullis side, 8 men behind the ball, hoof, foul, kick, repeat. We were by far the better side today, we never looked like losing, unfortunately we lack a 'number 10',

Ho hum, random made up statistic, we've had more 0-0's this season than we had in 46 games in the championship (possibly?)

.I saw only one positional error from VvD and that was in the second half, when one of the West Brom players got the ball the box and looked to threaten, but he ended up skying it over the crossbar. (It looked like the WBrom player was offside on that play, but the flag stayed down.)

In VvD's defence, some smuck (I can't recall who) lost possession on our left flank, which then placed the back two under direct pressure (I.e. Rondon).

Edited by Donatello

Plenty of fans moaning all game, ridiculous.

On top of singing about players that don't play for us anymore (Lambert), weren't playing at the time (Mane), didn't want to play for us two weeks ago (Wanyama).

:mcinnes:

Firstly, they can sing about who they want. They paid to travel there. Secondly, one moment (two songs) to acknowledge one of our greatest players. Thirdly, Mane was warming up and clearly readying himself to come on.

Point is fine just don't like the negative tactics. And why drop romeu who has been excellent? Davis as attacking midfielder has always led to a lot of problems scoring and it's not going to change. Really frustrating he's still in there and can see a lot of games this season like this. Pelle can't be subbed yet he's been dire in most away games. Why not throw juanmi or long on?

It's a good point IF we beat Utd, so no pressure then.

Koeman is just a very negative manager so we have to just get used to it. More games than not JWP and Davis will start, we'll only have 2 players on the pitch offering any sort of goal threat and he'll continue to be bemused as to why we don't score anough goals.

He's more interested in clean sheets than scoring goals

They give penalties for intent now do they? Because he jumps no contact is made - no contact, no foul, no penalty. The vine in one of the posts above shows pretty clearly that he jumps over the challenge without contact. His own fault for not getting the penalty that would have been nailed on if he hadn't hurdled it.

I seem to recall us being given one for intent against Villa. The defender swung at J-Rod who went down without any contact at all. It wasn't even close to an actual foul.

From a baggies fan on another site;

"That Van Dijk looked absolutely ridiculous. To consistently out jump and out muscle Rondon is not easy, but he looked outstanding. I'm not exaggerating but he's possibly the best player I've seen this season bar the likes of Yaya Toure and Silva, everything he did was timed to perfection."

A few agreed. He looked good. I'm impressed so far. Sterner tests to come though.

VVD is immense, what a signing he is going to turn out to be. Good of Pulis to agree it was a dive, it clearly was. Good form by the Saints fans to sing a song for Rickie, always going to be a Saints legend (see the banner). Other than that not much worth staying up until 2am for. Nice to go to bed with a point though, way better than losing.

Dull game but I'm ok with that performance. Much better than the 0-0 v Watford. Confident we have a firm defensive foundation to build on. Flawless performance from VVD. As so often, struggled to create much but that's been the story so often, especially against West Brom. From behind the goal it was apparent there was space on occasions between West Brom's fullbacks and centrebacks which we didn't exploit. That's surely what JR was on there to do.

Seems to me a lot of people are underestimating the effect of leaving Wanyama on the naughty step as part of his re-integration plan. It was important to get him back into the team spirit as quickly as possible, and it worked.

It's also important to slow down Romeu's attempt to collect the most yellow cards in a single season.

"That Van Dijk looked absolutely ridiculous. To consistently out jump and out muscle Rondon is not easy, but he looked outstanding. I'm not exaggerating but he's possibly the best player I've seen this season bar the likes of Yaya Toure and Silva, everything he did was timed to perfection."

A few agreed. He looked good. I'm impressed so far. Sterner tests to come though.

What site is that from?

I think after a couple of outstanding seasons we are going to have to get used to some drab performances this year and I think RK will be very happy with mid-table mediocrity. Some of his team selections this year have left me scratching my head and I think he has gone into his shell. I still haven't got over his bizarre team he picked in Denmark and allowing Wanyama back into the team ahead of Romeu who gave his all in Denmark and v Norwich does not send out the right vibes.

I think after a couple of outstanding seasons we are going to have to get used to some drab performances this year and I think RK will be very happy with mid-table mediocrity. Some of his team selections this year have left me scratching my head and I think he has gone into his shell. I still haven't got over his bizarre team he picked in Denmark and allowing Wanyama back into the team ahead of Romeu who gave his all in Denmark and v Norwich does not send out the right vibes.

If you keep losing your best players and have a low net spend it will eventually catch up with you but we should do fine this season once we settle down into some rythmn.

With Targett and JWP in the team you have to say a point is a magnificent result.

Nothing like giving some youngsters a chance is there? Get used to having young players who are notate the finished article as that is the blueprint of our club. Targett has faced some very decent wingers and done ok.each game he learns a little more and in time will do ok. Perhaps not a top 4 player but good enough.

Decent result, WBA were shocking and we really should have taken advantage of that. We cannot afford to keep playing JWP and Davis in the same team.Van Dijk looks class. The goals will come enventually, but it's clear already we won't be improving on last season, but that's understandable.

We really need Clasie and Betrand back, then we will have a strong first 11.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

This is JWP's 4th season though and from open play he hasn't noticeably improved.

That is the concern, he isnt really a kid anymore experience wise.

A player like Jordan Henderson eventually improved a lot in a short space of time and turned promise into impact.

That is what JWP, after over 75 games, needs to start doing.

RK reaction to the draw -

we played good football until we reached their box

we had a lot of possession but not many chances

we play like the home team

we had one big one with rodriguez but if you cant score, you dont lose and get at least 1 point away

clean sheets are important. WBA had little chances other than from our own mistakes

we had good ball possession, good organisation and good defending but you have to expect more quality and create more than we did

being unbeaten in 3 away games is positive but we would like to have won.

we like to go up the table more and playing more like this, the wins will come

we have to improve in front of goal.

we had some bad experiences from last season that we must learn from, we have to improve

we have good players with some misunderstandings in the 2nd half in front of goal

the key in to play more like we did today but improve that final pass or the final ball in the box

VvD looked very comfortable. Looked very impressive. Good passing. Good defending. Very good signing

Victor looked good and strong

Matt Target took a risk with that challenge with the ref possibly giving a penalty

They give penalties for intent now do they? Because he jumps no contact is made - no contact, no foul, no penalty. The vine in one of the posts above shows pretty clearly that he jumps over the challenge without contact. His own fault for not getting the penalty that would have been nailed on if he hadn't hurdled it.

It is an infringemt to trip or attempt to trip an opponent. Attempt to = intend to. Pens can indeed be given for intent.

Too early to come up with complete conclusions on him, as WBA didn't really threaten enough and he'll get much bigger tests (although we have been saying that for 2 years...), but in the times he was called into action and the way he handled the ball was pretty epic. He reminded me of Rio Ferdinand in his prime, that sort of ball playing centre back who is perfect for us. Looks technically so good.

West Brom is always a hospitable place to go. Easy journey, good pubs, hilariously miserable but friendly fans. So other than the game it was a great day out.

0 0 away is ok. Saints have always been rubbish against the Pulls style and nothing changes.

JWP worked hard, but he was pushed further forward, and was way less effective than last week. He simply doesn't have the composure to score from tight positions. However before we slag him too much I bet his pass completion beats everybody.

Van Dyke looked awesome, what a buy. JRod is clearly not fit and shouldn't be starting. RK is desperately trying to give him game time but it is costing us. Send him on loan to Burnley. Let him recuperate there. Long is fit and deserves to play.

The defence and midfield played well but Pelle had a poor game (he's allowed them) and as such Saints were never going to score.

We all said 0 0 going up in the car and we were right. Should have put a bet on but that would require some level belief.

Getting back to the form of last year. If you don’t concede you always have a chance. Lots of agro aimed at JWP and Davis. These guys are picked because they help us maintain high ball possession, and with it, control of the game. If you have the ball the oppo can’t shoot. Simple as. If I hear one more commentator/pundit say ‘its not about possession, its what you do with it’ one more time, I think I’ll explode. Last years clean sheet record was much praised. It was achieved by a whole team defensive strategy not through the actions of one or two individuals. JWP and Davis are just cogs in the machine. Yes I agree neither of them can shoot, but that’s not there role in the team.

Concerned at RK saying if you can't score, don't lose. We had mostly a good defensive record last season but didn't score enough goals and here we are again, drawing games we should win. Steven Davis and JWP in midfield may do well at possession and defend the back four but scorers from midfield they are not. As the game went on we needed more fire power and flare which Long or Juanmi could have provided but it seemed to me that RK was put off by the introduction of Berahino and decided to play it too safe right to the end.

Thought I would chuck in my thoughts.

VVD loooked excellent. Going against some tougher forwards will test him but he looked really comfortable on the ball, and can pick out good passes. Looked like he could easily fit into the DM position if needed.

Defence: VVD loooked excellent. Going against some tougher forwards will test him but he looked really comfortable on the ball, and can pick out good passes. Looked like he could easily fit into the DM position if needed. MS lloked fine apart from that drop but a clean sheet is a clean sheet. Targett made a few bad touches early on but had a better second half. Surprised we took off Cedric when he does have a good cross and would have been useful.

Midfield: Ok with out creating. Im gonna say it,,, Davis and JWP are just not up to the rest of the team. They are good players but not top 8 where we want to be. I presume when Classie returns they will feature less but at the moment why not play Romeu?

Forwards: Pelle was did not put a foot wrong really but also did not really impose himself.

I agree with others that Juanmi should of had a run out. I mean, why not?

I thought it was actually a very interesting game from a Saints perspective. VvD was easily the man of the match and I felt we controlled the game pretty much from start to finish. We didn't look like conceeding at all and agree with Ron that we looked like the home side. Just lacked thst creative spark in the final 3rd, players not willing to take a gamble. What I was impressed with was the willingness of both Fonte and VvD to pick up the ball and run at the opposition, both looked very composed on the ball, as for VvD's passing, excellent. We've got ourselves a gem there. Was pleased when SRL went off as he was having a good game for them, bringing the ball down and bringing players into the game, what Pelle should have been doing for us. Overall not an exciting game but I had a great time and a good day in Brum.

I thought it was actually a very interesting game from a Saints perspective. VvD was easily the man of the match and I felt we controlled the game pretty much from start to finish. We didn't look like conceeding at all and agree with Ron that we looked like the home side. Just lacked thst creative spark in the final 3rd, players not willing to take a gamble. What I was impressed with was the willingness of both Fonte and VvD to pick up the ball and run at the opposition, both looked very composed on the ball, as for VvD's passing, excellent. We've got ourselves a gem there. Was pleased when SRL went off as he was having a good game for them, bringing the ball down and bringing players into the game, what Pelle should have been doing for us. Overall not an exciting game but I had a great time and a good day in Brum.

Lambert looked way of the pace yesterday. Pelle had a better game, especially the 2nd half. I was most disappointed with Jrod whose touch was really heavy. That's always been a problem of his; but hopefully it'll improve with game time and fitness.

Edited by shurlock

Any point away is OK, particularly if its a 0-0.

VvD looked a different class than everybody else, yes they'll be harder games but if he plays like that it'll be Toby who? By the end of the season.

Poor judgement from Targett , 9 out of 10 players would have waited for the contact , which you could see coming a mile off. He got lucky that the guy dived too early. But it was still a horrendous misjudgement. He is not ready yet and its one of the fine lines that are costing us. He got into a couple of decent overlap positions , but hasn't the quality RB has. JRod a couple of heavy touches and a poor header and JWP wasted a good Pelle chest down with a really poor touch.

Juanmi is a strange one , I hope its a question of Ron easing him in, rather than a buy that Ron didn't really want. I see no reason why he couldn't of had 10 yesterday .

I saw nothing wrong with singing to Rickie , it was a couple of minutes when he first came off.

With Targett and JWP in the team you have to say a point is a magnificent result.
Was at the game and thought Targett played well second half . JWP got into some great positions but as usual no end product. Thought we played well second half and should have won. Still don't know why Juanmi is not given a chance and VVD is going to be a legend pure class .

Was at the game and thought Targett played well second half . JWP got into some great positions but as usual no end product. Thought we played well second half and should have won. Still don't know why Juanmi is not given a chance and VVD is going to be a legend pure class .

JWP got into great positions and that was part of the problem. Not talking about the shots he skied or skewed; but his build-up play. There was a chance towards the end of the game where Mane hit the side netting from a simple, two-yard JWP layoff; had JWP not picked up or dawdled on the ball before laying it off (was he thinking to shoot?), Mane would have had a much better angle or indeed been clean through. These are things that either come instinctively or they don't.

Koeman is just a very negative manager so we have to just get used to it. More games than not JWP and Davis will start, we'll only have 2 players on the pitch offering any sort of goal threat and he'll continue to be bemused as to why we don't score anough goals.

He's more interested in clean sheets than scoring goals

Didn't we equal our highest 'goals for' tally in the Premier League era last season?