Saints vs. Watford build up thread

Dark Munster

Pelle back for this one, and with Long in 'look like a really good footballer in everything I do except when I am near the football' mode I would expect him and Tadic to come back in.

Watford are decent but beatable.

Score draw as we inch towards a crossroads of either Koeman being backed and staying or Les Reed hitting the reset button.

I still maintain the stance that you should always beat newly promoted teams at home, no matter how arrogant that sounds etc, so I'd be disappointed with a draw. However, I would take 4 points from our next two games right now.

Watford play 442 I think, so I seriously hope Koeman doesn't bother with this 352 bullsh*t he did today.

Also, desperately want Forster back, and tbh, with nothing to lose, I'd drop Stekelenburg for Gazzaniga.

Gazzaniga

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

Romeu Reed

Davis Mane Tadic

Pelle

Bench: Stekelenburg, Yoshida, Martina, Clasie, JWP, Long and Seager

I think we could do with Pelle back, Long a good impact sub- and f*ck it, Seager deserves a chance too surely.

Prediction: Heart says 1-0, Head says 1-1/0-1.

another raft of changes. Not just in players but formation.

will mane play wide or central

Will we play 3 at the back to tackle their obvious 2 up top (who are both very good)

will clasie play? if he does, how long for?

assume pelle will play, will tadic?

we have to get at least 4 points in the next two. simple as that

lose this and I would punt RK that evening

I'd not be unhappy to see a change if we don't win the next two. It's only going to get harder from here on in and there needs to be a reaction to this run from everyone, including the manager.

His comments regarding the academy players annoyed me, because I think they were ill advised and likely to cause damage to the club's reputation. You can afford to say that when your players are setting the world alight, but when you've lost God knows how many in the last couple of months, you can't.

Firstly, 4-4-2. secondly Clasie and Romeu in midfield, thirdly four forwards not non scoring workers after a fashion. Possession doesn't win matches we need goals and Davis, Tadic and JWP won't get them. Try Pelle if fit with Seager (7 in 7 for U21's ) as a pair and Mane and Long wide with Martina and Bertrand at full back.

We gave it a go today in the second half with a 4-4-2 but Tadic and Juanmi fell short although we battered them and gifted another unlikely goal when there was no danger in fact both goals.

Forster

Cedric - Fonte - VvD - Bertrand

Clasie - Wanyama - Davis

Tadic - Pelle - Mane

Subs: Stek, Targett, Yoshida, Romeu, JWP, Jaunmi, Long

Saints 3 Watford 1

Wanyama is suspended. Romeu was probably our best player today and scored and Davis was poor.

I'd not be unhappy to see a change if we don't win the next two. It's only going to get harder from here on in and there needs to be a reaction to this run from everyone, including the manager.

His comments regarding the academy players annoyed me, because I think they were ill advised and likely to cause damage to the club's reputation. You can afford to say that when your players are setting the world alight, but when you've lost God knows how many in the last couple of months, you can't.

Nothing to do with the board selling everything that moves and replacing head of recruitment with a complete novice or the wage structure.

Can call it right now. Koeman will play a defensive, negative team with no width, no pace and no nouse. We'll play well for 30 minutes until they run out of steam and ideas (fitness levels appear to be awful) and then we'll lose to a stupid defensive mistake started by Davis giving the ball away needlessly.

Happens every game and Koeman appears to be showing he is tactically poor, very defensive and has certain favorites that are untouchable.

Can call it right now. Koeman will play a defensive, negative team with no width, no pace and no nouse. We'll play well for 30 minutes until they run out of steam and ideas (fitness levels appear to be awful) and then we'll lose to a stupid defensive mistake started by Davis giving the ball away needlessly.

Happens every game and Koeman appears to be showing he is tactically poor, very defensive and has certain favorites that are untouchable.

Guess you won't be going to the game then just to the bookies to bet on your statement?

Wanyama is suspended. Romeu was probably our best player today and scored and Davis was poor.

Wanyama is suspended for the Watford game.

Ah! Good spot! Romeu in for Big Vic in that case and Reed on the bench. This football manager malarkey is tougher than I thought :)

All the coaching manuals say that 3 at the back is the way to go when playing against 2 up front. However, that would mean playing one of Yoshida or Caulker or maybe a debut for Stephens.

Alternately, you could go traditional and match the 4 4 2. This could put players in their more suited position, in the middle for Mane and on the bench for Long. Davis or JWP to support Cedric and Tadic on the left.

Both of the next 2 games will be difficult, as they are both strong defensive teams that like to counter attack, a big problem for a team that needs 10 chances to score one goal and are prone to give the ball away in dangerous areas.

I'm a Koeman fan but if we play 3/5 at the back in this one I will probably start to turn.

Get Pelle in for Long, and go back to the team that has done well for us in the past. I would play:

----------------Forster (Stek)------------

Cedric----Fonte-----VVD----Bertrand

-----------Romeu-----Clasie-------------

-------------------Davis--------------------

Mane-------------------------Tadic

--------------------Pelle-----------------

Some variant of this personnel is the best available side by miles.

I'm a Koeman fan but if we play 3/5 at the back in this one I will probably start to turn.

Get Pelle in for Long, and go back to the team that has done well for us in the past. I would play:

----------------Forster (Stek)------------

Cedric----Fonte-----VVD----Bertrand

-----------Romeu-----Clasie-------------

-------------------Davis--------------------

Mane-------------------------Tadic

--------------------Pelle-----------------

Some variant of this personnel is the best available side by miles.

Is Pelle fit now as last comment from RK was he will be back for WBA?

@bigadamsport: #saintsfc Koeman insists formation didn't affect result. Says he's talking to board about signings & Pelle back Wednesday

I'm sorry but we were playing worse with Pelle fit than we have been with Mane and Long so what specific difference will having Pelle back make? It's just yet another Koeman excuse which he seems to be making with more and more regularity.

Best performance this year without a shadow of a doubt was against Arsenal. Let's at least learn from that but Koeman never does.

So let's put statuesque Pelle back in and see how much better we are ????

Time for a change. Poch coached and obviously improved players but there is no sign that Koeman does this. We are not fit that is plain for anyone to see. We give it 20 mins every game and that's it. Koeman's tactics are are at best random and at worst guesswork. Our defending is abysmal and has been all year.

The players Koeman has brought in are mostly well short of the standard required for this club with no hope of our coaching improving them...

I am failing to see what Koeman is actually bringing to the party...

Time Koeman was put under pressure and told he got two games now at home to show a dramatic improvement or its curtains. We have gone backwards under him and now we should recognise that.

Glad Pelle is back for two physical encounters.

Seriously hope we do not play 3 at the back and please can Yoshida not feature. Would like to see Forster on the bench for a lift and obviously if fit start him on Saturday.

Midfield should be Romeu and Clasie.

Worry about Fonte against Ighalo and Deeney. He hasn't been near the player we know him to be this season.

And hopefully one game without a defensive error!

Forster in for steklenberg surely? Defence have no confidence he will save anything. Fed up with opposition scoring with most attempts on goal.

Cedric is not good enough but better than cuco the clown.

Bertrand needs to up his game, nowhere near the standard he set last year. Trouble is the understudy is absolute garbage. Target has no pace and can't cross a road.

Claise and Romeu must be the preferred pairing in CM going fwd but whether Claise starts on weds we will have to wait and see.

Tadic only produces when Pelle plays. So in theory to get our main creative outlet serving his purpose we will have to play Pelle as well. Mane needs to play upfront off shoulder of last defender. doesn't have awareness and vision to be in attacking midfield position. Ball control is awful as well.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

These next 2 home matches IMO will set the tone for the rest of the season.

Get 6 points and the world will seem a much better place and spirits will be lifted, as of today we probably need 15 points to secure another year in the PL (sorry going a bit Dalek like there!) so to be on 30 points in a week's time would all but alleviate the threat of relegation.

3 or 4 points would probably keep us in about our current league position and hopefully maintain the 7 point gap to the relegation zone.

0 or 1 would probably drag us further down the table and towards the drop zone and with Man U and Arsenal away to follow we could be deep in trouble after then.

I won't use the word luck but surely some match circumstances have to change at some point, such as our chances on goal go in and what seems like every mistake which we make is punished with a goal against as has been the case in the last 3 matches.

The thing that really bothers me is that the team spirit that we have had for the past 5 years is rapidly disappearing. The teams that have over-performed this year (Bournemouth, Watford, Palace) have it in spades. We don't. It's not just lack of confidence. The teams of the 90s weren't very good but generally battled for everything. Beginning to think that RK is part of the problem. I think that he may well go in the summer, along with Mane and Wanyama at least. Need to get the next appointment right, and get player recruitment right. Going to be a tough next 12 months.

or maybe a debut for Stephens.

League debut maybe, he made his club debut in the FA Cup in 2012, second half substitute for Dan Harding.

Still not clear what is happening with Jack, he played for our u21s on Monday which I think means he cannot go out on loan again this season, but maybe I am wrong and U21 games don't count.

Time Koeman was put under pressure and told he got two games now at home to show a dramatic improvement or its curtains. We have gone backwards under him and now we should recognise that.

I agree with this at the moment but can anyone convince me I am wrong

I agree with this at the moment but can anyone convince me I am wrong

I hope so. We finished 7th and qualified for Europe last season, so any suggestion we've gone backwards under Koeman is rather premature.

Edited by DuncanRG

And to think that just a couple of months back some were worried about Barcelona filching him from us.

I hope so. We finished 7th and qualified for Europe last season, so any suggestion we've gone backwards under Koeman is rather premature.

Surely we are not going to qualify for Europe or finish 7th this season so we will have gone backwards.