• Romeu
    • Clasie
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Soares
    • Austin
    • Yoshida

Playing devils advocate, in the last two games Austin has had Shane Long in a fantastic position but has shot from a stupid angle with a player in the way - not a fan of that. Possible reason he's being left on the bench for now?

Yes but fair do's, Long missed a few as well so Austin was just as likely to score as Long.

I am not surprising anyone by saying that defense is making all the difference in the world

4 matches

3 goals scored - 0 allowed

13 points

to have 10 points over 4 matches while only scoring 3 goals is pretty unreal

Another incredible thing to think about:

If we had let in just one goal in each of the last 4 games - we would have 3 points (D-L-D-D) instead of 10 points (W-D-W-W).

more incredibly:

If we had let in just one goal in each of the last 4 games -We would be in 12th place (33 points) instead of 6th place. (40 points)

Fine margins indeed in this League. Goalkeeping is so important.

Romeu is far better than Wanyama and Clasie is improving the more games he plays - these two ought to be our CMs going forward and let VW leave in the offseason

Getting bored of saying the same thing about Pelle - was same as SRL at the end - no mobility of movement so we are really slow going forward - play Austin for a run of games - with Long and /or Mane

great win

thought the initial set up was not that good, was a dull first half.

Much better with Cedric on the right.

Long surely has made Pelle a fixture on the bench. He is a much better 'target man'.

VvD was a beast

Rom, Clasie, JwP were good.

Long my MoM closely followed by VvD

How's that relegation battle going?

As much as I love VVD, I'd rather have Toby. He's been the best CB in the whole league so far this season.

Six clean sheets mate. Six. In a row. Did that happen while alderweireld was playing for us? He's an excellent defender and I would have liked us to have signed him, but can you honestly say we're missing him?

Getting bored of saying the same thing about Pelle - was same as SRL at the end - no mobility of movement so we are really slow going forward - play Austin for a run of games - with Long and /or Mane

Not sure mobility is the main issue with Pelle. He's been in position to see plenty of the ball over the last two games, but almost nothing has stuck to him. His first touch has either been technically poor, allowing his CB to nip round the side and snatch it away, or he has deliberately attempted an incredibly low-margin flick which he either muffs or which doesn't find one of our players. The latter is something he's been guilty of the whole time he's been here, but of more concern is the fact that he now seems to regularly get bullied in absolutely straightforward hold-up situations.

Just got to my hotel in the Brecon Beacons back from the game.

What a strange day. Really friendly people around the ground and I expected a passionate crowd inside. But WTF, that was an awful atmosphere, which started rubbing off on us, even the celebrations for the goal seemed laboured lol ... Shane seemed to recognise this geeing up the crowd. Nothing seemed to get going but we were in control through out. VVD And Romeu class .. Target and Pelle **** poor, Pelles moaning seemed to be annoying the others. Austin deserves a start. Can see Mane gone in the summer as well as Tadic

Not sure mobility is the main issue with Pelle. He's been in position to see plenty of the ball over the last two games, but almost nothing has stuck to him. His first touch has either been technically poor, allowing his CB to nip round the side and snatch it away, or he has deliberately attempted an incredibly low-margin flick which he either muffs or which doesn't find one of our players. The latter is something he's been guilty of the whole time he's been here, but of more concern is the fact that he now seems to regularly get bullied in absolutely straightforward hold-up situations.

Lambert always used to need a run of games after coming back from a lay off before he got firing again so I'm prepared to give him a few more games !

We love our 1-0's at Swansea.

We've totally turned our season around, no one at the club panicked and we're not reaping the rewards of that. I really like Romeu to be honest, I think he's a damn fine player. Clasie is growing into a key component of our setup and Virgil is class.

Still plenty to look forward to.

Targett defended really well today, especially up against their tricky winger in the second half. Decent performances through the side. Thought we kept the ball better when Romeu was on the pitch.

Don't want to say anything negative, so I won't mention Pelle.

The system seems to suit him really well. So good to see a fellow Saints fan involved in the current match day squad.

Long may it continue.

Thought every one was excellent except Pelle who can't seem to control a ball and Long who other than his goal offered little . His first touch often letting him down .

Was some fantastic crosses coming in and its a shame that once again Koeman compromises the team for Pelle . Austin should have come on much earlier .

Thought we invited too much pressure from Swansea in the 2nd half although they rarely threatened . Risky way to play .

Really wish Koeman would stop meddling with the team though . It was a massive defensive lapse which gave us the goal . We could have been so much better

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Nice try you Joey.

David in Sweden, answer please!

Good result and pleased for Long.

Can\t be 100% Norm..... but Ted (God bless him) did well to keep us up as long as he did in the first seasons after 1966. BUT in those days it was only 2 points for a win and the top division played 42 games and that yielded just 71 points after 84 games. If you convert that over to 3 points for a win, he had 100 points after 86 games.

As we recall Lawrie Mac was in the job only half a season before we were relegated.......so he s out of the running .

Chris Nicholl had 2 complete seasons of 42 games a season .....so in 84 games he accumulated 98 points.

Gordon Strachan came after 8 games in his first season ...so only 37 points were his.

Second complete season we got 52 pts......so his total was 89 points after 66 games.

Ronald Koeman had managed to pass the 100 point mark ....after just 63 games .........ANOTHER CLUB RECORD ! :toppa:

Edited by david in sweden

We love our 1-0's at Swansea.

We've totally turned our season around, no one at the club panicked and we're not reaping the rewards of that. I really like Romeu to be honest, I think he's a damn fine player. Clasie is growing into a key component of our setup and Virgil is class.

Still plenty to look forward to.

Agreed. He really is isn't he? Playing more, becoming more and more influential and looking more and more confident.

I am not surprising anyone by saying that defense is making all the difference in the world

4 matches

3 goals scored - 0 allowed

13 points

to have 10 points over 4 matches while only scoring 3 goals is pretty unreal

Another incredible thing to think about:

If we had let in just one goal in each of the last 4 games - we would have 3 points (D-L-D-D) instead of 10 points (W-D-W-W).

more incredibly:

If we had let in just one goal in each of the last 4 games -We would be in 12th place (33 points) instead of 6th place. (40 points)

Fine margins indeed in this League. Goalkeeping is so important.

If my granny had balls she be my grandad

Had to miss out today since it was the nippers 6th birthday party. (I did put in several representations that taking the boy and his mates on an away day to Swansea would be a perfect birthday however the ex hates me......)

Glad we got the result, I don't care how we play if we come home with 3points in the bag. The classy performances will come, results matter.

Pelle is frustrating me, is he trying too hard? Or not trying hard enough?

Nah he definitely shot, even held his hand up to Long in apology whilst Long went nuts at him.

At the final whistle Austin turned straight to Long and apologised. Long smiled and they hugged before coming over to our fans and celebrating.

From where I was it looked an easy win. They barely had a chance other than the one Siggurdson blasted over just before half time from a good position.

Van Dijk MOM I think, he's stupidly good. Pelle was gash. He lost the ball numerous times due to carelessness. I'd definitely leave him out of the next game.

Away win and into 6th. Whats not to like ?

Well, only the fact that it was inspite of Koeman's team selection, not because of it. Does he fancy Pelle ?

Six clean sheets in a row and still Alpine thinks he is a better manager than Ron!

:mcinnes:

Excellent performances from one and all again. Up to 6th only one point of 5th.

COYS!!

Interesting stats:

Only one team has conceded less goals away from home than us (Spurs: 10 vs our 11) but also only three teams have scored less (Newcastle, WBA and Villa).

Yep - if Goodison Park is the best place to go for neutrals' entertainment this season I think following us away has got to be among the worst.

I doubted Ron's starting line up, but his explanation of wanting to exploit Swansea's weakness defensively from crosses worked out with the delivery from Davo and JWP to Long the crucial moments apart from the disallowed goal. Once again the back three worked well with VVD proving yet again he is one of the Prem's best CBs - aerially there's probably no better. I thought Romeu was tremendous and showed a willingness to get forward; what a buy he's turning out to be. Pelle had a better second half but needed to and Long proved once again he's a better player in the thick of it than out wide.

Great result, happy. Fine margins is true though. At 1-0 we're always only a bad decision or a deflection away from an equaliser. Understandably the tone on this thread changes with the result - sometimes it's too much praise when we shade a 1-0 win and too much negativity when we lose narrowly too.

I think we're better than Man Utd. Very close to West Ham. Weaker than the top four (although any of them are capable of having a bad run and giving us an opportunity). So 5th place is a definite possibility...even higher if we continue this form.

But given where we were a short 6 games ago, none of us should be too despairing if we finish in the top half.

Interesting stats:

Only one team has conceded less goals away from home than us (Spurs: 10 vs our 11) but also only three teams have scored less (Newcastle, WBA and Villa).

Yeah, never likely to see a 3-2 or 4-3 with us.