Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Stanciu looks like a good fit for Tadic or Redmond's role. Floats from side to side, can carry the ball, likes a short pass around the box. Given JWP doesn't merit a start itbwpukd also be good to have another dead ball option. Quite why we never let VVD have a go from free-kicks I don't know.

Looks genuinely two-footed if the fact that there's a couple of screamers with either foot in his highlights reels is anything to go by.

:adore::adore::adore: I find your complete knowledge of everything Saints related impressive, and your unparalleled "behind the scenes" gathering of information leaves me awestruck! Please tell me when we are definitely going to sign this Romanian, where he will play in the formation, what wages he is on etc. There is only one "ITK" for me!!

No re-sale value so no chance

Thought we looked very very lightweight against Watford and United so someone with Bonys power and strength would really help us. Instead we are going for a Romanian at 5'7 and 11 stone.....

After watching preseason and these first 2 games I'm not sure that new players will fix us . The formation has sent us massively backwards and I just can't see that fixed with a few signings .

We need the formation that suits us and has done in the past .

I fear that the manager will persist with this formation until this season is too far gone to achieve anything . Why the board allowed someone to change something that had worked so well in the past is beyond me .

Yes we need quality signings but I can't see them transforming us into a competitive side whilst the rest of the squad is forced into this formation

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Linked with Oliver Burke from Forest in the Sun today our Mane replacement it says....he is a winger allegedly so that's how much I trust that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrissake he looks a handful but ever so slightly "raw" from the (admittedly little) I've seen of him. Probs not true anyway.

Not many goals in him though, if I heard correctly last night.

Can play anywhere in midfield, has pace, is intelligent on the ball, can put in great crosses on the run. I reckon he can finish as well.

Alas, I don't think we've got much chance at all of signing him.

The evidence of the last four years clearly shows that we have done a lot of business towards the end of the window and that we have often said we are happy with what we have but buy players anyway. We have no history of bringing so much money in and then not spending any of it. We will buy one probably two players and you will be eating eating humble pie as you put it. Other less polite people would call it looking like a reactionary fool.

Just maybe we have to forget the last 4 years and that this is the change of direction mentioned a few weeks back.

Just maybe we have to forget the last 4 years and that this is the change of direction mentioned a few weeks back.

That's nonsense abd no reason to think that at all so clear speculation. As I said we will definitely be signing another player and anyone who thinks otherwise is hard of thinking.

We probably have around £30m TBF.

We should have more than left from sales alone.

You'd expect most Premier League clubs to be able to spend £20 million above any sales they have, don't see that we would be any different. But doubt we are suddenly going to spend £50 million.

But IF it is 3 players and one is Stanciu at around £10 million, then not beyond possibility that one could be around £20 million, another around £12-15 million.

I'd like Ings, thought he looked really good in a terrible Burnley side. Not an out and out striker, but quick and able to run at people, plus is fairly either footed with quick feet around the box. I'd say he'd be a english (and not as good) version of Jese.

Why he went to Liverpool though I have no idea, but a few Liverpool mates said he looked very good in the limited game time he got, even when shoved out wide.

Bony would also be excellent, just the striker we need, but the kind of striker you'd think we could play with one up front.

More and more the formation just doesn't work for me, not for our players or the potential signings.

You think the change of direction is to intentionally make the squad worse?

Maybe Les and Ralph sold the new contracts they got Tadic and Bertrand and Forster to sign on the back of this new direction.

That'll be it.

We should have more than left from sales alone.

Your maths are probably better than mine then, because I believe we have around £30m left from player sales.

We generally spend what we make from sales. The rest goes on wages, running the club & reducing the debt to the shareholder.

Don't you know that's the kind of crazy talk that bankrupted the skates.

No re-sale value so no chance

Thought we looked very very lightweight against Watford and United so someone with Bonys power and strength would really help us. Instead we are going for a Romanian at 5'7 and 11 stone.....

Bony - we would be selling him next year so plenty of resale value still ;-)

Your maths are probably better than mine then, because I believe we have around £30m left from player sales.

We generally spend what we make from sales. The rest goes on wages, running the club & reducing the debt to the shareholder.

Player sales this summer = £65m

Players purchases this summer = £24m

So £40m up on transfers this summer

Like tajjuk says above you'd expect £20m was available before player sales started (similar budget to Watford, Middlesbrough and Bournemouth)

So 40 + 20 = 60

We also have the compensation from Koeman and Co

After watching preseason and these first 2 games I'm not sure that new players will fix us . The formation has sent us massively backwards and I just can't see that fixed with a few signings .

I fear that the manager will persist with this formation until this season is too far gone to achieve anything . Why the board allowed someone to change something that had worked so well in the past is beyond me .

Yes we need quality signings but I can't see them transforming us into a competitive side whilst the rest of the squad is forced into this formation

so far this season, we have played 8, won 5, drawn 2, lost 1, scored 12 and conceded 5, and you claim we have gone "massively backwards". Perhaps just a tad kneejerk to God knows what.

so far this season, we have played 8, won 5, drawn 2, lost 1, scored 12 and conceded 5, and you claim we have gone "massively backwards". Perhaps just a tad kneejerk to God knows what.

Right so you include us beating very poor sides as a sign that this formation is working ?

Right so you include us beating very poor sides as a sign that this formation is working ?

results speak for themselves.

please explain how the results prove at this time that we have gone "massively backwards".

results speak for themselves.

please explain how the results prove at this time that we have gone "massively backwards".

Well for a start we are already four points down on the comparative results from last year. Fairly nonsensical for either side of the debate to count pre season games as an indicator of form. It's too early to say definitively that this formation has made us worse, but the initial signs are certainly not promising.

Would you say that you were naturally a pessimistic type of person and where are you when things are going well?

Player sales this summer = £65m

Players purchases this summer = £24m

So £40m up on transfers this summer

Like tajjuk says above you'd expect £20m was available before player sales started (similar budget to Watford, Middlesbrough and Bournemouth)

So 40 + 20 = 60

We also have the compensation from Koeman and Co

Not mention we've been transfer neutral for the previous two seasons. Our transfer spend has basically been zero for 3 years, whilst everything, match day income, commercial income, sponsorship, TV income has all increased over that period.

If we can't do some actual transfer spend then serious questions have to asked where that money has gone.

I think the failure to beat some very poor sides by more goals is pretty inductive IMO. Consistently through pre-season and against Watford we have looked pretty sluggish in attack, how many clear cut chances have we created over those games? Not many from what I remember.

Losing away to Utd you can write off, a Mourinho team, his first home game, home debuts for Pogba and Ibra, them spending £150 million, they were never going to be complacent in that game and that is the only way we'd beat a team like that really.

But the other games, if you want to include pre-season then they are not a good advocate for this new formation. Pre-season is about performance, not reaults and the performances were pretty average IMO.

Fonte out

Deneyer, Stanciu and some random like Martina in

everyone will then say we are far stronger than last season and Puel is better than Poch and Koeman

Budget: £30m

- Fonte out.

+ Berahino (£20m)

+ Boufal / Stanciu / Zieych (£10m)

+ Denayer (Loan)

(Still need a DM, but I've assumed Fonte is off so Denayer replaces him)

basically, our two forwards will be wingers.

brilliant

Yep. Crap isn't it?!

I share the fears of the majority on this forum. We have a pretty dire manager who is trying to play with Les Reid's fantasy football team, whilst our owner pockets transfer fee after transfer fee and TV rights after TV rights.

I think we have failed to replace Wanyama, Mané and Pelle.

Until we do so we can't even stand still... We're not mid table material, we are currently relegation material... Many are forgetting the Europa factor. More games less players more reliance on kids.

Oh dear.

12 days and counting. Let's keep praying Peul can actually attract some of his players in - good ones.

I am worried, I am underwhelmed.

LOL at those believing we'll sign three new players before deadline. We'll be lucky to see one through the door (unless Les is panicking now of course).

Nicely set up for the 'no win' scenario though. If we don't sign three you can complain about that, if we do, it's only because Les is panicking. No thought about whether it might take more than a week to get a new player through the door and these deals might have been in the pipeline for a while?

Edited by TwoPints

Bony would be a great signing for us but it won't happen. His wages pretty much rule us out.

He would be great. However Puel has ruled out signing a striker in an interview when he stated our striking options were fine, and we wouldn't be signing one. We will be looking at attacking midfielders, but not strikers.....

Yep. Crap isn't it?!

I share the fears of the majority on this forum. We have a pretty dire manager who is trying to play with Les Reid's fantasy football team, whilst our owner pockets transfer fee after transfer fee and TV rights after TV rights.

Until we do so we can't even stand still... We're not mid table material, we are currently relegation material... Many are forgetting the Europa factor. More games less players more reliance on kids.

Oh dear.

12 days and counting. Let's keep praying Peul can actually attract some of his players in - good ones.

Oh, I must have missed the vote where the majority said they fear that we have a dire manager and our owners and pocketing transfer fee after transfer fee. Can you point out out to me? Thanks

Oh, I must have missed the vote where the majority said they fear that we have a dire manager and our owners and pocketing transfer fee after transfer fee. Can you point out out to me? Thanks

I wouldn't bother. Robbie has already stated "we are going down!!!!!!!!!" As a definitive statement of fact, less than 2 games into the season. His opinions have little basis in reality.

He can't even spell Les Reed correctly so the chances of him being able to read and interpret a set of accounts is unlikely. I would imagine he is about 12 years old.

For me we have been competitive. Watford werent far away from a result against chelsea so the asuption they are s#!t is not right

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

It's too early to say definitively that this formation has made us worse

That is exactly the point, particularly when results have hardly been disastrous, and we don't even know how the squad will look come the end of the window.

The concern is whether the bedwetters are prepared to give it the reasonable amount of time before they start casting judgement and, worse, booing or calling for the manager's head. Clearly the majority on here are not.

Yep. Crap isn't it?!

Oh dear.

An honest judgement. Wish more people would say how they really feel.

That is exactly the point, particularly when results have hardly been disastrous, and we don't even know how the squad will look come the end of the window.

The concern is whether the bedwetters are prepared to give it the reasonable amount of time before they start casting judgement and, worse, booing or calling for the manager's head. Clearly the majority on here are not.

It's a pain wheb people cherry pick a quite from what I said. It's too early to say definitively that this formation has made us worse but nothing wrong with saying that initial signs are not promising. Only people like you who make a big fuss about others expressing an initial opinion.

At Old Trafford we had 57% possession and 13 shots on goal compared to their 12. It was quality in the final third that did for us, not the formation.

I will be delighted if we sign 3 players but it will look a bit last minute panic mode. I personally would like us to sign a player who has played in the Pl and if a forward. Has scored a decent amount of goals as that is what we need most. My preference would be Bony as he is big strong and has played at a smaller club before making the big move. Hopefully he will want to really rekindle his career with us

Player who has played in the Premier League.

Forward.

Scored a decent amount of goals.

Has anyone checked if Charlie Austin is availa........ oh !!!

At Old Trafford we had 57% possession and 13 shots on goal compared to their 12. It was quality in the final third that did for us, not the formation.

Other than Shane Longs scuff shot I don't remember a single shot on goal. Definitely definitely definitely did not have 13 shots on goal. Unless they are counting Forsters goal kicks?

Other than Shane Longs scuff shot I don't remember a single shot on goal. Definitely definitely definitely did not have 13 shots on goal. Unless they are counting Forsters goal kicks?

You were probably posting some of your rubbish on here with one of your log ins and missed them