Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

I have heard that Virgil is off to Chelsea and the deal is already done. Apparently when we played them recently he attended, all suited and booted, and watched from a Chelsea private box. It does not look good from Paddy Power either as they have him as odds on to Chelsea. To cap it all I have also just heard Eric Black on Talksport and when asked about VVD he did not say he was staying just that he thought he had options. I would love him to stay but not feeling hopeful.

Just for perspective, anything north of £50m would make him the most expensive defender ever.

Is he better than Stones? Yes, IMO. Does that mean we will get £60 - 70m for him? Doubtful, unless there is a serious bidding war. I can't see Man City wanting to go huge after their abysmal CB recruiting efforts (Mangala, Otamendi etc...) so I reckon barring an overseas super-club bid it will be Chelsea for him.

Of course, I would like us to tell him he is staying for another year.

I have heard that Virgil is off to Chelsea and the deal is already done. Apparently when we played them recently he attended, all suited and booted, and watched from a Chelsea private box. It does not look good from Paddy Power either as they have him as odds on to Chelsea. To cap it all I have also just heard Eric Black on Talksport and when asked about VVD he did not say he was staying just that he thought he had options. I would love him to stay but not feeling hopeful.

Paddy Power have got him as odds on?! We may as well give up all hope now then.

:mcinnes:

I am hopeful he will stay for one more year but when a bidding war starts it's very difficult for someone to ignore. Even if he had every intention to stay for one more year - and even if his GF wants to stay - it will be difficult. Winchester to Cobham is only 30 minutes more than Staplewood!

IF he does go we need to make sure it is 60-70m for 3 main reasons.

1) he has 5 years on his contract. It needs to provide value for the club.

2) he is that good. Not the greatest ever but even though it's a WR for a defender it's not relevant because priced just go up and up.

3) because priced go up we need to get at least 2 decent players (wages included) for the fee.

Hopefully we can secure Ruben Samedo before he goes if he does.

As ever it's going to be another exciting summer!!!

Apparently when we played them recently he attended, all suited and booted, and watched from a Chelsea private box.

of course he did :lol:

utter crap.

I dont dispute there is a possibility of him ending up at Chelsea but this situation ? really ?

It is so difficult to post on this forum with the odd snippet you hear. Actually my info came from someone on the staff who was at the game. Like so many I do not know why I bother. Back to lurking and picking out the good and not dissing the ones I do not like.

If this did happen then you would think it would be all over the Chelsea forum.

Virgil is pictured in the new interior paint-refurb of st mary's in this season's kit I've just seen on Twitter. all a bit odd

@talksaints by the way

Edited by DT

So, he retweets what a Dutch player says and the Liverpool press put 2 and 2 together to form a story. The last time this happened, I seem to recall Lovren tweeting about Fonte and them all thinking Fonte was going to LFC. If it happens, it happens, but I am not going to get overly excited by Empire of the Kop.

So, he retweets what a Dutch player says and the Liverpool press put 2 and 2 together to form a story. The last time this happened, I seem to recall Lovren tweeting about Fonte and them all thinking Fonte was going to LFC. If it happens, it happens, but I am not going to get overly excited by Empire of the Kop.

Moral of the story - footballers should not support their friends and fellow countrymen on Social Media cos some **** head pours over their tweets looking for dubious links regarding transfers :mcinnes:

We should do all we can to keep him and if not sell him outside the PL IMO, even if it's at a lower selling fee. I'd rather see him playing for Juve or Real or Barca etc. for £40 million than for Chelsea, Man Utd, or effing Liverpool for £50 million.

Maybe the deal with Chelsea is to loan him back to us for one year......ie they get him signed now, but we keep him for one year, everyone happy.....and maybe we get Ake or Christenssen next summer?!!!

Is this a tongue in cheek assumption or head up your arse assumption...???

Do these loan back deals ever happen anymore? There's always so much fee paid, the buying club want them now. I guess for PL clubs buying from the lower leagues a loan back somtimes makes sense as it's usually not insane money (But again, that will probably change), but someone will not pay £50m and then let us keep him for another year anyway.

It is so difficult to post on this forum with the odd snippet you hear. Actually my info came from someone on the staff who was at the game. Like so many I do not know why I bother. Back to lurking and picking out the good and not dissing the ones I do not like.

Actually I dont think its that unlikely. He could have easily cleared it with the club that he wanted to watch the game and Chelsea have offered him a seat in a box. Its not really that much different from watchin a game from the directors box. What would be more interesting to know who else was in the same box.

Actually I dont think its that unlikely. He could have easily cleared it with the club that he wanted to watch the game and Chelsea have offered him a seat in a box. Its not really that much different from watching a game from the directors box. What would be more interesting to know who else was in the same box.

Sorry for clarity, i think its highly possible that he was in a box for the saints game. I think its a bit of a leap to assume he is joining them. Although if a Chelsea steward / member of staff who may have seen him at the game could easily put 2+2 together to make 5.

Virgil is pictured in the new interior paint-refurb of st mary's in this season's kit I've just seen on Twitter. all a bit odd

@talksaints by the way

He's in the lift that goes from the main reception, to replace the pic of a few players which had Fonte in the middle of it, that happened after Norwich FA Cup but before last Monday. It's a posed one with the changing room text behind him, strangely the text behind him isn't the same as is actually on the wall of the changing room, it's a faked up backdrop.

Not a big deal now anyway as the kit's being replaced within a couple of months.

Moral of the story - footballers should not support their friends and fellow countrymen on Social Media cos some **** head pours over their tweets looking for dubious links regarding transfers :mcinnes:

Didn't Virgil start doing stuff on Twitter about us before he moved?

Huge club, champions league, well known manager, good at doing business with Saints

all very possible

He should be able to sign for the Champions or the richest club in the country. The kind of teams who can buy players from Liverpool, or flog their cast offs to Liverpool.

Would be such a sh it move for him.

He should be able to sign for the Champions or the richest club in the country. The kind of teams who can buy players from Liverpool, or flog their cast offs to Liverpool.

Would be such a sh it move for him.

totally agree, he would waltz into Chelsea, city, united

He'll still be worth over 50 million in a year with 4 years left, we should hold firm, doubt we will though.

Not if he gets a bad injury or has a drop in form over a season.....on the other hand next year 80million will be the new 50million the way transfer fees are going up.

Not if he gets a bad injury or has a drop in form over a season.....on the other hand next year 80million will be the new 50million the way transfer fees are going up.

He's just had a bad injury and he's still looking at a 50 million asking price.

We didn't need to sell last year, or the year before - so they told us.

So that's news to me.

No football club ever says it needs to sell, even after relegation, as to do so would simply drive down the prices they might get for any player sold. Don't believe every word that Saints, or any other club or media organisation say. There will always be an agenda behind their statements.

He's just had a bad injury, nobody really knows how well he is recovering from that. Suppose if Saints thought he might not be same player again, it might be a good move to flog him off now!

Has he just had a bad injury or a minor injury that has taken a long time to heal? For example, I fractured my scaphoid and it took an age to not recover before having to have it pinned, and more moths to get strength back. Not a bad injury at all, in fact a very minor one that has taken over a year to sort out properly, and still not back to where I was before I fractured it.

And anyway, what actually was his injury? Not sure I have ever seen what it was.

Has he just had a bad injury or a minor injury that has taken a long time to heal? For example, I fractured my scaphoid and it took an age to not recover before having to have it pinned, and more moths to get strength back. Not a bad injury at all, in fact a very minor one that has taken over a year to sort out properly, and still not back to where I was before I fractured it.

And anyway, what actually was his injury? Not sure I have ever seen what it was.

It's all very hush hush isn't it. No idea what his injury was. Broken foot? Achilles? ankle ligaments? It was something kinda bad anyway, as his leg was immobilized for weeks.

Never have I wanted a player to stay so badly, just to shove two fingers up to all the ****s in the media that have been shopping him around all season. Even when he doesn't play it's all the commentators can talk about. Just **** off already.

Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool manager says club have spoken to transfer targets

"The world is not full of players who will make us better immediately but clearly there are a few out there," said German Klopp.

"We have spoken to them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39973999

I await Liverpool's bid for VVD next week

I await a tapping up complaint.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-05-19/saints-matchday-magazine-southampton-stoke-city

nside the Stoke City edition the 25-year-old talks exclusively to SAINTS about his recovery from injury and how he has grown as a leader over the course of the season.

He also heaps praise on young defender Jack Stephens and reflects on his campaign before being sidelined.*